|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion on the day that the people begin to riot?
(d) Five hundred.
2. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
(c) Dona Ines.
3. What is the city of San Fernando surrounded by?
4. How does Franco die?
(a) He is executed by the Brazilian courts.
(b) He is stabbed to death.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is drowned.
5. Who finds Maria Olivia's dead body?
(c) Dona Ines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is described as being "appealed" with the wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilians?
2. What is the name of the American General who is sent to guide Ella and her children to Pikysyry?
3. Which of the following is NOT an ailment affecting the wounded in the hospitals of Humaita?
4. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
5. How does Franco reward the men who survived the attack on Riachuelto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
2. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
3. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
4. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
5. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
6. What does Alonzo Taylor witness while marching in the prison lines?
7. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
8. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
9. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
10. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)