|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ella stay while living in Buenos Ayres?
(a) In her newly purchased estate.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) At a friend's home.
(d) On the steamer ship.
2. How does Ella feel when she hears the news that Marie has died?
(a) She is confused and refuses to believe that her friend has died.
(b) She stays in mourning for weeks.
(c) She is completely apathetic.
(d) She is momentarilly sad but quickly gets over it.
3. Which of Franco's sons is already showing his tendency toward being unemotional?
4. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
(a) His son.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His cousin.
5. At the opening of the novel, where does Ella live?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Ireland.
(c) In Russia.
(d) In Paraguay.
6. Why does Ella stay behind in Buenos Ayres while Franco travels ahead?
(a) Becuase she is ill.
(b) To have the baby.
(c) Because she doesn't want to meet Franco's family.
(d) To purchase a home.
7. On what part of Franco's body must Dr. Mastermind attempt surgery?
(a) On his fingers.
(b) On his stomach.
(c) On his teeth.
(d) On his toes.
8. Who is the first to discover that Ella is pregnant?
(c) Dona Ines.
9. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
(a) The other female passengers.
(b) Dr. Kennedy.
(c) Her newborn son.
10. What effect is the surge of troops having on the people of Paraguay?
11. How many daughters does Ella give birth to through the course of her child bearing years?
12. Who does Marie dictate letters back home to?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her father.
13. What does Franco deliver to Ella's home, bribing the doorman to give to her?
(a) A lacy brassiere.
(b) His calling card.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) A new horse.
14. How does Ella pass her time in Buenos Ayres?
(a) By traveling.
(b) By partying.
(c) By sleeping.
(d) By reading.
15. Who returns to Marie to tend to her injuries?
(a) Dr. Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ella do for Franco every night until he falls asleep?
2. What small animal is also aboard the steamer and acts as a constant annoyance to Ella?
3. What is the name of Franco's apothecary general?
4. In what city of Paraguay do Franco and his family live?
5. How old is Ella when she leaves her childhood home and changes her name?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)