|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
2. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
(a) He pulls his troops from battle.
(b) He sends his troops into battle knowing they will be slaughtered.
(c) He demands victory over Brazil from his troops.
(d) He sends his troops for reinforcement.
3. Where is Curupayty in relation to Humaita?
4. When do the allied forces make a pact to fight until?
(a) Paraguay falls from power.
(b) Franco Lopez is dead.
(c) Franco Lopez is out of power.
(d) Paraguay merges back into one land with Uraguay.
5. How does Franco celebrate the victory at Curupayty?
(a) By promoting General Diaz.
(b) By looting houses.
(c) By giving his troops a day off.
(d) By getting drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion on the day that the people begin to riot?
2. What does Franco do when he realizes his forces have collapsed?
3. How does Franco die?
4. Who does Ella sue in the Parisian courts?
5. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
2. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
3. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
4. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
5. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
6. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
7. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
8. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
9. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
10. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)