|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
2. Which of the following is NOT an ailment affecting the wounded in the hospitals of Humaita?
3. What is the city of San Fernando surrounded by?
4. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
5. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does General Diaz die?
2. How does Franco die?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
5. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
6. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
7. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
8. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
9. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
10. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Ella finds herself "haunted" by the ghost of the Brazilian soldier she killed. Explain the circumstances of the murder and then explain how this event irrevocably changed Ella's character.
Essay Topic 2
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
Essay Topic 3
The baptism of Franco and Ella's first son is a major turning point in the novel. Explain the circumstances surrounding Pancho's baptism and explain how these events irrevocably altered the plot of the novel and the relationships in the Lopez family.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)