Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
2. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
3. When does David's family go see Bobbie Lee Taylor speak?
4. What does Aunt Mae say when questioned about why she didn't go on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
5. Why does David say he likes the porch on his new house in "Chapter 2"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 8," how do David's former classmates affect him?
2. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
3. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
4. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
5. What plans does David make for his future after leaving the hills?
6. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
7. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
8. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
9. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
10. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the hills as a setting in this novel. How does this setting affect the characters and the plot? Define setting in your analysis and give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What genre is "The Neon Bible"? How does it fit in this genre? How does it defy it? Define genres and give quotes from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)