|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paula at the beginning of chapter 38?
2. What does Ducane tell Paula to try and find?
3. Who does Julie hear arriving downstairs?
4. Who is the first to appear from the cave?
5. Who tells Pierce he is boring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mar react when she sees Mingo, Pierce and Ducane swimming out of the cave?
2. Describe the vault.
3. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
4. What does Richard promise Paula?
5. What does Mary think about on the boat?
6. Why does Binally say he tampered with Radeechy's body?
7. Why does Ducane resign from his job?
8. What does Eric write in his letter to Pala?
9. Why does McGrath say the room smells so bad?
10. How does Ducane feel about Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Ducane during the story:
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)