|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was this story published?
2. Who are the crooks in the story?
3. Which of the following does Ole Anderson NOT do when Nick tells him of the men who want to kill him?
4. What emotion does Nick recall having?
5. What occupation did some of the Indians have in Petoskey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Nick and his friend, John, learn about a peasant man they meet at an inn during a ski trip?
2. Why does Nick accompany his father to an Indian camp?
3. What information does the editor share about unpublished material found in the book?
4. What is the role of nature in this story?
5. What is Nick's overall demeanor in this story?
6. Where is Nick in this story and what is his interaction with a disgruntled fellow soldier?
7. What does Nick's insanity prove that Hemingway is not afraid to do?
8. How has Nick transitioned in this section?
9. What negative stereotype about Native Americans in this story?
10. What stereotypes does Hemingway point out related to the peasants and the way the innkeeper refers to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Nick. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Nick?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Nick's father. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Nick?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway gives Nick the ability to see beyond immediate pain and discomfort by putting him in situations that give him hope. Cite some examples where Nick's mood and spirits lift when his hopeful nature takes over.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)