|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
2. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
3. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
4. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
5. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
2. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
3. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
4. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
5. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
6. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
7. In "Chapter 3," what makes David's lunch special?
8. What happens when David's father is drafted?
9. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
10. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Aunt Mae's role in David's romantic life. Does she help or hinder his relationship? Use the book to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)