|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
2. Which of the following is NOT an ailment affecting the wounded in the hospitals of Humaita?
3. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
4. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
5. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
2. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
3. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
4. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
5. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
6. How does General Diaz die?
7. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
8. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
9. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
10. How does Franco die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Ella finds herself "haunted" by the ghost of the Brazilian soldier she killed. Explain the circumstances of the murder and then explain how this event irrevocably changed Ella's character.
Essay Topic 2
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 3
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)