|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rosaria?
2. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
3. What is revealed to be Franco's biggest fear?
4. What happens to the man who speaks out against Franco during his election?
5. What does Henry Kennedy do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
2. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
3. What is Ella's life like leading up to her time in Paris?
4. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
5. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
6. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
7. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
8. Why does Franco declare war against Brazil?
9. How do Franco's sisters treat Ella upon her arrival to Paraguay?
10. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
Essay Topic 2
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
Essay Topic 3
Ella has an interesting relationship with her servant, Marie, that changes over the course of the novel. Explain the changing relationship that Ella has with Marie, and choose two defining incidents that forever changed the relationship between the two women. Explain the outcome of each incident.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)