|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flora tell Aunt Mae about David's mother in "Chapter 6"?
2. How does Jo Lynne treat David when she says goodbye before leaving town?
3. In "Chapter 6," what picture does David's mother stare at often?
4. After David's graduation, what does he find his mother doing?
5. What does David decide to do about taking his mother to an institution in "Chapter 8"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
2. How does David feel when Jo Lynne comes to say goodbye to him in "Chapter 8"?
3. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
4. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
5. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
6. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
7. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
8. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
9. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
10. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between David and Aunt Mae. Use examples and quotes from the novel to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)