|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to rob a delicatessen in the Diocca starscraper?
2. Al Capone likens the voice of the body he possesses to ___________.
3. Who reluctantly agrees to fly the Kavanaugh party off of the planet?
4. After Rubra contacts the Kohistan Consensus, how many voidhawks emerge from a wormhole half a million kilometers away from Rubra?
5. The stranger, who rescues Al, is frightened of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When the space plane's pilot learns that some of the space plane's passengers will have to remain aboard the space plane, what does the pilot request from Sarha Mitcham?
2. What does Avram Harwood's staff deal with in running the operations center for Capone's Organization?
3. When Jezzibella offers to go along with Al, Al tells her she can accompany him if she does what she is told. How does Jezzibella respond?
4. What does the ESA head of station learn when he receives a datavised alert from the director of the Ombey's ESA office?
5. According to Louise Kavanaugh's musings, what has destiny apparently chosen Louise to do?
6. How does the person who emerges from the wormhole respond when asked what she had done to get the Kingdom so angry with her?
7. What is Al Capone's only disappointment as he looks out the window of his hotel suite on Monterey?
8. What was so unusual about the airport when Jezzibella's tour convoy arrives to leave San Angeles?
9. According to the space plane's pilot, why will the reaction engines need to be replaced when the space plane reaches port?
10. In Chapter 5, how does the person survive passage through the wormhole without being in a ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Louise Kavanaugh changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Louise's character when she is first introduced in the story, when she flees from her family's estate, when she travels through space with Fletcher, and when she wants to pursue Quinn's ship.
Essay Topic 3
While Louise Kavanaugh waits for her father to return from Boston, she is pregnant with Joshua Calvert's child. When her father returns from Boston and allows possessed to overtake their estate, Louise and her sister first flee their estate, and then flee Norfolk. Describe the situation that Louise finds herself in, as well as how being pregnant with Joshua's child affects her relationships and her worldview. What does Louise learn from her struggles with the possessed that help her deal with her pregnancy?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)