|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
(a) Beautifully sad.
(b) The best of his childhood.
(c) Tortured and troubled.
(d) Quickly passing.
2. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
(a) An article in the paper.
(b) His mother told him.
(c) Through a letter.
(d) A phone call.
3. What does David say made Aunt Mae stand out in his small town?
(a) The way she stayed inside.
(b) The religion she practiced.
(c) The way she dressed.
(d) The books she read.
4. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
(a) Because he was going to go there that weekend.
(b) Because of his fond memories there.
(c) Because they wanted to visit there.
(d) Because he's trying to think of something else.
5. How does David know his first grade teacher before school begins?
(a) She was his pre-school teacher.
(b) They used to be neighbors.
(c) His mother plays cards with her.
(d) He goes to her church.
6. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
(a) In the eighth grade.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) About seventeen.
(d) When he was in the first grade.
7. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
(a) He is pleased with her.
(b) He dislikes her.
(c) He doesn't know her well.
(d) He is afraid of her.
8. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
9. When is David's father drafted?
(a) His father isn't drafted.
(b) Near the end of the war.
(c) Before the war begins.
(d) Once the war started.
10. Who finds work at the propeller factory?
(b) Mostly women.
(c) Unemployed mechanics.
(d) Young men.
11. What does Mrs. Watkins threaten to do to David in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Make him move all the desks.
(b) Call the authorities.
(c) Hit him with a ruler.
(d) Kick him out of school.
12. What does everyone at the factory party ask Aunt Mae to do?
(b) Stop dancing.
(d) Stop singing.
13. In "Chapter 3," what leftovers does David find in his lunch?
(b) Hush puppies.
14. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
(a) Because she says to stop the music.
(b) Because she kicks them off.
(c) Because she is a terrible dancer.
(d) Because she is dancing well.
15. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
(a) It is all over flyers in town.
(b) He makes radio appearances.
(c) It isn't well known.
(d) He is running for mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the flower Aunt Mae packs in David's lunch?
2. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
3. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
4. What does Mrs. Watkins's husband do for a living?
5. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)