|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ducane toss at Mary?
2. What does Biranne say he pushed out of the way as he was touching Radeechy?
3. Who does Ducane tell Paula to ring?
4. Who is Paula going to meet in London?
5. Whose face does Ducane imagine when he looks for Pierce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard promise Paula?
2. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
3. Describe the layout of the cave.
4. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
5. What does Jessica think about when she looks into the long mirror?
6. What did Radeecy write in his suicide note?
7. How have Kate's feelings for Ducane changed?
8. What does Eric write in his letter to Pala?
9. How has Ducane's attitude towards Biranne changed?
10. How does Pierce react when he sees Mingo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 3
What problems do Pierce's generation face? How are the problems for Pierce's generation different to the problems Ducane's generation faced? Identify and discuss a problem facing your own generation.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)