|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of the baby's father?
(a) He is bedridden at home.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is in the hospital.
(d) He is not injured.
2. Who was Steve Ketchel?
(a) A city councilman.
(b) A hobo.
(c) A murdered boxer.
(d) A physician.
3. What do Nick and his father discuss as they leave the Indian camp?
(d) Surgical careers.
4. How does Nick respond when he hears that Prudence has been playing with another boy?
(a) He pounds the table.
(b) He cries.
(c) He screams.
(d) He pouts.
5. Who tends the counter at the restaurant?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author also tell the reader about the book?
2. What do Nick and Leon take with them into the lifeboats?
3. To what state is Nick headed in this story?
4. Which of the following does Nick's mother NOT do for his father?
5. Ad has some physical oddities such as a missing ear and __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nick physically impaired in this story?
2. Why does Nick accompany his father to an Indian camp?
3. On which artist's work does Nick model his writing?
4. What are some of the things that Nick recalls about his father in this story?
5. What negative stereotype about Native Americans in this story?
6. How is the topic of marriage presented again in this story?
7. What is the role of nature in this story?
8. What is the premise of the story?
9. What is the nature of Nick's relationship with his sister, Littless?
10. What stereotypes does Hemingway point out related to the peasants and the way the innkeeper refers to them?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)