|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
2. Why are the horses of the Paraguayan Army dying?
3. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
4. What does Pancho begin collecting from the enemy soldiers killed in battle?
5. Who tells Benigno of the plan to overthrow Franco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
2. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
3. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
4. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
5. How does Pancho die?
6. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
7. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
8. How does General Diaz die?
9. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
10. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 2
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 3
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)