|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Louise describe the man who rescues the Kavanaugh girls outside the farmhouse?
2. How many people are traveling aboard the overloaded space plane as it ascends through Lalonde's atmosphere?
3. Who is at the controls of the overloaded space plane that has problems as it ascends through Lalonde's atmosphere?
4. In order to let the others escape at the aerodome, which of the group members rides into the woods to create a diversion?
5. When Laton's starship briefly docked on Valisk, how many crew members came through immigration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kesteven?
2. Describe how Al Capone is supposed to call for a cab in his new city.
3. When Al and Jezzibella walk into the operations center on Monterey, what is showing on the wall mounted holographic screens?
4. Why does Jezzibella's manager select an early morning departure for Jezzibella's tour convoy out of San Angeles?
5. What does the ESA head of station learn when he receives a datavised alert from the director of the Ombey's ESA office?
6. Why can Al Capone not datavise anyone?
7. In Chapter 5, why is the wormhole survivor so relieved to be out of the wormhole?
8. According to Louise's father, why is Quinn staying at the Kavanaugh manor?
9. When Jezzibella offers to go along with Al, Al tells her she can accompany him if she does what she is told. How does Jezzibella respond?
10. What does Avram Harwood's staff deal with in running the operations center for Capone's Organization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the Alchemist weapon. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Louise Kavanaugh changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Louise's character when she is first introduced in the story, when she flees from her family's estate, when she travels through space with Fletcher, and when she wants to pursue Quinn's ship.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)