|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface and Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her Introduction, the author writes, "The impact of the drug war has been astounding. In less than 30 years, the U.S penal population exploded from around 300,000 to" how many?
(a) "Almost 1 million."
(b) "More than 3 million."
(c) "Nearly 1.5 million."
(d) "More than 2 million."
2. According to the author in the Introduction, how many people are in prison in the United States per 100,000?
3. In the Urban League's 1990 report, "The State of Black America," it stated, "There is at least one concept that must be recognized if one is to see the pervasive and insidious nature of the drug problem for the African American community. Though difficult to accept, that is the concept of" what?
4. What question does the author say the book explores in Chapter 1?
(a) "Why are we here?"
(b) "Where do we go next?"
(c) "How did we get here?"
(d) "How do we face and address the past?"
5. What group of people is the focus of The New Jim Crow, according to the author in her Introduction?
(a) Latinos and other immigrants.
(b) White American men.
(c) African American men.
(d) African American women.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the major conference held called "Why We Can't Wait: Reversing the Retreat on Civil Rights"?
2. What does "caste" refer to?
3. Where did crack cocaine first emerge in poor black neighborhoods in the United States before spreading elsewhere?
4. What are the three major racialized systems of control adopted by the United States toward African Americans, according to the author in the Introduction?
5. How did Jarvious Cotton's great-grandfather die?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)