|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is David's father drafted?
2. In "Chapter 1," what does David say lights up the night during his train ride?
3. In "Chapter 4," why are the mechanic shops closed?
4. Why does David say he didn't get the name of the last town his train passed in "Chapter 1"?
5. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
2. What happens when David's father is drafted?
3. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
4. How does David say his family reacted to George?
5. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
6. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
7. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
8. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
9. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
10. Why do David's mother and father argue in "Chapter 2"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of family explored in this novel? Define theme in your discussion and use quotes or examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)