|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marie dictate letters back home to?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
2. In what city of Paraguay do Franco and his family live?
3. How does Ella decide to travel after leaving the steamer?
(a) By train.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By foot.
(d) By horseback.
4. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
(b) Maria Olivia.
(d) Dona Ines.
5. What relationship does Carmencita have with Carlos?
(a) They were married.
(b) They were business partners.
(c) They were engaged.
(d) They were siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Ella's ladies in waiting?
2. What country is Dom Pedro the president of?
3. What country does the Banda Oriental belong to?
4. Who is Charles Washburn?
5. What happens to the man who speaks out against Franco during his election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
2. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
3. Who is Isabella de Braganza, and what is her relationship to Franco?
4. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
5. How is Juan Francisco welcomed into the world?
6. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
7. What does Dr. Mastermind do upon his release from prison?
8. What work does Dr. Mastermind do while the Paraguayan forces are at battle with Brazil?
9. How does Pancho behave when he leaves his home and joins his father at Humaita?
10. Why does Franco declare war against Brazil?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)