|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface and Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people is the focus of The New Jim Crow, according to the author in her Introduction?
(a) White American men.
(b) African American men.
(c) African American women.
(d) Latinos and other immigrants.
2. What question does the author say the book explores in Chapter 1?
(a) "Where do we go next?"
(b) "Why are we here?"
(c) "How did we get here?"
(d) "How do we face and address the past?"
3. In her Introduction, the author writes, "The impact of the drug war has been astounding. In less than 30 years, the U.S penal population exploded from around 300,000 to" how many?
(a) "Nearly 1.5 million."
(b) "Almost 1 million."
(c) "More than 2 million."
(d) "More than 3 million."
4. In the Introduction, the author attests that how many people in Germany are in prison for every 100,000 adults and children?
5. During the time she worked at the ACLU, Michelle Alexander's focus shifted from employment discrimination to what focus?
(a) Tax reform.
(b) Affirmative action.
(c) Education reform.
(d) Criminal justice reform.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author describe printed on a bright orange poster that opened her mind to the themes of the book in the Introduction?
2. How did Jarvious Cotton's great-grandfather die?
3. What are the three major racialized systems of control adopted by the United States toward African Americans, according to the author in the Introduction?
4. What did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlaw?
5. Why is Jarvious Cotton unable to vote, according to the author in the Introduction?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)