|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
(a) He was always in trouble.
(b) He wanted to be near his mother.
(c) He was shy.
(d) There weren't other child around.
2. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
(a) The rented their furniture with the house.
(b) The new house is larger than the old one.
(c) They sold their furniture to make money.
(d) They were robbed before they moved.
3. What does David say he did to Bruce and his friends while he was crying?
(a) He hit Bruce.
(b) He threw rocks at them.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He puked on them.
4. Why does David visit the courthouse with Mrs. Moore?
(a) To be part of a play.
(b) To speak to a judge.
(c) To help his father with money.
(d) To pay for Aunt Mae's ticket.
5. In "Chapter 1," what does David say lights up the night during his train ride?
(b) Cars' headlights.
6. In "Chapter 5," what grade is David in?
(a) Sixth grade.
(b) Fifth grade.
(c) Fourth grade.
(d) Seventh grade.
7. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
8. How do they make a dance floor in the factory for the party?
(a) They move the machines.
(b) They set up cubicle dividers.
(c) They put down a new floor.
(d) They use a parking garage.
9. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor warn about men overseas in the war?
(a) They lose their value in this country.
(b) They are killing other.
(c) They find foreign wives.
(d) They are sinners.
10. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
(a) Throws up.
(b) Covers his nose.
(d) Breathes it in deeply.
11. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
(a) It is all over flyers in town.
(b) He is running for mayor.
(c) It isn't well known.
(d) He makes radio appearances.
12. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
(a) That he'll be punished.
(b) To call her husband.
(c) That she is sorry.
(d) Not to tell anyone.
13. Who does David tell about thinking Mrs. Watkins is cross-eyed?
(a) Mrs. Watkins.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) Aunt Mae.
14. What does the preacher schedule for the nights that the Evangelist revival is in town?
(a) Bible conferences.
(c) Candlelight vigils.
(d) Welcome parties.
15. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
(a) He is pleased with her.
(b) He is afraid of her.
(c) He doesn't know her well.
(d) He dislikes her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone at the factory party ask Aunt Mae to do?
2. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
3. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
4. What is the first thing David thinks of when he hears his father died?
5. At the end of "Chapter 5," what does David realize about himself?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)