|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David think of when he sees the graduation parties in "Chapter 6"?
2. How does David's mother's physical appearance change in "Chapter 8"?
3. What does Aunt Mae ask her friend, Flora, to do for her in "Chapter 6"?
4. Where does David take her mother to try to stop the bleeding in "Chapter 9"?
5. How does David dig his mother's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
2. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
3. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
4. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
5. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
6. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
7. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
8. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
9. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
10. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's use of historical references throughout the novel and quote the references. What makes these references important?
Essay Topic 3
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)