|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aunt Mae spend less time at home after the factory party?
(a) She is trying to find a new job.
(b) She starts singing with a band.
(c) She picks up extra shifts.
(d) She is embarassed.
2. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because it locks on her side of the door.
(b) Because he is sleeping.
(c) Because the lock is stuck.
(d) Because she is leaning on the door.
3. What color is the flower Aunt Mae packs in David's lunch?
4. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
(a) On a walk.
(b) When her car broke down.
(c) He was David's friend.
(d) At the movies.
5. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
(a) His father's crying.
(b) Aunt Mae's singing.
(c) His mother's attitude.
(d) The weather.
6. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
(a) An article in the paper.
(b) A phone call.
(c) Through a letter.
(d) His mother told him.
7. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
(a) A woman.
(b) Bobbie Lee Taylor.
(c) A young boy.
8. When is David's father drafted?
(a) Near the end of the war.
(b) His father isn't drafted.
(c) Before the war begins.
(d) Once the war started.
9. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because he rarely saw her.
(b) Because he was afraid of her.
(c) Because they were different.
(d) Because she was hard to know.
10. Why does David visit the courthouse with Mrs. Moore?
(a) To help his father with money.
(b) To speak to a judge.
(c) To pay for Aunt Mae's ticket.
(d) To be part of a play.
11. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Breaks up.
(b) Plays for a party at David's house.
(c) Finds new members.
(d) Plays wedding receptions.
12. How does the local preacher feel about the Evangelist revival in "Chapter 4"?
(a) He looks forward to it.
(b) He doesn't know it's in town.
(c) He wants to approve it first.
(d) He doesn't like it.
13. In "Chapter 3," why does David stop on the way to school to write?
(a) Because he forgot his homework.
(b) Because someone asked him to write a song.
(c) Because he wants to write a note to a friend.
(d) Because he wants to write a novel.
14. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
(a) A phone call.
(b) A letter.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A visit from his superior.
15. What does Aunt Mae pack David's lunches in?
(a) Brown bags.
(b) Her old purse.
(c) Plastic bags.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David's father sell the seeds in "Chapter 3"?
2. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
3. Why does Aunt Mae go to the movie theater on Saturdays?
4. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
5. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)