|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
2. When the Evangelist revival comes to town in "Chapter 4," how long has it been since the last revival?
3. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
4. In "Chapter 3," why does David stop on the way to school to write?
5. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
2. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
3. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
4. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
5. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
6. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
7. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
8. What happens when David's father is drafted?
9. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
10. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use inner monologue to develop David's character? How is this effective or ineffective? Why? Define inner monologue and give examples of its use in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of freedom in the novel. Define theme and use quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)