|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ella is peacefully riding through Piribebuy, what does she hear that takes her attention away from the peacefulness of the journey?
(a) She hears a man get shot.
(b) She hears an old woman weeping.
(c) She hears a baby being born.
(d) She hears a dog being beaten.
2. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
(b) One hundred and fifty.
3. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
4. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
5. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
(b) New York.
6. Who does Ella take with her to Caacupe to rob the statues?
(a) A priest.
(b) The doctor.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her children.
7. What does Franco do when he realizes his forces have collapsed?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He continues to fight for himself.
(c) He surrenders.
(d) He retreats on horseback.
8. Shortly after Ella arrives in Paris, what war breaks out?
(a) The Anglo-Martha War.
(b) The Great French War.
(c) The Franco-Prussian War.
(d) The Second Hundred Years War.
9. What does Pancho begin collecting from the enemy soldiers killed in battle?
(a) Their dog tags.
(b) Their shoes.
(c) Their ears.
(d) Locks of their hair.
10. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
(a) Small pox.
(b) Scarlet fever.
11. What is General Diaz doing when he is hit during the torpedo strike?
(a) Fishing on a bridge.
(b) Eating at the mess hall.
(c) Sleeping in his bed.
(d) Rowing his canoe.
12. How does Franco celebrate the victory at Curupayty?
(a) By looting houses.
(b) By promoting General Diaz.
(c) By getting drunk.
(d) By giving his troops a day off.
13. Which of the following characters are NOT jailed together in San Fernando?
(a) Vinciendo Lopez.
(b) Benigno Lopez.
(c) Dr. Mastermind.
(d) Charles Washburn.
14. Which of the following characters is struck by lightning but manages to survive?
(b) Dona Ines.
15. How many men does Franco foolishly lose during his battle in the marshes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dr. Mastermind arrested?
2. Who does Charles Washburn think is ill-prepared to deal with arrest and torture?
3. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
4. What city does Ella tell her children about while they are watching the executions?
5. Which of the following is NOT an ailment affecting the wounded in the hospitals of Humaita?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)