|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David feel at the end of "Chapter 6"?
2. In "Chapter 8," where does David spend most of his free time?
3. What first attracts David to Jo Lynne?
4. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
5. Where does David find the gun he grabs in "Chapter 9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
2. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
3. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
4. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
5. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
6. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
7. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
8. How does David decide where to go in "Chapter 10"?
9. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
10. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)