|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Humaita Fort block entrance to their rivers?
2. Which adjective does Franco use to describe his sisters?
3. Where is San Pedro in relation to Franco's property?
4. Why does Franco's father have Carlos arrested?
5. Where does Franco begin training his troops to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
2. How does Franco spend his time wooing Ella?
3. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
4. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
5. How does Franco take to his new political power?
6. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
7. How does Pancho treat his younger brother Carlos while they are playing in the garden?
8. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
9. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
10. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
Essay Topic 3
Ella has an interesting relationship with her servant, Marie, that changes over the course of the novel. Explain the changing relationship that Ella has with Marie, and choose two defining incidents that forever changed the relationship between the two women. Explain the outcome of each incident.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)