|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) She receives a medal in the mail.
(b) He hasn't written in a while.
(c) He is in a dangerous country.
(d) He says he has been injured.
2. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
(a) Bruce threw his hat in the water.
(b) Bruce made him eat dirt.
(c) Bruce kicked him out of the house.
(d) Bruce handcuffed him to a chair.
3. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
(a) Because he wants to give her something too.
(b) Because it smells good.
(c) Because it's the only one she could grow.
(d) Because he doesn't want it at school.
4. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
(a) She runs into the wall instead.
(b) She is arrested.
(c) She falls over a chair.
(d) She breaks her shoulder bone.
5. While David's father is at war, what does his mother do around the house?
(a) Takes care of the crops.
(b) Sleeps a lot.
(c) Makes bread to sell.
(d) Rents out a room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
2. What color is the flower Aunt Mae packs in David's lunch?
3. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
4. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
5. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David reflect on what happened in the hills before he left town?
2. How does Aunt Mae disappoint David on his graduation night?
3. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
4. How much time passes between "Chapter 9" and "Chapter 10"?
5. How does the propeller factory affect David's town?
6. Why is Aunt Mae home more in "Chapter 8"?
7. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
8. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor talk about during his revival in "Chapter 4"?
9. What is the party like at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
10. What makes David's father burial painful for his mother?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)