|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ducane think is the key to Radeech's death?
2. What have the twins brought to the house?
3. What does Mary think she needs to do to get Willy to open up to her?
4. Who did Ducane spend the previous evening with?
5. What has Ducane received permission to search?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kate think it is wonderful to fall in love with an old friend?
2. How does Willy react to Barbara's advances?
3. How does Willy react when Mary asks him to marry her?
4. Why is Ducane envious of Willy?
5. Why did Judy and the others start going to the vault?
6. What does Judy say her and Radeechy did in the vaults?
7. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
8. Why is Mary okay with Ducane hitting Pierce?
9. What terrible thing does Willy say happened to him as a child?
10. Why does Willy's use of German irritate Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? How does Murdoch use her premise to develop meaning in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have tot change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)