|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vianne's father greet her in Carriveau in Chapter 33?
2. What has become of Rachel and Marc in Chapter 37?
3. Gaeton tells Isabelle in Chapter 29 that he knows every time they kiss, it is what?
4. Whom does the black ribbon on the apple tree signify?
5. Who stitches shut Isabelle's gunshot wound in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the Nazi's believe Isabelle's confession in Chapter 34?
2. How is the theme of loss developed in Chapters 22 and 23?
3. What symbolism is revealed through Isabelle's dream in Chapter 27?
4. What does Vianne say about hate in Chapter 38?
5. Where does Vianne go in order to search for Isabelle in Chapter 37?
6. What causes the changes in Vianne's character in Chapter 22?
7. How is the theme of war developed further in Chapter 33?
8. What is represented symbolically by Julien's sacrifice for his daughter in Chapter 34?
9. How does Von Richter's suggestion regarding the orphanage help to develop the plot of the novel?
10. How is Gaetan's return described in Chapter 38?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Julien in the novel. What is Julien's relationship like with his daughters? How does the relationship between Julien, Isabelle, and Vianne change in the course of the story? What happens to Julien?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Isabelle's involvement with the French Resistance effort. How does Isabelle become involved in the resistance? What actions does she commit for the resistance? What dangers does she face in the course of her actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism relating to the apple tree at Le Jardin. Why does Vianne tie pieces of cloth to the apple tree? What do these pieces of cloth symbolize? What becomes of the apple tree?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)