|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David dig his mother's grave?
(a) With some of the farming equipment.
(b) With his father's shovel.
(c) With his own shovel.
(d) With her gardening trowel.
2. What does Flora tell Aunt Mae about David's mother in "Chapter 6"?
(a) That she is a new woman.
(b) That she is crazy.
(c) That she is troubled.
(d) That she is lonely.
3. Why does Jo Lynne come to David's town?
(a) She is looking for work.
(b) She gets lost.
(c) Her grandmother lives there.
(d) Her father moves there.
4. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
(a) So they can celebrate.
(b) So he can drive them home.
(c) So she can be alone with a man.
(d) So he can meet Clyde.
5. Where do David and Jo Lynne originally plan on going after seeing the movie in "Chapter 7"?
(a) An ice cream parlor.
(b) Another movie.
(c) David's house.
(d) Jo Lynne's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
2. How does David's mother's physical appearance change in "Chapter 8"?
3. How is David's father's grave marked?
4. After the war, why are some men outcasts in David's town?
5. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do David and the conductor form a relationship in "Chapter 10"?
2. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
3. What happens when Aunt Mae asks Flora for help in "Chapter 6"?
4. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
5. How does David react after shooting the preacher?
6. How do the townspeople feel about David's mother in "Chapter 7"?
7. What does David do after finding his mother in "Chapter 9"?
8. What happens when the war ends in "Chapter 6"?
9. What happens when the preacher comes to visit David in "Chapter 9"?
10. Why do David and Jo Lynne climb a hill in "Chapter 7"?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)