|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard's Biranne's position at the company?
2. What does Jessica tell the man she wants to measure?
3. Whose house does Jessica arrive at at the beginning of chapter 23?
4. What is the name of the women the men think the newspapers are going to write about?
5. Where does Jessica tell the man she has come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ducane envious of Willy?
2. Why does Pierce say he has been hiding the cat?
3. Describe the meeting between Kate and Fiver.
4. What does Eric write in his letter to Paula?
5. What does Willy think about Mary?
6. What is Kate thinking about as she walks along the beach?
7. What do Kate and Octavia talk about later that night?
8. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
9. What is Mary thinking about as she walks along the beach?
10. How does Jessica enter Ducane's bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? How does Murdoch use her premise to develop meaning in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have tot change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)