|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles Washburn think of the Lopez dynasty?
2. How do Ella and Franco plan to travel to Buenos Ayres?
3. Who returns to Marie to tend to her injuries?
4. Why does Ella stay behind in Buenos Ayres while Franco travels ahead?
5. What animal does Franco ride in the military because it sits him higher than the rest of the troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ella's life like leading up to her time in Paris?
2. What accident befalls Marie while riding horseback to Paraguay?
3. What is the Obispo Cue?
4. What happens when Franco tries to start a vineyard in the wooded land near his home?
5. Why does Franco declare war against Brazil?
6. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
7. How does Franco take to his new political power?
8. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
9. What events does Franco partake in while at the border of Argentina, in Cerro Leon?
10. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy among Franco and his siblings was one of the driving forces in their lives. Explain why the Lopez siblings were so jealous of each other, and what effect this jealousy had on their relationships. Be sure to cite specific examples of ways that jealously tore these siblings apart.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Franco was arguably a terrible father to his children. Choose two of Franco's children and explain the negative effects that he had on their upbringing. How might the lives of the Lopez children have been altered if they were raised without Franco in their lives?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)