|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does David dig a grave for his mother?
(a) On the other side of the river.
(b) In the middle of the crops.
(c) Under the pines.
(d) Under the porch.
2. What does David do at the end of "Chapter 9"?
(a) Meets someone for coffee in town.
(b) Buries the preacher.
(c) Buys a train ticket.
(d) Eats lunch.
3. Why does Aunt Mae lose her job at the factory?
(a) The factory closes.
(b) She's too busy with the band.
(c) She doesn't show up for work.
(d) Her work becomes poor.
4. Where does Aunt Mae have David get out of Clyde's truck in "Chapter 6"?
(a) In front of a restaurant.
(b) At the top of the hill.
(c) In town.
(d) At the bottom of the hill.
5. Who takes David's envelope of money on the train?
(a) No one.
(b) The conductor.
(c) A ticket operator.
(d) A pick-pocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David stay the night his mother dies?
2. Why does Mr. Williams give David money in "Chapter 8"?
3. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
4. How many shots does David fire at the preacher?
5. In "Chapter 7," what does David say is the worst part of his job at the drugstore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
2. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
3. How does Aunt Mae help David with his love life in "Chapter 7"?
4. Why does Aunt Mae leave David in "Chapter 8"?
5. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
6. Where do David and Jo Lynne go on their first date?
7. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
8. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
9. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
10. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)