|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the Obispo Cue, what other building does Franco build for Ella?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the treatments that Franco's sisters give to Ella?
3. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
4. Where does Franco fit in the birth order of his siblings?
5. How does the Humaita Fort block entrance to their rivers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dona Ines?
2. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
3. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
4. How do Franco's sisters treat Ella upon her arrival to Paraguay?
5. What happens when Franco tries to start a vineyard in the wooded land near his home?
6. How does Franco spend his time wooing Ella?
7. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
8. Why does Franco declare war against Brazil?
9. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
10. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
Essay Topic 2
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role that Rosaria plays in the upbringing of little Juan Francisco and use that experience to compare and contrast Rosaria's mothering techniques with Ella's mothering techniques to her firstborn son.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)