|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where else did the police find Biranne's finger prints?
2. Where does Mary follow Willy to at the beginning of chapter 19?
3. What is Willy doing when John enters his cottage?
4. What does Jessica tell the man she wants to measure?
5. What does Mary use to catch the green piece of glass Willy throws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terrible thing does Willy say happened to him as a child?
2. Why does John Ducane want to break up with Jessica?
3. Why does Pierce say he has been hiding the cat?
4. What did McGrath use to do for Radeechy?
5. What does Willy think about Mary?
6. Why does Kate think it is wonderful to fall in love with an old friend?
7. How does Willy react to Barbara's advances?
8. How does Jessica enter Ducane's bedroom?
9. Why is Ducane envious of Willy?
10. How are the main characters connected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote The Nice and the Good in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine what expresses about 1960s society:
1) The estate.
2) Ducane's womanizing .
3) The occult.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)