|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His watch.
(d) His cuff-links.
2. What does Aunt Mae give David for graduating?
(a) A train ticket.
(b) A watch.
(c) A check.
(d) A new suit.
3. Why does the preacher come to see David in "Chapter 9"?
(a) To try to convert him.
(b) To ask to do the memorial service for his mother.
(c) To collect money for the church.
(d) To convince him to put his mother in an institution.
4. In "Chapter 8," when does Aunt Mae promise to send train tickets to David?
(a) As soon as she gets to Nashville.
(b) When he agrees to go to college.
(c) When she has money.
(d) In three months.
5. Where does Jo Lynne say goodbye to David before she leaves town?
(a) The drugstore.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) David's house.
(d) A coffee shop.
6. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
(a) In the backyard.
(d) In the kitchen.
7. Where do David and Jo Lynne originally plan on going after seeing the movie in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Jo Lynne's house.
(b) David's house.
(c) Another movie.
(d) An ice cream parlor.
8. How does David dig his mother's grave?
(a) With his own shovel.
(b) With some of the farming equipment.
(c) With her gardening trowel.
(d) With his father's shovel.
9. After the war, why are some men outcasts in David's town?
(a) For being poor.
(b) For having foreign wives.
(c) For losing the war.
(d) For being violent.
10. How old is David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) 21 years old.
(b) 20 years old.
(c) 19 years old.
(d) 18 years old.
11. What action does David take at the end of "Chapter 10"?
(a) He stares out the window.
(b) He calls for help.
(c) He exits the train.
(d) He gets out of his seat.
12. Where does "Chapter 10" begin?
(a) In a cab.
(b) On a train.
(c) In a train station.
(d) At David's house.
13. What assumption does David make about his future in "Chapter 10"?
(a) That he'll be fine.
(b) That he'll go back to the hills.
(c) That he'll find love.
(d) That he's in trouble.
14. Why does Jo Lynne come into the drugstore in "Chapter 7"?
(a) To visit her father.
(b) To pick up newspapers.
(c) To buy toilet paper.
(d) To fill prescriptions.
15. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Talk to Jo Lynne.
(b) Stay home with his mother.
(c) Give him advice.
(d) Drive him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Mae have David get out of Clyde's truck in "Chapter 6"?
2. How does David feel after talking to Jo Lynne before she leaves town?
3. What does Jo Lynne do before leaving David for good?
4. What does Aunt Mae ask her friend, Flora, to do for her in "Chapter 6"?
5. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)