|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds work at the propeller factory?
2. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
3. When is David's father drafted?
4. Why does Mrs. Watkins make David stand up in "Chapter 3"?
5. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
2. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
3. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
4. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
5. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
6. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
7. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
8. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
9. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
10. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)