|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose face does Ducane imagine when he looks for Pierce?
2. Where does Mary tell Willy something is happening?
3. What do the twins decide to do at the end of the book?
4. What person other than Ducane does Jessica think about in chapter 27?
5. Where did Kate and Octavian spend most of their time in Tangier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jessica think about when she looks into the long mirror?
2. What does Willy tell Mary in this chapter?
3. Why do Octavian and Kate decide to forgive Ducane?
4. How has Ducane's attitude towards Biranne changed?
5. How does Mar react when she sees Mingo, Pierce and Ducane swimming out of the cave?
6. What did Radeecy write in his suicide note?
7. Why does Judy say she married McGrath?
8. How do Pierce and Ducane get themselves above the tideline?
9. What does Mary think about on the boat?
10. Describe the vault.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the play's London setting with one of the following cities:
1. New York.
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? How does Murdoch use her premise to develop meaning in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)