|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
2. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
3. How does Aunt Mae travel to Nashville?
4. When David starts crying in "Chapter 9," why does he think it is strange?
5. What does David say about the sky while riding on the train in "Chapter 10"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 8," how do David's former classmates affect him?
2. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
3. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
4. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
5. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
6. Why does David want to bury his mother by himself?
7. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
8. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
9. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
10. How does Aunt Mae help make David's graduation night special?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)