|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
2. At the time when the Brazilian steamers arrive in Asuncion, how many cannons does the city have to protect itself with?
3. How does Dona Dolores' husband die?
(a) He was accidentally poisoned.
(b) He was killed in the battle against Brazil.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He suffered from dysentery.
4. What freak weather occurs when Ella is looting the statues?
(a) A flash flood.
(b) A hailstorm.
(c) A sandstorm.
(d) A tornado.
5. Where is General MacMahon recalled to after the fall of Asuncion?
(a) New York.
6. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
(a) By running away and hiding in the woods.
(b) By threatening him with Franco's power.
(c) By stabbing him with a sword.
(d) By punching him in the nose.
7. Which character is described as being "appealed" with the wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilians?
(a) Dr. Mastermind.
(b) Dr. Kennedy.
(c) Charles Washburn.
(d) Dona Ines.
8. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
9. How does Baron von Fischer-Truenfeld woo Ella?
(a) By taking her to eat at fancy restaurants.
(b) By taking her to play crouquet in the park.
(c) By taking her swimming in the sea.
(d) By taking her horseback riding.
10. To where does Colonel Thompson escape, meeting up with his brother?
(c) Buenos Ayres.
11. How many Paraguayan men escape the battle against Brazil in Riachuelto?
12. What is General Diaz's position in Franco's army?
(a) Chief of Staff.
(b) Commander in Chief.
(c) Lieutenant Major.
(d) Secretary of Defense.
13. Where does Ella bury Franco's body?
(a) In the garden of their estate in Paraguay.
(b) By the river bed where he died.
(c) Back at the Obispo Cue.
(d) She scattered his ashes in the sea.
14. What does Colonel Estigarribia do after watching half his troops get slaughtered at the Rio Grande?
(a) He sends the other half of his troops in for backup.
(b) He surrenders.
(c) He retreats back to Paraguay.
(d) He kills himself.
15. Which of the following animals does NOT live in the swamps where Pancho has stationed his men?
(a) Vampire bats.
(b) Poisonous snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe do the indigenous Indians of Paraguay belong to?
2. What does Franco demand from all the women in Paraguay to help support his war against Brazil?
3. Who finds Maria Olivia's dead body?
4. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
5. Which of the following characters manages to coax Mathilde back into health?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)