|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mickey's report, how many asteroids did the Organization break with their first action?
2. Whom does Madeline tell Andre that she saw in a bar on the second resistance level?
3. When Syrinx and Wing-Tsit talk for the eighth time, what does Wing-Tsit tell Syrinx that she is?
4. According to Dariat, what do the souls possessing the hellhawks ultimately want?
5. According to the conversation that takes place at the bungalow in Eden, what is the Buddhist act of giving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Al Capone's only requirement for the non-possessed men who will be crewing Capone's new ships?
2. Why was the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service originally created?
3. According to Jezzibella, what is the difference between a rifle and a machine gun?
4. According to Kiera, what is an indication of Dariat's true instability?
5. What does each bungalow on Eden have?
6. According to what Syrinx remembers Aulie telling her, what does separation generate?
7. According to what Wing-Tsit tells Syrinx during their eighth meeting, what does Wing-Tsit want Syrinx to do moving forward?
8. While talking to Genevieve while the Far Realm is waiting to dock on Mars, to what does Louise compare the experience of being possessed?
9. Why does Endron suggest that Louise, Genevieve, and Fletcher register at the new destination as refugees?
10. When the Admiral meets with the doctor at the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service's isolation facility, what is Capone doing according to the Edenists that are monitoring the events on New California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the Alchemist weapon. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, Joshua Calvert is involved with two quite different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Joshua has with Louise to the relationship Joshua has with Ione. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these two relationships influence not only Joshua, but also the other people in the story?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)