|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose presence calms Ducane?
2. Where does Ducane go while Judy gets dressed?
3. Who is sitting with Mary on the boat?
4. Where does Pierce swim to?
5. What kind of animal is Mingo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the three women write in their letters to Ducane?
2. How does Mary react to Willy breaking their engagement?
3. Why does Ducane think the sender sent Kate Jessica's letter?
4. Why does McGrath say the room smells so bad?
5. How have Kate's feelings for Ducane changed?
6. How does Ducane feel about Mary?
7. How does Ducane react to Judy's advances?
8. Why do Octavian and Kate decide to forgive Ducane?
9. Describe the layout of the cave.
10. What does Richard promise Paula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)