|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
2. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
3. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
4. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
5. Which of the following is NOT a punishment that Franco's sisters must endure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
2. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
5. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
6. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
7. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
8. How does Pancho die?
9. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
10. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 2
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)