|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose spirit haunts Ella into her old age?
(c) Her dead daughter.
(d) The Brazilian soldier.
2. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(c) Small pox.
3. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
4. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
(a) His face.
(b) His neck.
(c) His arm.
(d) His leg.
5. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
(c) Dona Ines.
6. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(b) Precious metals.
(d) Gold coins.
7. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
8. Why do the Paraguayan forces refuse to fight alongside the indigenous Indians of the land?
(a) Because the Indians are cannibals.
(b) Because Franco refuses to accept the help of the Indians.
(c) Because the Paraguayans are too prideful to ask for help.
(d) Because the Paraguayans are racist.
9. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
(a) Potato sacks.
(c) Silk fabric.
(d) Medical gauze.
10. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
11. How many Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion on the day that the people begin to riot?
(a) Five hundred.
12. How does Franco celebrate the victory at Curupayty?
(a) By promoting General Diaz.
(b) By looting houses.
(c) By getting drunk.
(d) By giving his troops a day off.
13. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
14. Who does Charles Washburn think is ill-prepared to deal with arrest and torture?
(a) Benigno Lopez.
(b) Dr. Kennedy.
(c) Vinciendo Lopez.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
15. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
(a) By taking her horseback riding.
(b) By taking her to eat at fancy restaurants.
(c) By taking her swimming in the sea.
(d) By taking her to play crouquet in the park.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes General Diaz?
3. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
4. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
5. To where does Colonel Thompson escape, meeting up with his brother?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)