|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dr. Mzu had contacted Joshua a year earlier in regard to a possible charter flight, where did Dr. Mzu request to go?
2. When Joshua listens to the recording from Valisk, he is shocked to learn that ____________is possessed and luring naïve kids to their doom.
3. When Monica and Samuel try to apprehend Mzu at the Laxa and Ahmed offices, how many Edenist agents close in on the conference room?
4. To whom does Joshua sell Lady Mac's sensor recordings?
5. When Syrinx awakens from her therapy session, whose face is the first one she sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the multiplicity made up of?
2. Why was the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service originally created?
3. According to Jezzibella, what is the difference between a rifle and a machine gun?
4. According to Dariat, how could Dariat conceivably destroy Rubra?
5. What did the report from Darcy and Lori received by Gilmore indicate that Gilmore is currently researching?
6. According to the person waiting for Syrinx at the bungalow in Eden, what is the purpose of life?
7. When the Admiral meets with the doctor at the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service's isolation facility, what is Capone doing according to the Edenists that are monitoring the events on New California?
8. When the Far Realm is readying itself to dock on Mars, what has Fletcher Christian finally been able to accomplish with several days of intense practice?
9. According to Kiera, what is an indication of Dariat's true instability?
10. When Genevieve sees the planet that contains the Lowell Sea, how does she describe the planet's difference from Norfolk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might Hamilton have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
Essay Topic 2
While Louise Kavanaugh waits for her father to return from Boston, she is pregnant with Joshua Calvert's child. When her father returns from Boston and allows possessed to overtake their estate, Louise and her sister first flee their estate, and then flee Norfolk. Describe the situation that Louise finds herself in, as well as how being pregnant with Joshua's child affects her relationships and her worldview. What does Louise learn from her struggles with the possessed that help her deal with her pregnancy?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Louise Kavanaugh changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Louise's character when she is first introduced in the story, when she flees from her family's estate, when she travels through space with Fletcher, and when she wants to pursue Quinn's ship.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)