|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person that emerges from the wormhole in Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of the Romany women the Kavanaugh girls meet outside the farmhouse on their way into town?
3. When Capone is on Monterey, how many non-possessed are still in areas controlled by the Organization?
4. As the story opens, how long has it been since Louise has heard from her father?
5. How many cars are in Jezzibella's tour convoy as they travel through San Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jezzibella offers to go along with Al, Al tells her she can accompany him if she does what she is told. How does Jezzibella respond?
2. What does the girls' rescuer say that he can hear inside the body he is possessing?
3. According to the stranger who rescues Al Capone off the street, what is the ultimate goal of the group that the stranger is taking Al to?
4. Why does Al Capone accuse the stranger who rescues him off the street of being a Communist?
5. In Chapter 5, why is the wormhole survivor so relieved to be out of the wormhole?
6. What is Al Capone's only disappointment as he looks out the window of his hotel suite on Monterey?
7. According to Louise's father, why is Quinn staying at the Kavanaugh manor?
8. In Chapter 5, how does the person survive passage through the wormhole without being in a ship?
9. According to Al Capone, what do the people of the future decidedly lack?
10. According to the space plane's pilot, why will the reaction engines need to be replaced when the space plane reaches port?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antimatter is a major component of the Alchemist. Not only is Dr. Mzu after antimatter, but so is Al Capone. Describe antimatter. What is it? How is it produced? What are its effects? How it is obtained? Why is Capone determined to control the supply of antimatter?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might Hamilton have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Al Capone, Quinn Dexter, Ralph Hiltch, and Fletcher Christian.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)