|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willy doing when John enters his cottage?
2. What kind of flowers has someone brought for Willy?
3. At whose house does Willy arrive at the beginning of chapter 22?
4. What has Ducane received permission to search?
5. Which mode of transport is Eric using to travel back to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kate think it is wonderful to fall in love with an old friend?
2. How does Mary react to Willy breaking their engagement?
3. How does Ducane feel about Mary?
4. How does Ducane help Biranne in chapter 37?
5. What do Kate and Octavia talk about later that night?
6. What do Kate and Octavian talk about before they go to bed?
7. How does Richard start his off his meeting with Paula?
8. Why does John Ducane want to break up with Jessica?
9. Why is Ducane envious of Willy?
10. How does Mar react when she sees Mingo, Pierce and Ducane swimming out of the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Bond?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have tot change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)