|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police shine their bright light on?
2. What does Ducane tell Mary is wrong with him?
3. Whose presence calms Ducane?
4. What is Willy's surname?
5. What does Mary ask Ducane about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mar react when she sees Mingo, Pierce and Ducane swimming out of the cave?
2. What did Radeecy write in his suicide note?
3. What does Jessica think about when she looks into the long mirror?
4. How does Kate react to Jessica's letter?
5. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
6. Why does Judy say she married McGrath?
7. What does Eric write in his letter to Pala?
8. Why do Octavian and Kate decide to forgive Ducane?
9. How has Ducane's attitude towards Biranne changed?
10. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 2
1. Your parent or guardian has been given an opportunity to transfer to a job in Alaska. The transfer would neither help nor hurt his career, and all moving costs would be paid by the company.
2. Think about how your family's lives would change if you were to move to Alaska.
3. Now write to persuade your parent or guardian to take or to turn down the transfer to Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Ducane during the story:
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)