|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Paraguayan men escape the battle against Brazil in Riachuelto?
2. What does Franco do when he realizes his forces have collapsed?
3. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
4. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
5. What is General Diaz doing when he is hit during the torpedo strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pancho die?
2. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
3. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
4. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
5. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
6. What befalls the "traitors" in the Lopez family after their arrest?
7. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
8. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
9. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
10. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three wet nurses Ella hired to help raise her children each had drastically different personalities. Name and describe all three of the wet nurses Ella hired, and explain the effect each woman had on the lives of the Lopez children.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy among Franco and his siblings was one of the driving forces in their lives. Explain why the Lopez siblings were so jealous of each other, and what effect this jealousy had on their relationships. Be sure to cite specific examples of ways that jealously tore these siblings apart.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)