|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ella doing when her water breaks?
(a) Traveling back to the city.
(b) Shopping for new shoes.
(c) Taking a bath.
(d) Writing a letter to Dimitri.
2. Who writes the letter to Franco declaring him President of Paraguay?
(a) No letter arrives, Franco declares himself President.
(b) Don Pedro.
(c) Dona Ines.
(d) Napoleon Bonaparte.
3. When Franco begins his war with Brazil, who does he liken himself to in battle?
(a) His father.
(d) George Washington.
4. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her nose.
5. Why is General Vincent Barrios considered ill-prepared to lead the troops in battle?
(a) Because he is severely overweight.
(b) Becuase he is always drunk.
(c) Because he does not speak Spanish.
(d) Because he cannot read.
6. Where does Franco fit in the birth order of his siblings?
(a) He is the youngest.
(b) He doesn't know - he has never met his brothers.
(c) He is the oldest.
(d) He is in the middle.
7. How does Ella decide to travel after leaving the steamer?
(a) By foot.
(b) By train.
(c) By carriage.
(d) By horseback.
8. What does Dona Ines' father do for a living?
(a) He was a teacher.
(b) He was a soldier.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He was a carpenter.
9. What does Ella find most attractive about Franco?
(a) His sympathetic nature.
(b) His money.
(c) His humor.
(d) His strength.
10. Which adjective does Franco use to describe his sisters?
11. How does Ella treat Marie after her accident?
(a) She prays feverishly.
(b) She leaves her behind.
(c) She stays by her side.
(d) She sends a letter wishing Marie well.
12. What sport does Ella take up to remove her mind from Franco's affairs?
(a) Horse back riding.
13. How does Ella pass her time in Buenos Ayres?
(a) By sleeping.
(b) By reading.
(c) By partying.
(d) By traveling.
14. In what city of Paraguay do Franco and his family live?
15. What country is Dom Pedro the president of?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ella respond to the death of her daughter?
2. How many daughters does Ella give birth to through the course of her child bearing years?
3. Who returns to Marie to tend to her injuries?
4. What does Ella decide to name her newborn son?
5. In what month do Ella and Franco leave for Buenos Ayres?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)