|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mickey's report, how many asteroids did the Organization break with their first action?
2. When Monica and Samuel try to apprehend Mzu at the Laxa and Ahmed offices, how many Edenist agents close in on the conference room?
3. Who is the person waiting for Syrinx as she approaches the bungalow in the glade on Eden?
4. According to Louise, where does she believe Quinn Dexter is heading to when the ship that drops out of the communications net flies away?
5. Whom does Madeline tell Andre that she saw in a bar on the second resistance level?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Syrinx answer when the person waiting for her at the bungalow in Eden asks Syrnix about the past?
2. As Chapter 11 opens, what is Aulie doing that Syrinx thinks is incredibly boring?
3. When Genevieve sees the planet that contains the Lowell Sea, how does she describe the planet's difference from Norfolk?
4. According to Jezzibella, what is the difference between a rifle and a machine gun?
5. According to Kiera, what is an indication of Dariat's true instability?
6. According to what Wing-Tsit tells Syrinx during their eighth meeting, what has the Oenone never done?
7. When the Far Realm is readying itself to dock on Mars, what has Fletcher Christian finally been able to accomplish with several days of intense practice?
8. While talking to Genevieve while the Far Realm is waiting to dock on Mars, to what does Louise compare the experience of being possessed?
9. According to the Admiral in charge of the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service, what is the Confederation's main concern as the Confederation tries to deal with the possessed incursions?
10. When the Admiral meets with the doctor at the Confederation Navy Intelligence Service's isolation facility, what is Capone doing according to the Edenists that are monitoring the events on New California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might Hamilton have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have or should have been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Al Capone's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and, to a lesser degree, Jezzibella. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Al Capone, Jezzibella, Genevieve Kavanaugh, and Joshua Calvert.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)