|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Operation Pipeline launched?
2. When did Bacon's Rebellion take place?
3. Why is Jarvious Cotton unable to vote, according to the author in the Introduction?
4. What Constitutional Amendment prohibits states from denying citizens due process and "equal protection of the law"?
5. Who described The Strange Career of Jim Crow as the "historical bible of the Civil Rights Movement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use Jarvious Cotton as an example in the Introduction to The New Jim Crow?
2. How did the concept of "race" emerge in America, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
3. How do incarceration rates in the U.S. compare with those in other countries across the globe?
4. How does the author define "caste"? What is meant by "racial caste"?
5. What was dedided in the case of California v. Acevedo?
6. What were the "black codes" and what impact did they have?
7. What percentages do drug offenses account for in the rise of the federal inmate population and state prisoners, according to the author in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
8. How has the U.S. penal population changed from 1980 to today?
9. When did Terry v. Ohio go to the Supreme Court? What was the ruling?
10. What are "pretext stops"? How are they employed in the War on Drugs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Reconstruction Era Amendments to the U.S. Constitution. What did each of these amendments dictate? When were they enacted? What is their importance today?
Essay Topic 2
How did the wealthy planter class manage to create a divide between poor white workers and poor black workers in the American colonies? Why did they do so? How did they benefit from this estrangement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of African slavery in the United States. When did slavery emerge? When did the Transatlantic Slave Trade end? When was slavery abolished and what forms of oppression followed it?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)