|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to grow the Valisk population by five million people, for how long would Kiera have to impose permanent pregnancy for every female?
2. Who replaces Ross Nash as Kiera's deputy?
3. How does the admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service characterize the Confederation's only notable public success against the possessed incursions?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 9, who is ushered into Capone's hotel suite at gunpoint?
5. When the ship that has dropped out of the communications net flies away, what does Louise say the ship is carrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dariat, what is Rubra's main priority?
2. What did the report from Darcy and Lori received by Gilmore indicate that Gilmore is currently researching?
3. According to Dariat, how could Dariat conceivably destroy Rubra?
4. While talking to Genevieve while the Far Realm is waiting to dock on Mars, to what does Louise compare the experience of being possessed?
5. According to the person waiting for Syrinx as she approaches the bungalow in the glade on Eden, why is Syrinx at the bungalow?
6. According to Jezzibella, what is the difference between a rifle and a machine gun?
7. When Genevieve sees the planet that contains the Lowell Sea, how does she describe the planet's difference from Norfolk?
8. When the Far Realm is readying itself to dock on Mars, what has Fletcher Christian finally been able to accomplish with several days of intense practice?
9. According to what Syrinx remembers Aulie telling her, what does separation generate?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 9, why does Nicolai want to meet with Capone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Al Capone seems to be a man who was supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How was Capone helped by his utter confidence? How was Capone hurt by his confidence?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, Joshua Calvert is involved with two quite different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Joshua has with Louise to the relationship Joshua has with Ione. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these two relationships influence not only Joshua, but also the other people in the story?
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that Kelly Tirrel is greatly affected by her meeting with Shaun Wallace. Discuss how Kelly's interactions with Shaun affect Kelly's worldview. How do Kelly's experiences affect her mental state, her ability to trust, and her willingness to help Joshua?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)