|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary tell Willy something is happening?
2. What does Mary put the raspberries in?
3. Who does Ducane tell Paula to ring?
4. What does Ducane make a rope out of?
5. What does Ducane say he wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McGrath say the room smells so bad?
2. What does Jessica find out about Ducane at the end of chapter 27?
3. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
4. How does Ducane react to Judy's advances?
5. How do Pierce and Ducane get themselves above the tideline?
6. Why does Ducane think the sender sent Kate Jessica's letter?
7. How does Richard start his off his meeting with Paula?
8. Why does Judy say she married McGrath?
9. Why does Mary think she is in a terrible position?
10. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Bond?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine what expresses about 1960s society:
1) The estate.
2) Ducane's womanizing .
3) The occult.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)