|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is General Diaz injured during the torpedo strike?
(a) His leg.
(b) His face.
(c) His neck.
(d) His arm.
2. Who does Charles Washburn think is ill-prepared to deal with arrest and torture?
(a) Dr. Kennedy.
(b) Dr. Mastermind.
(c) Benigno Lopez.
(d) Vinciendo Lopez.
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Franco's state of mind when he reaches the Aquidaban River?
4. What does Franco have his brothers arrested for?
5. How does Franco witness the battles at Curupayty?
(a) By fighting on the front lines with his men.
(b) By cowering behind boulders.
(c) He reads about the battles in field reports.
(d) He watches through field glasses.
6. What is Maria Oliva's dead body wrapped in while it awaits preparations?
(b) Silk fabric.
(c) Medical gauze.
(d) Potato sacks.
7. What is the man sent across the river from Argentina suffering from?
(b) Small pox.
(c) Scarlet fever.
8. Which character is described as being "appealed" with the wasted golden opportunity for the Brazilians?
(a) Dona Ines.
(b) Charles Washburn.
(c) Dr. Mastermind.
(d) Dr. Kennedy.
9. When Franco has nightmares, what does he shout in his sleep?
(a) The names of the men out to kill him.
(b) Prayers to the heavens for forgiveness.
(c) The names of family members he has killed.
(d) Regrets for the innocent lives lost in war.
10. Which of the following animals does NOT live in the swamps where Pancho has stationed his men?
(a) Poisonous snakes.
(b) Vampire bats.
11. What does Franco demand from all the women in Paraguay to help support his war against Brazil?
(a) Their food.
(b) Their silks.
(c) Their jewelry.
(d) Locks of their hair.
12. What does Franco do when he realizes his forces have collapsed?
(a) He surrenders.
(b) He retreats on horseback.
(c) He continues to fight for himself.
(d) He kills himself.
13. How long does Miguel Lopez live before he dies prematurely?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
14. When Ella returns to Paris, where does she hear that Princess Mathilde is living?
15. What do believers donate to the statues at Caacupe?
(c) Precious metals.
(d) Gold coins.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Franco escapes the fall of Piribebuy, how many men are in his ragtag army?
2. How does Franco reward the men who survived the attack on Riachuelto?
3. How does Ella defend herself against the native Brazilian that attacks her while she is traveling?
4. How many ships does Franco send to Riachuelto with the hopes of capturing the Brazilian fleet?
5. What military implement does Lieutenant Major George Thompson build at Curupayty?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)