|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Franco reward the men who survived the attack on Riachuelto?
2. When Ella is peacefully riding through Piribebuy, what does she hear that takes her attention away from the peacefulness of the journey?
3. How does Dona Dolores' husband die?
4. Which of the following is NOT an ailment affecting the wounded in the hospitals of Humaita?
5. Why do the Paraguayan forces refuse to fight alongside the indigenous Indians of the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
2. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
3. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
4. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
5. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
6. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
7. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
8. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
9. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
10. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three wet nurses Ella hired to help raise her children each had drastically different personalities. Name and describe all three of the wet nurses Ella hired, and explain the effect each woman had on the lives of the Lopez children.
Essay Topic 2
The baptism of Franco and Ella's first son is a major turning point in the novel. Explain the circumstances surrounding Pancho's baptism and explain how these events irrevocably altered the plot of the novel and the relationships in the Lopez family.
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy among Franco and his siblings was one of the driving forces in their lives. Explain why the Lopez siblings were so jealous of each other, and what effect this jealousy had on their relationships. Be sure to cite specific examples of ways that jealously tore these siblings apart.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)