|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ella have trouble conversing with aboard the steamer?
(b) The other female passengers.
(c) Her newborn son.
(d) Dr. Kennedy.
2. What sport does Ella take up to remove her mind from Franco's affairs?
(a) Horse back riding.
3. To whom is Princess Mathilde reportedly related to?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(d) King Henry VIII.
4. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
(a) Maria Olivia.
(d) Dona Ines.
5. In what city of Paraguay do Franco and his family live?
6. Which war does Dimitri leave Ella to go fight?
(a) The Balkan War.
(b) The Crimean War.
(c) The First World War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
7. Who is sent to San Pedro in a form of banishment?
(a) Dona Juana.
(b) Chief Justice Lescano.
(c) Padre Maiz.
8. Why does Ella stay behind in Buenos Ayres while Franco travels ahead?
(a) To purchase a home.
(b) Because she doesn't want to meet Franco's family.
(c) Becuase she is ill.
(d) To have the baby.
9. Which country does Franco constantly worry will begin fighting him for more land?
10. What country does Henry Kennedy come to Buenos Ayres from?
11. In his first act of presidency, who does Franco put on trial for conspiracy?
(a) His brother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
12. How does Ella treat Marie after her accident?
(a) She prays feverishly.
(b) She stays by her side.
(c) She sends a letter wishing Marie well.
(d) She leaves her behind.
13. At the opening of the novel, where does Ella live?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Russia.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) In Paraguay.
14. What country does the Banda Oriental belong to?
15. Who is the first to discover that Ella is pregnant?
(c) Dona Ines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the previous dictator of Paraguay order people to stay in their homes while he travels?
2. What small animal is also aboard the steamer and acts as a constant annoyance to Ella?
3. What animal does Franco ride in the military because it sits him higher than the rest of the troops?
4. Where does Franco begin training his troops to fight?
5. What does Dona Ines' father do for a living?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)