|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
2. Which character arranges for Dr. Mastermind's release from prison?
3. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
4. When do the allied forces make a pact to fight until?
5. To where does Colonel Thompson escape, meeting up with his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
2. How does General Diaz die?
3. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
4. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
5. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
6. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
7. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
8. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
9. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
10. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role that Rosaria plays in the upbringing of little Juan Francisco and use that experience to compare and contrast Rosaria's mothering techniques with Ella's mothering techniques to her firstborn son.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Ella finds herself "haunted" by the ghost of the Brazilian soldier she killed. Explain the circumstances of the murder and then explain how this event irrevocably changed Ella's character.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)