|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the American General who is sent to guide Ella and her children to Pikysyry?
2. Why is Dr. Mastermind arrested?
(a) He is given no reason for his arrest.
(b) For letting General Diaz die.
(c) For treason.
(d) For stealing medical supplies.
3. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
(a) By the river bed where he died.
(b) In the garden of their estate in Paraguay.
(c) Back at the Obispo Cue.
(d) She scattered his ashes in the sea.
4. How many Paraguayan men escape the battle against Brazil in Riachuelto?
5. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
6. Who tells Benigno of the plan to overthrow Franco?
(a) Dr. Kennedy.
(b) Charles Washburn.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
7. Which character arranges for Dr. Mastermind's release from prison?
(a) Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld.
(b) Ella Lynch.
(c) Charles Washburn.
(d) Dona Ines.
8. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
9. Why do the Paraguayan forces refuse to fight alongside the indigenous Indians of the land?
(a) Because Franco refuses to accept the help of the Indians.
(b) Because the Indians are cannibals.
(c) Because the Paraguayans are too prideful to ask for help.
(d) Because the Paraguayans are racist.
10. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
(b) Silk fabric.
(c) Medical gauze.
(d) Potato sacks.
11. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
(c) Dona Ines.
12. How long is Dr. Mastermind kept in his jail cell?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Seven months.
13. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
(a) By taking her horseback riding.
(b) By taking her to eat at fancy restaurants.
(c) By taking her swimming in the sea.
(d) By taking her to play crouquet in the park.
14. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
(a) The Franco-Prussian War.
(b) The Second Hundred Years War.
(c) The Great French War.
(d) The Anglo-Martha War.
15. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(a) Gold coins.
(c) Precious metals.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
2. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
3. What is the city of San Fernando surrounded by?
4. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
5. What does Franco do when he realizes his forces have collapsed?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)