|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jessica tell the man she has come from?
2. What does Jessica sniff when she is in Ducane's bedroom?
3. What does Edward ask his mother if he can have?
4. Who does Ducane think is the key to Radeech's death?
5. What does John think he needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
2. What evidence does Ducane have against Biranne?
3. What do Kate and Ducane talk about as they walk towards Willy's cottage?
4. Why does John Ducane want to break up with Jessica?
5. What is Mary thinking about as she walks along the beach?
6. How does Willy react when Mary asks him to marry her?
7. What does Octavian think is strange about Radeechy's death?
8. Why is the Prime minister concerned about Radeechy's death?
9. What terrible thing does Willy say happened to him as a child?
10. Why does Jessica say she is searching Ducane's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Your parent or guardian has been given an opportunity to transfer to a job in Alaska. The transfer would neither help nor hurt his career, and all moving costs would be paid by the company.
2. Think about how your family's lives would change if you were to move to Alaska.
3. Now write to persuade your parent or guardian to take or to turn down the transfer to Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have tot change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)