|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David know his first grade teacher before school begins?
(a) She was his pre-school teacher.
(b) His mother plays cards with her.
(c) They used to be neighbors.
(d) He goes to her church.
2. What does Mrs. Watkins threaten to do to David in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Hit him with a ruler.
(b) Kick him out of school.
(c) Make him move all the desks.
(d) Call the authorities.
3. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
(a) The couch.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The car.
(d) The porch.
4. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) He is in a dangerous country.
(b) He says he has been injured.
(c) He hasn't written in a while.
(d) She receives a medal in the mail.
5. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor warn about men overseas in the war?
(a) They are sinners.
(b) They find foreign wives.
(c) They are killing other.
(d) They lose their value in this country.
6. In "Chapter 1," what does David say lights up the night during his train ride?
(d) Cars' headlights.
7. What does David say about his emotions when he first learns his father died?
(a) He has never been more sad.
(b) He feels bad for his mother.
(c) He can't think about his emotions.
(d) He doesn't know how to feel.
8. Why does Mrs. Watkins say David is a troublemaker?
(a) She thinks he dislikes her.
(b) She catches him cheating.
(c) She dislikes Aunt Mae.
(d) She sees him steal from another student.
9. While David's father is at war, what does his mother do around the house?
(a) Makes bread to sell.
(b) Takes care of the crops.
(c) Sleeps a lot.
(d) Rents out a room.
10. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
(a) Bruce kicked him out of the house.
(b) Bruce threw his hat in the water.
(c) Bruce handcuffed him to a chair.
(d) Bruce made him eat dirt.
11. In "Chapter 3," why does David stop on the way to school to write?
(a) Because someone asked him to write a song.
(b) Because he forgot his homework.
(c) Because he wants to write a note to a friend.
(d) Because he wants to write a novel.
12. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
(a) Aunt Mae.
(b) David's mother.
(c) The general contractor.
(d) The women who work there.
13. In "Chapter 4," why are the mechanic shops closed?
(a) The men are at war.
(b) There is an economic depression.
(c) There is a shortage of parts.
(d) Few people drive cars.
14. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
(a) To honor their country.
(b) To save their money.
(c) To remember their religion.
(d) To avoid foreign women.
15. Why does David say he didn't get the name of the last town his train passed in "Chapter 1"?
(a) The train was moving too fast.
(b) He was sleeping.
(c) They didn't pass a town.
(d) He wasn't interested.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," why does Mrs. Watkins slap David?
2. What does David say happened to him when Bruce and his friends found him crying?
3. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
4. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
5. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)