|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
2. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
3. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
4. Who tells Benigno of the plan to overthrow Franco?
5. How does Franco die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
2. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
3. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
4. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
5. How does General Diaz die?
6. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
7. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
8. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
9. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
10. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)