|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
(a) In the garden of their estate in Paraguay.
(b) Back at the Obispo Cue.
(c) She scattered his ashes in the sea.
(d) By the river bed where he died.
2. What does Alonzo Taylor do for a living at Obispo Cue?
(a) He is a stone worker.
(b) He is a musician.
(c) He is a gardener.
(d) He is a pool boy.
3. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
(a) His face.
(b) His arm.
(c) His leg.
(d) His neck.
4. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
(a) By threatening him with Franco's power.
(b) By running away and hiding in the woods.
(c) By stabbing him with a sword.
(d) By punching him in the nose.
5. What is the name of the American General who is sent to guide Ella and her children to Pikysyry?
6. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
(a) Lieutenant Major.
(b) Chief of Staff.
(c) Secretary of Defense.
(d) Commander in Chief.
7. When Franco has nightmares, what does he shout in his sleep?
(a) The names of the men out to kill him.
(b) Prayers to the heavens for forgiveness.
(c) Regrets for the innocent lives lost in war.
(d) The names of family members he has killed.
8. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
(a) By taking her horseback riding.
(b) By taking her swimming in the sea.
(c) By taking her to eat at fancy restaurants.
(d) By taking her to play crouquet in the park.
9. When Ella thinks about leaving Franco, where does she desire to go?
10. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
11. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
12. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
(d) Covered in sores.
13. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
(a) A priest.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her children.
(d) The doctor.
14. What does Franco build on the only high ground of Humaita?
(a) A fort.
(b) An opera house.
(c) A play yard for his children.
(d) A hospital.
15. When Ella is peacefully riding through Piribebuy, what does she hear that takes her attention away from the peacefulness of the journey?
(a) She hears an old woman weeping.
(b) She hears a man get shot.
(c) She hears a dog being beaten.
(d) She hears a baby being born.
Short Answer Questions
1. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
2. Who does Charles Washburn think is ill-prepared to deal with arrest and torture?
3. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes General Diaz?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)