|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
2. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
3. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
4. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
5. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
2. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
5. How does General Diaz die?
6. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
7. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
8. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
9. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
10. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)