|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
(a) He is running for mayor.
(b) He makes radio appearances.
(c) It isn't well known.
(d) It is all over flyers in town.
2. In "Chapter 3," why does Mrs. Watkins slap David?
(a) Because he won't stand up.
(b) Because he burps.
(c) Because he talks back.
(d) Because his pants are wet.
3. What does David say happened to him when Bruce and his friends found him crying?
(a) They tossed him in the river.
(b) They beat him up.
(c) They took him home.
(d) They told his dad.
4. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
(a) A rake.
(b) A plow.
(c) A cat.
(d) His clothing.
5. What does Aunt Mae admit when walking home from the factory party?
(a) She misses George.
(b) She could be happy in the hills.
(c) She likes dancing all night.
(d) She should have calmed down at the party.
6. In "Chapter 4," why are the mechanic shops closed?
(a) There is a shortage of parts.
(b) There is an economic depression.
(c) Few people drive cars.
(d) The men are at war.
7. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
(a) Because he is getting older.
(b) Because he wants to turn a profit.
(c) Because there is clay in the ground.
(d) Because the plow breaks.
8. What is David's response in "Chapter 2" after learning his father wants him to help with the crops?
(a) David can't wait to help.
(b) David wants to return to school.
(c) David pretends to be sick.
(d) David wants to start his own farm.
9. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
(a) He doesn't know her well.
(b) He dislikes her.
(c) He is pleased with her.
(d) He is afraid of her.
10. What is wrong with Aunt Mae's breakfast in "Chapter 3"?
(a) It is poorly prepared.
(b) It got cold.
(c) She is sick when she makes it.
(d) It fell on the floor.
11. Why does Mrs. Watkins say David is a troublemaker?
(a) She dislikes Aunt Mae.
(b) She thinks he dislikes her.
(c) She sees him steal from another student.
(d) She catches him cheating.
12. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
(a) His mother's attitude.
(b) His father's crying.
(c) The weather.
(d) Aunt Mae's singing.
13. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
(a) They sold their furniture to make money.
(b) They were robbed before they moved.
(c) The new house is larger than the old one.
(d) The rented their furniture with the house.
14. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
(a) A young boy.
(c) Bobbie Lee Taylor.
(d) A woman.
15. What does David say about his emotions when he first learns his father died?
(a) He doesn't know how to feel.
(b) He feels bad for his mother.
(c) He has never been more sad.
(d) He can't think about his emotions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
2. When the Evangelist revival comes to town in "Chapter 4," how long has it been since the last revival?
3. In "Chapter 4," what is Aunt Mae promoted to at work?
4. In "Chapter 3," what does Aunt Mae make for breakfast?
5. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)