|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Franco begin training his troops to fight?
2. In what month do Ella and Franco leave for Buenos Ayres?
3. What animal does Franco study in order to learn how to swim?
4. Where do the two Paraguayan businessmen travel without state permission?
5. What does Pancho do when he finally catches his younger brother in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
2. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
3. What happens when Ella and her children are sent to relocate to the small town of Pikysyry?
4. What does the U.S. government think of the Lopez dynasty?
5. What is the Obispo Cue?
6. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
7. What work does Dr. Mastermind do while the Paraguayan forces are at battle with Brazil?
8. How does General Diaz die?
9. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
10. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Henry Kennedy and explain the impact that he had on Ella's life. How does his short presence in the novel change the relationship that Ella has with Franco?
Essay Topic 2
The Paraguayan people proved to be the strongest characters in the novel. Explain the trauma that the Paraguayan people succumbed to and then explain how they proved to be resilient even in the face of extreme adversity.
Essay Topic 3
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)