|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Isabelle encounter Madame Babineau in Chapter 34?
(a) In the cathedral near her father's bookstore in Paris.
(b) In a synogogue.
(c) Outside her father's apartment.
(d) On a train bound for a concentration camp.
2. From which country is the pilot that goes down over Carriveau airfield in Chapter 25?
(a) Great Britain.
(b) The United States.
3. In what season does Chapter 24 begin?
4. Who accompanies Isabelle as she is smuggled to the safe house in Chapter 27?
5. For how long must Isabelle hold out under questioning to allow her friends to protect themselves in Chapter 33?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 4 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Antoine take Vianne outside to see in Chapter 37?
2. Where is the elderly woman in Chapter 31?
3. Who is the German who will come live with Vianne after Beck's disappearance?
4. Where is Isabelle when Gaetan arrives in Chapter 38?
5. Where does Vianne go in order to try and help her sister and father in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Von Richter's suggestion regarding the orphanage help to develop the plot of the novel?
2. Why is Isabelle unable to help her neighbors in Chapter 23?
3. How is Gaetan's return described in Chapter 38?
4. How does Rachel respond to the death of Sarah in the narrative?
5. How is the theme of loss developed in Chapters 22 and 23?
6. Why don't the Nazi's believe Isabelle's confession in Chapter 34?
7. Why does Rachel give her son to Vianne to care for him in Chapter 23?
8. How is the theme of war developed further in Chapter 33?
9. How are the characters of Vianne and Isabelle compared in Chapter 29?
10. How is the theme of loss developed in Chapter 38?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)