|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service, which is the only planetary system to completely succumb to the possessed?
2. What does the person who is ushered into Capone's hotel suite at gunpoint want to discuss with Capone?
3. What starship does Loren want to get Gerald aboard because it's one of the few starships still flying?
4. According to the admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service, how many planets are suffering from large scale incursions of possessed?
5. Who is the head of the pediatric department at the Prince Michael Memorial Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kiera Salter consider Dariat to be a dangerous liability?
2. According to the Admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service, what is the Confederation's main concern as the Confederation tries to deal with the possessed incursions?
3. According to Jezzibella, what is the difference between a rifle and a machine gun?
4. According to Dariat, how could Dariat conceivably destroy Rubra?
5. What did the report from Darcy and Lori received by Gilmore indicate that Gilmore is currently researching?
6. Why does Jezzibella tell Al that he needs to employ non-possessed people?
7. According to what Syrinx remembers Aulie telling her, what does separation generate?
8. While talking to Genevieve while the Far Realm is waiting to dock on Mars, to what does Louise compare the experience of being possessed?
9. When the Admiral meets with the doctor at the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service's isolation facility, what is Capone doing according to the Edenists that are monitoring the events on New California?
10. According to what Wing-Tsit tells Syrinx during their eighth meeting, what has the Oenone never done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Al Capone's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and, to a lesser degree, Jezzibella. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Al Capone, Jezzibella, Genevieve Kavanaugh, and Joshua Calvert.
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have or should have been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)