|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of resistance do the Paraguayan ground troops meet in Brazil?
2. Who writes the letter to Franco declaring him President of Paraguay?
3. What is revealed to be Franco's biggest fear?
4. Which adjective does Franco use to describe his sisters?
5. What does Ella decide to name her newborn son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accident befalls Marie while riding horseback to Paraguay?
2. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
3. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
4. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
5. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
6. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
7. Why does Franco keep a frog in a basin in his bedroom?
8. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
9. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
10. What is the Obispo Cue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
Essay Topic 2
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 3
Franco was arguably a terrible father to his children. Choose two of Franco's children and explain the negative effects that he had on their upbringing. How might the lives of the Lopez children have been altered if they were raised without Franco in their lives?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)