Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
2. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
4. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
2. How does General Diaz die?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
5. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
6. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
7. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
8. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
9. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
10. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
Essay Topic 1
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Ella finds herself "haunted" by the ghost of the Brazilian soldier she killed. Explain the circumstances of the murder and then explain how this event irrevocably changed Ella's character.
Essay Topic 3
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)