|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Franco reward the men who survived the attack on Riachuelto?
(a) He has them jailed.
(b) He sends them home to their families.
(c) He has them killed.
(d) He gives them medals.
2. How does Dona Dolores' husband die?
(a) He was accidentally poisoned.
(b) He was killed in the battle against Brazil.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He suffered from dysentery.
3. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(c) Gold coins.
(d) Precious metals.
4. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
(a) He sends his troops for reinforcement.
(b) He demands victory over Brazil from his troops.
(c) He pulls his troops from battle.
(d) He sends his troops into battle knowing they will be slaughtered.
5. How long is Dr. Mastermind kept in his jail cell?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Seven months.
6. To where does Colonel Thompson escape, meeting up with his brother?
(b) Buenos Ayres.
7. Which of the following adjectives best describes General Diaz?
8. Which of the following animals does NOT live in the swamps where Pancho has stationed his men?
(a) Vampire bats.
(d) Poisonous snakes.
9. When Ella is peacefully riding through Piribebuy, what does she hear that takes her attention away from the peacefulness of the journey?
(a) She hears a baby being born.
(b) She hears an old woman weeping.
(c) She hears a man get shot.
(d) She hears a dog being beaten.
10. How many Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion on the day that the people begin to riot?
(d) Five hundred.
11. Which character is described as being "appealed" with the wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilians?
(a) Dr. Mastermind.
(b) Dr. Kennedy.
(c) Charles Washburn.
(d) Dona Ines.
12. How does Franco die?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is stabbed to death.
(c) He is executed by the Brazilian courts.
(d) He is drowned.
13. What card game does Benigno regularly play when he returns home from exile?
14. When Ella thinks about leaving Franco, where does she desire to go?
15. Why are the horses of the Paraguayan Army dying?
(a) Because they all have rabies.
(b) Because they have no water.
(c) Because they are unable to reproduce.
(d) Because they have no pastures to graze in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Maria Olivia's dead body?
2. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
3. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
4. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
5. What does Alonzo Taylor do for a living at Obispo Cue?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)