|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the longer letter addressed to?
2. Who does Ducane meet with in chapter 37?
3. What does Ducane think McGrath could do to him?
4. How did Radeechy kill his wife?
5. Where country has Eric now decided to move to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the three women write in their letters to Ducane?
2. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
3. Why does Ducane think the sender sent Kate Jessica's letter?
4. Why do Octavian and Kate decide to forgive Ducane?
5. How has Ducane's attitude towards Biranne changed?
6. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
7. How does Kate react to Jessica's letter?
8. How do Pierce and Ducane get themselves above the tideline?
9. What does Richard promise Paula?
10. How did Richard amputate Eric's leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote The Nice and the Good in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. How does the author use all these elements to create a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)