|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A phone call.
(c) A visit from his superior.
(d) A letter.
2. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Her accent.
3. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
(a) The general contractor.
(b) The women who work there.
(c) David's mother.
(d) Aunt Mae.
4. Why does David say he didn't get the name of the last town his train passed in "Chapter 1"?
(a) He was sleeping.
(b) They didn't pass a town.
(c) The train was moving too fast.
(d) He wasn't interested.
5. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
(a) George moved away.
(b) George opened a car wash.
(c) George went back to college.
(d) George started dating her sister.
6. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
(a) He was David's friend.
(b) When her car broke down.
(c) On a walk.
(d) At the movies.
7. At the end of "Chapter 5," what does David realize about himself?
(a) He is crying.
(b) He is running.
(c) He sat down.
(d) He is tired.
8. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because he couldn't count.
(b) Because he didn't talk much.
(c) Because he was small.
(d) Because she was losing her mind.
9. In "Chapter 2," how does David lose a tooth?
(a) It falls out in his sleep.
(b) Mrs. Watkins knocks it out.
(c) He eats something hard.
(d) He gets punched.
10. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
(a) To recommit to their religion.
(b) To lead the crowd in prayers.
(c) To shake his hand.
(d) To ask questions.
11. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because he was afraid of her.
(b) Because he rarely saw her.
(c) Because she was hard to know.
(d) Because they were different.
12. In "Chapter 4," why are the mechanic shops closed?
(a) There is a shortage of parts.
(b) There is an economic depression.
(c) Few people drive cars.
(d) The men are at war.
13. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
(a) To remember their religion.
(b) To save their money.
(c) To honor their country.
(d) To avoid foreign women.
14. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
(a) Because the plow breaks.
(b) Because he is getting older.
(c) Because he wants to turn a profit.
(d) Because there is clay in the ground.
15. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
(a) In with his grandmother.
(b) To the hills.
(c) Next to the factory.
(d) To the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
2. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
3. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
4. Why does David's father sell the seeds in "Chapter 3"?
5. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)