|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie give to Daniel in Chapter 37?
(b) An apple.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A letter.
2. How are the false papers for the Jewish orphan passed to Vianne in Chapter 30?
(a) Hidden in a book.
(b) Hidden inside of a radio.
(c) Hidden in an apple basket.
(d) Hidden in a loaf of bread.
3. Whose card does Isabelle slip up her sleeve in Chapter 21?
(a) Juliette Gervaise's card.
(b) Paul Levy's card.
(c) Edith Cavell's card.
(d) Julien Rossignol's card.
4. Who claims to have shot Beck in the chest in Chapter 25?
(b) Madame Vizniak.
5. How does Vianne respond when Von Richter asks about the boy she brings home in Chapter 29?
(a) She says he is a Jewish child who escaped.
(b) She says he is an orphan from America.
(c) She says he is an orphan whose mother died of tuberculosis.
(d) She says he is an orphan whose famliy was taken prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vianne see her father's body in Chapter 34?
2. Who goes to find a doctor to help the fallen pilot in Chapter 25?
3. Why is Von Richter becoming more angry and violent in Chapter 35?
4. Who tells Isabelle about the recruitment of women for clerical work in Chapter 21?
5. Where do Vianne and her father go to talk in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the setting of Carriveau changed in Chapter 33?
2. How is Gaetan's return described in Chapter 38?
3. How is the character of Von Richter described in the narrative?
4. Where does Vianne go in order to search for Isabelle in Chapter 37?
5. How is the theme of love developed in Chapter 25?
6. Why don't the Nazi's believe Isabelle's confession in Chapter 34?
7. Why does Vianne concede to having sex with Von Richter?
8. How is Isabelle's return home described in Chapter 38?
9. What is represented symbolically by Julien's sacrifice for his daughter in Chapter 34?
10. What causes the changes in Vianne's character in Chapter 22?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)