|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
2. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
3. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
4. Why does David say he didn't get the name of the last town his train passed in "Chapter 1"?
5. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the revival in "Chapter 4" affect David's town?
2. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
3. How does David say his family reacted to George?
4. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
5. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
6. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
7. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
8. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
9. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
10. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the hills as a setting in this novel. How does this setting affect the characters and the plot? Define setting in your analysis and give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What genre is "The Neon Bible"? How does it fit in this genre? How does it defy it? Define genres and give quotes from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)