|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Beck and the German soldiers do when they come to Vianne's home in Chapter 13?
2. What is reported on the radio as Isabelle and Vianne listen in Chapter 7?
3. Who tends to Vianne after she has collapsed in Chapter 20?
4. Where is Isabelle asked to deliver a message to by the resistance in Chapter 13?
5. What happens before Isabelle loses contact with the family she is being sent from Paris with in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author illustrate the contrasts between Vianne and Isabelle in Chapter 11?
2. How does the author illustrate the violence of war in Chapter 6?
3. What is foreshadowed by Vianne's conversation with Mother Superior in Chapter 12?
4. How would you compare the characters of Vianne and Isabelle in The Nightingale?
5. What mission does Henri enlist Isabelle to in Chapter 10?
6. How does Isabelle relate to the pilots in Chapter 19?
7. What clues does the author employ to indicate the identity of the elderly woman in Chapter 14?
8. How would you describe the narrative style of Chapter 1? From whose perspective is this chapter related?
9. Why is Isabelle successful in her mission in Chapter 19?
10. Why is Isabelle unable to return to Paris after Beck's arrival? How are the changes in Carriveau described in this section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Gaetan in The Nightingale. Where does Isabelle meet Gaetan? What is Gaetan's involvement in the resistance effort? What happens to this character at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Rachel, Daniel, and Sarah in the novel. How does Rachel know Vianne? What becomes of each of these characters in the course of the story? Where is Rachel taken?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of love developed in The Nightingale? What characters in the novel fall in love? What does love mean to these characters? How does the author develop this theme through character, setting, symbolism, and imagery?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)