|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julie hear arriving downstairs?
2. What does Mary ask Ducane about?
3. Who did the doctor say saved Pierce and Ducan's lives?
4. What is Willy's surname?
5. Where country has Eric now decided to move to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Binally say he tampered with Radeechy's body?
2. How did Richard amputate Eric's leg?
3. What does Willy tell Mary in this chapter?
4. What does Jessica think about when she looks into the long mirror?
5. How does Ducane feel about Mary?
6. Describe the layout of the cave.
7. Why do Octavian and Kate decide to forgive Ducane?
8. How does Pierce react when he sees Mingo?
9. How does Mar react when she sees Mingo, Pierce and Ducane swimming out of the cave?
10. What does Richard promise Paula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. Explain how the author's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)