|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David finds his mother in "Chapter 9," where is blood coming from?
2. What action does David take at the end of "Chapter 10"?
3. Where does David take her mother to try to stop the bleeding in "Chapter 9"?
4. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
5. What does David say the women who come into the drugstore do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
2. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
3. What plans does David make for his future after leaving the hills?
4. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
5. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
6. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
7. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
8. What happens when the war ends in "Chapter 6"?
9. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
10. In "Chapter 8," how do David's former classmates affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 3
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)