|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Harnassing the Elements, Introduction, Floating, Flying and Pressure Power, pp.91-141.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principle is in use as a propeller pushes the water back and as that same water which has been pushed back rolls forward again and hits the propeller?
(a) The Principle of Push and Thrust.
(b) The Principle of Force and Inertia.
(c) The Principle of Gravity.
(d) The Principle of Action and Reaction.
2. What urges do molecules possess?
(a) The urge to huddle together or spread apart.
(c) Only the urge to huddle together.
(d) Only the urge to spread apart.
3. What happens when molecules are squeezed or stretched beyond the boundaries of their comfortable balance?
(a) The molecules are driven to return to that balance.
(b) The molecules are driven to remain unbalanced.
(c) The molecules dissipate into individual atoms that can be lost or destroyed.
(d) They remain in an uneasy balance.
4. What are two things a sail can do for a craft?
(a) Propel and repel.
(b) Give pulpulsion and direction.
(c) Lift and Slow.
(d) Propel and stop.
5. What does the inclined plane do?
(a) Extends the distance to a rise.
(b) Increases effort.
(c) Decreases effort.
(d) Decreases gravitational force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes sideways movements of a ship?
2. What happens when you exert your strength across a longer distance?
3. Upon how many major principles do propellers and rudders work?
4. How does a wedge move an object up an inclined plane?
5. What is the main idea in Part 2 of the book?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)