|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women aboard the steamer treat Ella?
2. Who is Charles Washburn?
3. How many guns are ordered to shoot in the salute to Juan Franco?
4. Where do Paraguayan forces find their first set of Brazilians to imprison?
5. How many times has Ella been married since leaving home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
2. How does Franco spend his time wooing Ella?
3. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
4. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
5. How does Pancho die?
6. Why does Ella decide to leave the steamer and continue her travels on horseback?
7. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
8. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
9. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
10. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 2
U.S. Commander-in-Chief Charles Washburn has a very special relationship with Dr. Mastermind by the end of the novel. Explain how Charles Washburn affected Dr. Mastermind's life and death, and then explain how Washburn felt after becoming so intertwined with the doctor's fate.
Essay Topic 3
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
This section contains 1,605 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)