|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object of Ella's does Franco stop and pick up when she drops it?
2. What is the name of the previous dictator of Paraguay, before Franco's father?
3. What animal does Franco study in order to learn how to swim?
4. What happens to the man who speaks out against Franco during his election?
5. After a quick questioning, what ailment does Dr. Mastermind discover that Maria Olivia is suffering from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
2. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
3. How do Franco's sisters treat Ella upon her arrival to Paraguay?
4. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
5. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
6. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
7. How do Ella Lynch and Francisco Solano Lopez meet?
8. What is Ella's life like leading up to her time in Paris?
9. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
10. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ella has an interesting relationship with her servant, Marie, that changes over the course of the novel. Explain the changing relationship that Ella has with Marie, and choose two defining incidents that forever changed the relationship between the two women. Explain the outcome of each incident.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, both Franco and Ella take lovers during their relationship with one another.
Part 1.) Create a list of characters who were taken as lovers by both Ella and Franco.
Part 2.) Compare and contrast the reasons why Franco and Ella took lovers, and what their emotional states were during the affairs.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that the affairs and lovers had on Franco and Ella's relationship with each other and the lives of their children.
Essay Topic 3
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)