|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paula at the beginning of chapter 38?
2. What does Octavian not tell his wife about?
3. Where does Willy hide when he sees Jessica approach the house?
4. What person other than Ducane does Jessica think about in chapter 27?
5. Who does Ducane meet with in chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eric write in his letter to Pala?
2. How do Pierce and Ducane get themselves above the tideline?
3. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
4. Why does Binally say he tampered with Radeechy's body?
5. What does Willy tell Mary in this chapter?
6. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
7. How have Kate's feelings for Ducane changed?
8. How does Mary react to Willy breaking their engagement?
9. How does Kate react to Jessica's letter?
10. How does Mar react when she sees Mingo, Pierce and Ducane swimming out of the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do each countries opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What problems do Pierce's generation face? How are the problems for Pierce's generation different to the problems Ducane's generation faced? Identify and discuss a problem facing your own generation.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)