|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do David and Jo Lynne end up going after the movie in "Chapter 7"?
(a) Where new houses are being built.
(b) To the river.
(c) To a closed carnival.
(d) To the factory grounds.
2. What does David wear of his father's for his eighth grade graduation?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His cuff-links.
(d) His watch.
3. How is David's father's grave marked?
(a) With a wreath.
(b) With a white cross.
(c) With a marble gravestone.
(d) With a wooden heart.
4. How does David dig his mother's grave?
(a) With his father's shovel.
(b) With his own shovel.
(c) With her gardening trowel.
(d) With some of the farming equipment.
5. In "Chapter 7," the narrator says that some people worried about David's mother, but how do others feel?
(a) Happy she's with her son.
(b) Afraid of her.
(c) Pleased she no longer goes to church.
(d) Mad at David.
6. How long does David ride on the train in "Chapter 10"?
(a) Two hours.
(b) A week.
(c) The entire night.
(d) Half a day.
7. What does David see outside his window in "Chapter 10"?
(d) Coal mines.
8. What does David's mother do at the end of "Chapter 6"?
(a) Looks at a picture.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Watches TV.
(d) Reads a book.
9. What makes David's eighth grade graduation important?
(a) He's the first in the family.
(b) He has straight A's.
(c) He is giving a speech.
(d) His whole family is there.
10. Who does David consider writing to while on the train?
(a) Aunt Mae.
(b) The preacher.
(c) A local newspaper.
(d) A college.
11. How many shots does David fire at the preacher?
(a) Three shots.
(b) One shot.
(c) Four shots.
(d) Two shots.
12. Why does the train conductor talk to David in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To let him know when he has to get off the train.
(b) He thought David was someone else.
(c) To check his ticket stub.
(d) To ask about his personal life.
13. Where does David dig a grave for his mother?
(a) Under the porch.
(b) In the middle of the crops.
(c) Under the pines.
(d) On the other side of the river.
14. How does David's mother's physical appearance change in "Chapter 8"?
(a) She grew a little taller.
(b) She paints her fingernails.
(c) Her hair greyed.
(d) She is more thin.
15. Where does David shoot the preacher?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the chest.
(c) In the arm.
(d) In the leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David quit his job at the drugstore?
2. What does Aunt Mae agree to do the night of David's date in "Chapter 7"?
3. In "Chapter 10," why does David think about his toy train?
4. What does David suggest to Jo Lynne when she first says she is leaving?
5. Where does David take her mother to try to stop the bleeding in "Chapter 9"?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)