|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
2. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
3. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
4. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
5. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franco die?
2. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
3. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
4. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
5. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
6. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
7. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
8. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
9. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
10. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
U.S. Commander-in-Chief Charles Washburn has a very special relationship with Dr. Mastermind by the end of the novel. Explain how Charles Washburn affected Dr. Mastermind's life and death, and then explain how Washburn felt after becoming so intertwined with the doctor's fate.
Essay Topic 2
Franco has a long history of abusing his power when it comes to women. Choose one woman from Franco's past, either in his family or romantic history, and explain how his relationship with her signals to the reader how he will eventually come to treat Ella.
Essay Topic 3
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)