|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 5 begins, what emerges from the wormhole?
2. Which planet is the economic heart of Edenism?
3. Who is the fusion specialist aboard the ship that emerges from the wormhole in Chapter 5?
4. According to what he tells Louise on the plane, what is Titreano's real name?
5. Where had Oenone wanted to go after bringing the injured passenger on board?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ESA head of station learn when he receives a datavised alert from the director of the Ombey's ESA office?
2. According to the space plane's pilot, why will the reaction engines need to be replaced when the space plane reaches port?
3. When the Far Realm is readying itself to dock on Mars, what has Fletcher Christian finally been able to accomplish with several days of intense practice?
4. What does the girls' rescuer say that he can hear inside the body he is possessing?
5. According to Dariat, how could Dariat conceivably destroy Rubra?
6. How does Syrinx answer when the person waiting for her at the bungalow in Eden asks Syrnix about the past?
7. As Chapter 11 opens, what is Aulie doing that Syrinx thinks is incredibly boring?
8. As the story opens, what two things is Louise Kavanaugh waiting for?
9. When Jezzibella reaches the airport in San Angeles, why has her flight been rescheduled?
10. According to Al Capone, what has he returned to life as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several situations where a character's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where one of the characters is in danger. Describe the situation and how the character escapes from danger.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to harm your identified characters. What is the motivation in each of these situations to do harm?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might Hamilton have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
Essay Topic 3
Al Capone seems to be a man who was supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How was Capone helped by his utter confidence? How was Capone hurt by his confidence?
This section contains 1,733 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)