|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Charles Washburn think is ill-prepared to deal with arrest and torture?
(a) Benigno Lopez.
(b) Dr. Kennedy.
(c) Dr. Mastermind.
(d) Vinciendo Lopez.
2. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(b) Precious metals.
(c) Gold coins.
3. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
4. Whose spirit haunts Ella into her old age?
(a) The Brazilian soldier.
(c) Her dead daughter.
5. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
(a) Commander in Chief.
(b) Secretary of Defense.
(c) Chief of Staff.
(d) Lieutenant Major.
6. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
(a) She scattered his ashes in the sea.
(b) In the garden of their estate in Paraguay.
(c) Back at the Obispo Cue.
(d) By the river bed where he died.
7. What does Franco demand from all the women in Paraguay to help support his war against Brazil?
(a) Their jewelry.
(b) Their food.
(c) Locks of their hair.
(d) Their silks.
8. Which of the following animals does NOT live in the swamps where Pancho has stationed his men?
(b) Poisonous snakes.
(d) Vampire bats.
9. Which of the following is NOT an ailment affecting the wounded in the hospitals of Humaita?
(b) Scarlet fever.
10. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
11. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
12. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
13. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
14. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
(a) By punching him in the nose.
(b) By threatening him with Franco's power.
(c) By running away and hiding in the woods.
(d) By stabbing him with a sword.
15. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) A violin.
(c) A flute.
(d) A piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes General Diaz?
3. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
4. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
5. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)