|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Evangelist revival comes to town in "Chapter 4," how long has it been since the last revival?
(a) A few months.
(b) It's the first revival.
(c) About five years.
(d) Over a year.
2. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) He hasn't written in a while.
(b) He is in a dangerous country.
(c) She receives a medal in the mail.
(d) He says he has been injured.
3. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Finds new members.
(b) Breaks up.
(c) Plays for a party at David's house.
(d) Plays wedding receptions.
4. In "Chapter 4," what is Aunt Mae promoted to at work?
(b) Field operator.
5. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
(a) Because she is dancing well.
(b) Because she says to stop the music.
(c) Because she is a terrible dancer.
(d) Because she kicks them off.
6. How do they make a dance floor in the factory for the party?
(a) They move the machines.
(b) They use a parking garage.
(c) They set up cubicle dividers.
(d) They put down a new floor.
7. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
(b) People getting on the train.
(c) The towns.
(d) The trees.
8. In "Chapter 3," why does David stop on the way to school to write?
(a) Because he forgot his homework.
(b) Because he wants to write a note to a friend.
(c) Because he wants to write a novel.
(d) Because someone asked him to write a song.
9. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
(a) An article in the paper.
(b) Through a letter.
(c) A phone call.
(d) His mother told him.
10. What does Mrs. Watkins's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a mechanic.
(b) He is a painter.
(c) He is a deacon.
(d) He is a reporter.
11. Why does David say he likes the porch on his new house in "Chapter 2"?
(a) He can see the country.
(b) It is breezy.
(c) He is allowed out there alone.
(d) Someone carved sayings into the boards.
12. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A visit from his superior.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A letter.
13. When does David's family go see Bobbie Lee Taylor speak?
(a) His first day in town.
(b) His tenth day in town.
(c) His fifth day in town.
(d) The first weekend he is in town.
14. How do the women decorate their hair for the party in "Chapter 5"?
(a) With bows.
(b) With flowers.
(c) With short hair cuts.
(d) With hats.
15. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because he couldn't count.
(b) Because she was losing her mind.
(c) Because he didn't talk much.
(d) Because he was small.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David's mother fall down the stairs in "Chapter 2"?
2. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
3. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
4. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
5. When is David's father drafted?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)