|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women decorate their hair for the party in "Chapter 5"?
(a) With bows.
(b) With flowers.
(c) With hats.
(d) With short hair cuts.
2. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
(a) Christmas as a child.
(b) Traveling with his father.
(c) His birthday.
(d) A book he read as a child.
3. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
(a) Bruce handcuffed him to a chair.
(b) Bruce threw his hat in the water.
(c) Bruce kicked him out of the house.
(d) Bruce made him eat dirt.
4. While David's father is at war, what does his mother do around the house?
(a) Sleeps a lot.
(b) Makes bread to sell.
(c) Takes care of the crops.
(d) Rents out a room.
5. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
(a) He wanted to be near his mother.
(b) There weren't other child around.
(c) He was always in trouble.
(d) He was shy.
6. Why does David visit the courthouse with Mrs. Moore?
(a) To speak to a judge.
(b) To pay for Aunt Mae's ticket.
(c) To help his father with money.
(d) To be part of a play.
7. What does Mrs. Watkins threaten to do to David in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Hit him with a ruler.
(b) Kick him out of school.
(c) Make him move all the desks.
(d) Call the authorities.
8. Why does Mrs. Watkins say David is a troublemaker?
(a) She sees him steal from another student.
(b) She thinks he dislikes her.
(c) She dislikes Aunt Mae.
(d) She catches him cheating.
9. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
(a) To shake his hand.
(b) To lead the crowd in prayers.
(c) To ask questions.
(d) To recommit to their religion.
10. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
(a) David's mother.
(b) Aunt Mae.
(c) The women who work there.
(d) The general contractor.
11. What is David's response in "Chapter 2" after learning his father wants him to help with the crops?
(a) David can't wait to help.
(b) David wants to start his own farm.
(c) David wants to return to school.
(d) David pretends to be sick.
12. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her accent.
(d) Her clothing.
13. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because they were different.
(b) Because he rarely saw her.
(c) Because she was hard to know.
(d) Because he was afraid of her.
14. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because he didn't talk much.
(b) Because he couldn't count.
(c) Because she was losing her mind.
(d) Because he was small.
15. When is David's father drafted?
(a) Once the war started.
(b) Near the end of the war.
(c) His father isn't drafted.
(d) Before the war begins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
2. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
3. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
4. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
5. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)