|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bar where the possessed are gathering?
2. What is the name of Louise Kavanaugh's sister?
3. What is the name of the Romany women the Kavanaugh girls meet outside the farmhouse on their way into town?
4. How long is the Blackhawk that emerges from the wormhole in Chapter 5?
5. Who is the fusion specialist aboard the ship that emerges from the wormhole in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Al Capone accuse the stranger who rescues him off the street of being a Communist?
2. As the story opens, what two things is Louise Kavanaugh waiting for?
3. Describe how Al Capone is supposed to call for a cab in his new city.
4. According to the space plane's pilot, why will the reaction engines need to be replaced when the space plane reaches port?
5. Why does the person who emerges from the wormhole insist on one more small swallow maneuver?
6. Why can Al Capone not datavise anyone?
7. What does Avram Harwood's staff deal with in running the operations center for Capone's Organization?
8. According to Al Capone, what do the people of the future decidedly lack?
9. What does the ESA head of station learn when he receives a datavised alert from the director of the Ombey's ESA office?
10. What does the girls' rescuer say that he can hear inside the body he is possessing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Louise Kavanaugh waits for her father to return from Boston, she is pregnant with Joshua Calvert's child. When her father returns from Boston and allows possessed to overtake their estate, Louise and her sister first flee their estate, and then flee Norfolk. Describe the situation that Louise finds herself in, as well as how being pregnant with Joshua's child affects her relationships and her worldview. What does Louise learn from her struggles with the possessed that help her deal with her pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Al Capone seems to be a man who was supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How was Capone helped by his utter confidence? How was Capone hurt by his confidence?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might Hamilton have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)