|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to let the others escape at the aerodome, which of the group members rides into the woods to create a diversion?
2. What is the name of the Romany women the Kavanaugh girls meet outside the farmhouse on their way into town?
3. As the story opens, how long has it been since Louise has heard from her father?
4. When Capone is on Monterey, how many non-possessed are still in areas controlled by the Organization?
5. As Louise and Genevieve tour the panicked city, where does Louise tell her sister and escort that she wants to travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the ESA head of station prepares to go down to the Pasto city spaceport, what does the head of station request from the director?
2. When Al and Jezzibella walk into the operations center on Monterey, what is showing on the wall mounted holographic screens?
3. How does the person who emerges from the wormhole respond when asked what she had done to get the Kingdom so angry with her?
4. According to the space plane's pilot, why will the reaction engines need to be replaced when the space plane reaches port?
5. According to Louise Kavanaugh's musings, what has destiny apparently chosen Louise to do?
6. What is Kesteven?
7. In Chapter 5, why is the wormhole survivor so relieved to be out of the wormhole?
8. Why does the person who emerges from the wormhole insist on one more small swallow maneuver?
9. According to Louise's father, why is Quinn staying at the Kavanaugh manor?
10. Name the two people responsible for overseeing Capone's law enforcers for the Organization.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive?
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place primarily in several different locations. Compare and contrast each of the following locations in the story - on New California, on Tranquility, and on Eden. Be sure to include how the characters are treated in each of these locations, as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of the three above locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in and why?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)