|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a ship vary in density?
(a) According to how long it takes to get underway.
(b) According to how much water is on board.
(c) According to its load.
(d) According to the speed it is making.
2. What is an object's weight divided by its volume?
(a) The object's ability to exert force.
(b) An object's elemental number.
(c) The object's constant mass.
(d) An object's density.
3. What additional tasks can a boat with two triangular sails do?
(a) Multiply the suction force by three.
(b) Divide the suction force.
(c) Achieve one additional suction force.
(d) Achieve two additional suction forces.
4. How does a rocket engine power the craft?
(a) By the turning of a propeller.
(b) By nuclear fusion.
(c) By the combustion of one propellant.
(d) By the combustion of two propellants.
5. What do machines that keep something cool do to heat?
(a) Exchange it with cold material.
(b) Remove it.
(c) Transpose it.
(d) Cause a change in velocity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What controls direction on a ship?
2. Upon what does the amount of upthrust of an object in water depend?
3. What occurs when molecules begin vibrating in a solid, then speed up their vibration when heated?
4. What is a substance that contains only one type of atom?
5. What is the transfer of heat through infrared rays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What determines if an object will float?
2. What does the principle of the conservation of energy state? How does Part 1 relate to that principle?
3. Discuss why the density of water varies.
4. Define combustion. How is combustion used?
5. Explain thermal radiation.
6. How can electric heat keep things cold?
7. What is a vacuum? What is one invention that uses this principle?
8. Discuss the two principles upon which propellers and rudders work in a boat.
9. Discuss how sails are used on a boat.
10. How does a ship use plimsoll lines?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)