|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does David take at the end of "Chapter 10"?
2. Who takes David's envelope of money on the train?
3. How does Jo Lynne treat David when she says goodbye before leaving town?
4. How does David feel at the end of "Chapter 6"?
5. Where does David shoot the preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
2. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
3. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
4. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
5. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
6. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
7. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
8. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
9. How does David meet Jo Lynne?
10. What plans does David make for his future after leaving the hills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)