|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
(a) Quickly passing.
(b) Tortured and troubled.
(c) Beautifully sad.
(d) The best of his childhood.
2. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because he didn't talk much.
(b) Because she was losing her mind.
(c) Because he couldn't count.
(d) Because he was small.
3. Why does Mrs. Watkins make David stand up in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because he is the last student to sit down.
(b) Because his pants are wet.
(c) Because his homework is late.
(d) Because his hair is messy.
4. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
(a) The door doesn't lock.
(b) The lights won't turn on.
(c) It is full of junk.
(d) It is missing a window pane.
5. In "Chapter 3," what does Aunt Mae make for breakfast?
(a) Biscuits and eggs.
(b) Eggs and bacon.
(c) Ham and biscuits.
(d) Cereal and oatmeal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing David thinks of when he hears his father died?
2. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
3. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
4. What does David say happened to Aunt Mae after she broke up with George?
5. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
2. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
3. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
4. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
5. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
6. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
7. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
8. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
9. How does David say his family reacted to George?
10. Why do David's mother and father argue in "Chapter 2"?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)