|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) Small pox.
2. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
3. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
(a) He demands victory over Brazil from his troops.
(b) He pulls his troops from battle.
(c) He sends his troops for reinforcement.
(d) He sends his troops into battle knowing they will be slaughtered.
4. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
5. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
(a) Silk fabric.
(b) Potato sacks.
(c) Medical gauze.
6. What does Franco do when he realizes his forces have collapsed?
(a) He surrenders.
(b) He retreats on horseback.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He continues to fight for himself.
7. Where is Curupayty in relation to Humaita?
8. What does Pancho begin collecting from the enemy soldiers killed in battle?
(a) Locks of their hair.
(b) Their ears.
(c) Their dog tags.
(d) Their shoes.
9. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
(b) New York.
10. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
(a) He reads about the battles in field reports.
(b) He watches through field glasses.
(c) By fighting on the front lines with his men.
(d) By cowering behind boulders.
11. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
(a) The doctor.
(b) A priest.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her children.
12. How long does Miguel Lopez live before he dies prematurely?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two hours.
13. What does Franco demand from all the women in Paraguay to help support his war against Brazil?
(a) Their food.
(b) Locks of their hair.
(c) Their silks.
(d) Their jewelry.
14. Which of the following creatures does NOT infest Dr. Mastermind's cell?
15. Which of the following adjectives best describes General Diaz?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
2. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
3. Who does Franco blame for Miguel's death?
4. What is the name of the American General who is sent to guide Ella and her children to Pikysyry?
5. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)