|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the treatments that Franco's sisters give to Ella?
(a) Spitting on her.
(b) Hiding food from her.
(c) Refusing to talk to her.
(d) Ridiculing her clothes.
2. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Ella's ladies in waiting?
(a) Senora Dona Dolores.
(b) Senora Juliana.
(c) Dona Juana.
(d) Dona Isidora.
3. What threat does Franco's uncle threaten to any bishop who dares to baptize Juan Francisco?
(a) They will be hanged.
(b) They will be excommunicated.
(c) They will be fined.
(d) They will be put into prison.
4. Where does Franco fit in the birth order of his siblings?
(a) He is in the middle.
(b) He is the youngest.
(c) He is the oldest.
(d) He doesn't know - he has never met his brothers.
5. Who writes the letter to Franco declaring him President of Paraguay?
(a) Dona Ines.
(b) No letter arrives, Franco declares himself President.
(c) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(d) Don Pedro.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the two Paraguayan businessmen travel without state permission?
2. Where is San Pedro in relation to Franco's property?
3. Who is Charles Washburn?
4. What does Pancho do when he finally catches his younger brother in the garden?
5. Which of the following is NOT a common practice of the Paraguayan troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franco take to his new political power?
2. What does the U.S. government think of the Lopez dynasty?
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
4. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
5. How does Pancho treat his younger brother Carlos while they are playing in the garden?
6. What happens during the 101-gun salute to Juan Francisco?
7. What accident befalls Marie while riding horseback to Paraguay?
8. What happens to Dr. Kennedy while on his trek across Lake Ipacarai?
9. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
10. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)