|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new German drink each morning in Chapter 27?
2. From whom is the letter that Vianne reads to Isabelle in Chapter 38?
3. Whom does Vianne have nightmares about in Chapter 27?
4. What do the Germans do to Julien in Chapter 34?
5. Who tells Isabelle about the recruitment of women for clerical work in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of love further developed in Chapter 32?
2. How are the characters of Vianne and Isabelle compared in Chapter 29?
3. What is symbolized by the cloths tied to the apple tree in the narrative?
4. How has the setting of Carriveau changed in Chapter 33?
5. What causes the changes in Vianne's character in Chapter 22?
6. Why is Isabelle unable to help her neighbors in Chapter 23?
7. How does Von Richter's suggestion regarding the orphanage help to develop the plot of the novel?
8. How is Isabelle's return home described in Chapter 38?
9. How is the theme of loss developed in Chapters 22 and 23?
10. What is revealed through Vianne's actions in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism relating to the apple tree at Le Jardin. Why does Vianne tie pieces of cloth to the apple tree? What do these pieces of cloth symbolize? What becomes of the apple tree?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of love developed in The Nightingale? What characters in the novel fall in love? What does love mean to these characters? How does the author develop this theme through character, setting, symbolism, and imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Madame Babineau in The Nightingale. How does Madame Babineau help Isabelle in her missions for the resistance? What happens to Madame Babineau in the novel?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)