Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
2. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
4. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
2. How does General Diaz die?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
5. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
6. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
7. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
8. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
9. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
10. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
U.S. Commander-in-Chief Charles Washburn has a very special relationship with Dr. Mastermind by the end of the novel. Explain how Charles Washburn affected Dr. Mastermind's life and death, and then explain how Washburn felt after becoming so intertwined with the doctor's fate.
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)