|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David blame Flora for in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Spreading rumors.
(b) Trying to take his job.
(c) Getting Aunt Mae fired.
(d) Cheating with someone's husband.
2. Where does David dig a grave for his mother?
(a) Under the porch.
(b) In the middle of the crops.
(c) On the other side of the river.
(d) Under the pines.
3. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) He thought David was someone else.
(b) To ask about his personal life.
(c) To let him know when he has to get off the train.
(d) To check his ticket stub.
4. Where does David shoot the preacher?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the leg.
(c) In the chest.
(d) In the arm.
5. In "Chapter 9," what does David say he must do before he can find relief?
(a) Bury his mother.
(b) Start praying.
(c) Run away from home.
(d) Kill the preacher.
6. How does David feel about the shooting while on the train?
(a) He cares less about it.
(b) He thinks of ways to forget about it.
(c) He laughs at himself.
(d) He cares more about it.
7. Where is David's father buried?
(a) In Washington, D.C.
(b) In Germany.
(c) In Italy.
(d) In the town cemetery.
8. What does Jo Lynne do before leaving David for good?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Agrees to stay in touch.
(c) Laughs at him.
(d) Begins to cry.
9. What does David suggest to Jo Lynne when she first says she is leaving?
(a) That they write letters.
(b) That they talk on the phone.
(c) That he visit her the next month.
(d) That she come back the next month.
10. After the war, why are some men outcasts in David's town?
(a) For losing the war.
(b) For being violent.
(c) For having foreign wives.
(d) For being poor.
11. What action does David take at the end of "Chapter 10"?
(a) He calls for help.
(b) He gets out of his seat.
(c) He stares out the window.
(d) He exits the train.
12. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
(b) In the backyard.
(d) In the kitchen.
13. How does David's mother's physical appearance change in "Chapter 8"?
(a) She grew a little taller.
(b) Her hair greyed.
(c) She paints her fingernails.
(d) She is more thin.
14. In "Chapter 6," what picture does David's mother stare at often?
(a) A picture of David's father in uniform.
(b) Her wedding picture.
(c) The picture of David's father's grave.
(d) David's baby picture.
15. Why does David quit his job at the drugstore?
(a) To attend college.
(b) To start his own business.
(c) To find a girlfriend.
(d) To take care of his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes David's eighth grade graduation important?
2. What does Flora tell Aunt Mae about David's mother in "Chapter 6"?
3. Why does Aunt Mae lose her job at the factory?
4. Where does Jo Lynne say goodbye to David before she leaves town?
5. What first attracts David to Jo Lynne?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)