|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
2. Which of the following is NOT a punishment that Franco's sisters must endure?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
4. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
5. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
2. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
3. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
4. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
5. How does Franco die?
6. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
7. How does General Diaz die?
8. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
9. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
10. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy among Franco and his siblings was one of the driving forces in their lives. Explain why the Lopez siblings were so jealous of each other, and what effect this jealousy had on their relationships. Be sure to cite specific examples of ways that jealously tore these siblings apart.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)