|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
(a) Charles Washburn.
(b) Vinciendo Lopez.
(c) Benigno Lopez.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
2. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
(a) Medical gauze.
(b) Potato sacks.
(c) Silk fabric.
3. How does Franco die?
(a) He is drowned.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is executed by the Brazilian courts.
(d) He is stabbed to death.
4. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
(a) He reads about the battles in field reports.
(b) By cowering behind boulders.
(c) He watches through field glasses.
(d) By fighting on the front lines with his men.
5. What does Colonel Estigarribia do after watching half his troops get slaughtered at the Rio Grande?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He surrenders.
(c) He sends the other half of his troops in for backup.
(d) He retreats back to Paraguay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alonzo Taylor do for a living at Obispo Cue?
2. What is General Diaz doing when he is hit during the torpedo strike?
3. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
4. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
5. How many Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion on the day that the people begin to riot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
2. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
3. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
4. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
5. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
6. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
7. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
8. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
9. What conflict does Ella undertake when she decides she wants to leave Franco?
10. What happens to Maria Olivia after the doctor realizes she is ill?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)