|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Madeline tell Andre that she saw in a bar on the second resistance level?
2. Where does Voi first meet Dr. Mzu?
3. According to Wing-Tsit, what is the great unknown?
4. What does the person who is ushered into Capone's hotel suite at gunpoint want to discuss with Capone?
5. When the passenger aboard the Samaku asks to speak with Ayacucho's traffic control office about being denied access to dock, by what name is the Samaku's passenger going by?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Kiera, what is an indication of Dariat's true instability?
2. According to what Syrinx remembers Aulie telling her, what does separation generate?
3. Why does Jezzibella tell Al that he needs to employ non-possessed people?
4. Why does Kiera Salter consider Dariat to be a dangerous liability?
5. When Syrinx emerges from the jumbled trees into a glade with a lake, how is the bungalow she sees different from the other bungalows in Eden?
6. According to Jezzibella, what is the difference between a rifle and a machine gun?
7. When Genevieve sees the planet that contains the Lowell Sea, how does she describe the planet's difference from Norfolk?
8. How does Syrinx answer when the person waiting for her at the bungalow in Eden asks Syrnix about the past?
9. According to the Admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service, what is the Confederation's main concern as the Confederation tries to deal with the possessed incursions?
10. What does each bungalow on Eden have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, Joshua Calvert is involved with two quite different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Joshua has with Louise to the relationship Joshua has with Ione. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these two relationships influence not only Joshua, but also the other people in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Fletcher Christian and Joshua Calvert. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
Compare the role that Louise plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by Louise, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Hamilton uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)