|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marie?
2. Who writes the letter to Franco declaring him President of Paraguay?
3. What happens to the man who speaks out against Franco during his election?
4. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
5. Who is Charles Washburn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
2. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
4. How is Juan Francisco welcomed into the world?
5. Who is Henry Kennedy, and why is he living in Buenos Ayres?
6. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
7. How does Franco spend his time wooing Ella?
8. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
9. Who is Frederick Mastermind?
10. How does Franco take to his new political power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franco makes many poor decisions regarding his troops during his battle against Brazil. Choose two examples of poor military decisions that Franco makes during the war and explain the outcome that each of these decisions has on his troops.
Essay Topic 2
Ella and Franco had very different childhoods that inevitably led them to each other. Compare and contrast the childhoods that these characters had, and explain how their upbringings irrevocably altered their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Ella has an interesting relationship with her servant, Marie, that changes over the course of the novel. Explain the changing relationship that Ella has with Marie, and choose two defining incidents that forever changed the relationship between the two women. Explain the outcome of each incident.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)