|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ella upset by what happens to the groom she has hired to care for her horse?
(a) She is worried about the groom's emotions.
(b) She is worried that she'll have to hire a new groom.
(c) She is worried that the horse may now by traumatized.
(d) She is worried that Franco will find out what has happened.
2. What threat does Franco's uncle threaten to any bishop who dares to baptize Juan Francisco?
(a) They will be hanged.
(b) They will be excommunicated.
(c) They will be fined.
(d) They will be put into prison.
3. What do many of the Paraguayan soldiers suffer from due to their diet?
(b) Kidney stones.
4. Why is Marie delirious during her last days of life?
(a) From starvation.
(b) From a concussion.
(c) From blood loss.
(d) From fever.
5. At the opening of the novel, where does Ella live?
(a) In Paraguay.
(b) In Ireland.
(c) In Russia.
(d) In Paris.
6. Which of Franco's sons is already showing his tendency toward being unemotional?
7. Who is Marie?
(a) Ella's sister.
(b) Ella's best friend.
(c) Ella's daughter.
(d) Ella's servant.
8. Why is General Vincent Barrios considered ill-prepared to lead the troops in battle?
(a) Because he is severely overweight.
(b) Becuase he is always drunk.
(c) Because he does not speak Spanish.
(d) Because he cannot read.
9. Which of the following characters is typically the only one to parent Franco's sons?
(b) Maria Olivia.
(c) Senora Juliana.
(d) Dona Ines.
10. What is Ella doing when her water breaks?
(a) Traveling back to the city.
(b) Writing a letter to Dimitri.
(c) Taking a bath.
(d) Shopping for new shoes.
11. How many siblings does Franco have?
12. On what part of Franco's body must Dr. Mastermind attempt surgery?
(a) On his toes.
(b) On his fingers.
(c) On his stomach.
(d) On his teeth.
13. During what month of the year does Ella and company finally arrive in Buenos Ayres?
14. What is the name of the lake that Dr. Kennedy hopes to trek?
(a) Lake Cowasack.
(b) Lake Ipacari.
(c) Lake Mojambishu.
(d) Lake Lalurna.
15. Who writes letters home to Yvette pretending to be Maria?
(a) Maria Olivia.
(b) Dona Ines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to Marie to tend to her injuries?
2. In his first act of presidency, who does Franco put on trial for conspiracy?
3. Which adjective does Franco use to describe his sisters?
4. What is the nationality of Dimitri, Ella's live-in man?
5. Which of the following is NOT a name given to Ella and Franco's sons?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)