|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does David tell about thinking Mrs. Watkins is cross-eyed?
(a) Aunt Mae.
(b) Mrs. Watkins.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
2. In "Chapter 1," what does David say lights up the night during his train ride?
(c) Cars' headlights.
3. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because he was afraid of her.
(b) Because she was hard to know.
(c) Because he rarely saw her.
(d) Because they were different.
4. What does Aunt Mae admit when walking home from the factory party?
(a) She misses George.
(b) She likes dancing all night.
(c) She could be happy in the hills.
(d) She should have calmed down at the party.
5. In "Chapter 3," what does Aunt Mae make for breakfast?
(a) Cereal and oatmeal.
(b) Biscuits and eggs.
(c) Eggs and bacon.
(d) Ham and biscuits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
2. What is David's response in "Chapter 2" after learning his father wants him to help with the crops?
3. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
4. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
5. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David say Aunt Mae had a hard time fitting in in his small town?
2. Why does David say his father wanted him to hang out with other boys as a child?
3. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
4. Why do David's mother and father argue in "Chapter 2"?
5. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
6. How does Mrs. Watkins feel about David?
7. What does the strange woman at the end of "Chapter 4" tell David's family?
8. What is David's new house like in "Chapter 2"?
9. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
10. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)