|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David stay the night his mother dies?
2. How does Jo Lynne treat David when she says goodbye before leaving town?
3. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
4. What does Jo Lynne do before leaving David for good?
5. Why does the preacher come to see David in "Chapter 9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
2. How does David feel when Jo Lynne comes to say goodbye to him in "Chapter 8"?
3. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
4. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
5. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
6. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
7. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
8. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
9. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
10. How does David decide where to go in "Chapter 10"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)