|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
2. Who finds Maria Olivia's dead body?
3. To where does Colonel Thompson escape, meeting up with his brother?
4. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
5. Which character is described as being "appealed" with the wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
Essay Topic 2
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
Essay Topic 3
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)