|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is NOT one of Ella's ladies in waiting?
(a) Dona Isidora.
(b) Dona Juana.
(c) Senora Dona Dolores.
(d) Senora Juliana.
2. How do the women aboard the steamer treat Ella?
(a) With kindness.
(b) With apathy.
(c) With anger.
(d) With smugness.
3. How does Franco feel when Ella finds out about his affairs?
(a) He feels entitled to as many women as he chooses.
(b) He feels guilty over being found out.
(c) He feels nothing toward Ella's grief.
(d) He feels betrayed by Ella's snooping.
4. What material is being used, for the first time in Paraguay, to build the Obispo Cue?
5. Who does Marie dictate letters back home to?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franco deliver to Ella's home, bribing the doorman to give to her?
2. At the opening of the novel, where does Ella live?
3. What relationship does Carmencita have with Carlos?
4. What country does the Banda Oriental belong to?
5. Where does Franco begin training his troops to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ella Lynch and Francisco Solano Lopez meet?
2. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
3. Why does Franco keep a frog in a basin in his bedroom?
4. What is Franco's relationship with his family?
5. Who is Dona Ines?
6. Why does Franco declare war against Brazil?
7. What happens to the groom that Ella hired to care for Mathilde?
8. How do Franco's sisters treat Ella upon her arrival to Paraguay?
9. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
10. Who is Isabella de Braganza, and what is her relationship to Franco?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)