|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo Lynne do before leaving David for good?
2. Who wants to take David's mother to an institution?
3. What action does David take at the end of "Chapter 10"?
4. Where does Jo Lynne say goodbye to David before she leaves town?
5. Why does David run to the train room after shooting the preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Mae help make David's graduation night special?
2. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
3. How does David feel when Jo Lynne comes to say goodbye to him in "Chapter 8"?
4. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
5. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
6. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
7. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
8. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
9. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
10. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore isolation as a theme in this novel. Define theme in your discussion and give examples of how isolation changes the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)