|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David starts crying in "Chapter 9," why does he think it is strange?
2. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
3. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
4. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
5. How does David feel at the end of "Chapter 6"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
2. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
3. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
4. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
5. What plans does David make for his future after leaving the hills?
6. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
7. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
8. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
9. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
10. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of family explored in this novel? Define theme in your discussion and use quotes or examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)