|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pancho begin collecting from the enemy soldiers killed in battle?
(a) Locks of their hair.
(b) Their ears.
(c) Their shoes.
(d) Their dog tags.
2. When Ella thinks about leaving Franco, where does she desire to go?
3. How does Dona Dolores' husband die?
(a) He suffered from dysentery.
(b) He was killed in the battle against Brazil.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He was accidentally poisoned.
4. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
5. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
(a) By taking her to play crouquet in the park.
(b) By taking her horseback riding.
(c) By taking her to eat at fancy restaurants.
(d) By taking her swimming in the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the Lopez children been forced to leave behind as they flee to San Fernando?
2. What does Franco demand from all the women in Paraguay to help support his war against Brazil?
3. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
4. Which character arranges for Dr. Mastermind's release from prison?
5. Whose spirit haunts Ella into her old age?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
2. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
3. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
4. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
5. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
6. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
7. How does Pancho die?
8. How does General Diaz die?
9. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
10. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)