|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
2. Which of the following is NOT a punishment that Franco's sisters must endure?
3. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
4. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
5. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
2. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
3. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
4. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
5. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
6. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
7. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
8. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
9. How does Franco die?
10. How does Pancho die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
Essay Topic 2
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)