|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
(c) Dona Ines.
2. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
(d) New York.
3. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
(a) Her sister.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A priest.
(d) Her children.
4. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
5. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
(d) Dona Ines.
6. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
(a) The Franco-Prussian War.
(b) The Anglo-Martha War.
(c) The Second Hundred Years War.
(d) The Great French War.
7. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
(d) Covered in sores.
8. Which character is described as being "appealed" with the wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilians?
(a) Dr. Kennedy.
(b) Dona Ines.
(c) Charles Washburn.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
9. Who tells Benigno of the plan to overthrow Franco?
(a) Charles Washburn.
(c) Dr. Mastermind.
(d) Dr. Kennedy.
10. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
(a) Vinciendo Lopez.
(b) Charles Washburn.
(c) Benigno Lopez.
(d) Dr. Mastermind.
11. When do the allied forces make a pact to fight until?
(a) Paraguay merges back into one land with Uraguay.
(b) Franco Lopez is out of power.
(c) Franco Lopez is dead.
(d) Paraguay falls from power.
12. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
(a) By stabbing him with a sword.
(b) By running away and hiding in the woods.
(c) By punching him in the nose.
(d) By threatening him with Franco's power.
13. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
(a) By taking her to play crouquet in the park.
(b) By taking her swimming in the sea.
(c) By taking her horseback riding.
(d) By taking her to eat at fancy restaurants.
14. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
15. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
(a) Lieutenant Major.
(b) Secretary of Defense.
(c) Commander in Chief.
(d) Chief of Staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
2. When Ella is peacefully riding through Piribebuy, what does she hear that takes her attention away from the peacefulness of the journey?
3. What does Alonzo Taylor do for a living at Obispo Cue?
4. Why is Dr. Mastermind arrested?
5. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)