|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
(a) A cat.
(b) A rake.
(c) His clothing.
(d) A plow.
2. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because she was losing her mind.
(b) Because he couldn't count.
(c) Because he was small.
(d) Because he didn't talk much.
3. What was George charged with that sent him to prison?
(a) A battery charge.
(b) A morals charge.
(c) A tax evasion charge.
(d) A robbery charge.
4. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
(a) The general contractor.
(b) David's mother.
(c) The women who work there.
(d) Aunt Mae.
5. In "Chapter 4," what is Aunt Mae promoted to at work?
(a) Field operator.
6. What does David say happened to Aunt Mae after she broke up with George?
(a) She was less interested in playing.
(b) She moved away.
(c) She tried to start a business.
(d) She wrote poetry.
7. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) Her accent.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her husband.
8. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
(a) Because she is afraid.
(b) Because she falls asleep.
(c) Because she doesn't have money.
(d) Because Aunt Mae helps her instead.
9. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
(a) The lights won't turn on.
(b) It is full of junk.
(c) The door doesn't lock.
(d) It is missing a window pane.
10. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
(a) The best of his childhood.
(b) Quickly passing.
(c) Beautifully sad.
(d) Tortured and troubled.
11. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
(a) Because they wanted to visit there.
(b) Because of his fond memories there.
(c) Because he's trying to think of something else.
(d) Because he was going to go there that weekend.
12. What does Aunt Mae say when questioned about why she didn't go on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
(a) She is uncertain.
(b) She knows she is a sinner.
(c) There wasn't enough room.
(d) She is too afraid.
13. In "Chapter 3," what leftovers does David find in his lunch?
(b) Hush puppies.
14. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
(a) They don't make any money.
(b) They sleep a lot.
(c) They move back overseas.
(d) They lose their religion.
15. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Finds new members.
(b) Plays for a party at David's house.
(c) Plays wedding receptions.
(d) Breaks up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
2. In "Chapter 3," why does Mrs. Watkins slap David?
3. Who finds work at the propeller factory?
4. Why does David's father sell the seeds in "Chapter 3"?
5. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)