|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the dominant means of securing cheap labor in the early colonial period in America, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
2. Approximately how many people have been arrested for drug offenses since the drug war began, according to the author in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
3. Approximately how many people were in prison or jail for a drug offense in 1980?
4. When did Congress, at the behest of Ronald Reagan, revise the program that provides federal aid to law enforcement, renaming it the Edward Byrne Memorial State and Local Law Enforcement Assistance Program?
5. Why is Jarvious Cotton unable to vote, according to the author in the Introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution declare?
2. What did the Supreme Court case of Florida v. Bostick establish?
3. How are the circumstances of Robert Robinette's arrest described in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
4. What is Federalism and what role has it played in racial oppression, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
5. What does a "consent search" refer to?
6. How do incarceration rates in the U.S. compare with those in other countries across the globe?
7. What is the Ku Klux Klan? What did the Ku Klux Klan acts dictate?
8. How has the U.S. penal population changed from 1980 to today?
9. What obstacle does the Barack Obama presidency present for civil rights advocates, according to the author in the Introduction?
10. What percentages do drug offenses account for in the rise of the federal inmate population and state prisoners, according to the author in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the mandatory sentences for crack cocaine possession? What sentences are mandatory for powder cocaine possession? Why is there a disparity? How does this disparity impact the African American community?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the stigmas and stereotypes regarding former inmates in the U.S. How are these stereotypes and stigmas propagated? What are the impacts of these stereotypes and stigmas for the families of former convicts?
Essay Topic 3
What are the repercussions a defendant may face for taking a plea deal instead of facing mandatory sentences for drug offenses? What are some of the examples of costs that a defendant may face after trial? How can these costs oppress a former inmate?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)