Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
(b) The other female passengers.
(c) Dr. Kennedy.
(d) Her newborn son.
2. What part of Marie's body is broken during her accident?
(a) Her nose.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her arm.
3. What happens to the groom that Ella hires to care for her horse?
(a) He goes missing with all of Ella's belongings.
(b) He is murdered.
(c) He falls in love with Ella.
(d) He is arrested.
4. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
(a) The Brazilian people.
(b) The Argentine Republic.
(c) The U.S. Armed Forces.
(d) The extended Lopez family, including brothers and cousins.
5. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
6. What language is Ella learning to speak while she is living in Paraguay?
7. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
(a) Dona Ines.
(b) Maria Olivia.
8. Which of the following is NOT a common practice of the Paraguayan troops?
(a) Pillaging villages.
(b) Setting homes on fire.
(c) Shooting troops as they attempt to surrender.
(d) Raping women.
9. What does Dona Ines' father do for a living?
(a) He was a carpenter.
(b) He was a chef.
(c) He was a teacher.
(d) He was a soldier.
10. How does Ella treat Marie after her accident?
(a) She prays feverishly.
(b) She leaves her behind.
(c) She sends a letter wishing Marie well.
(d) She stays by her side.
11. During what month of the year does Ella and company finally arrive in Buenos Ayres?
12. How does Franco feel when Ella finds out about his affairs?
(a) He feels nothing toward Ella's grief.
(b) He feels betrayed by Ella's snooping.
(c) He feels entitled to as many women as he chooses.
(d) He feels guilty over being found out.
13. Who is sent to San Pedro in a form of banishment?
(a) Dona Juana.
(c) Padre Maiz.
(d) Chief Justice Lescano.
14. What accident happens to Marie during her travels to Paraguay?
(a) She falls off her horse.
(b) She is stuck in a rockslide.
(c) She falls down into a well.
(d) She steps on a landmine.
15. Who is the first to discover that Ella is pregnant?
(a) Dona Ines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pancho do when he finally catches his younger brother in the garden?
2. Who is Charles Washburn?
3. Why is Ella upset by what happens to the groom she has hired to care for her horse?
4. What small animal is also aboard the steamer and acts as a constant annoyance to Ella?
5. What does Henry Kennedy do for a living?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)