|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David dig a grave for his mother?
2. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
3. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
4. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
5. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
2. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
3. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
4. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
5. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
6. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
7. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
8. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
9. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
10. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)