|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military implement does Lieutenant Major George Thompson build at Curupayty?
2. How many Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion on the day that the people begin to riot?
3. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
4. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
5. Which of the following animals does NOT live in the swamps where Pancho has stationed his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
2. How does Pancho die?
3. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
4. What befalls the "traitors" in the Lopez family after their arrest?
5. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
6. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
7. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
8. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
9. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
10. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 3
The three wet nurses Ella hired to help raise her children each had drastically different personalities. Name and describe all three of the wet nurses Ella hired, and explain the effect each woman had on the lives of the Lopez children.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)