|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franco deliver to Ella's home, bribing the doorman to give to her?
2. Where does Franco fit in the birth order of his siblings?
3. Which country does Franco constantly worry will begin fighting him for more land?
4. What does Henry Kennedy do for a living?
5. What does Dona Ines' father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ella Lynch and Francisco Solano Lopez meet?
2. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
3. What events does Franco partake in while at the border of Argentina, in Cerro Leon?
4. What work does Dr. Mastermind do while the Paraguayan forces are at battle with Brazil?
5. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
6. Who is Henry Kennedy, and why is he living in Buenos Ayres?
7. Why does Ella decide to leave the steamer and continue her travels on horseback?
8. Who is Frederick Mastermind?
9. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
10. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The baptism of Franco and Ella's first son is a major turning point in the novel. Explain the circumstances surrounding Pancho's baptism and explain how these events irrevocably altered the plot of the novel and the relationships in the Lopez family.
Essay Topic 2
The three wet nurses Ella hired to help raise her children each had drastically different personalities. Name and describe all three of the wet nurses Ella hired, and explain the effect each woman had on the lives of the Lopez children.
Essay Topic 3
Ella and Franco had very different childhoods that inevitably led them to each other. Compare and contrast the childhoods that these characters had, and explain how their upbringings irrevocably altered their relationship.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)