|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sent to San Pedro in a form of banishment?
(a) Padre Maiz.
(c) Dona Juana.
(d) Chief Justice Lescano.
2. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
(a) He goes missing with all of Ella's belongings.
(b) He is murdered.
(c) He falls in love with Ella.
(d) He is arrested.
3. What does Ella decide to name her newborn son?
4. What does Charles Washburn think of the Lopez dynasty?
(a) That they are an empire.
(b) That they are a monarchy.
(c) That they are a sound political party.
(d) That they are a tyranny.
5. In what city of Paraguay do Franco and his family live?
6. What animal does Franco study in order to learn how to swim?
(a) A fish.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A frog.
(d) A salamander.
7. Who is the first to discover that Ella is pregnant?
(a) Dona Ines.
8. Who is Rosaria?
(a) A grocer.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A wet nurse.
(d) A chemist.
9. What does Dona Ines' father do for a living?
(a) He was a carpenter.
(b) He was a chef.
(c) He was a soldier.
(d) He was a teacher.
10. Who does Franco put in charge of ground forces in Brazil?
(a) His son.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His brother-in-law.
(d) His uncle.
11. How does Ella decide to travel after leaving the steamer?
(a) By horseback.
(b) By foot.
(c) By train.
(d) By carriage.
12. What is the name of Ella's fifth son?
13. What is the name of Franco's apothecary general?
(a) Gerard Peaceweaver.
(b) Frederick Mastermind.
(c) Bernard Herosong.
(d) Ludwig Stronghold.
14. At the opening of the novel, where does Ella live?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Paraguay.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) In Russia.
15. What country does the Banda Oriental belong to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marie dictate letters back home to?
2. What color does Ella want the Obispo Cue painted?
3. What does Ella do for Franco every night until he falls asleep?
4. How does Ella pass her time in Buenos Ayres?
5. In addition to the Obispo Cue, what other building does Franco build for Ella?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)