|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dariat, what do the souls possessing the hellhawks ultimately want?
2. What does the person who is ushered into Capone's hotel suite at gunpoint want to discuss with Capone?
3. Who is the admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service?
4. As a result of the civil and commercial starflight quarantine, who is facing having to lay off staff in all seventeen of his company's foundry stations?
5. How does Capone propose keeping the non-possessed who will be working for him in line?
Short Essay Questions
1. While talking to Genevieve while the Far Realm is waiting to dock on Mars, to what does Louise compare the experience of being possessed?
2. Why does Endron suggest that Louise, Genevieve, and Fletcher register at the new destination as refugees?
3. What did the report from Darcy and Lori received by Gilmore indicate that Gilmore is currently researching?
4. Why does Kiera Salter consider Dariat to be a dangerous liability?
5. When Syrinx emerges from the jumbled trees into a glade with a lake, how is the bungalow she sees different from the other bungalows in Eden?
6. According to what Wing-Tsit tells Syrinx during their eighth meeting, what has the Oenone never done?
7. According to Dariat, how could Dariat conceivably destroy Rubra?
8. When the Far Realm is readying itself to dock on Mars, what has Fletcher Christian finally been able to accomplish with several days of intense practice?
9. When the Admiral meets with the doctor at the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service's isolation facility, what has been the Confederation's only notable public success?
10. When the Admiral meets with the doctor at the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service's isolation facility, what is Capone doing according to the Edenists that are monitoring the events on New California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Fletcher Christian and Joshua Calvert. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
Compare the role that Louise plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by Louise, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Al Capone's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and, to a lesser degree, Jezzibella. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Al Capone, Jezzibella, Genevieve Kavanaugh, and Joshua Calvert.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)