|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guns are ordered to shoot in the salute to Juan Franco?
2. Why does the previous dictator of Paraguay order people to stay in their homes while he travels?
3. Where do the two Paraguayan businessmen travel without state permission?
4. How does Ella pass her time in Buenos Ayres?
5. How does Ella treat Marie after her accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Franco keep a frog in a basin in his bedroom?
2. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
3. What is Franco's relationship with his family?
4. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
5. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
6. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
7. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
8. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
9. What happens when Franco tries to start a vineyard in the wooded land near his home?
10. Who is Frederick Mastermind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pancho grew up to be a man exactly like his father. Choose two examples of moments in his life when Pancho behaved in a way that Franco might have, and explain where Pancho learned his unemotional behaviors.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Ella finds herself "haunted" by the ghost of the Brazilian soldier she killed. Explain the circumstances of the murder and then explain how this event irrevocably changed Ella's character.
Essay Topic 3
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)