|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about the Indian woman?
(a) She is deaf.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has tuberculosis.
2. What lie does Nick tell his father when he returns to camp?
(a) He heard an animal.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He had a fish hook in his hand.
(d) He shot himself.
3. What does Nick's father clean while mulling over the fight with the man?
(a) His shotgun.
(b) His boots.
(c) His pipe.
4. Nick recalls being at _______________.
(a) a World Series game.
(b) the Masters Tournament.
(c) the Super Bowl.
(d) the Kentucky Derby.
5. What is Nick doing in this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Nick recall having?
2. How does Nick get his father and uncle to return to camp?
3. On what is Nick riding on his return home?
4. Who is the doctor in this story?
5. Which of the following does Nick's mother NOT do for his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way could this story be autobiographical for Hemingway?
2. How does Hemingway show his love of nature through Nick's actions in this story?
3. Despite his being older, what fear still haunts Nick?
4. How does Hemingway portray the black man, Bugs, in a more positive light than he did with the Indians in other stories?
5. What is the purpose of a Preface?
6. What is Nick's overall demeanor in this story?
7. What is the nature of Nick's relationship with his sister, Littless?
8. How is the topic of marriage presented again in this story?
9. Why does Hemingway mention Mark Twain and his characters in the story?
10. How does Hemingway continue to show Nick's passivity?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)