|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because he couldn't count.
(b) Because he didn't talk much.
(c) Because she was losing her mind.
(d) Because he was small.
2. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
(a) Because he's trying to think of something else.
(b) Because of his fond memories there.
(c) Because he was going to go there that weekend.
(d) Because they wanted to visit there.
3. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
(a) To recommit to their religion.
(b) To ask questions.
(c) To shake his hand.
(d) To lead the crowd in prayers.
4. How does David know his first grade teacher before school begins?
(a) He goes to her church.
(b) His mother plays cards with her.
(c) She was his pre-school teacher.
(d) They used to be neighbors.
5. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
(a) Because he is getting older.
(b) Because there is clay in the ground.
(c) Because he wants to turn a profit.
(d) Because the plow breaks.
6. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
(a) They sleep a lot.
(b) They don't make any money.
(c) They lose their religion.
(d) They move back overseas.
7. Why does Aunt Mae spend less time at home after the factory party?
(a) She picks up extra shifts.
(b) She is embarassed.
(c) She is trying to find a new job.
(d) She starts singing with a band.
8. What does Aunt Mae admit when walking home from the factory party?
(a) She could be happy in the hills.
(b) She should have calmed down at the party.
(c) She likes dancing all night.
(d) She misses George.
9. What is David's response in "Chapter 2" after learning his father wants him to help with the crops?
(a) David wants to return to school.
(b) David can't wait to help.
(c) David pretends to be sick.
(d) David wants to start his own farm.
10. How does David feel about his teacher, Mrs. Moore?
(a) He is pleased with her.
(b) He dislikes her.
(c) He is afraid of her.
(d) He doesn't know her well.
11. In "Chapter 3," why does Mrs. Watkins slap David?
(a) Because he won't stand up.
(b) Because he talks back.
(c) Because he burps.
(d) Because his pants are wet.
12. What does David say he did to Bruce and his friends while he was crying?
(a) He puked on them.
(b) He hit Bruce.
(c) He threw rocks at them.
(d) He ran away.
13. What does Aunt Mae pack David's lunches in?
(a) Her old purse.
(c) Brown bags.
(d) Plastic bags.
14. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
(a) His mother told him.
(b) An article in the paper.
(c) Through a letter.
(d) A phone call.
15. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because she is leaning on the door.
(b) Because he is sleeping.
(c) Because it locks on her side of the door.
(d) Because the lock is stuck.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
2. Why does the house David and his family move into in "Chapter 2" have little furniture?
3. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
4. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
5. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)