|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town that sits 250 kilometers below the neck of Mortonridge?
2. What is in the backpack of the person who emerges from the wormhole?
3. At what altitude is the overloaded space plane when it begins experiencing problems as it ascends through Lalonde's atmosphere?
4. When two people object to Al Capone's plan for turning more bodies over for possession, what appears in Al's hand?
5. Where are Carmitha's instincts telling her to go instead of going to Bytham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the person who emerges from the wormhole insist on one more small swallow maneuver?
2. Why can Al Capone not datavise anyone?
3. When the space plane's pilot learns that some of the space plane's passengers will have to remain aboard the space plane, what does the pilot request from Sarha Mitcham?
4. According to Capone, what is the main difference between Chicago and New California?
5. According to the neural expert's promise, what will always be there for Gerald Skibbow?
6. When the overloaded space plane is trying to leave Lalonde's atmosphere, where is the space plane headed?
7. What is Al Capone's only disappointment as he looks out the window of his hotel suite on Monterey?
8. In Chapter 5, why is the wormhole survivor so relieved to be out of the wormhole?
9. According to Louise Kavanaugh's musings, what has destiny apparently chosen Louise to do?
10. In Chapter 5, how does the person survive passage through the wormhole without being in a ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the groups of people trying to gain control of the Alchemist weapon. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)