|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men think the newspapers are going to write a story about?
2. Where does Mary follow Willy to at the beginning of chapter 19?
3. Who does Kate suggest everyone is afraid of?
4. What does Theo suffer from?
5. Where does Pierce want to swim to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the main characters connected?
2. What do Kate and Ducane talk about as they walk towards Willy's cottage?
3. Why does Willy's use of German irritate Mary?
4. Why is the Prime minister concerned about Radeechy's death?
5. What does Ducane say he noticed in the pictures he took at the scene of Radeechy's death?
6. What do Kate and Octavia talk about later that night?
7. What did McGrath use to do for Radeechy?
8. What is Mary thinking about as she walks along the beach?
9. What is Kate thinking about as she walks along the beach?
10. How does Willy react to Barbara's advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Bond?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. Radeecy's fakes his suicide.
2. The police ask all the characters to be called in for questioning.
3. Biranne is found guilty of Radeechy's murder.
4. Pierce dies in the cave.
Essay Topic 3
1. Your parent or guardian has been given an opportunity to transfer to a job in Alaska. The transfer would neither help nor hurt his career, and all moving costs would be paid by the company.
2. Think about how your family's lives would change if you were to move to Alaska.
3. Now write to persuade your parent or guardian to take or to turn down the transfer to Alaska.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)