|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war, why are some men outcasts in David's town?
(a) For being poor.
(b) For being violent.
(c) For losing the war.
(d) For having foreign wives.
2. Where is Mr. Farney from originally?
(c) Washington, D.C.
3. Where does Jo Lynne say goodbye to David before she leaves town?
(a) David's house.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) The drugstore.
4. In "Chapter 7," the narrator says that some people worried about David's mother, but how do others feel?
(a) Pleased she no longer goes to church.
(b) Happy she's with her son.
(c) Afraid of her.
(d) Mad at David.
5. How does David feel at the end of "Chapter 6"?
6. In "Chapter 8," where does David spend most of his free time?
(a) Near the radio.
(b) In town.
(c) In the upstairs room.
(d) At the drugstore.
7. Why does David run to the train room after shooting the preacher?
(a) He wants to hide the gun.
(b) He wants to grab the train.
(c) He wants to hide.
(d) He needs a break.
8. Where does David shoot the preacher?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the leg.
(c) In the arm.
(d) In the chest.
9. When David starts crying in "Chapter 9," why does he think it is strange?
(a) Because he isn't sad.
(b) Because his mother is selfish.
(c) Because he is too old.
(d) Because he never cries.
10. After David's graduation, what does he find his mother doing?
(a) Sleeping in the living room.
(b) Crying in the bathroom.
(c) Talking to herself in the kitchen.
(d) Rearranging her bedroom.
11. What does David suggest to Jo Lynne when she first says she is leaving?
(a) That they talk on the phone.
(b) That she come back the next month.
(c) That he visit her the next month.
(d) That they write letters.
12. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the backyard.
13. What assumption does David make about his future in "Chapter 10"?
(a) That he'll go back to the hills.
(b) That he'll find love.
(c) That he'll be fine.
(d) That he's in trouble.
14. In "Chapter 8," why does Clyde go to Nashville?
(a) To visit family.
(b) To buy a house.
(c) To play a gig.
(d) To see about a job.
15. What does David decide to do about taking his mother to an institution in "Chapter 8"?
(a) He decides to ignore it.
(b) He wants money first.
(c) He decides to talk to Aunt Mae about it.
(d) He wants to visit first.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David feel when the preacher starts climbing the stairs in his house in "Chapter 9"?
2. Where is David's father buried?
3. Who takes David's envelope of money on the train?
4. What does David think of when he sees the graduation parties in "Chapter 6"?
5. Why does Jo Lynne come to David's town?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)