|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary wonder what it is like to be?
2. Who arrives at Ducane's house at the beginning of chapter 28?
3. What does Octavian not tell his wife about?
4. What do both Ducane and Pirece put on to ward off the cold?
5. What does Ducane tell Paula to try and find?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ducane's attitude towards Biranne changed?
2. How did Richard amputate Eric's leg?
3. Why does Binally say he tampered with Radeechy's body?
4. Why does Judy say she married McGrath?
5. How does Ducane react to Judy's advances?
6. What does Mary think about on the boat?
7. What does Jessica find out about Ducane at the end of chapter 27?
8. How does Richard start his off his meeting with Paula?
9. How does Kate react to Jessica's letter?
10. What does Eric write in his letter to Pala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
1. Your parent or guardian has been given an opportunity to transfer to a job in Alaska. The transfer would neither help nor hurt his career, and all moving costs would be paid by the company.
2. Think about how your family's lives would change if you were to move to Alaska.
3. Now write to persuade your parent or guardian to take or to turn down the transfer to Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)