|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
2. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
3. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
4. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
5. What is General Diaz doing when he is hit during the torpedo strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
2. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
3. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
4. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
5. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
6. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
7. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
8. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
9. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
10. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ella and Franco had very different childhoods that inevitably led them to each other. Compare and contrast the childhoods that these characters had, and explain how their upbringings irrevocably altered their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role that Rosaria plays in the upbringing of little Juan Francisco and use that experience to compare and contrast Rosaria's mothering techniques with Ella's mothering techniques to her firstborn son.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)