|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
2. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
3. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
4. Why does David say it was difficult to play near his new house?
5. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
2. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
3. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
4. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
5. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
6. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
7. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
8. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
9. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
10. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
Essay Topic 1
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative tone affect the novel? Consider the author's straightforward delivery vs. the times he uses symbolic descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 3
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)