|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
2. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
3. Who does Charles Washburn think is ill-prepared to deal with arrest and torture?
4. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
5. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
2. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
3. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
4. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
5. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
6. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
7. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
8. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
9. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
10. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
Essay Topic 2
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 3
Franco has a long history of abusing his power when it comes to women. Choose one woman from Franco's past, either in his family or romantic history, and explain how his relationship with her signals to the reader how he will eventually come to treat Ella.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)