|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
2. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
3. Why is Dr. Mastermind arrested?
(a) For stealing medical supplies.
(b) He is given no reason for his arrest.
(c) For treason.
(d) For letting General Diaz die.
4. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
(a) By punching him in the nose.
(b) By stabbing him with a sword.
(c) By running away and hiding in the woods.
(d) By threatening him with Franco's power.
5. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
(a) He watches through field glasses.
(b) By cowering behind boulders.
(c) By fighting on the front lines with his men.
(d) He reads about the battles in field reports.
6. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
(a) Benigno Lopez.
(b) Vinciendo Lopez.
(c) Charles Washburn.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
7. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
8. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
(a) He sends his troops for reinforcement.
(b) He demands victory over Brazil from his troops.
(c) He pulls his troops from battle.
(d) He sends his troops into battle knowing they will be slaughtered.
9. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
10. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
11. Which of the following animals does NOT live in the swamps where Pancho has stationed his men?
(c) Vampire bats.
(d) Poisonous snakes.
12. What does Franco demand from all the women in Paraguay to help support his war against Brazil?
(a) Their food.
(b) Their jewelry.
(c) Their silks.
(d) Locks of their hair.
13. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
(a) Chief of Staff.
(b) Secretary of Defense.
(c) Commander in Chief.
(d) Lieutenant Major.
14. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
15. What does Colonel Estigarribia do after watching half his troops get slaughtered at the Rio Grande?
(a) He retreats back to Paraguay.
(b) He surrenders.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He sends the other half of his troops in for backup.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
2. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
3. What does Pancho begin collecting from the enemy soldiers killed in battle?
4. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
5. Why do the Paraguayan forces refuse to fight alongside the indigenous Indians of the land?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)