|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When David finds his mother in "Chapter 9," where is blood coming from?
(a) Her mouth.
(b) Her ears.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her forehead.
2. What makes David happy during the movie he sees with Jo Lynne in "Chapter 7"?
(a) The movie is good.
(b) The tickets were cheap.
(c) No one else is in the theater.
(d) Jo Lynne holds his hand.
3. How is David's father's grave marked?
(a) With a wooden heart.
(b) With a wreath.
(c) With a marble gravestone.
(d) With a white cross.
4. What does Aunt Mae ask her friend, Flora, to do for her in "Chapter 6"?
(a) Help David get into high school.
(b) Lend her money.
(c) Find her a job.
(d) Watch after mother.
5. How many shots does David fire at the preacher?
(a) Three shots.
(b) One shot.
(c) Four shots.
(d) Two shots.
6. Why does David quit his job at the drugstore?
(a) To attend college.
(b) To find a girlfriend.
(c) To start his own business.
(d) To take care of his mother.
7. In "Chapter 10," when does David consider going to Nashville?
(a) When he runs out of money.
(b) When the train stops.
(c) Once he has a job.
8. Where does David dig a grave for his mother?
(a) Under the porch.
(b) Under the pines.
(c) In the middle of the crops.
(d) On the other side of the river.
9. What does David decide to do about taking his mother to an institution in "Chapter 8"?
(a) He wants to visit first.
(b) He decides to talk to Aunt Mae about it.
(c) He decides to ignore it.
(d) He wants money first.
10. What makes David's eighth grade graduation important?
(a) He is giving a speech.
(b) He's the first in the family.
(c) His whole family is there.
(d) He has straight A's.
11. What does David suggest to Jo Lynne when she first says she is leaving?
(a) That they write letters.
(b) That she come back the next month.
(c) That they talk on the phone.
(d) That he visit her the next month.
12. What does David do at the local drugstore?
(a) Passes out flyers.
(b) Cleans after hours.
(c) Answers the phone.
(d) Delivers medicine.
13. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To let him know when he has to get off the train.
(b) To check his ticket stub.
(c) He thought David was someone else.
(d) To ask about his personal life.
14. In "Chapter 10," why does David think about his toy train?
(a) Because he left it at home.
(b) Because he is going to work on trains.
(c) Because he broke it.
(d) Because he is escaping.
15. How does Aunt Mae travel to Nashville?
(a) On a plane.
(b) On a train.
(c) She drives.
(d) On a bus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the preacher come to see David in "Chapter 9"?
2. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
3. In "Chapter 9," what does David say he must do before he can find relief?
4. In "Chapter 6," what picture does David's mother stare at often?
5. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)