|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guns are ordered to shoot in the salute to Juan Franco?
2. Why is General Vincent Barrios considered ill-prepared to lead the troops in battle?
3. Which of Franco's sons is described as being slow and not very good at hiding?
4. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
5. Why does the previous dictator of Paraguay order people to stay in their homes while he travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Franco tries to start a vineyard in the wooded land near his home?
2. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
3. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
4. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
5. What is the Obispo Cue?
6. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
7. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
8. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
9. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
10. How does Pancho die?
Essay Topic 1
Pancho grew up to be a man exactly like his father. Choose two examples of moments in his life when Pancho behaved in a way that Franco might have, and explain where Pancho learned his unemotional behaviors.
Essay Topic 2
Franco was arguably a terrible father to his children. Choose two of Franco's children and explain the negative effects that he had on their upbringing. How might the lives of the Lopez children have been altered if they were raised without Franco in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
This section contains 1,627 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)