|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
2. What is David's response in "Chapter 2" after learning his father wants him to help with the crops?
3. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
4. Who does David tell about thinking Mrs. Watkins is cross-eyed?
5. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
2. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
3. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
4. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
5. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
6. How does David say his family reacted to George?
7. In "Chapter 3," what makes David's lunch special?
8. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
9. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
10. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use inner monologue to develop David's character? How is this effective or ineffective? Why? Define inner monologue and give examples of its use in the book.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)