|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
2. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
3. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
4. How many Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion on the day that the people begin to riot?
5. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
2. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
5. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
6. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
7. How does General Diaz die?
8. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
9. How does Franco die?
10. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Franco has a long history of abusing his power when it comes to women. Choose one woman from Franco's past, either in his family or romantic history, and explain how his relationship with her signals to the reader how he will eventually come to treat Ella.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)