|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dona Dolores' husband die?
2. Which of the following is NOT a punishment that Franco's sisters must endure?
3. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
4. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
5. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
2. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
3. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
4. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
5. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
6. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
7. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
8. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
9. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
10. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
Essay Topic 3
Franco has a long history of abusing his power when it comes to women. Choose one woman from Franco's past, either in his family or romantic history, and explain how his relationship with her signals to the reader how he will eventually come to treat Ella.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)