|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
2. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
3. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
4. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
5. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
2. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
3. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
4. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
5. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
6. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
7. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
8. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
9. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
10. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore isolation as a theme in this novel. Define theme in your discussion and give examples of how isolation changes the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the hills as a setting in this novel. How does this setting affect the characters and the plot? Define setting in your analysis and give examples from the novel.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)