|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
2. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
(a) Silk fabric.
(b) Medical gauze.
(c) Potato sacks.
3. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
(a) Her sister.
(b) A priest.
(c) Her children.
(d) The doctor.
4. How does Dona Dolores' husband die?
(a) He suffered from dysentery.
(b) He was accidentally poisoned.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He was killed in the battle against Brazil.
5. What does Franco build on the only high ground of Humaita?
(a) A fort.
(b) A play yard for his children.
(c) A hospital.
(d) An opera house.
6. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
(c) One hundred and fifty.
7. What does Colonel Estigarribia do after watching half his troops get slaughtered at the Rio Grande?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He sends the other half of his troops in for backup.
(c) He retreats back to Paraguay.
(d) He surrenders.
8. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
(a) By cowering behind boulders.
(b) He reads about the battles in field reports.
(c) He watches through field glasses.
(d) By fighting on the front lines with his men.
9. To where does Colonel Thompson escape, meeting up with his brother?
(c) Buenos Ayres.
10. When Franco has nightmares, what does he shout in his sleep?
(a) Regrets for the innocent lives lost in war.
(b) The names of the men out to kill him.
(c) The names of family members he has killed.
(d) Prayers to the heavens for forgiveness.
11. Which of the following creatures does NOT infest Dr. Mastermind's cell?
12. Who does Ella sue in the Parisian courts?
(a) Charles Washburn.
(b) Dr. Stewart.
(c) Dr. Kennedy.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
13. How many Paraguayan men escape the battle against Brazil in Riachuelto?
14. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
(a) His neck.
(b) His arm.
(c) His leg.
(d) His face.
15. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
2. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
3. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
4. What does Alonzo Taylor do for a living at Obispo Cue?
5. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)