|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe the state of Mathilde when the family reaches the Aquidaban River?
(a) Covered in sores.
2. When Franco has nightmares, what does he shout in his sleep?
(a) Prayers to the heavens for forgiveness.
(b) The names of the men out to kill him.
(c) The names of family members he has killed.
(d) Regrets for the innocent lives lost in war.
3. How long does Miguel Lopez live before he dies prematurely?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Two days.
4. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
(d) Dona Ines.
5. What is the city of San Fernando surrounded by?
6. What have the Lopez children been forced to leave behind as they flee to San Fernando?
(a) Their money.
(b) Their wet nurses.
(c) Their pets.
(d) Their toys.
7. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(a) Precious metals.
(d) Gold coins.
8. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
(a) By stabbing him with a sword.
(b) By threatening him with Franco's power.
(c) By running away and hiding in the woods.
(d) By punching him in the nose.
9. What does Colonel Estigarribia do after watching half his troops get slaughtered at the Rio Grande?
(a) He surrenders.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He sends the other half of his troops in for backup.
(d) He retreats back to Paraguay.
10. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
(a) By the river bed where he died.
(b) Back at the Obispo Cue.
(c) She scattered his ashes in the sea.
(d) In the garden of their estate in Paraguay.
11. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
(a) Silk fabric.
(b) Potato sacks.
(c) Medical gauze.
12. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
(b) Small pox.
(c) Scarlet fever.
13. What is General Robles' response to the swift defeat of the Paraguayan Navy at Riachuelto?
(a) He sends his troops for reinforcement.
(b) He demands victory over Brazil from his troops.
(c) He pulls his troops from battle.
(d) He sends his troops into battle knowing they will be slaughtered.
14. Who tells Benigno of the plan to overthrow Franco?
(b) Charles Washburn.
(c) Dr. Mastermind.
(d) Dr. Kennedy.
15. How many generals does Franco put in charge of his troops at the Rio Grande?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Curupayty in relation to Humaita?
2. What does Franco give to Ella when she arrives at Humaita?
3. How does Franco die?
4. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
5. How does Dona Dolores' husband die?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)