|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan is developed for getting the pilot to safety in Chapter 18?
2. What does Isabelle receive at the ration line in the end of Chapter 10?
3. What does the term "gendarme" refer to?
4. What month is it in the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. Whom does Beck compare Isabelle to in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the demoralization of war illustrated in Chapters 5 and 6?
2. Why is Isabelle unable to return to Paris after Beck's arrival? How are the changes in Carriveau described in this section of the novel?
3. How would you describe the narrative style of Chapter 1? From whose perspective is this chapter related?
4. How is the title of The Nightingale addressed by Gaetan in Chapter 6?
5. Who is Madame Babineau? What does her character represent in the novel?
6. How does Isabelle relate to the pilots in Chapter 19?
7. What is foreshadowed by Vianne's conversation with Mother Superior in Chapter 12?
8. What does the church represent symbolically in Chapter 6?
9. How is the scene described as Isabelle flees Paris in Chapter 5?
10. Why is Isabelle successful in her mission in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of loss in The Nightingale. What losses do the main characters endure in the course of the narrative? How do they come to acceptance with these losses? How is this theme developed through symbolism and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
What actions does Vianne take to help Jews in France during the war? What causes her to commit these actions? How do Vianne's actions endanger herself and her family? Do you think that Vianne's actions are brave? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of The Nightingale. Where in the narrative do each of the following occur: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement? Who are the protagonists of the story? Who are the antagonists? Do you consider the ending to be a "happy ending"? Why or why not?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)