|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ducane find naked in his bed?
2. Who is sitting with Mary on the boat?
3. Why do Barabara and Pierce think it is not a sin that they have just had sex?
4. Who did the doctor say saved Pierce and Ducan's lives?
5. What color is the candle stick McGrath uses for the candle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Willy tell Mary in this chapter?
2. Why do Octavian and Kate decide to forgive Ducane?
3. Why does Binally say he tampered with Radeechy's body?
4. How does Ducane react to Judy's advances?
5. What does Mary think about on the boat?
6. Describe the layout of the cave.
7. How do Pierce and Ducane get themselves above the tideline?
8. How does Kate react to Jessica's letter?
9. Why does Mary think she is in a terrible position?
10. How does Ducane orgaize everyone when he hears Pierce has swum to the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)