|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the American General who is sent to guide Ella and her children to Pikysyry?
2. How does Franco reward the men who survived the attack on Riachuelto?
3. What does Franco build on the only high ground of Humaita?
4. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
5. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franco die?
2. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
3. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
4. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
5. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
6. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
7. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
8. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
9. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
10. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
Essay Topic 2
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 3
The baptism of Franco and Ella's first son is a major turning point in the novel. Explain the circumstances surrounding Pancho's baptism and explain how these events irrevocably altered the plot of the novel and the relationships in the Lopez family.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)