|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
2. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
3. Why does Mrs. Watkins say David is a troublemaker?
4. What is the first thing David thinks of when he hears his father died?
5. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
2. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
3. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
4. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
5. In "Chapter 3," what does David do when he returns home from school?
6. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
7. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
8. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
9. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
10. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between David's parents. How does their relationship impact other characters? What themes are expressed in their relationship? Give examples of how David's parents interact and the direct effect it has on others.
Essay Topic 3
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)