|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it when Sophie becomes ill in Chapter 21?
2. Who in Isabelle's apartment building is taken by the Germans but told that her children can stay in Chapter 21?
3. Who is with Isabelle when they hear commotion at the camp in Chapter 37?
4. Where do Vianne and her father go to talk in Chapter 33?
5. When does Chapter 36 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of war developed in Chapter 29?
2. Why does Vianne concede to having sex with Von Richter?
3. How does Isabelle describe her time at the concentration camp in Chapter 38?
4. How are the characters of Vianne and Isabelle compared in Chapter 29?
5. How is the theme of womanhood developed in Chapter 32?
6. What does Isabelle think about during her torture in Chapter 34?
7. Why does Rachel give her son to Vianne to care for him in Chapter 23?
8. How is Gaetan's return described in Chapter 38?
9. How does Rachel respond to the death of Sarah in the narrative?
10. What is revealed through Vianne's actions in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of war and identity in the novel. How are these themes developed through character, symbolism, and imagery? How does the war change the way the characters perceive themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Vianne's pregnancy in the novel. With whose child is Vianne pregnant? Why does she choose not to reveal the child's father? How is this character described in the contemporary timeline?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Madame Babineau in The Nightingale. How does Madame Babineau help Isabelle in her missions for the resistance? What happens to Madame Babineau in the novel?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)