|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the conversation that takes place at the bungalow in Eden, what is the giver in the Buddhist act of giving called?
2. When the passenger aboard the Samaku asks to speak with Ayacucho's traffic control office about being denied access to dock, by what name is the Samaku's passenger going by?
3. How many Dorados are there?
4. When Loren breaks Gerald out of the medical facility, how far ahead of the marines is she?
5. When Madeline shares with Andre whom she saw in a bar on the second resistance level, what ship does Andre confirm has docked at the spaceport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Al Capone's only requirement for the non-possessed men who will be crewing Capone's new ships?
2. What did the report from Darcy and Lori received by Gilmore indicate that Gilmore is currently researching?
3. According to what Wing-Tsit tells Syrinx during their eighth meeting, what has the Oenone never done?
4. Why does Endron suggest that Louise, Genevieve, and Fletcher register at the new destination as refugees?
5. When the Far Realm is readying itself to dock on Mars, what has Fletcher Christian finally been able to accomplish with several days of intense practice?
6. When the Admiral meets with the doctor at the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service's isolation facility, what is Capone doing according to the Edenists that are monitoring the events on New California?
7. According to Dariat, what is Rubra's main priority?
8. According to Dariat, how could Dariat conceivably destroy Rubra?
9. While talking to Genevieve while the Far Realm is waiting to dock on Mars, to what does Louise compare the experience of being possessed?
10. According to what Wing-Tsit tells Syrinx during their eighth meeting, what does Wing-Tsit want Syrinx to do moving forward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the Alchemist weapon. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Hamilton uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story?
Essay Topic 3
Al Capone seems to be a man who was supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How was Capone helped by his utter confidence? How was Capone hurt by his confidence?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)