|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
2. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
3. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
4. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
5. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
2. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
3. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
4. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
5. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
6. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
7. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
8. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
9. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
10. In "Chapter 3," what makes David's lunch special?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What genre is "The Neon Bible"? How does it fit in this genre? How does it defy it? Define genres and give quotes from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of family explored in this novel? Define theme in your discussion and use quotes or examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Aunt Mae's role in David's romantic life. Does she help or hinder his relationship? Use the book to support your analysis.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)