|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
2. In "Chapter 3," what does Aunt Mae make for breakfast?
3. What does the preacher schedule for the nights that the Evangelist revival is in town?
4. Why does Mrs. Watkins use her husband as a threat against her students?
5. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
2. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
3. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
4. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
5. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
6. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
7. How does David say his family reacted to George?
8. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
9. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
10. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are gender roles defined in this novel? What is significant about this representation? Give examples of the roles of both men and women.
Essay Topic 2
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on education? Consider formal and informal education.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)