|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Harnassing the Elements, Introduction, Floating, Flying and Pressure Power, pp.91-141.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an object's weight divided by its volume?
(a) An object's density.
(b) An object's elemental number.
(c) The object's constant mass.
(d) The object's ability to exert force.
2. What is one example the author uses of a wedge?
(a) A block and tackle system.
(b) A type of door stop.
(c) A ship's ramp.
(d) An escalator.
3. What is an example of a second-class lever?
(a) A crane.
(b) A clock.
(c) An engine block system.
(d) A nutcracker.
4. What is the factor which determines an object's ability to float?
5. How does a wedge move an object up an inclined plane?
(a) It doesn't ; the wedge moves the plane itself to raise an object.
(b) It lowers the plane so the object slides.
(c) It forces the object to reduce the effects of gravity.
(d) It uses the effect of gravity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a first-class lever?
2. What do you have to use in order to accomplish work with half the effort?
3. Upon what principle does a pulley work?
4. What is the principle behind the action of any machine?
5. What are large fins which adjust their tilt to compensate for waves?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)