|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country does Franco constantly worry will begin fighting him for more land?
2. What relationship does Carmencita have with Carlos?
(a) They were engaged.
(b) They were married.
(c) They were siblings.
(d) They were business partners.
3. Who does Marie dictate letters back home to?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
4. What country does Henry Kennedy come to Buenos Ayres from?
5. How does the Humaita Fort block entrance to their rivers?
(a) With military men.
(b) With chains.
(c) With sharp metal spikes.
(d) With sandbags.
6. What is the name of the lake that Dr. Kennedy hopes to trek?
(a) Lake Cowasack.
(b) Lake Lalurna.
(c) Lake Mojambishu.
(d) Lake Ipacari.
7. At the opening of the novel, where does Ella live?
(a) In Ireland.
(b) In Russia.
(c) In Paraguay.
(d) In Paris.
8. Which of Franco's sons is described as being slow and not very good at hiding?
9. Who is Rosaria?
(a) A wet nurse.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A grocer.
10. Which of the following characters does NOT travel to Buenos Ayres with Ella and Franco?
(c) Dona Ines.
11. Which war does Dimitri leave Ella to go fight?
(a) The First World War.
(b) The Crimean War.
(c) The Balkan War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
12. What do many of the Paraguayan soldiers suffer from due to their diet?
(b) Kidney stones.
13. Why does Franco's father have Carlos arrested?
(a) For treason.
(b) For theivery.
(c) For murder.
(d) For debts.
14. Who writes the letter to Franco declaring him President of Paraguay?
(a) No letter arrives, Franco declares himself President.
(b) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(c) Don Pedro.
(d) Dona Ines.
15. How does Ella respond to the death of her daughter?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is devastated.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She is annoyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women aboard the steamer treat Ella?
2. What happens to the man who speaks out against Franco during his election?
3. Which of the following is NOT a name given to Ella and Franco's sons?
4. What animal does Franco study in order to learn how to swim?
5. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)