|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
2. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
4. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
2. How does General Diaz die?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
5. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
6. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
7. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
8. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
9. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
10. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
Essay Topic 1
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
Essay Topic 2
Franco has a long history of abusing his power when it comes to women. Choose one woman from Franco's past, either in his family or romantic history, and explain how his relationship with her signals to the reader how he will eventually come to treat Ella.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)