|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nick learn wins the final game of the World Series?
2. Who tends the counter at the restaurant?
3. Who is the soldier who has been drunk for about two solid weeks?
4. How many people are in the vehicle passed by Nick and his friends?
5. By what method is Nick traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick's father help Nick deal with the graphic events of surgery and suicide?
2. What is the theme of this story and how does Hemingway extend it?
3. What is the activity in this very short story?
4. Who writes the Preface for this book?
5. What is ostensibly missing from this story?
6. Why does Hemingway mention Mark Twain and his characters in the story?
7. What happened to the Indians, some of whom at one time were considered successful in the area?
8. Why does Nick accompany his father to an Indian camp?
9. How is Nick's demeanor in this story uncharacteristic of his usual calm manner?
10. How does Hemingway show his love of nature through Nick's actions in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Nick's father. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Nick?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Hemingway choose to use these places in the stories?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)