|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
2. In "Chapter 10," when does David consider going to Nashville?
3. Why does Aunt Mae leave for Nashville?
4. In "Chapter 8," why does Clyde go to Nashville?
5. After the war, why are some men outcasts in David's town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
2. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
3. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
4. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
5. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
6. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
7. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
8. How does Aunt Mae help make David's graduation night special?
9. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
10. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)