|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 10," why does David think about his toy train?
2. What does David do at the local drugstore?
3. What does David decide to do about taking his mother to an institution in "Chapter 8"?
4. What does David do at the end of "Chapter 9"?
5. How does David feel about the shooting while on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
2. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
3. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
4. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
5. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
6. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
7. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
8. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
9. How much time passes between "Chapter 9" and "Chapter 10"?
10. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use inner monologue to develop David's character? How is this effective or ineffective? Why? Define inner monologue and give examples of its use in the book.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)