|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Beck and the German soldiers do when they come to Vianne's home in Chapter 13?
(a) They abduct Sophie.
(b) They tear down a wall.
(c) They abduct Ari.
(d) They shoot Rachel.
2. What is the name of Vianne's daughter in the novel?
3. What happens before Isabelle loses contact with the family she is being sent from Paris with in Chapter 5?
(a) The Germans shoot them.
(b) The car runs out of gas.
(c) The horse carriage runs away.
(d) The car is bombed.
4. Why does Isabelle tell Beck she needs a travel pass in Chapter 13?
(a) Because she is ill.
(b) Because she is getting married.
(c) Because she needs to pass a message for the resistance.
(d) Because her father is sick.
5. In what year does The Nightingale open in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Isabelle's code name as she sets out on her mission with the airman in Chapter 19?
2. Where does Isabelle tell Vianne she plans to go after dinner in Chapter 9?
3. How old was Vianne when her mother died?
4. What does Isabelle demark with chalk in Chapter 9?
5. What is the invitation for that the elderly woman receives in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isabelle's involvement in the resistance develop in Chapter 17?
2. What leads to Vianne's questioning the Germans in Chapter 17? What are the repercussions of this action?
3. Why is Isabelle unable to return to Paris after Beck's arrival? How are the changes in Carriveau described in this section of the novel?
4. Why does Vianne not write to Antoine in Chapter 20?
5. Why is Isabelle successful in her mission in Chapter 19?
6. How is the theme of family developed in Chapter 15?
7. How does the author develop Isabelle's plotline in Chapter 15?
8. How would you compare the characters of Vianne and Isabelle in The Nightingale?
9. How is the title of The Nightingale addressed by Gaetan in Chapter 6?
10. How does Vianne describe her relatiosnhip with Antoine in Chapter 2?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)