|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Mae ask her friend, Flora, to do for her in "Chapter 6"?
2. What does David suggest to Jo Lynne when she first says she is leaving?
3. Why does Mr. Williams give David money in "Chapter 8"?
4. How does David feel when the preacher starts climbing the stairs in his house in "Chapter 9"?
5. Who wants to take David's mother to an institution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
2. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
3. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
4. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
5. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
6. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
7. What plans does David make for his future after leaving the hills?
8. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
9. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
10. How much time passes between "Chapter 9" and "Chapter 10"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of family explored in this novel? Define theme in your discussion and use quotes or examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)