|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
2. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
3. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
4. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
5. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
2. How does David say his family reacted to George?
3. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
4. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
5. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
6. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
7. How does Aunt Mae attract attention to herself at the factory party?
8. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
9. In "Chapter 3," why does David get in trouble at school?
10. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of David's character throughout this novel. What things are most significant in his development? Why? Give examples of David's character development from the novel with examples and quotes.
Essay Topic 2
The ending of "The Neon Bible" is full of uncertainty for David. Are there resolutions to the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Aunt Mae's role in David's romantic life. Does she help or hinder his relationship? Use the book to support your analysis.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)