|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David quit his job at the drugstore?
(a) To take care of his mother.
(b) To attend college.
(c) To start his own business.
(d) To find a girlfriend.
2. How is David's father's grave marked?
(a) With a wooden heart.
(b) With a white cross.
(c) With a wreath.
(d) With a marble gravestone.
3. What does Jo Lynne do before leaving David for good?
(a) Agrees to stay in touch.
(b) Laughs at him.
(c) Begins to cry.
(d) Slaps him.
4. What does David do at the end of "Chapter 9"?
(a) Buries the preacher.
(b) Buys a train ticket.
(c) Meets someone for coffee in town.
(d) Eats lunch.
5. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To let him know when he has to get off the train.
(b) To ask about his personal life.
(c) He thought David was someone else.
(d) To check his ticket stub.
6. Why does the preacher come to see David in "Chapter 9"?
(a) To convince him to put his mother in an institution.
(b) To try to convert him.
(c) To collect money for the church.
(d) To ask to do the memorial service for his mother.
7. Where is Mr. Farney from originally?
(a) Washington, D.C.
8. What assumption does David make about his future in "Chapter 10"?
(a) That he'll go back to the hills.
(b) That he's in trouble.
(c) That he'll be fine.
(d) That he'll find love.
9. After David's graduation, what does he find his mother doing?
(a) Sleeping in the living room.
(b) Rearranging her bedroom.
(c) Crying in the bathroom.
(d) Talking to herself in the kitchen.
10. In "Chapter 6," what picture does David's mother stare at often?
(a) A picture of David's father in uniform.
(b) David's baby picture.
(c) The picture of David's father's grave.
(d) Her wedding picture.
11. What action does David take at the end of "Chapter 10"?
(a) He exits the train.
(b) He calls for help.
(c) He stares out the window.
(d) He gets out of his seat.
12. How does David finally find his mother in "Chapter 9"?
(a) He opens her bedroom door.
(b) He goes to the church.
(c) He trips over her.
(d) She calls for him.
13. When David starts crying in "Chapter 9," why does he think it is strange?
(a) Because he is too old.
(b) Because he isn't sad.
(c) Because he never cries.
(d) Because his mother is selfish.
14. After digging his mother's grave, what does David instinctively know?
(a) That he is at peace.
(b) That someone is in the house.
(c) That he did the right thing.
(d) That he is in trouble.
15. In "Chapter 7," what does David say is the worst part of his job at the drugstore?
(a) People asking about his mother.
(b) The low wages.
(c) The smell of the store.
(d) People trying to steal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
2. How long does David ride on the train in "Chapter 10"?
3. Where do David and Jo Lynne originally plan on going after seeing the movie in "Chapter 7"?
4. How is David described in "Chapter 10"?
5. Who suggests David take Jo Lynne to the movies in "Chapter 7"?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)