|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
2. Which of the following creatures does NOT infest Dr. Mastermind's cell?
3. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
4. What does Franco build on the only high ground of Humaita?
5. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
2. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
3. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
4. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
5. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
6. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
7. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
8. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
9. How does Pancho die?
10. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco has a long history of abusing his power when it comes to women. Choose one woman from Franco's past, either in his family or romantic history, and explain how his relationship with her signals to the reader how he will eventually come to treat Ella.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role that Rosaria plays in the upbringing of little Juan Francisco and use that experience to compare and contrast Rosaria's mothering techniques with Ella's mothering techniques to her firstborn son.
Essay Topic 3
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)