|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
2. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
3. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
4. How does David's mother fall down the stairs in "Chapter 2"?
5. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
2. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
3. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
4. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
5. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
6. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
7. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
8. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
9. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
10. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore isolation as a theme in this novel. Define theme in your discussion and give examples of how isolation changes the characters.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use inner monologue to develop David's character? How is this effective or ineffective? Why? Define inner monologue and give examples of its use in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Aunt Mae's role in David's romantic life. Does she help or hinder his relationship? Use the book to support your analysis.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)