|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assumption does David make about his future in "Chapter 10"?
2. How does Jo Lynne treat David when she says goodbye before leaving town?
3. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
4. After digging his mother's grave, what does David instinctively know?
5. In "Chapter 8," what does David's mother do when she sees David?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
2. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
3. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
4. What plans does David make for his future after leaving the hills?
5. How much time passes between "Chapter 9" and "Chapter 10"?
6. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
7. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
8. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
9. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
10. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use inner monologue to develop David's character? How is this effective or ineffective? Why? Define inner monologue and give examples of its use in the book.
Essay Topic 3
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)