|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Preface written?
(a) To explain the reason for the collection.
(b) To provide some insight into the author's motivation.
(c) To warn the reader about foul language.
(d) To encourage the reader to look for symbolism.
2. How does Nick get his father and uncle to return to camp?
(a) He uses a duck call.
(b) He shoots his rifle into the air.
(c) He texts them.
(d) He calls on his cell.
3. What does the editor say about the stories?
(a) The author was incoherent.
(b) They have never been arranged into a coherent whole.
(c) They are largely incoherent.
(d) They are riotously funny.
4. Which of the following does Nick's mother NOT do for his father?
5. What nationality is the girl that Nick spends a lot of time with?
6. What type of business does Aunt Halley's husband run?
(c) Dry goods.
7. What does Nick's father clean while mulling over the fight with the man?
(b) His pipe.
(c) His boots.
(d) His shotgun.
8. Where did Ad meet Bugs?
9. Where does Nick's father go instead of going back to fight with the man?
(a) On a walk with Nick.
(b) To a poker game.
(c) To a bar.
(d) To the hardware store.
10. How many people are in the vehicle passed by Nick and his friends?
11. What do Nick and his father discuss as they leave the Indian camp?
(a) Surgical careers.
12. Where does Nick fear the wardens will send him back to?
(b) Boarding school.
(d) Church camp.
13. Who is Nick's father going to help?
(a) An Indian woman.
(b) A bus filled with children.
(c) His business partner.
(d) A trapped miner.
14. What is Nick's father's name?
15. When was this story published?
(d) It was never published.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Steve Ketchel?
2. What is Nick's father's demeanor when he is recalled to camp?
3. Where is Nick headed in this story?
4. Who is the soldier who has been drunk for about two solid weeks?
5. Who is the subject of the stories?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)