|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
2. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
3. What does David say made Aunt Mae stand out in his small town?
4. What does Mrs. Watkins threaten to do to David in "Chapter 3"?
5. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
2. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
3. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
4. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
5. Why do David's mother and father argue in "Chapter 2"?
6. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
7. What does David say happened to George and Mae's relationship?
8. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
9. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
10. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the author's personal history as it relates to "The Neon Bible." Toole was only 16 when he wrote this novel, how does that affect the text?
Essay Topic 3
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)