|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are in the vehicle passed by Nick and his friends?
2. Why does the Indian woman need help?
3. What emotion does Nick recall having?
4. What does the author also tell the reader about the book?
5. How long does Nick nurse his broken heart about Prudence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway continue to show Nick's passivity?
2. What has happened to the Indian woman's husband?
3. How does Hemingway show his love of nature through Nick's actions in this story?
4. How does Nick show sensitivity when interacting with the large prostitute, Alice?
5. How does Nick's fear of death exhibit again in this story?
6. How does Hemingway portray the black man, Bugs, in a more positive light than he did with the Indians in other stories?
7. Who does Nick meet at the train station with his friend, Tom?
8. What news does Nick's father give him when he returns home and how does Nick react?
9. What is ostensibly missing from this story?
10. What is the premise of this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Nick. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Nick?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the use of irony in the life and death situation in the logging camp where the Indian woman gives birth at the same time that her husband commits suicide. How does this experience affect Nick's outlook on life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)