|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ad has some physical oddities such as a missing ear and __________________.
(a) a missing thumb.
(b) a cleft palate.
(c) six toes.
(d) a slow heart rate.
2. Where does Nick go in this story?
(b) A bar.
(d) A ski trip.
3. What religion does Nick's mother practice?
(d) Christian Scientist.
4. Who does Nick learn wins the final game of the World Series?
(b) White Sox.
5. To what does Nick look forward to on his trip?
(a) Sleeping on a train.
(b) Making friends.
(c) Crossing the Mississippi.
(d) Eating dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Nick and Leon tease about a girl?
2. What is Nick's father's name?
3. What is the setting for this story?
4. When was this story published?
5. What does the editor say about the stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway show his love of nature through Nick's actions in this story?
2. Despite his being older, what fear still haunts Nick?
3. How does Hemingway indicate Nick's immaturity again in this story?
4. What are some of the things that Nick recalls about his father in this story?
5. How do Nick's uncle and father react when Nick summons them to return to camp?
6. What is ostensibly missing from this story?
7. How is Nick physically impaired in this story?
8. What are Nick's thoughts on writing about anything real?
9. Why does Nick accompany his father to an Indian camp?
10. Where is Nick in this story and how does he relate to those around him?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)