|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when the farms were handed down to the Indians' children?
(a) They squandered them.
(b) They prospered.
(c) They sold them.
(d) The were not handed down.
2. What emotion does Nick recall having?
3. What is Nick doing in this story?
4. How long does Nick nurse his broken heart about Prudence?
(a) Almost instantly.
(b) For a year.
(c) For a month.
(d) For a couple days.
5. Who was Steve Ketchel?
(a) A hobo.
(b) A physician.
(c) A murdered boxer.
(d) A city councilman.
6. Ad has some physical oddities such as a missing ear and __________________.
(a) six toes.
(b) a missing thumb.
(c) a cleft palate.
(d) a slow heart rate.
7. Why is the Preface written?
(a) To encourage the reader to look for symbolism.
(b) To explain the reason for the collection.
(c) To provide some insight into the author's motivation.
(d) To warn the reader about foul language.
8. What upsetting information does Nick's father tell Nick?
(a) Prudence was playing with another boy.
(b) Nick's grandmother died.
(c) His dog was hit by a car.
(d) The family is moving away.
9. Who do Nick and his friends pass on their way home?
(a) A bus of senior citizens.
(b) A car of teenagers.
(d) An Amish family.
10. To what does Nick look forward to on his trip?
(a) Making friends.
(b) Sleeping on a train.
(c) Crossing the Mississippi.
(d) Eating dinner.
11. Nick recalls being at _______________.
(a) the Masters Tournament.
(b) a World Series game.
(c) the Super Bowl.
(d) the Kentucky Derby.
12. How does Nick react to the surgery?
(a) He sterilizes the instruments.
(b) He watches intently.
(c) He is frightened.
(d) He boils water.
13. Who is the doctor in this story?
(a) Nick's brother.
(b) Nick's father.
(c) Nick's uncle.
14. Who are the crooks in the story?
(a) Al and Max.
(b) Sam and Max.
(c) Al and Sam.
(d) Max and Hal.
15. Where does Nick go in this story?
(b) A ski trip.
(c) A bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Nick and Tom go after leaving the bar?
2. Who is Nick's father going to help?
3. What do Nick and his father discuss as they leave the Indian camp?
4. Who is the large prostitute that Nick and Tom run into at the bus station?
5. By what method is Nick traveling?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)