|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
(a) The couch.
(b) The car.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The porch.
2. How does David say Aunt Mae met George?
(a) When her car broke down.
(b) At the movies.
(c) On a walk.
(d) He was David's friend.
3. Who finds work at the propeller factory?
(b) Young men.
(c) Unemployed mechanics.
(d) Mostly women.
4. How does David's mother fall down the stairs in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Aunt Mae shoves her.
(b) David's father knocks her down.
(c) She falls while sleepwalking.
(d) She trips on her way up.
5. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because he couldn't count.
(b) Because he didn't talk much.
(c) Because he was small.
(d) Because she was losing her mind.
6. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because she is leaning on the door.
(b) Because the lock is stuck.
(c) Because it locks on her side of the door.
(d) Because he is sleeping.
7. In "Chapter 4," why are the mechanic shops closed?
(a) There is an economic depression.
(b) Few people drive cars.
(c) There is a shortage of parts.
(d) The men are at war.
8. In "Chapter 2," what does David's mother insist his father return to the store in town?
9. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
(a) Aunt Mae's singing.
(b) His father's crying.
(c) The weather.
(d) His mother's attitude.
10. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
(a) Because he was going to go there that weekend.
(b) Because of his fond memories there.
(c) Because he's trying to think of something else.
(d) Because they wanted to visit there.
11. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
(a) The best of his childhood.
(b) Tortured and troubled.
(c) Beautifully sad.
(d) Quickly passing.
12. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
(a) Bruce made him eat dirt.
(b) Bruce handcuffed him to a chair.
(c) Bruce threw his hat in the water.
(d) Bruce kicked him out of the house.
13. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Plays for a party at David's house.
(b) Breaks up.
(c) Plays wedding receptions.
(d) Finds new members.
14. What does Mrs. Watkins's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a reporter.
(b) He is a deacon.
(c) He is a painter.
(d) He is a mechanic.
15. Why does David say it was strange for Aunt Mae to become his best friend?
(a) Because they were different.
(b) Because she was hard to know.
(c) Because he rarely saw her.
(d) Because he was afraid of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
2. What is wrong with Aunt Mae's breakfast in "Chapter 3"?
3. Why does Mrs. Watkins use her husband as a threat against her students?
4. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
5. Why does Mrs. Watkins make David stand up in "Chapter 3"?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)