|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the women the men think the newspapers are going to write about?
2. What part of the UK does Octavian plan to visit?
3. What is Judy holding?
4. Why is Mary upset at Willy?
5. What language are Barbara and Ducane speaking together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willy react to Barbara's advances?
2. What do Kate and Octavian talk about before they go to bed?
3. Why does Jessica say she is searching Ducane's room?
4. Why is Ducane envious of Willy?
5. Why does John Ducane want to break up with Jessica?
6. What does Ducane say he noticed in the pictures he took at the scene of Radeechy's death?
7. What does Octavian think is strange about Radeechy's death?
8. What does Judy say her and Radeechy did in the vaults?
9. Why is Mary okay with Ducane hitting Pierce?
10. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. Explain how the author's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. How does the author use all these elements to create a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)