|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war, why are some men outcasts in David's town?
(a) For being poor.
(b) For being violent.
(c) For losing the war.
(d) For having foreign wives.
2. What does David think of when he sees the graduation parties in "Chapter 6"?
(a) How he isn't invited to them.
(b) How he wants to be rich.
(c) How kind Aunt Mae is to him.
(d) How his father isn't there.
3. After David's graduation, what does he find his mother doing?
(a) Talking to herself in the kitchen.
(b) Sleeping in the living room.
(c) Crying in the bathroom.
(d) Rearranging her bedroom.
4. What makes David happy during the movie he sees with Jo Lynne in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Jo Lynne holds his hand.
(b) The tickets were cheap.
(c) The movie is good.
(d) No one else is in the theater.
5. How long after Jo Lynne first comes in the store does it take before David talks to her?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two months.
(c) A week.
(d) A month.
6. What first attracts David to Jo Lynne?
(a) Her hands.
(b) Her accent.
(c) Her appearance.
(d) Her smell.
7. Where does Jo Lynne say goodbye to David before she leaves town?
(a) The movie theater.
(b) David's house.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) The drugstore.
8. When David can't find his mother in "Chapter 9," where is the first place he goes?
(b) In the backyard.
(d) In the kitchen.
9. In "Chapter 9," what does David first feel under his feet while looking for his mother?
(a) Something runny.
(b) Something soft.
(c) Something hard.
(d) Something cold.
10. What does Aunt Mae ask her friend, Flora, to do for her in "Chapter 6"?
(a) Lend her money.
(b) Watch after mother.
(c) Find her a job.
(d) Help David get into high school.
11. Why does Mr. Williams give David money in "Chapter 8"?
(a) He feels bad for him.
(b) He wants David to invest it for him.
(c) He buys things from David.
(d) He owes him money.
12. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Drive him.
(b) Give him advice.
(c) Stay home with his mother.
(d) Talk to Jo Lynne.
13. After digging his mother's grave, what does David instinctively know?
(a) That he is in trouble.
(b) That he is at peace.
(c) That someone is in the house.
(d) That he did the right thing.
14. Why does Aunt Mae tell David to get into Clyde's truck after graduation?
(a) So she can be alone with a man.
(b) So he can meet Clyde.
(c) So they can celebrate.
(d) So he can drive them home.
15. Where does David shoot the preacher?
(a) In the arm.
(b) In the chest.
(c) In the leg.
(d) In the head.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 7," what does David say is the worst part of his job at the drugstore?
2. Where do David and Jo Lynne end up going after the movie in "Chapter 7"?
3. Who suggests David take Jo Lynne to the movies in "Chapter 7"?
4. Why does the preacher come to see David in "Chapter 9"?
5. How does David feel about the shooting while on the train?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)