|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his first act of presidency, who does Franco put on trial for conspiracy?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
2. Which of the following groups of people are NOT considered a threat by Franco?
(a) The extended Lopez family, including brothers and cousins.
(b) The Brazilian people.
(c) The U.S. Armed Forces.
(d) The Argentine Republic.
3. Which of the following characters does NOT travel to Buenos Ayres with Ella and Franco?
(b) Dona Ines.
4. During what month does Ella write a letter rebuking Franco's sisters to Mathilde?
5. Where does Ella stay while living in Buenos Ayres?
(a) In her newly purchased estate.
(b) At a friend's home.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) On the steamer ship.
6. What small animal is also aboard the steamer and acts as a constant annoyance to Ella?
(a) A dog.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A parrot.
(d) A ferret.
7. What language is Ella learning to speak while she is living in Paraguay?
8. Which country does Franco constantly worry will begin fighting him for more land?
9. How does Corinna die?
(a) She dies in a farming accident.
(b) She drowns in the river.
(c) She dies of the measles.
(d) She dies of unknown causes.
10. How does Dr. Kennedy become unconscious on the shore of the lake?
(a) He hits his head on a rock.
(b) He has a stroke.
(c) He blacks out from dehydration.
(d) Another traveler punches him in the face.
11. What object of Ella's does Franco stop and pick up when she drops it?
(a) A gold threaded necklace.
(b) One of her silk gloves.
(c) A parasol.
(d) A feather from her hat.
12. Where do Paraguayan forces find their first set of Brazilians to imprison?
(a) On a cruise ship.
(b) On a yacht.
(c) On a steamer.
(d) On a fishing boat.
13. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
(a) Dona Ines.
(d) Maria Olivia.
14. What relationship does Carmencita have with Carlos?
(a) They were business partners.
(b) They were siblings.
(c) They were engaged.
(d) They were married.
15. How does Franco travel to Paraguay from Buenos Ayres?
(a) By taxi.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By mule.
(d) By boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sent to San Pedro in a form of banishment?
2. How many siblings does Franco have?
3. Where do the two Paraguayan businessmen travel without state permission?
4. What animal does Franco study in order to learn how to swim?
5. Who is the first to discover that Ella is pregnant?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)