|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
(a) They move back overseas.
(b) They lose their religion.
(c) They don't make any money.
(d) They sleep a lot.
2. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
(a) Because he wants to give her something too.
(b) Because it smells good.
(c) Because it's the only one she could grow.
(d) Because he doesn't want it at school.
3. Why does David visit the courthouse with Mrs. Moore?
(a) To pay for Aunt Mae's ticket.
(b) To be part of a play.
(c) To help his father with money.
(d) To speak to a judge.
4. In "Chapter 3," why does Mrs. Watkins slap David?
(a) Because he won't stand up.
(b) Because he burps.
(c) Because his pants are wet.
(d) Because he talks back.
5. In "Chapter 1," what does David say lights up the night during his train ride?
(c) Cars' headlights.
6. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
(a) Because the plow breaks.
(b) Because he wants to turn a profit.
(c) Because he is getting older.
(d) Because there is clay in the ground.
7. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
(a) A cat.
(b) A rake.
(c) A plow.
(d) His clothing.
8. What does Aunt Mae pack David's lunches in?
(a) Her old purse.
(c) Brown bags.
(d) Plastic bags.
9. What does Mrs. Watkins's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a painter.
(b) He is a reporter.
(c) He is a mechanic.
(d) He is a deacon.
10. When is David's father drafted?
(a) Once the war started.
(b) Near the end of the war.
(c) His father isn't drafted.
(d) Before the war begins.
11. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
(a) Throws up.
(b) Covers his nose.
(d) Breathes it in deeply.
12. How does the local preacher feel about the Evangelist revival in "Chapter 4"?
(a) He looks forward to it.
(b) He doesn't like it.
(c) He doesn't know it's in town.
(d) He wants to approve it first.
13. What is wrong with Aunt Mae's breakfast in "Chapter 3"?
(a) It fell on the floor.
(b) She is sick when she makes it.
(c) It is poorly prepared.
(d) It got cold.
14. In "Chapter 3," why does David stop on the way to school to write?
(a) Because he wants to write a note to a friend.
(b) Because he forgot his homework.
(c) Because he wants to write a novel.
(d) Because someone asked him to write a song.
15. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
(a) It is full of junk.
(b) The lights won't turn on.
(c) The door doesn't lock.
(d) It is missing a window pane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
2. In "Chapter 2," how does David lose a tooth?
3. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
4. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
5. What does everyone at the factory party ask Aunt Mae to do?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)