|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the city of San Fernando surrounded by?
2. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
(a) By threatening him with Franco's power.
(b) By running away and hiding in the woods.
(c) By stabbing him with a sword.
(d) By punching him in the nose.
3. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
(a) His leg.
(b) His neck.
(c) His face.
(d) His arm.
4. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
(a) Lieutenant Major.
(b) Secretary of Defense.
(c) Chief of Staff.
(d) Commander in Chief.
5. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
6. Who does Charles Washburn think is ill-prepared to deal with arrest and torture?
(a) Vinciendo Lopez.
(b) Dr. Mastermind.
(c) Dr. Kennedy.
(d) Benigno Lopez.
7. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
(b) Covered in sores.
8. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) A flute.
(c) A violin.
(d) A piano.
9. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
(a) Dona Ines.
10. How does Franco celebrate the victory at Curupayty?
(a) By getting drunk.
(b) By promoting General Diaz.
(c) By giving his troops a day off.
(d) By looting houses.
11. When Ella is peacefully riding through Piribebuy, what does she hear that takes her attention away from the peacefulness of the journey?
(a) She hears a man get shot.
(b) She hears a baby being born.
(c) She hears a dog being beaten.
(d) She hears an old woman weeping.
12. When do the allied forces make a pact to fight until?
(a) Paraguay falls from power.
(b) Paraguay merges back into one land with Uraguay.
(c) Franco Lopez is out of power.
(d) Franco Lopez is dead.
13. What is General Diaz doing when he is hit during the torpedo strike?
(a) Eating at the mess hall.
(b) Fishing on a bridge.
(c) Rowing his canoe.
(d) Sleeping in his bed.
14. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
(d) Dona Ines.
15. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(c) Precious metals.
(d) Gold coins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
2. What does Colonel Estigarribia do after watching half his troops get slaughtered at the Rio Grande?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
4. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
5. Whose spirit haunts Ella into her old age?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)