|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What threat does Franco's uncle threaten to any bishop who dares to baptize Juan Francisco?
2. Where does Ella stay while living in Buenos Ayres?
3. Which of Franco's sons is already showing his tendency toward being unemotional?
4. How long should Dr. Kennedy's trek across the lake take?
5. How many times has Ella been married since leaving home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franco take to his new political power?
2. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
3. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
4. What happens when Franco tries to start a vineyard in the wooded land near his home?
5. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
6. How do Ella Lynch and Francisco Solano Lopez meet?
7. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
8. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
9. What is Franco's relationship with his family?
10. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
Essay Topic 2
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)