|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Stay home with his mother.
(b) Drive him.
(c) Talk to Jo Lynne.
(d) Give him advice.
2. Where does David dig a grave for his mother?
(a) Under the porch.
(b) Under the pines.
(c) On the other side of the river.
(d) In the middle of the crops.
3. Where does David stay the night his mother dies?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) Outside on the porch.
(c) In bed with her.
(d) With his toy train.
4. Where do David and Jo Lynne end up going after the movie in "Chapter 7"?
(a) To a closed carnival.
(b) Where new houses are being built.
(c) To the factory grounds.
(d) To the river.
5. In "Chapter 10," what does David say about where he is physically?
(a) He has to figure it out.
(b) He knows it will never change.
(c) He doesn't care where he is anymore.
(d) He is excited for the possibilities.
6. Why does Jo Lynne come to David's town?
(a) She gets lost.
(b) Her grandmother lives there.
(c) Her father moves there.
(d) She is looking for work.
7. In "Chapter 10," why does David think about his toy train?
(a) Because he is going to work on trains.
(b) Because he left it at home.
(c) Because he broke it.
(d) Because he is escaping.
8. How does David finally find his mother in "Chapter 9"?
(a) He goes to the church.
(b) He opens her bedroom door.
(c) She calls for him.
(d) He trips over her.
9. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To let him know when he has to get off the train.
(b) To check his ticket stub.
(c) To ask about his personal life.
(d) He thought David was someone else.
10. What makes David happy during the movie he sees with Jo Lynne in "Chapter 7"?
(a) The tickets were cheap.
(b) Jo Lynne holds his hand.
(c) No one else is in the theater.
(d) The movie is good.
11. What does David decide to do about taking his mother to an institution in "Chapter 8"?
(a) He decides to ignore it.
(b) He decides to talk to Aunt Mae about it.
(c) He wants money first.
(d) He wants to visit first.
12. What makes David's eighth grade graduation important?
(a) He has straight A's.
(b) He is giving a speech.
(c) His whole family is there.
(d) He's the first in the family.
13. In "Chapter 8," what does David's mother do when she sees David?
(a) She asks him for help.
(b) She stares.
(c) She cries.
(d) She goes to sleep.
14. What assumption does David make about his future in "Chapter 10"?
(a) That he'll be fine.
(b) That he'll go back to the hills.
(c) That he's in trouble.
(d) That he'll find love.
15. When David starts crying in "Chapter 9," why does he think it is strange?
(a) Because he isn't sad.
(b) Because he is too old.
(c) Because his mother is selfish.
(d) Because he never cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
2. In "Chapter 8," where does David spend most of his free time?
3. In "Chapter 8," why does Clyde go to Nashville?
4. Who takes David's envelope of money on the train?
5. What does David do at the local drugstore?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)