|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the boxer that Nick visits to warn him about the men who want to kill him?
(a) Ole Joe.
(b) Ole Anderson.
(c) Old Joe.
(d) Ole Hanson.
2. What emotion does Nick recall having?
3. What happened when the farms were handed down to the Indians' children?
(a) They prospered.
(b) They squandered them.
(c) The were not handed down.
(d) They sold them.
4. What is Nick's father's name?
5. What is Nick's overriding quality?
(a) His strength.
(b) His fear.
(c) His humor.
(d) His immaturity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Nick when he was by himself?
2. What town is the location of this story?
3. What is Nick's mother's general demeanor?
4. What does the editor say about the stories?
5. Who do Nick and his friends pass on their way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Nick transitioned in this section?
2. Why does Hemingway mention Mark Twain and his characters in the story?
3. What stereotypes does Hemingway point out related to the peasants and the way the innkeeper refers to them?
4. In what way could this story be autobiographical for Hemingway?
5. What two themes are evident in this story?
6. How does Hemingway indicate Nick's immaturity again in this story?
7. Why does Nick accompany his father to an Indian camp?
8. What is Nick's overall demeanor in this story?
9. What negative stereotype about Native Americans in this story?
10. How is Nick physically impaired in this story?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)