|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David run to the train room after shooting the preacher?
(a) He wants to grab the train.
(b) He wants to hide the gun.
(c) He needs a break.
(d) He wants to hide.
2. When will David get off his train in "Chapter 10"?
(a) In Nashville.
(b) When he can no longer afford to ride.
(c) In the south.
(d) He isn't sure.
3. After David's graduation, what does he find his mother doing?
(a) Sleeping in the living room.
(b) Crying in the bathroom.
(c) Rearranging her bedroom.
(d) Talking to herself in the kitchen.
4. Who suggests David take Jo Lynne to the movies in "Chapter 7"?
(a) David's boss.
(b) Aunt Mae.
(c) David's mother.
(d) Jo Lynne.
5. In "Chapter 7," what does David say is the worst part of his job at the drugstore?
(a) The smell of the store.
(b) People asking about his mother.
(c) The low wages.
(d) People trying to steal.
6. Why does Jo Lynne come to David's town?
(a) Her grandmother lives there.
(b) Her father moves there.
(c) She is looking for work.
(d) She gets lost.
7. How does David feel at the end of "Chapter 6"?
8. How does David dig his mother's grave?
(a) With his father's shovel.
(b) With some of the farming equipment.
(c) With his own shovel.
(d) With her gardening trowel.
9. In "Chapter 8," when does Aunt Mae promise to send train tickets to David?
(a) When he agrees to go to college.
(b) As soon as she gets to Nashville.
(c) In three months.
(d) When she has money.
10. What does David say the women who come into the drugstore do?
(a) Ask for free samples.
(c) Try the nail polish.
(d) Look at the medicine.
11. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
(a) So they can celebrate.
(b) So he can meet Clyde.
(c) So she can be alone with a man.
(d) So he can drive them home.
12. After digging his mother's grave, what does David instinctively know?
(a) That he is in trouble.
(b) That someone is in the house.
(c) That he is at peace.
(d) That he did the right thing.
13. Where is Mr. Farney from originally?
(a) Washington, D.C.
14. How long after Jo Lynne first comes in the store does it take before David talks to her?
(a) A month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) A week.
15. How does David's mother's physical appearance change in "Chapter 8"?
(a) She grew a little taller.
(b) She is more thin.
(c) She paints her fingernails.
(d) Her hair greyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "Chapter 10," who does David consider turning to for help?
2. In "Chapter 10," how does David describe the distance he traveled?
3. What does David suggest to Jo Lynne when she first says she is leaving?
4. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
5. What does David blame Flora for in "Chapter 7"?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)