|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Franco die?
(a) He is stabbed to death.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is drowned.
(d) He is executed by the Brazilian courts.
2. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
3. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
(d) Dona Ines.
4. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
(c) Dona Ines.
5. When Franco has nightmares, what does he shout in his sleep?
(a) Regrets for the innocent lives lost in war.
(b) The names of the men out to kill him.
(c) Prayers to the heavens for forgiveness.
(d) The names of family members he has killed.
6. How many Paraguayan men escape the battle against Brazil in Riachuelto?
7. When Ella is peacefully riding through Piribebuy, what does she hear that takes her attention away from the peacefulness of the journey?
(a) She hears an old woman weeping.
(b) She hears a dog being beaten.
(c) She hears a baby being born.
(d) She hears a man get shot.
8. Which character arranges for Dr. Mastermind's release from prison?
(a) Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld.
(b) Ella Lynch.
(c) Dona Ines.
(d) Charles Washburn.
9. Whose spirit haunts Ella into her old age?
(a) The Brazilian soldier.
(b) Her dead daughter.
10. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
(c) Covered in sores.
11. Which of the following adjectives best describes General Diaz?
12. Why is Dr. Mastermind arrested?
(a) For stealing medical supplies.
(b) He is given no reason for his arrest.
(c) For letting General Diaz die.
(d) For treason.
13. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
14. Which of the following creatures does NOT infest Dr. Mastermind's cell?
15. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
(a) Secretary of Defense.
(b) Commander in Chief.
(c) Chief of Staff.
(d) Lieutenant Major.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
2. How does Franco celebrate the victory at Curupayty?
3. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
4. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
5. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)