|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
(a) The car.
(b) The porch.
(c) The couch.
(d) The kitchen.
2. Why does David say it was difficult to play near his new house?
(a) There are snakes.
(b) There is no one to play with.
(c) His mother doesn't let him out after dark.
(d) It always rains.
3. While David's father is at war, what does his mother do around the house?
(a) Makes bread to sell.
(b) Takes care of the crops.
(c) Rents out a room.
(d) Sleeps a lot.
4. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
(a) To honor their country.
(b) To remember their religion.
(c) To avoid foreign women.
(d) To save their money.
5. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Her accent.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
2. How does David's mother fall down the stairs in "Chapter 2"?
3. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
4. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
5. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when David's father is drafted?
2. What is the breakfast like that Aunt Mae prepares in "Chapter 3"?
3. How does David feel about Mrs. Watkins?
4. What is David's life in school like in the fourth grade?
5. What happens when Mrs. Watkins tries to relieve David from his room in "Chapter 3"?
6. How does Mrs. Watkins punish David in "Chapter 3"?
7. In "Chapter 5," what makes David excited about school?
8. Why does David sleep outside in "Chapter 2"?
9. What changes for Aunt Mae after the factory party in "Chapter 5"?
10. What does David's father try to do with the land at the new house in "Chapter 2"?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)