Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
(b) The other female passengers.
(c) Dr. Kennedy.
(d) Her newborn son.
2. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
(a) Her nose.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her arm.
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
(a) He goes missing with all of Ella's belongings.
(b) He is murdered.
(c) He falls in love with Ella.
(d) He is arrested.
4. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
(a) The Brazilian people.
(b) The Argentine Republic.
(c) The U.S. Armed Forces.
(d) The extended Lopez family, including brothers and cousins.
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language is Ella learning to speak while she is living in Paraguay?
2. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
3. Which of the following is NOT a common practice of the Paraguayan troops?
4. What does Dona Ines' father do for a living?
5. How does Ella treat Marie after her accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Paraguayan forces conduct themselves in battle with Brazil?
2. How does General Diaz die?
3. What reaction waves through the women of Paraguay when Franco demands that they hand over their jewelry in support of the war against Brazil?
4. How is Ella treated when visiting the opera house Franco has built?
5. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
6. What does Dr. Mastermind realize about Franco's hospitals in Humaita?
7. What does Franco do directly upon arriving to Buenos Ayres?
8. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
9. How does Dr. Mastermind spend his days in prison?
10. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)