|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the two Paraguayan businessmen travel without state permission?
2. What does Charles Washburn think of the Lopez dynasty?
3. Who writes the letter to Franco declaring him President of Paraguay?
4. Why is Marie delirious during her last days of life?
5. After a quick questioning, what ailment does Dr. Mastermind discover that Maria Olivia is suffering from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ella Lynch and Francisco Solano Lopez meet?
2. What accident befalls Marie while riding horseback to Paraguay?
3. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
4. Who is Isabella de Braganza, and what is her relationship to Franco?
5. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
6. How does Franco take to his new political power?
7. How do Franco's sisters treat Ella upon her arrival to Paraguay?
8. Why does Franco declare war against Brazil?
9. How does Franco spend his time wooing Ella?
10. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pancho grew up to be a man exactly like his father. Choose two examples of moments in his life when Pancho behaved in a way that Franco might have, and explain where Pancho learned his unemotional behaviors.
Essay Topic 2
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)