|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is David's father's grave marked?
2. What does Aunt Mae ask her friend, Flora, to do for her in "Chapter 6"?
3. Why does Aunt Mae leave for Nashville?
4. How old is David in "Chapter 10"?
5. Where is Mr. Farney from originally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
2. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
3. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
4. Where do David and Jo Lynne go on their first date?
5. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
6. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
7. In "Chapter 8," how do David's former classmates affect him?
8. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
9. What happens when the war ends in "Chapter 6"?
10. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use inner monologue to develop David's character? How is this effective or ineffective? Why? Define inner monologue and give examples of its use in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the author's personal history as it relates to "The Neon Bible." Toole was only 16 when he wrote this novel, how does that affect the text?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)