|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bread does McGrath offer Ducane?
2. What does Ducane feel on the rocks?
3. Who gets married at the end of the book?
4. What does Julie say Ducane is?
5. What does Pierce see when he turns on his torch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
2. What does Eric write in his letter to Pala?
3. Why does Judy say she married McGrath?
4. What did Radeecy write in his suicide note?
5. What does Jessica find out about Ducane at the end of chapter 27?
6. What does Willy tell Mary in this chapter?
7. What does Richard promise Paula?
8. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
9. How does Pierce react when he sees Mingo?
10. How has Ducane's attitude towards Biranne changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1. Your parent or guardian has been given an opportunity to transfer to a job in Alaska. The transfer would neither help nor hurt his career, and all moving costs would be paid by the company.
2. Think about how your family's lives would change if you were to move to Alaska.
3. Now write to persuade your parent or guardian to take or to turn down the transfer to Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)