|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Mae admit when walking home from the factory party?
(a) She could be happy in the hills.
(b) She misses George.
(c) She likes dancing all night.
(d) She should have calmed down at the party.
2. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because she was hard to know.
(b) Because they were different.
(c) Because he rarely saw her.
(d) Because he was afraid of her.
3. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
(a) To call her husband.
(b) Not to tell anyone.
(c) That he'll be punished.
(d) That she is sorry.
4. At the end of "Chapter 5," what does David realize about himself?
(a) He is tired.
(b) He is crying.
(c) He sat down.
(d) He is running.
5. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
(a) On a walk.
(b) When her car broke down.
(c) At the movies.
(d) He was David's friend.
6. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
(a) Covers his nose.
(b) Throws up.
(d) Breathes it in deeply.
7. In "Chapter 4," what is Aunt Mae promoted to at work?
(a) Field operator.
8. What is David's response in "Chapter 2" after learning his father wants him to help with the crops?
(a) David pretends to be sick.
(b) David can't wait to help.
(c) David wants to return to school.
(d) David wants to start his own farm.
9. Why does Mrs. Watkins use her husband as a threat against her students?
(a) Because of his violent past.
(b) Because of his strength.
(c) Because of his size.
(d) Because of his reputation.
10. What does Mrs. Watkins's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a mechanic.
(b) He is a painter.
(c) He is a reporter.
(d) He is a deacon.
11. What is the first thing David thinks of when he hears his father died?
(a) The train.
(b) His fight with David's mother.
(c) His face.
(d) His plot of land.
12. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
(a) A book he read as a child.
(b) Christmas as a child.
(c) His birthday.
(d) Traveling with his father.
13. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her clothing.
(c) Her accent.
(d) Her hair.
14. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
(a) Because he doesn't want it at school.
(b) Because it smells good.
(c) Because it's the only one she could grow.
(d) Because he wants to give her something too.
15. When does David's family go see Bobbie Lee Taylor speak?
(a) The first weekend he is in town.
(b) His tenth day in town.
(c) His first day in town.
(d) His fifth day in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
2. Who does David tell about thinking Mrs. Watkins is cross-eyed?
3. In "Chapter 5," what grade is David in?
4. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
5. How do the women decorate their hair for the party in "Chapter 5"?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)