|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the Lopez children been forced to leave behind as they flee to San Fernando?
(a) Their wet nurses.
(b) Their toys.
(c) Their money.
(d) Their pets.
2. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
(a) She scattered his ashes in the sea.
(b) By the river bed where he died.
(c) Back at the Obispo Cue.
(d) In the garden of their estate in Paraguay.
3. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
(d) One hundred and fifty.
4. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
(a) He watches through field glasses.
(b) By fighting on the front lines with his men.
(c) By cowering behind boulders.
(d) He reads about the battles in field reports.
5. How many Paraguayan men escape the battle against Brazil in Riachuelto?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character arranges for Dr. Mastermind's release from prison?
2. How does Franco die?
3. Who does Ella sue in the Parisian courts?
4. Whose spirit haunts Ella into her old age?
5. What does Franco do when he realizes his forces have collapsed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Ella's belongings when she and her children return to Paris?
2. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
3. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
4. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
5. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
6. How does Benigno spend his days when he returns home from exile?
7. What fate befalls Alonzo Taylor's family after he escapes on a British ship?
8. What does Charles Washburn consider a wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilian forces?
9. What effect does General Diaz have on Franco's troops?
10. What happens when Ella realizes that her horse, Mathilde, is dying by the banks of the Aquidaban River?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)