|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Vianne fired from her job in Chapter 17?
(a) For distributing resistance flyers.
(b) For questioning the authorities.
(c) For slapping a Nazi official.
(d) For her involvement with Isabelle.
2. What information does Vianne relate to Isabelle regarding Marc in Chapter 11?
(a) Marc has killed himself.
(b) Marc has been killed.
(c) Marc has fled to America.
(d) Marc has been taken prisoner.
3. What plan is developed for getting the pilot to safety in Chapter 18?
(a) They will cross the mountains into Spain.
(b) They will fly him out to England.
(c) They will cross the border into Austria.
(d) They will cross the mountains into Germany.
4. What is reported on the radio as Isabelle and Vianne listen in Chapter 7?
(a) America has joined the war.
(b) Japan has joined the war.
(c) Germany has surrendered.
(d) France has surrendered.
5. Whom does Isabelle's father tell her to look for to help her on her journey with the pilot in Chapter 18?
(a) Micheline Babineau.
(b) Juliette Gervaise.
(c) Julien Rossignol.
(d) Edith Cavell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the unnamed elderly woman living in Chapter 1?
2. What is the name of the town where Vianne lives with her husband and daughter in Chapter 2?
3. What French general, resistant, and statesman is described in Chapter 8?
4. In what year does Chapter 15 begin?
5. Why is Isabelle unable to reach her destination in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of family developed in Chapter 15?
2. How is the demoralization of war illustrated in Chapters 5 and 6?
3. How is the title of The Nightingale addressed by Gaetan in Chapter 6?
4. What themes are introduced in Chapter 1?
5. How does Isabelle relate to the pilots in Chapter 19?
6. How is the scene described as Isabelle flees Paris in Chapter 5?
7. How would you compare the characters of Vianne and Isabelle in The Nightingale?
8. How are Vianne's views on war described in Chapter 2?
9. What is symbolized by Isabelle's action with the chalk in Chapter 9?
10. What clues does the author employ to indicate the identity of the elderly woman in Chapter 14?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)