|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
2. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
3. What is the name of the American General who is sent to guide Ella and her children to Pikysyry?
4. What does Pancho begin collecting from the enemy soldiers killed in battle?
5. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
2. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
3. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
4. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
5. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
6. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
7. How does General Diaz die?
8. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
9. How does Franco die?
10. How does Pancho die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role that Rosaria plays in the upbringing of little Juan Francisco and use that experience to compare and contrast Rosaria's mothering techniques with Ella's mothering techniques to her firstborn son.
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy among Franco and his siblings was one of the driving forces in their lives. Explain why the Lopez siblings were so jealous of each other, and what effect this jealousy had on their relationships. Be sure to cite specific examples of ways that jealously tore these siblings apart.
Essay Topic 3
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)