|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Ducane want McGrath to visit him?
2. What do the men think the newspapers are going to write a story about?
3. What kind of flowers has someone brought for Willy?
4. What has Ducane received permission to search?
5. Where does Pierce want to swim to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary thinking about as she walks along the beach?
2. What is Kate thinking about as she walks along the beach?
3. What does Ducane say he noticed in the pictures he took at the scene of Radeechy's death?
4. Why is Mary okay with Ducane hitting Pierce?
5. What does Eric write in his letter to Paula?
6. Why does Willy's use of German irritate Mary?
7. What terrible thing does Willy say happened to him as a child?
8. Why is the Prime minister concerned about Radeechy's death?
9. Why is Ducane envious of Willy?
10. What does Willy think about Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. Radeecy's fakes his suicide.
2. The police ask all the characters to be called in for questioning.
3. Biranne is found guilty of Radeechy's murder.
4. Pierce dies in the cave.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)