|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ducane think is the key to Radeech's death?
2. Who does McGrath say was often at Radeechy's house?
3. What kind of woman does Jessica tell Willy she is?
4. What does Edward ask his mother if he can have?
5. What is the missing cat's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willy react to Barbara's advances?
2. What does Eric write in his letter to Paula?
3. What did McGrath use to do for Radeechy?
4. What terrible thing does Willy say happened to him as a child?
5. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
6. How are the main characters connected?
7. Describe the meeting between Kate and Fiver.
8. What do Kate and Ducane talk about as they walk towards Willy's cottage?
9. What does Mary tell Ducane is making her unhappy?
10. How does Willy react when Mary asks him to marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Ducane during the story:
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)