|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
(a) Because she falls asleep.
(b) Because Aunt Mae helps her instead.
(c) Because she doesn't have money.
(d) Because she is afraid.
2. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Breaks up.
(b) Plays wedding receptions.
(c) Finds new members.
(d) Plays for a party at David's house.
3. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
(a) He was David's friend.
(b) When her car broke down.
(c) At the movies.
(d) On a walk.
4. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
(a) They were robbed before they moved.
(b) They sold their furniture to make money.
(c) The new house is larger than the old one.
(d) The rented their furniture with the house.
5. Why does Aunt Mae spend less time at home after the factory party?
(a) She is embarassed.
(b) She picks up extra shifts.
(c) She is trying to find a new job.
(d) She starts singing with a band.
6. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
(a) Breathes it in deeply.
(b) Covers his nose.
(d) Throws up.
7. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her voice.
(d) Her attitude.
8. In "Chapter 5," what grade is David in?
(a) Seventh grade.
(b) Fourth grade.
(c) Fifth grade.
(d) Sixth grade.
9. Why does David say he likes the porch on his new house in "Chapter 2"?
(a) It is breezy.
(b) He can see the country.
(c) He is allowed out there alone.
(d) Someone carved sayings into the boards.
10. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because she was losing her mind.
(b) Because he couldn't count.
(c) Because he was small.
(d) Because he didn't talk much.
11. How does David know his first grade teacher before school begins?
(a) His mother plays cards with her.
(b) She was his pre-school teacher.
(c) He goes to her church.
(d) They used to be neighbors.
12. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
(a) Because he is getting older.
(b) Because there is clay in the ground.
(c) Because he wants to turn a profit.
(d) Because the plow breaks.
13. What does Aunt Mae admit when walking home from the factory party?
(a) She should have calmed down at the party.
(b) She likes dancing all night.
(c) She could be happy in the hills.
(d) She misses George.
14. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
(a) George started dating her sister.
(b) George opened a car wash.
(c) George moved away.
(d) George went back to college.
15. What does Mrs. Watkins threaten to do to David in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Call the authorities.
(b) Kick him out of school.
(c) Make him move all the desks.
(d) Hit him with a ruler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Mae say when questioned about why she didn't go on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
2. In "Chapter 3," what leftovers does David find in his lunch?
3. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
4. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
5. In "Chapter 2," how does David lose a tooth?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)