|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Paraguayan forces find their first set of Brazilians to imprison?
2. Which of Franco's sons is already showing his tendency toward being unemotional?
3. To whom is Princess Mathilde reportedly related to?
4. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
5. How does Dr. Kennedy become unconscious on the shore of the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
2. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
3. What is Franco's relationship with his family?
4. How does Franco take to his new political power?
5. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
6. Who is Isabella de Braganza, and what is her relationship to Franco?
7. Who is Henry Kennedy, and why is he living in Buenos Ayres?
8. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
9. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
10. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
Essay Topic 2
During the war with Brazil, Franco acts very selfishly in regards to the people of his land. Choose two examples of times that Franco puts himself before the people of his land, and explain how these decisions wreaked havoc on the people and land that he was supposed to be protecting.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)