|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Syrinx and Wing-Tsit talk for the eighth time, what does Wing-Tsit tell Syrinx that she is?
2. As the Kavanaugh girls are waiting to land on Mars, what does Genevieve mention for the first time since they left Norfolk?
3. When the reporter in the editing suite starts getting snippy with the senior news editor, the editor threatens to replace the reporter with _________________.
4. To whom does Joshua sell Lady Mac's sensor recordings?
5. When Monica and Samuel try to apprehend Mzu at the Laxa and Ahmed offices, how many Edenist agents close in on the conference room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the multiplicity made up of?
2. According to the person waiting for Syrinx as she approaches the bungalow in the glade on Eden, why is Syrinx at the bungalow?
3. According to Jezzibella, what is the difference between a rifle and a machine gun?
4. As Chapter 11 opens, what is Aulie doing that Syrinx thinks is incredibly boring?
5. When Syrinx emerges from the jumbled trees into a glade with a lake, how is the bungalow she sees different from the other bungalows in Eden?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 9, why does Nicolai want to meet with Capone?
7. According to the person waiting for Syrinx at the bungalow in Eden, what is the purpose of life?
8. According to Dariat, what is Rubra's main priority?
9. According to the Admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service, who has been taking the worst casualty losses when the possessed attempt to take them over?
10. Why was the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service originally created?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, Joshua Calvert is involved with two quite different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Joshua has with Louise to the relationship Joshua has with Ione. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these two relationships influence not only Joshua, but also the other people in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Al Capone's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and, to a lesser degree, Jezzibella. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Al Capone, Jezzibella, Genevieve Kavanaugh, and Joshua Calvert.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Louise Kavanaugh changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Louise's character when she is first introduced in the story, when she flees from her family's estate, when she travels through space with Fletcher, and when she wants to pursue Quinn's ship.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)