|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
2. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
3. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
4. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
5. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
2. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
3. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
4. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
5. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
6. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
7. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
8. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
9. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
10. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What genre is "The Neon Bible"? How does it fit in this genre? How does it defy it? Define genres and give quotes from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's use of historical references throughout the novel and quote the references. What makes these references important?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between David and Aunt Mae. Use examples and quotes from the novel to support your analysis.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)