|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor warn about men overseas in the war?
2. Why does Mrs. Watkins make David stand up in "Chapter 3"?
3. What does Aunt Mae pack David's lunches in?
4. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
5. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
2. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
3. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
4. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
5. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
6. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
7. What happens when David's father is drafted?
8. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
9. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
10. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use inner monologue to develop David's character? How is this effective or ineffective? Why? Define inner monologue and give examples of its use in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explore isolation as a theme in this novel. Define theme in your discussion and give examples of how isolation changes the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the hills as a setting in this novel. How does this setting affect the characters and the plot? Define setting in your analysis and give examples from the novel.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)