|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, why are some men outcasts in David's town?
2. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
3. How does Aunt Mae travel to Nashville?
4. What do David's former school mates with money do at their universities?
5. Why does David run to the train room after shooting the preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
2. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
3. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
4. How does Aunt Mae help make David's graduation night special?
5. How does David feel when Jo Lynne comes to say goodbye to him in "Chapter 8"?
6. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
7. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
8. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
9. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
10. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between David and Aunt Mae. Use examples and quotes from the novel to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Explore isolation as a theme in this novel. Define theme in your discussion and give examples of how isolation changes the characters.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)