|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Isabelle say the Nazis are in Carriveau in Chapter 8?
2. Who claims to have recommended Isabelle for the resistance efforts?
3. Where do Gaetan and Isabelle run for protection from the bombing in Chapter 6?
4. Where does Beck say he was present during the bombing in Chapter 9?
5. Who is Isabelle's hero?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Isabelle's character through her first conversation with Anouk?
2. How are Vianne's views on war described in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Vianne not write to Antoine in Chapter 20?
4. What leads to Vianne's questioning the Germans in Chapter 17? What are the repercussions of this action?
5. What themes are introduced in Chapter 1?
6. What does the church represent symbolically in Chapter 6?
7. What lies does Isabelle relate in Chapter 15? Why?
8. What is revealed through Isabelle's encounter with the man by the propaganda posters in Chapter 12?
9. Why is Isabelle successful in her mission in Chapter 19?
10. How is the scene described as Isabelle flees Paris in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Captain Beck in the novel. Why does Beck come to Le Jardin? What is his relationship like with Vianne? How does Isabelle feel about Beck? What happens to Beck in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of gender and womanhood in The Nightingale. In what ways are the roles of women challenged in the course of the story? How does Isabelle perceive the role of women? How does Vianne?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Madame Babineau in The Nightingale. How does Madame Babineau help Isabelle in her missions for the resistance? What happens to Madame Babineau in the novel?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)