|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ducane almost collide with as he exits the house?
2. What is the missing cat's name?
3. What is the name of the women the men think the newspapers are going to write about?
4. What does Mary think she needs to do to get Willy to open up to her?
5. What does Mary tell Willy she wished he did more?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Judy say her and Radeechy did in the vaults?
2. How are the main characters connected?
3. What do Kate and Ducane talk about as they walk towards Willy's cottage?
4. What does Eric write in his letter to Paula?
5. Describe the meeting between Kate and Fiver.
6. What terrible thing does Willy say happened to him as a child?
7. What do Kate and Octavia talk about later that night?
8. How does Willy react when Mary asks him to marry her?
9. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
10. Why does John Ducane want to break up with Jessica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote The Nice and the Good in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)