|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
(a) George opened a car wash.
(b) George started dating her sister.
(c) George moved away.
(d) George went back to college.
2. Why does David visit the courthouse with Mrs. Moore?
(a) To help his father with money.
(b) To pay for Aunt Mae's ticket.
(c) To be part of a play.
(d) To speak to a judge.
3. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
(a) The general contractor.
(b) The women who work there.
(c) David's mother.
(d) Aunt Mae.
4. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
(a) He dislikes her.
(b) He is afraid of her.
(c) He is pleased with her.
(d) He doesn't know her well.
5. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
(a) He wanted to be near his mother.
(b) There weren't other child around.
(c) He was shy.
(d) He was always in trouble.
6. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
(a) That she is sorry.
(b) That he'll be punished.
(c) To call her husband.
(d) Not to tell anyone.
7. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because he rarely saw her.
(b) Because they were different.
(c) Because she was hard to know.
(d) Because he was afraid of her.
8. While David's father is at war, what does his mother do around the house?
(a) Rents out a room.
(b) Takes care of the crops.
(c) Sleeps a lot.
(d) Makes bread to sell.
9. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
(a) Because she is afraid.
(b) Because she doesn't have money.
(c) Because she falls asleep.
(d) Because Aunt Mae helps her instead.
10. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
(a) Because he was going to go there that weekend.
(b) Because they wanted to visit there.
(c) Because he's trying to think of something else.
(d) Because of his fond memories there.
11. Why is Bobbie Lee Taylor's name well known in "Chapter 4"?
(a) He is running for mayor.
(b) He makes radio appearances.
(c) It isn't well known.
(d) It is all over flyers in town.
12. What is the first thing David thinks of when he hears his father died?
(a) The train.
(b) His face.
(c) His fight with David's mother.
(d) His plot of land.
13. Why does Mrs. Watkins use her husband as a threat against her students?
(a) Because of his strength.
(b) Because of his reputation.
(c) Because of his violent past.
(d) Because of his size.
14. What does the train ride in "Chapter 1" remind David of?
(a) His birthday.
(b) Christmas as a child.
(c) A book he read as a child.
(d) Traveling with his father.
15. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) He says he has been injured.
(b) He is in a dangerous country.
(c) She receives a medal in the mail.
(d) He hasn't written in a while.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Watkins make David stand up in "Chapter 3"?
2. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
3. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
4. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
5. What does Aunt Mae pack David's lunches in?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)