|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Harnassing the Elements, Exploiting Heat, Nuclear Power, pp. 142-173.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the transfer of heat through infrared rays?
(b) Thermal radiation.
(c) Heat cannot transfer through infrared rays.
2. What is applied to a lever to make it move?
(a) Gravitational pull.
3. How many forces hold things together?
4. What pumps refrigerant out in an air conditioner?
(a) A gear.
(b) A compressor.
(d) A solenoid.
5. What controls the movement in a gear system?
(a) The inertia needed to be overcome.
(b) The size of the gear.
(c) The rotation of the gear.
(d) The size of the belt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs when molecules begin vibrating in a solid, then speed up their vibration when heated?
2. What is the result of a collision of molecules which break on impact forming new and different molecules?
3. What do you have to use in order to accomplish work with half the effort?
4. What is a first-class lever?
5. What controls direction on a ship?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)