|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to discover that Ella is pregnant?
2. What is the name of the lake that Dr. Kennedy hopes to trek?
3. In what country is Franco's father president?
4. What material is being used, for the first time in Paraguay, to build the Obispo Cue?
5. Why is Marie delirious during her last days of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
2. How does Franco take to his new political power?
3. What work does Dr. Mastermind do while the Paraguayan forces are at battle with Brazil?
4. How do Franco's sisters treat Ella upon her arrival to Paraguay?
5. What accident befalls Marie while riding horseback to Paraguay?
6. Who is Dona Ines?
7. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
8. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
9. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
10. What does the U.S. government think of the Lopez dynasty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three wet nurses Ella hired to help raise her children each had drastically different personalities. Name and describe all three of the wet nurses Ella hired, and explain the effect each woman had on the lives of the Lopez children.
Essay Topic 2
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
Essay Topic 3
Pancho grew up to be a man exactly like his father. Choose two examples of moments in his life when Pancho behaved in a way that Franco might have, and explain where Pancho learned his unemotional behaviors.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)