|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
2. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
3. What does David say happened to him when Bruce and his friends found him crying?
4. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
5. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
2. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
3. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
4. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
5. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
6. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
7. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
8. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
9. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
10. Why do David's mother and father argue in "Chapter 2"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between David and Aunt Mae. Use examples and quotes from the novel to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)