|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
(a) In the garden of their estate in Paraguay.
(b) Back at the Obispo Cue.
(c) By the river bed where he died.
(d) She scattered his ashes in the sea.
2. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
3. Why do the Paraguayan forces refuse to fight alongside the indigenous Indians of the land?
(a) Because the Paraguayans are too prideful to ask for help.
(b) Because the Indians are cannibals.
(c) Because Franco refuses to accept the help of the Indians.
(d) Because the Paraguayans are racist.
4. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
5. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
2. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
3. Why are the horses of the Paraguayan Army dying?
4. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
5. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
2. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
3. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
4. What happens when Franco foolishly loses 6,000 men in the marshes of Humaita?
5. How does General Diaz die?
6. Who is Baron von Fischer-Treunfeld?
7. How does Franco treat Benigno and Saturnino after their arrest for treason?
8. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
9. What happens when Ella and Padre Fidel Maiz visit the statues at Caacupe?
10. What happens when the entire Paraguayan fleet is sent to capture the Brazilian fleet in Riacheulto?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)