|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Working with Waves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The rack and pinion is an example of ______________.
(a) A stifle.
(b) A lever.
(c) A gear.
(d) A wedge.
2. What happens when an object is placed in water?
(a) The object sinks.
(b) The water molecules push against the object.
(c) The object absorbs the water's atoms.
(d) The water is repelled by the electrical force of the object.
3. What is a first-class lever?
(a) Where there is no load needed for the effort.
(b) Where the effort and the load are equal distances from the fulcrum.
(c) Where the distance is further from the fulcrum than the effort.
(d) Where the effort is a greater distance from the fulcrum than the load.
4. What does one have to understand in order to understand the way things work?
(a) The function of something.
(b) The underlying principle.
(c) The reason something is made.
(d) The terms of physics.
5. What does the inclined plane do?
(a) Increases effort.
(b) Decreases gravitational force.
(c) Extends the distance to a rise.
(d) Decreases effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term for the process of molecules moving further apart in convection?
2. What happens when orbiting electrons are energized so that they jump away from their nucleus and then fall back?
3. What causes increased heat in the process of conduction?
4. What is the meaning of the acronym LASER?
5. What happens if the force of upthrust is equal to the weight of an object in water?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)