|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His son.
(d) His uncle.
2. What does Pancho do when he finally catches his younger brother in the garden?
(a) He buries him in a deep hole.
(b) He pleads with his brother to treat him more kindly.
(c) He slaps his brother across the face.
(d) He gives him a giant hug.
3. What is the name of the previous dictator of Paraguay, before Franco's father?
(a) King Peter Phillipe.
(b) Luz Pasqual.
(c) Hernando de Cueranto.
(d) Don Jose Gaspar Rodriguez de Francia.
4. What do many of the Paraguayan soldiers suffer from due to their diet?
(d) Kidney stones.
5. Why does the bishop refuse to baptize Juan Francisco?
(a) Because the bishop has been paid to ignore Ella's request.
(b) Because Franco and Ella aren't married.
(c) Because he believes the baby is possessed.
(d) Because Franco and Ella aren't members of the church.
6. What animal does Franco study in order to learn how to swim?
(a) A fish.
(b) A salamander.
(c) A turtle.
(d) A frog.
7. How many innocent people are put into prisons during the dictatorship prior to Franco's father taking power?
(a) One million men.
(b) No innocent men were put in prison.
(c) Hundreds of men.
(d) Thousands of men.
8. What color is the horse that Franco purchases for Ella?
9. Where do the two Paraguayan businessmen travel without state permission?
10. What country does the Banda Oriental belong to?
11. What is revealed to be Franco's biggest fear?
12. How many daughters does Ella give birth to through the course of her child bearing years?
13. How do the women aboard the steamer treat Ella?
(a) With anger.
(b) With apathy.
(c) With kindness.
(d) With smugness.
14. How does Ella pass her time in Buenos Ayres?
(a) By reading.
(b) By partying.
(c) By sleeping.
(d) By traveling.
15. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
(a) Her newborn son.
(b) The other female passengers.
(c) Dr. Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
2. Which of Franco's sons is described as being slow and not very good at hiding?
3. What type of resistance do the Paraguayan ground troops meet in Brazil?
4. How does Ella decide to travel after leaving the steamer?
5. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)