• The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah, is primarily set in France during World War II.
• The novel tells the story of two sisters affected by the war as France becomes a country occupied by the Nazis and forced to submit to German martial law.
• Chapter 1 begins on the Oregon Coast in 1995 with an unnamed older woman reflecting on the difference between her generation and the present day younger generations.
• The woman is preparing to move from her home to an assisted living facility at the request of her son.
• In the attic, the woman locates a steamer trunk filled with mementos; among the items is a poetry book by Julien Rossignol and a passport-sized photo of a young woman named Juliette Gervaise.
• The woman's son finds her in the attic and she tells him she wants to take the trunk.
• The woman’s son asks her who...
This section contains 4,293 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)