|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ducane spend the previous evening with?
2. What country did Theo used to live in?
3. What does Octavian Gray hear from his office?
4. What does Judy McGrath call Ducane?
5. What kind of animal does the author compare Theo's face to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willy react when Mary asks him to marry her?
2. What does Eric write in his letter to Paula?
3. Why does Jessica say she is searching Ducane's room?
4. What is Mary thinking about as she walks along the beach?
5. Why does John Ducane want to break up with Jessica?
6. What does Judy say her and Radeechy did in the vaults?
7. Why is Ducane worried about his affair with Jessica?
8. How does Willy react to Barbara's advances?
9. What evidence does Ducane have against Biranne?
10. Why does Pierce say he has been hiding the cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after each turning point?
Essay Topic 2
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? How does Murdoch use her premise to develop meaning in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do each countries opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)