|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Franco has nightmares, what does he shout in his sleep?
(a) Prayers to the heavens for forgiveness.
(b) The names of family members he has killed.
(c) Regrets for the innocent lives lost in war.
(d) The names of the men out to kill him.
2. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
(a) A priest.
(b) The doctor.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her sister.
3. Who does Ella sue in the Parisian courts?
(a) Charles Washburn.
(b) Dr. Kennedy.
(c) Dr. Mastermind.
(d) Dr. Stewart.
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes General Diaz?
5. What is the city of San Fernando surrounded by?
6. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
7. Why do the Paraguayan forces refuse to fight alongside the indigenous Indians of the land?
(a) Because the Paraguayans are too prideful to ask for help.
(b) Because Franco refuses to accept the help of the Indians.
(c) Because the Paraguayans are racist.
(d) Because the Indians are cannibals.
8. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
9. Why are the horses of the Paraguayan Army dying?
(a) Because they have no water.
(b) Because they all have rabies.
(c) Because they have no pastures to graze in.
(d) Because they are unable to reproduce.
10. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(c) Precious metals.
(d) Gold coins.
11. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
12. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
(a) A piano.
(b) A harmonica.
(c) A flute.
(d) A violin.
13. Why is Dr. Mastermind arrested?
(a) For treason.
(b) For letting General Diaz die.
(c) He is given no reason for his arrest.
(d) For stealing medical supplies.
14. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
(d) Covered in sores.
15. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) Small pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
2. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
3. What have the Lopez children been forced to leave behind as they flee to San Fernando?
4. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
5. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)