|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pancho do when he finally catches his younger brother in the garden?
(a) He pleads with his brother to treat him more kindly.
(b) He gives him a giant hug.
(c) He buries him in a deep hole.
(d) He slaps his brother across the face.
2. What does Ella find most attractive about Franco?
(a) His sympathetic nature.
(b) His humor.
(c) His money.
(d) His strength.
3. In his first act of presidency, who does Franco put on trial for conspiracy?
(a) His brother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
4. Where do the two Paraguayan businessmen travel without state permission?
5. Who is Marie?
(a) Ella's daughter.
(b) Ella's best friend.
(c) Ella's servant.
(d) Ella's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ella's fifth son?
2. At the opening of the novel, where does Ella live?
3. What country does the Banda Oriental belong to?
4. How does Ella feel when she hears the news that Marie has died?
5. What has Franco nicknamed his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work does Dr. Mastermind do while the Paraguayan forces are at battle with Brazil?
2. Why does Ella decide to leave the steamer and continue her travels on horseback?
3. What is life like for Ella and Dimitri before he leaves to fight in the war?
4. How does Ella respond to Marie after Marie suffers her terrible injury?
5. How does Ella pass her time while she is living alone in Buenos Ayres?
6. What happens when Franco and Ella try to have their son baptized?
7. Who is Dona Ines?
8. What is the Obispo Cue?
9. How does Franco take to his new political power?
10. What unexpected troubles arise for Franco when he declares war against Brazil?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)