|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jo Lynne come to David's town?
(a) Her father moves there.
(b) Her grandmother lives there.
(c) She is looking for work.
(d) She gets lost.
2. What does David suggest to Jo Lynne when she first says she is leaving?
(a) That she come back the next month.
(b) That they write letters.
(c) That they talk on the phone.
(d) That he visit her the next month.
3. What does David say the women who come into the drugstore do?
(a) Ask for free samples.
(c) Try the nail polish.
(d) Look at the medicine.
4. After digging his mother's grave, what does David instinctively know?
(a) That someone is in the house.
(b) That he is in trouble.
(c) That he did the right thing.
(d) That he is at peace.
5. In "Chapter 7," the narrator says that some people worried about David's mother, but how do others feel?
(a) Happy she's with her son.
(b) Afraid of her.
(c) Pleased she no longer goes to church.
(d) Mad at David.
6. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Stay home with his mother.
(b) Give him advice.
(c) Talk to Jo Lynne.
(d) Drive him.
7. What does David do at the local drugstore?
(a) Passes out flyers.
(b) Answers the phone.
(c) Delivers medicine.
(d) Cleans after hours.
8. In "Chapter 10," what does David say about where he is physically?
(a) He knows it will never change.
(b) He doesn't care where he is anymore.
(c) He is excited for the possibilities.
(d) He has to figure it out.
9. How does Jo Lynne treat David when she says goodbye before leaving town?
(a) She acts kind.
(b) She acts harsh.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She acts indifferent.
10. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
(b) In the backyard.
(d) In the kitchen.
11. What does Flora tell Aunt Mae about David's mother in "Chapter 6"?
(a) That she is a new woman.
(b) That she is troubled.
(c) That she is lonely.
(d) That she is crazy.
12. How does David feel at the end of "Chapter 6"?
13. How does David's mother's physical appearance change in "Chapter 8"?
(a) She grew a little taller.
(b) She paints her fingernails.
(c) She is more thin.
(d) Her hair greyed.
14. How old is David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) 19 years old.
(b) 18 years old.
(c) 20 years old.
(d) 21 years old.
15. Where do David and Jo Lynne originally plan on going after seeing the movie in "Chapter 7"?
(a) An ice cream parlor.
(b) David's house.
(c) Jo Lynne's house.
(d) Another movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David feel about the shooting while on the train?
2. How long after Jo Lynne first comes in the store does it take before David talks to her?
3. Where does David stay the night his mother dies?
4. What does David ask Jo Lynne before she leaves town?
5. How many shots does David fire at the preacher?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)