|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
(a) Because there is clay in the ground.
(b) Because he is getting older.
(c) Because he wants to turn a profit.
(d) Because the plow breaks.
2. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Finds new members.
(b) Plays wedding receptions.
(c) Plays for a party at David's house.
(d) Breaks up.
3. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
(a) Her dress.
(b) Her attitude.
(c) Her voice.
(d) Her family.
4. What does everyone at the factory party ask Aunt Mae to do?
(c) Stop dancing.
(d) Stop singing.
5. Who does David tell about thinking Mrs. Watkins is cross-eyed?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) Aunt Mae.
(d) Mrs. Watkins.
6. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) He is in a dangerous country.
(b) He says he has been injured.
(c) He hasn't written in a while.
(d) She receives a medal in the mail.
7. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
(a) That he'll be punished.
(b) To call her husband.
(c) Not to tell anyone.
(d) That she is sorry.
8. Why does David say it was difficult to play near his new house?
(a) It always rains.
(b) There are snakes.
(c) His mother doesn't let him out after dark.
(d) There is no one to play with.
9. Why does David's father sell the seeds in "Chapter 3"?
(a) For grocery money.
(b) To make David's mother angry.
(c) To prove he is right.
(d) To start a new business.
10. In "Chapter 1," what does David say lights up the night during his train ride?
(b) Cars' headlights.
11. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
(a) She breaks her shoulder bone.
(b) She is arrested.
(c) She runs into the wall instead.
(d) She falls over a chair.
12. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
(a) The lights won't turn on.
(b) It is missing a window pane.
(c) It is full of junk.
(d) The door doesn't lock.
13. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
(a) The new house is larger than the old one.
(b) The rented their furniture with the house.
(c) They were robbed before they moved.
(d) They sold their furniture to make money.
14. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
(a) He is running for mayor.
(b) It isn't well known.
(c) He makes radio appearances.
(d) It is all over flyers in town.
15. What does Aunt Mae say when questioned about why she didn't go on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
(a) There wasn't enough room.
(b) She knows she is a sinner.
(c) She is uncertain.
(d) She is too afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David's mother fall down the stairs in "Chapter 2"?
2. What was George charged with that sent him to prison?
3. What does David say about his emotions when he first learns his father died?
4. What does Mrs. Watkins's husband do for a living?
5. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)