|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
2. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
3. Why does Mrs. Watkins make David stand up in "Chapter 3"?
4. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
5. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
2. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
3. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
4. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
5. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
6. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
7. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
8. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
9. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
10. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is poverty a driving force in this novel? What message does the author send about poverty? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Aunt Mae's role in David's romantic life. Does she help or hinder his relationship? Use the book to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)