|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ella stay behind in Buenos Ayres while Franco travels ahead?
2. How does Ella feel when she hears the news that Marie has died?
3. What does Ella find most attractive about Franco?
4. Why does the bishop refuse to baptize Juan Francisco?
5. Who is Rosaria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
2. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
3. Why does Franco keep a frog in a basin in his bedroom?
4. How is Juan Francisco welcomed into the world?
5. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
6. What accident befalls Marie while riding horseback to Paraguay?
7. What happens when Franco tries to start a vineyard in the wooded land near his home?
8. Who is Carmencita, and what is her relationship to Franco?
9. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
10. What does the U.S. government think of the Lopez dynasty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ella has an interesting relationship with her servant, Marie, that changes over the course of the novel. Explain the changing relationship that Ella has with Marie, and choose two defining incidents that forever changed the relationship between the two women. Explain the outcome of each incident.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role that Rosaria plays in the upbringing of little Juan Francisco and use that experience to compare and contrast Rosaria's mothering techniques with Ella's mothering techniques to her firstborn son.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)