|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to Marie to tend to her injuries?
2. What is the name of the lake that Dr. Kennedy hopes to trek?
3. How long will Ella and Franco's trip to Buenos Ayres take them?
4. What animal does Franco study in order to learn how to swim?
5. How do Ella and Franco plan to travel to Buenos Ayres?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events does Franco partake in while at the border of Argentina, in Cerro Leon?
2. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
3. What work does Dr. Mastermind do while the Paraguayan forces are at battle with Brazil?
4. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
5. How does Franco take to his new political power?
6. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
7. How does Franco spend his time wooing Ella?
8. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
9. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
10. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arrogance proved to be one of the most dangerous attributes for a character in this novel to have. Choose two characters who were particularly arrogant and give two examples of each of their arrogant behaviors. Finally, explain how the arrogance that infested these characters' live affected them in their deaths.
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy among Franco and his siblings was one of the driving forces in their lives. Explain why the Lopez siblings were so jealous of each other, and what effect this jealousy had on their relationships. Be sure to cite specific examples of ways that jealously tore these siblings apart.
Essay Topic 3
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)