|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
2. What was George charged with that sent him to prison?
3. In "Chapter 2," how does David lose a tooth?
4. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
5. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
2. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
3. What happens when David's father is drafted?
4. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
5. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
6. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
7. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
8. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
9. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
10. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism behind trains in "The Neon Bible." Define symbolism and give examples from the book to strengthen your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the hills as a setting in this novel. How does this setting affect the characters and the plot? Define setting in your analysis and give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of family explored in this novel? Define theme in your discussion and use quotes or examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)