|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are hanging from the streetlights in the town square when Vianne walks there in Chapter 33?
(a) Red flags.
(b) Black flags.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) White flags.
2. How is Isabelle's clothing described when she begins her clerical job for the Germans?
(a) Red and frilly.
(b) Yellow and frilly.
(c) Pink and flowy.
(d) Plain and brown.
3. Where does the new German stay in Vianne's home in Chapter 27?
(a) The upstairs room.
(b) The basement.
(c) The attic.
(d) The small downstairs bedroom.
4. Where has Vianne begun her search for Isabelle in Chapter 37?
(a) Her father's bookstore in Paris.
(b) Her father's apartment in Paris.
(d) The concentration camps.
5. How does Isabelle escape Le Jardin in Chapter 25?
(a) She is smuggled out in a coffin.
(b) She is smuggled out in an apple cart.
(c) She is smuggled out in a car.
(d) She is disguised as a Jew.
6. Whom does Vianne go to in order to ask about Isabelle and tell about the orphans in Chapter 37?
(a) The American consulate.
(b) A Red Cross worker.
(c) The French consulate.
(d) A French official.
7. When she is asked about Daniel in the rations line in Chapter 29, from whom does Isabelle say she adopted him?
(a) Antoine's cousin.
(b) Didier's cousin.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Julien's brother.
8. Whose name do Isabelle's captors demand of her under questioning?
(a) The Gaetan's name.
(b) The name of the messenger to Charles de Gaulle.
(c) The Nightingale's name.
(d) The Shadow's name.
9. What year is it when Chapter 39 begins?
10. Where do Isabelle and Gaetan arrive in the beginning of Chapter 30?
11. Why are the streets barricaded when Vianne is going home from the rations line in Chapter 29?
(a) Because the Nazis have won the war.
(b) Because the Nazis are searching for resistance fighters.
(c) Because the Nazis are clearing out.
(d) Because the Nazis are rounding up Jews.
12. How does Sarah die in Chapter 22?
(a) She is crushed by a car.
(b) She is shot.
(c) She is crushed by the crowd.
(d) She is hung.
13. Who has gotten Isabelle a clerical position working for the Germans in Chapter 21?
(d) Von Richter.
14. What happens to Daniel in Chapter 37?
(a) He is taken to the concentration camps.
(b) He is taken to his family in America.
(c) He dies from tuberculosis.
(d) He is killed by Nazi soldiers.
15. Where does the elderly woman say she is going for the weekend when she leaves her son a message in Chapter 26?
(a) To Berlin.
(b) To London.
(c) To Paris.
(d) To New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Isabelle told to separate the cards with names on them when she begins clerical work for the Germans?
2. From whom is the letter that Vianne reads to Isabelle in Chapter 38?
3. Where are Isabelle and Micheline in the beginning of Chapter 38?
4. Who agrees to take the bodies of Beck and the pilot away in Chapter 25?
5. What has happened to the apple tree at Le Jardin in Chapter 33?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)