|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David say happened to Aunt Mae after she broke up with George?
(a) She tried to start a business.
(b) She moved away.
(c) She was less interested in playing.
(d) She wrote poetry.
2. How do the women decorate their hair for the party in "Chapter 5"?
(a) With bows.
(b) With hats.
(c) With flowers.
(d) With short hair cuts.
3. What does David say happened to him when Bruce and his friends found him crying?
(a) They beat him up.
(b) They told his dad.
(c) They took him home.
(d) They tossed him in the river.
4. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
5. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because it locks on her side of the door.
(b) Because he is sleeping.
(c) Because the lock is stuck.
(d) Because she is leaning on the door.
6. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
(a) To save their money.
(b) To avoid foreign women.
(c) To remember their religion.
(d) To honor their country.
7. In "Chapter 2," how does David lose a tooth?
(a) He eats something hard.
(b) Mrs. Watkins knocks it out.
(c) He gets punched.
(d) It falls out in his sleep.
8. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
(a) They sleep a lot.
(b) They lose their religion.
(c) They move back overseas.
(d) They don't make any money.
9. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
(a) Because she doesn't have money.
(b) Because she is afraid.
(c) Because Aunt Mae helps her instead.
(d) Because she falls asleep.
10. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Her accent.
11. Why does David say it was difficult to play near his new house?
(a) His mother doesn't let him out after dark.
(b) It always rains.
(c) There are snakes.
(d) There is no one to play with.
12. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Plays for a party at David's house.
(b) Plays wedding receptions.
(c) Finds new members.
(d) Breaks up.
13. Why are David's pants wet in "Chapter 3"?
(a) From the grass.
(b) From falling in a puddle.
(c) From spilling a drink.
(d) From urinating.
14. What does David say about his emotions when he first learns his father died?
(a) He has never been more sad.
(b) He feels bad for his mother.
(c) He can't think about his emotions.
(d) He doesn't know how to feel.
15. What does David say made Aunt Mae stand out in his small town?
(a) The books she read.
(b) The religion she practiced.
(c) The way she stayed inside.
(d) The way she dressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Watkins use her husband as a threat against her students?
2. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
3. What was George charged with that sent him to prison?
4. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
5. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)