|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
2. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
3. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
4. Who finds Maria Olivia's dead body?
5. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
2. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
3. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
4. How does General Diaz die?
5. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
6. How does Franco die?
7. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
8. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
9. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
10. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The baptism of Franco and Ella's first son is a major turning point in the novel. Explain the circumstances surrounding Pancho's baptism and explain how these events irrevocably altered the plot of the novel and the relationships in the Lopez family.
Essay Topic 2
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
Essay Topic 3
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)