|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is electricity flowing through a wire?
2. What is an example of a second-class lever?
(a) A crane.
(b) An engine block system.
(c) A nutcracker.
(d) A clock.
3. What controls direction on a ship?
(a) A drive.
(b) A valve.
(c) A screw.
(d) A rudder.
4. What happens when an object is placed in water?
(a) The water is repelled by the electrical force of the object.
(b) The water molecules push against the object.
(c) The object sinks.
(d) The object absorbs the water's atoms.
5. How does a ship vary in density?
(a) According to how much water is on board.
(b) According to how long it takes to get underway.
(c) According to the speed it is making.
(d) According to its load.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a wedge move an object up an inclined plane?
2. What does the inclined plane do?
3. What do machines that keep something cool do to heat?
4. Where are wheels and axles found?
5. How does floating harness the power obtained by squeezing or stretching molecules?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rotor blades on a helicopter work?
2. Discuss the four types of gears.
3. Discuss why the density of water varies.
4. What is an airfoil and how does it work?
5. Upon what law of physics are the simple machines that are introduced in Part 1 governed?
6. Discuss the two principles upon which propellers and rudders work in a boat.
7. Explain thermal radiation.
8. Discuss how sails are used on a boat.
9. Discuss what happens when a driving force initiates movement.
10. What is a vacuum? What is one invention that uses this principle?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)