|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ducane go while Judy gets dressed?
2. Why does Ducane think he should not pity Judy?
3. Who is Ducane having a drink with at the beginning of chapter 39?
4. What kind of bread does McGrath offer Ducane?
5. What does Ducane say he wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mar react when she sees Mingo, Pierce and Ducane swimming out of the cave?
2. What does Mary think about on the boat?
3. What does Jessica think about when she looks into the long mirror?
4. How does Pierce react when he sees Mingo?
5. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
6. How does Ducane feel about Mary?
7. How does Mary react to Willy breaking their engagement?
8. How do Pierce and Ducane get themselves above the tideline?
9. How have Kate's feelings for Ducane changed?
10. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote The Nice and the Good in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)