|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the judge assigned to Edward Clary's case in the Federal District of Missouri?
2. The author asserts in Chapter 3: "The Color of Justice" that in the federal system, homicide offenders account for 0.4% of the past decade's growth in the federal prison population while drug offenders account for what percent of that expansion?
3. The author asserts in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow," "All racial caste systems, not just mass incarceration, have been supported by" what?
4. One in how many black men between the ages of 20-35 was behind bars in 2006?
5. The author asserts in The New Jim Crow that no one has more power in the criminal justice system than whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author discuss Barack Obama's speech at the Apostolic Church of God in Chicago in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
2. When was crack-cocaine introduced to users in the U.S.? What involvement did the government have with the introduction of crack to African American communities?
3. How does the author describe white victims of racial caste in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
4. What does the author mean when she refers to "second-class citizens" in the book?
5. How does the author describe the crime statistics of Chicago in regard to race in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
6. What are the financial debts that a former criminal may face? How much of their wages can be garnished to cover these expenses?
7. What are the historical parallels between Jim Crow and mass incarceration that the author explores in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
8. What was enacted with the Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act of 1998?
9. What is discussed regarding Stanley Cohen's States of Denial in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
10. What were the repercussions of Emma Faye Stewart's decision to take a plea deal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the federal government assisted local law enforcement in the pursuit of the War on Drugs? What are examples of assets granted to local law enforcement? What incentives do local law enforcement have for fighting the War on Drugs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of African slavery in the United States. When did slavery emerge? When did the Transatlantic Slave Trade end? When was slavery abolished and what forms of oppression followed it?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Brown v. Board of Education a significant Supreme Court ruling? How did this case change society between African Americans and whites in the South? How did it impact life in the North?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)