|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 7," what does David say is the worst part of his job at the drugstore?
2. Who does David consider writing to while on the train?
3. What does David decide to do about taking his mother to an institution in "Chapter 8"?
4. How does Aunt Mae travel to Nashville?
5. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
2. How does David feel when Jo Lynne comes to say goodbye to him in "Chapter 8"?
3. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
4. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
5. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
6. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
7. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
8. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
9. In "Chapter 8," how do David's former classmates affect him?
10. How does David decide where to go in "Chapter 10"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)