|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Vianne go to for papers for the Jewish orphan in Chapter 30?
2. Who is the French policeman that Vianne sees taking Madame Fournier and her son Gilles away in Chapter 27?
3. Who is holding Isabelle captive in Chapter 33?
4. Who claims to have shot Beck in the chest in Chapter 25?
5. When she is asked about Daniel in the rations line in Chapter 29, from whom does Isabelle say she adopted him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isabelle think about during her torture in Chapter 34?
2. How is Gaetan's return described in Chapter 38?
3. How is the theme of love further developed in Chapter 32?
4. How is the theme of loss developed in Chapters 22 and 23?
5. How does Isabelle describe her time at the concentration camp in Chapter 38?
6. How is the theme of loss developed in Chapter 25?
7. How is the theme of war developed in Chapter 29?
8. What symbolism is revealed through Isabelle's dream in Chapter 27?
9. How is the theme of love developed in Chapter 25?
10. What is revealed through the conversation between Vianne and Gaetan in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Von Richter in The Nightingale. What causes Von Richter to come to Le Jardin? How does Von Richter differ from Beck? Do you think that Von Richter is an empathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the plot structure of The Nightingale. Where in the narrative do each of the following occur: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement? Who are the protagonists of the story? Who are the antagonists? Do you consider the ending to be a "happy ending"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Isabelle's involvement with the French Resistance effort. How does Isabelle become involved in the resistance? What actions does she commit for the resistance? What dangers does she face in the course of her actions?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)