|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does David take at the end of "Chapter 10"?
2. When will David get off his train in "Chapter 10"?
3. Where is David's father buried?
4. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
5. What does David do at the end of "Chapter 9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Mae help make David's graduation night special?
2. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
3. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
4. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
5. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
6. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
7. Where do David and Jo Lynne go on their first date?
8. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
9. How does David decide where to go in "Chapter 10"?
10. In "Chapter 8," how do David's former classmates affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How is poverty a driving force in this novel? What message does the author send about poverty? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)