|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
2. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
4. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
2. How does General Diaz die?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
5. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
6. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
7. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
8. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
9. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
10. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
Essay Topic 1
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
Essay Topic 3
Ella has an interesting relationship with her servant, Marie, that changes over the course of the novel. Explain the changing relationship that Ella has with Marie, and choose two defining incidents that forever changed the relationship between the two women. Explain the outcome of each incident.
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)