|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," what does David say lights up the night during his train ride?
(a) Cars' headlights.
2. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
(a) He was David's friend.
(b) At the movies.
(c) When her car broke down.
(d) On a walk.
3. What does Aunt Mae say when questioned about why she didn't go on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
(a) She is uncertain.
(b) There wasn't enough room.
(c) She knows she is a sinner.
(d) She is too afraid.
4. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
(a) George opened a car wash.
(b) George went back to college.
(c) George started dating her sister.
(d) George moved away.
5. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) She receives a medal in the mail.
(b) He says he has been injured.
(c) He is in a dangerous country.
(d) He hasn't written in a while.
6. Why does David say he didn't get the name of the last town his train passed in "Chapter 1"?
(a) He wasn't interested.
(b) He was sleeping.
(c) They didn't pass a town.
(d) The train was moving too fast.
7. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
(a) Next to the factory.
(b) To the city.
(c) In with his grandmother.
(d) To the hills.
8. What is wrong with Aunt Mae's breakfast in "Chapter 3"?
(a) She is sick when she makes it.
(b) It fell on the floor.
(c) It got cold.
(d) It is poorly prepared.
9. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
(a) Aunt Mae's singing.
(b) His mother's attitude.
(c) The weather.
(d) His father's crying.
10. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because he was afraid of her.
(b) Because he rarely saw her.
(c) Because she was hard to know.
(d) Because they were different.
11. How do the women decorate their hair for the party in "Chapter 5"?
(a) With flowers.
(b) With hats.
(c) With bows.
(d) With short hair cuts.
12. What does the preacher schedule for the nights that the Evangelist revival is in town?
(a) Welcome parties.
(b) Bible conferences.
(c) Candlelight vigils.
13. In "Chapter 5," what grade is David in?
(a) Sixth grade.
(b) Fifth grade.
(c) Seventh grade.
(d) Fourth grade.
14. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
(a) To ask questions.
(b) To recommit to their religion.
(c) To shake his hand.
(d) To lead the crowd in prayers.
15. In "Chapter 3," why does David stop on the way to school to write?
(a) Because someone asked him to write a song.
(b) Because he wants to write a novel.
(c) Because he forgot his homework.
(d) Because he wants to write a note to a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David say happened to Aunt Mae after she broke up with George?
2. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
3. At the end of "Chapter 5," what does David realize about himself?
4. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
5. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)