|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ella feel when she hears the news that Marie has died?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the treatments that Franco's sisters give to Ella?
3. What accident happens to Marie during her travels to Paraguay?
4. How does Ella pass her time in Buenos Ayres?
5. What is the name of the previous dictator of Paraguay, before Franco's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
2. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
3. What accident befalls Marie while riding horseback to Paraguay?
4. Who is Henry Kennedy, and why is he living in Buenos Ayres?
5. What is Ella's life like leading up to her time in Paris?
6. What is Franco's relationship with his family?
7. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
8. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
9. How does Franco take to his new political power?
10. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mathilde, Ella's horse, is a powerful symbol in Ella's life. Explain the way that Ella's horse earned its name and what the relationship to the horse means to Ella.
Essay Topic 2
Ella and Franco had very different childhoods that inevitably led them to each other. Compare and contrast the childhoods that these characters had, and explain how their upbringings irrevocably altered their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)