|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Kennedy become unconscious on the shore of the lake?
(a) Another traveler punches him in the face.
(b) He has a stroke.
(c) He blacks out from dehydration.
(d) He hits his head on a rock.
2. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His son.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His brother-in-law.
3. How many times has Ella been married since leaving home?
(b) Three times.
4. What small animal is also aboard the steamer and acts as a constant annoyance to Ella?
(a) A parrot.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A dog.
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the previous dictator of Paraguay order people to stay in their homes while he travels?
2. Which war does Dimitri leave Ella to go fight?
3. Who is Marie?
4. Upon arriving in Buenos Ayres, how does Ella feel about Dimitri?
5. What language is Ella learning to speak while she is living in Paraguay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
2. Why does Ella decide to leave the steamer and continue her travels on horseback?
3. What is Ella's life like leading up to her time in Paris?
4. What does the U.S. government think of the Lopez dynasty?
5. How do Ella and Franco plan to make the trip to Buenos Ayres, and what is their reaction to the journey?
6. Who is Corinna Adelaida, and what is the response to her life?
7. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
8. Why does Franco declare war against Brazil?
9. Who is Henry Kennedy, and why is he living in Buenos Ayres?
10. What is Franco's first act of power in the presidency?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)