|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to discover that Ella is pregnant?
2. Which of the following is NOT a name given to Ella and Franco's sons?
3. How does Ella feel when she hears the news that Marie has died?
4. Which of the following is NOT a common practice of the Paraguayan troops?
5. What is the name of the lake that Dr. Kennedy hopes to trek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
2. What is the Obispo Cue?
3. How do Ella Lynch and Francisco Solano Lopez meet?
4. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
5. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
6. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
7. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
8. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
9. Why does Ella decide to leave the steamer and continue her travels on horseback?
10. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
Essay Topic 1
Franco was arguably a terrible father to his children. Choose two of Franco's children and explain the negative effects that he had on their upbringing. How might the lives of the Lopez children have been altered if they were raised without Franco in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Franco's proposal to Isabella de Braganza goes terribly wrong. Explain why Franco wanted to propose to this woman and what the reaction to the proposal was from the point of view of AT LEAST three different characters.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Ella finds herself "haunted" by the ghost of the Brazilian soldier she killed. Explain the circumstances of the murder and then explain how this event irrevocably changed Ella's character.
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)