Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
2. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
3. When does David's family go see Bobbie Lee Taylor speak?
4. What does Aunt Mae say when questioned about why she didn't go on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
5. Why does David say he likes the porch on his new house in "Chapter 2"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 8," how do David's former classmates affect him?
2. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
3. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
4. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
5. What plans does David make for his future after leaving the hills?
6. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
7. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
8. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
9. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
10. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between David and Aunt Mae. Use examples and quotes from the novel to support your analysis.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)