|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jo Lynne treat David when she says goodbye before leaving town?
2. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
3. After digging his mother's grave, what does David instinctively know?
4. Where is David's father buried?
5. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
2. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
3. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
4. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
5. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
6. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
7. How does Aunt Mae help make David's graduation night special?
8. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
9. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
10. How does David feel when Jo Lynne comes to say goodbye to him in "Chapter 8"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between David and Aunt Mae. Use examples and quotes from the novel to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)