|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
2. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
(b) One hundred and fifty.
3. Which character is described as being "appealed" with the wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilians?
(a) Dr. Kennedy.
(b) Dona Ines.
(c) Charles Washburn.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
4. Who does Franco blame for Miguel's death?
(b) Dr. Mastermind.
5. What is the city of San Fernando surrounded by?
6. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
7. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
8. How does Franco celebrate the victory at Curupayty?
(a) By promoting General Diaz.
(b) By looting houses.
(c) By giving his troops a day off.
(d) By getting drunk.
9. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
(a) He sends his troops into battle knowing they will be slaughtered.
(b) He sends his troops for reinforcement.
(c) He demands victory over Brazil from his troops.
(d) He pulls his troops from battle.
10. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
11. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
12. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
(b) New York.
13. What is General Diaz doing when he is hit during the torpedo strike?
(a) Sleeping in his bed.
(b) Eating at the mess hall.
(c) Fishing on a bridge.
(d) Rowing his canoe.
14. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
(a) He watches through field glasses.
(b) By fighting on the front lines with his men.
(c) By cowering behind boulders.
(d) He reads about the battles in field reports.
15. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A flash flood.
(c) A sandstorm.
(d) A hailstorm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a punishment that Franco's sisters must endure?
2. Which of Ella's sons is killed during the flight from Paraguay?
3. Who finds Maria Olivia's dead body?
4. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
5. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)