|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Ducane come to see at the beginning of chapter 20?
2. What does Droysen think Radeech is depressed over?
3. Whose house does Jessica arrive at at the beginning of chapter 23?
4. What is Richard's Biranne's position at the company?
5. What does Kate like the idea of doing with Willy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terrible thing does Willy say happened to him as a child?
2. Why is Ducane envious of Willy?
3. How are the main characters connected?
4. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
5. Why does Kate think it is wonderful to fall in love with an old friend?
6. Why does Willy's use of German irritate Mary?
7. Describe the meeting between Kate and Fiver.
8. Why does Pierce say he has been hiding the cat?
9. What evidence does Ducane have against Biranne?
10. How does Jessica enter Ducane's bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. Radeecy's fakes his suicide.
2. The police ask all the characters to be called in for questioning.
3. Biranne is found guilty of Radeechy's murder.
4. Pierce dies in the cave.
Essay Topic 2
1. Your parent or guardian has been given an opportunity to transfer to a job in Alaska. The transfer would neither help nor hurt his career, and all moving costs would be paid by the company.
2. Think about how your family's lives would change if you were to move to Alaska.
3. Now write to persuade your parent or guardian to take or to turn down the transfer to Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do each countries opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)