|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
2. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
3. What does David say made Aunt Mae stand out in his small town?
4. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
5. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
2. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
3. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
4. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
5. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
6. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
7. How does David say his family reacted to George?
8. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
9. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
10. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)