|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Evangelist revival comes to town in "Chapter 4," how long has it been since the last revival?
2. While David's father is at war, what does his mother do around the house?
3. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
4. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
5. What does David say made Aunt Mae stand out in his small town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David say his family reacted to George?
2. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
3. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
4. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
5. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
6. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
7. In "Chapter 3," what makes David's lunch special?
8. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
9. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
10. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's use of historical references throughout the novel and quote the references. What makes these references important?
Essay Topic 3
How is poverty a driving force in this novel? What message does the author send about poverty? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)