|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the local preacher feel about the Evangelist revival in "Chapter 4"?
2. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor warn about men overseas in the war?
3. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
4. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
5. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
2. What happens when David's father is drafted?
3. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
4. How does Aunt Mae feel after attending the factory party?
5. What does David say happened when he had to play with Bruce?
6. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
7. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
8. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
9. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
10. How does David react to learning that his father died in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is childhood defined in "The Neon Bible"? Consider both David's childhood with that of his classmates. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in this novel? Discuss how the author uses religion in the novel. How does it affect the characters in the novel? Give examples of the use of religion and quotes to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the author's personal history as it relates to "The Neon Bible." Toole was only 16 when he wrote this novel, how does that affect the text?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)