|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pancho begin collecting from the enemy soldiers killed in battle?
2. Why do the Paraguayan forces refuse to fight alongside the indigenous Indians of the land?
3. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
4. Which of the following creatures does NOT infest Dr. Mastermind's cell?
5. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
2. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
3. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
4. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
5. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
6. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
7. How does Pancho die?
8. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
9. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
10. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
Essay Topic 2
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 3
U.S. Commander-in-Chief Charles Washburn has a very special relationship with Dr. Mastermind by the end of the novel. Explain how Charles Washburn affected Dr. Mastermind's life and death, and then explain how Washburn felt after becoming so intertwined with the doctor's fate.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)