|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the previous dictator of Paraguay, before Franco's father?
(a) Don Jose Gaspar Rodriguez de Francia.
(b) Luz Pasqual.
(c) Hernando de Cueranto.
(d) King Peter Phillipe.
2. How old is Ella when she leaves her childhood home and changes her name?
3. What effect is the surge of troops having on the people of Paraguay?
4. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
5. Which of the following is NOT a common practice of the Paraguayan troops?
(a) Raping women.
(b) Pillaging villages.
(c) Shooting troops as they attempt to surrender.
(d) Setting homes on fire.
6. What small animal is also aboard the steamer and acts as a constant annoyance to Ella?
(a) A ferret.
(b) A parrot.
(c) A dog.
(d) A monkey.
7. Why does Ella stay behind in Buenos Ayres while Franco travels ahead?
(a) Because she doesn't want to meet Franco's family.
(b) Becuase she is ill.
(c) To purchase a home.
(d) To have the baby.
8. What object of Ella's does Franco stop and pick up when she drops it?
(a) A gold threaded necklace.
(b) One of her silk gloves.
(c) A feather from her hat.
(d) A parasol.
9. Where does Franco fit in the birth order of his siblings?
(a) He is in the middle.
(b) He is the youngest.
(c) He is the oldest.
(d) He doesn't know - he has never met his brothers.
10. How do Ella and Franco plan to travel to Buenos Ayres?
(a) By car.
(b) By ship.
(c) By plane.
(d) By carriage.
11. During what month of the year does Ella and company finally arrive in Buenos Ayres?
12. What is the name of the lake that Dr. Kennedy hopes to trek?
(a) Lake Cowasack.
(b) Lake Mojambishu.
(c) Lake Ipacari.
(d) Lake Lalurna.
13. What project does Franco undertake with French colonists on his land?
(a) Building a chicken farm.
(b) Building a vineyard.
(c) Building a school.
(d) Building a church.
14. Why does Franco's father have Carlos arrested?
(a) For theivery.
(b) For treason.
(c) For murder.
(d) For debts.
15. What does Ella decide to name her newborn son?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed to be Franco's biggest fear?
2. Why is General Vincent Barrios considered ill-prepared to lead the troops in battle?
3. What type of resistance do the Paraguayan ground troops meet in Brazil?
4. Where does Franco begin training his troops to fight?
5. How do the women aboard the steamer treat Ella?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)