|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David say about his emotions when he first learns his father died?
2. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
3. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
4. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
5. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
2. What happens when David's father is drafted?
3. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
4. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
5. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
6. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
7. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
8. How does David say his family reacted to George?
9. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
10. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 2
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the hills as a setting in this novel. How does this setting affect the characters and the plot? Define setting in your analysis and give examples from the novel.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)