|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David's father sell the seeds in "Chapter 3"?
(a) To prove he is right.
(b) For grocery money.
(c) To make David's mother angry.
(d) To start a new business.
2. At the end of "Chapter 5," what does David realize about himself?
(a) He sat down.
(b) He is crying.
(c) He is running.
(d) He is tired.
3. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The car.
(c) The couch.
(d) The porch.
4. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
(a) She runs into the wall instead.
(b) She falls over a chair.
(c) She is arrested.
(d) She breaks her shoulder bone.
5. Why does David say he likes the porch on his new house in "Chapter 2"?
(a) He is allowed out there alone.
(b) Someone carved sayings into the boards.
(c) It is breezy.
(d) He can see the country.
6. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
(a) Beautifully sad.
(b) The best of his childhood.
(c) Quickly passing.
(d) Tortured and troubled.
7. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
(a) He was always in trouble.
(b) There weren't other child around.
(c) He wanted to be near his mother.
(d) He was shy.
8. In "Chapter 4," what is Aunt Mae promoted to at work?
(c) Field operator.
9. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor warn about men overseas in the war?
(a) They are sinners.
(b) They find foreign wives.
(c) They lose their value in this country.
(d) They are killing other.
10. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because he is sleeping.
(b) Because the lock is stuck.
(c) Because she is leaning on the door.
(d) Because it locks on her side of the door.
11. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
(a) Because there is clay in the ground.
(b) Because he is getting older.
(c) Because he wants to turn a profit.
(d) Because the plow breaks.
12. Why does Aunt Mae go to the movie theater on Saturdays?
(a) To play music.
(b) To meet men.
(c) For her new job.
(d) To see the latest movie.
13. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
(a) Because he wants to give her something too.
(b) Because he doesn't want it at school.
(c) Because it's the only one she could grow.
(d) Because it smells good.
14. What does David say made Aunt Mae stand out in his small town?
(a) The books she read.
(b) The religion she practiced.
(c) The way she dressed.
(d) The way she stayed inside.
15. Why does Mrs. Watkins make David stand up in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because his hair is messy.
(b) Because his homework is late.
(c) Because his pants are wet.
(d) Because he is the last student to sit down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David say he did to Bruce and his friends while he was crying?
2. What is David's response in "Chapter 2" after learning his father wants him to help with the crops?
3. When does David's family go see Bobbie Lee Taylor speak?
4. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
5. Who finds work at the propeller factory?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)