|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessica sniff when she is in Ducane's bedroom?
2. What are the twins examining on the beach?
3. Where does Willy say he is going for a few days?
4. Who does Willy say has proposed to him?
5. What part of Barbara's body does Pierce touch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard amputate Eric's leg?
2. What did McGrath use to do for Radeechy?
3. Why does Pierce say he has been hiding the cat?
4. What do Kate and Ducane talk about as they walk towards Willy's cottage?
5. How does Richard start his off his meeting with Paula?
6. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
7. What does Octavian think is strange about Radeechy's death?
8. What do Kate and Octavia talk about later that night?
9. What evidence does Ducane have against Biranne?
10. Why does Binally say he tampered with Radeechy's body?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote The Nice and the Good in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)