|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Harnassing the Elements, Introduction, Floating, Flying and Pressure Power, pp.91-141.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when you exert your strength across a longer distance?
(a) Your effort is reduced, but your strength has to be increased.
(b) Your effort is reduced, and your lesser strength becomes sufficient.
(c) Nothing happens. It is all balanced by the decreased work required.
(d) Your effort is reduced so you can take advantage of your greater strength.
2. What does one have to understand in order to understand the way things work?
(a) The underlying principle.
(b) The function of something.
(c) The terms of physics.
(d) The reason something is made.
3. What are different level marks for different types of water on the side of a ship called?
(a) Anchor marks.
(b) Flow marks.
(c) Horizon marks.
(d) Plimsoll lines.
4. What are tanks that take in water to increase the density of the craft?
5. What are large fins which adjust their tilt to compensate for waves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mechanics of Movement explore?
2. What are two things a sail can do for a craft?
3. What is the most common form of inclined plane found in machines?
4. What do you have to use in order to accomplish work with half the effort?
5. What is the principle behind the action of any machine?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)