Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
2. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
4. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
2. How does General Diaz die?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
5. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
6. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
7. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
8. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
9. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
10. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy among Franco and his siblings was one of the driving forces in their lives. Explain why the Lopez siblings were so jealous of each other, and what effect this jealousy had on their relationships. Be sure to cite specific examples of ways that jealously tore these siblings apart.
Essay Topic 2
The baptism of Franco and Ella's first son is a major turning point in the novel. Explain the circumstances surrounding Pancho's baptism and explain how these events irrevocably altered the plot of the novel and the relationships in the Lopez family.
Essay Topic 3
Franco was arguably a terrible father to his children. Choose two of Franco's children and explain the negative effects that he had on their upbringing. How might the lives of the Lopez children have been altered if they were raised without Franco in their lives?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)