|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of the baby's father?
2. What religion does Nick's mother practice?
3. Who is Nick reminded of when crossing the Mississippi?
4. What emotion does Nick recall having?
5. What does Nick do when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Nick's relationship with his sister, Littless?
2. What is Nick doing as the story begins and who does he meet?
3. What does Nick's insanity prove that Hemingway is not afraid to do?
4. What two themes are evident in this story?
5. How does Nick's father help Nick deal with the graphic events of surgery and suicide?
6. What is the purpose of a Preface?
7. How does Nick show sensitivity when interacting with the large prostitute, Alice?
8. In what way could this story be autobiographical for Hemingway?
9. What is ostensibly missing from this story?
10. How does Nick show uncharacteristic anger in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)