|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface and Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlaw?
(a) Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
(b) Segregation in public schools and buildings.
(c) Slavery in the Southern United States.
(d) Discrimination against African Americans in relation to voting rights.
2. When was the major conference held called "Why We Can't Wait: Reversing the Retreat on Civil Rights"?
(a) July, 2001.
(b) June, 2004.
(c) March, 2008.
(d) October, 2007.
3. What question does the author say the book explores in Chapter 1?
(a) "Where do we go next?"
(b) "Why are we here?"
(c) "How do we face and address the past?"
(d) "How did we get here?"
4. According to the author in the Introduction, how many people are in prison in the United States per 100,000?
5. What does "caste" refer to?
(a) A system of dividing society into educational classes.
(b) A system of dividing society into economic classes.
(c) A system of dividing society into hereditary classes.
(d) A system of dividing society into racial classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the National Advisory Commission on Criminal Justice Standards and Goals release a recommendation that "no new institutions for adults should be build and existing institutions for juveniles should be closed"?
2. When did the CIA admit that guerilla armies it actively supported in Nicaragua were smuggling crack cocaine into the United States?
3. Why is Jarvious Cotton unable to vote, according to the author in the Introduction?
4. In the Urban League's 1990 report, "The State of Black America," it stated, "There is at least one concept that must be recognized if one is to see the pervasive and insidious nature of the drug problem for the African American community. Though difficult to accept, that is the concept of" what?
5. How did Jarvious Cotton's great-grandfather die?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)