|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Franco's father have Carlos arrested?
2. In what country is Franco's father president?
3. What has Franco nicknamed his son?
4. On what part of Franco's body must Dr. Mastermind attempt surgery?
5. How do Ella and Franco plan to travel to Buenos Ayres?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franco take to his new political power?
2. Who is Henry Kennedy, and why is he living in Buenos Ayres?
3. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
4. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
5. How do Ella Lynch and Francisco Solano Lopez meet?
6. What events does Franco partake in while at the border of Argentina, in Cerro Leon?
7. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
8. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
9. Who is Isabella de Braganza, and what is her relationship to Franco?
10. What does the U.S. government think of the Lopez dynasty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, three medical characters are introduced in the form of three different doctors. Name and describe all three doctors and then compare and contrast their medical practices. Finally, what effect do each of these doctors have on Ella's life throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The baptism of Franco and Ella's first son is a major turning point in the novel. Explain the circumstances surrounding Pancho's baptism and explain how these events irrevocably altered the plot of the novel and the relationships in the Lopez family.
Essay Topic 3
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)