|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
2. What does Franco demand from all the women in Paraguay to help support his war against Brazil?
3. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
4. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
5. What does Franco build on the only high ground of Humaita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco was arguably a terrible father to his children. Choose two of Franco's children and explain the negative effects that he had on their upbringing. How might the lives of the Lopez children have been altered if they were raised without Franco in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Pancho grew up to be a man exactly like his father. Choose two examples of moments in his life when Pancho behaved in a way that Franco might have, and explain where Pancho learned his unemotional behaviors.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)