|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 4," what is Aunt Mae promoted to at work?
2. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
3. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
4. Why does Aunt Mae spend less time at home after the factory party?
5. Why does Mrs. Watkins say David is a troublemaker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
2. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
3. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
4. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
5. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
6. What happens when Jo Lynne comes to tell David she is leaving town?
7. What job does David obtain in "Chapter 7"?
8. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
9. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
10. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's use of historical references throughout the novel and quote the references. What makes these references important?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)