|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Batson v. Kentucky decided?
2. The author cites Marilyn Frye as having made a metaphor for the systemic racism toward African Americans. What metaphor is used?
3. What organization did Dorsey Nunn co-found?
4. Who coined the term "invisible punishment" to describe the plight faced by former inmates trapped in the criminal justice system?
5. Who is cited in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand" as having said, "In this brave new world, punishment for the original offense is no longer enough; one's debt to society is never paid"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the circumstances of Emma Faye Stewart's arrest in Chapter 3: "The Color of Justice"?
2. How does the author assert drug-law enforcement is different than other types of law enforcement in Chapter 3: "The Color of Justice"?
3. How does the author describe white victims of racial caste in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
4. Why does the author discuss Barack Obama's speech at the Apostolic Church of God in Chicago in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
5. What does the author mean when she refers to "second-class citizens" in the book?
6. When was crack-cocaine introduced to users in the U.S.? What involvement did the government have with the introduction of crack to African American communities?
7. How did the media and propaganda contribute to the stereotype of the poor African American drug user?
8. What is noted about Frederick Douglass's speech at the National Colored Convention in 1853 in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand"?
9. How does the author compare the incarceration rates of blacks and whites in the U.S. for drug offenses versus the statistics of use among blacks and whites in the country?
10. What are the historical parallels between Jim Crow and mass incarceration that the author explores in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the mandatory sentences for crack cocaine possession? What sentences are mandatory for powder cocaine possession? Why is there a disparity? How does this disparity impact the African American community?
Essay Topic 2
How has the federal government assisted local law enforcement in the pursuit of the War on Drugs? What are examples of assets granted to local law enforcement? What incentives do local law enforcement have for fighting the War on Drugs?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Brown v. Board of Education a significant Supreme Court ruling? How did this case change society between African Americans and whites in the South? How did it impact life in the North?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)