|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David say he likes the porch on his new house in "Chapter 2"?
2. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
3. In "Chapter 5," what grade is David in?
4. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
5. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
2. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
3. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
4. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
5. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
6. In "Chapter 3," what makes David's lunch special?
7. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
8. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
9. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
10. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the hills as a setting in this novel. How does this setting affect the characters and the plot? Define setting in your analysis and give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)