|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
2. In "Chapter 9," what does David say he must do before he can find relief?
3. In "Chapter 10," how does David describe the distance he traveled?
4. Where do David and Jo Lynne end up going after the movie in "Chapter 7"?
5. While watching the movie with Jo Lynne in "Chapter 7," what does David say he has a hard time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
2. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
3. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
4. How does David feel when Jo Lynne comes to say goodbye to him in "Chapter 8"?
5. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
6. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
7. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
8. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
9. Where do David and Jo Lynne go on their first date?
10. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's use of historical references throughout the novel and quote the references. What makes these references important?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)