|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," what leftovers does David find in his lunch?
2. How do they make a dance floor in the factory for the party?
3. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
4. What does the preacher schedule for the nights that the Evangelist revival is in town?
5. Why does Mrs. Watkins use her husband as a threat against her students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
2. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
3. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
4. What happens when David's father is drafted?
5. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
6. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
7. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
8. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
9. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
10. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 3
Explore isolation as a theme in this novel. Define theme in your discussion and give examples of how isolation changes the characters.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)