|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After digging his mother's grave, what does David instinctively know?
(a) That he did the right thing.
(b) That he is in trouble.
(c) That someone is in the house.
(d) That he is at peace.
2. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To ask about his personal life.
(b) He thought David was someone else.
(c) To let him know when he has to get off the train.
(d) To check his ticket stub.
3. Why does Jo Lynne come to David's town?
(a) Her father moves there.
(b) She is looking for work.
(c) Her grandmother lives there.
(d) She gets lost.
4. In "Chapter 10," how does David describe the distance he traveled?
5. How does David feel at the end of "Chapter 6"?
Short Answer Questions
1. After David's graduation, what does he find his mother doing?
2. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
3. At the end of "Chapter 10," who does David consider turning to for help?
4. In "Chapter 10," what does David say about where he is physically?
5. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time passes between "Chapter 9" and "Chapter 10"?
2. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
3. What does David's mother do on his graduation night?
4. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
5. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
6. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
7. How does David leave town after his mother dies?
8. What does David do when his mother is missing in "Chapter 9"?
9. What does Aunt Mae promise David in "Chapter 8"?
10. What happens when the war ends in "Chapter 6"?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)