|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Nick fear the wardens will send him back to?
(a) Boarding school.
(c) Church camp.
2. Who tends the counter at the restaurant?
3. Who is the doctor in this story?
(b) Nick's brother.
(c) Nick's father.
(d) Nick's uncle.
4. What is the source of Nick's father's anger?
(a) His brother betrayed him.
(b) A young patient dies.
(c) A fight with a man.
(d) The car won't start.
5. Where does Nick go in this story?
(a) A bar.
(d) A ski trip.
6. Where do Nick and Tom go after leaving the bar?
(a) Another bar.
(b) Frat party.
(c) Bus station.
(d) Train station.
7. When was this story published?
(d) It was never published.
8. How many people are in the vehicle passed by Nick and his friends?
9. What is unique about the Indian woman?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has tuberculosis.
(c) She is deaf.
(d) She is blind.
10. What does Nick's father fiddle with as he mulls over his fight with the man?
(a) His fishing pole.
(b) His boots.
(c) His shotgun.
(d) His TV remote.
11. What emotion does Nick recall having?
12. Who is Ad Francis?
(a) A minister.
(b) A boxer.
(c) A wrestler.
(d) A porter.
13. Who has left the town in this story?
14. Where were Prudence and the boy seen playing?
(a) The school yard.
(b) The woods.
(c) The playground.
(d) The city park.
15. Who is the subject of the stories?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Charles Lindbergh.
(c) Truman Capote.
(d) Nick Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Nick's mother NOT do for his father?
2. The collection consists of _________________.
3. Why is the Preface written?
4. Where does Nick go in this story?
5. Who is with Nick in this story?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)