|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 2," how does David lose a tooth?
2. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
3. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor warn about men overseas in the war?
4. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
5. Why does Mrs. Watkins say David is a troublemaker?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
2. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
3. Why do David's mother and father argue in "Chapter 2"?
4. How does David say his family reacted to George?
5. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
6. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
7. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
8. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
9. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
10. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore isolation as a theme in this novel. Define theme in your discussion and give examples of how isolation changes the characters.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 3
What genre is "The Neon Bible"? How does it fit in this genre? How does it defy it? Define genres and give quotes from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)