|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While watching the movie with Jo Lynne in "Chapter 7," what does David say he has a hard time doing?
2. Where does David stay the night his mother dies?
3. Why does Aunt Mae lose her job at the factory?
4. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
5. When David starts crying in "Chapter 9," why does he think it is strange?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
2. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
3. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
4. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
5. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
6. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
7. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
8. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
9. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
10. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of historical references throughout the novel and quote the references. What makes these references important?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)