|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
(a) It is full of junk.
(b) The door doesn't lock.
(c) It is missing a window pane.
(d) The lights won't turn on.
2. Why does David say Aunt Mae wanted him to stay home from school one more year when he was five?
(a) Because she was losing her mind.
(b) Because he didn't talk much.
(c) Because he was small.
(d) Because he couldn't count.
3. In "Chapter 3," what leftovers does David find in his lunch?
(c) Hush puppies.
4. What does David say about his emotions when he first learns his father died?
(a) He doesn't know how to feel.
(b) He can't think about his emotions.
(c) He feels bad for his mother.
(d) He has never been more sad.
5. Why can't David unlock the door when Mrs. Watkins demands in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because she is leaning on the door.
(b) Because the lock is stuck.
(c) Because it locks on her side of the door.
(d) Because he is sleeping.
6. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
(a) To shake his hand.
(b) To ask questions.
(c) To recommit to their religion.
(d) To lead the crowd in prayers.
7. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) He is in a dangerous country.
(b) She receives a medal in the mail.
(c) He hasn't written in a while.
(d) He says he has been injured.
8. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
(a) She breaks her shoulder bone.
(b) She is arrested.
(c) She falls over a chair.
(d) She runs into the wall instead.
9. In "Chapter 4," why are the mechanic shops closed?
(a) The men are at war.
(b) There is an economic depression.
(c) Few people drive cars.
(d) There is a shortage of parts.
10. What does Aunt Mae pack David's lunches in?
(a) Plastic bags.
(c) Her old purse.
(d) Brown bags.
11. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
(a) They don't make any money.
(b) They move back overseas.
(c) They lose their religion.
(d) They sleep a lot.
12. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
(a) He was shy.
(b) He was always in trouble.
(c) He wanted to be near his mother.
(d) There weren't other child around.
13. What does Mrs. Watkins threaten to do to David in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Hit him with a ruler.
(b) Call the authorities.
(c) Make him move all the desks.
(d) Kick him out of school.
14. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor warn about men overseas in the war?
(a) They find foreign wives.
(b) They are killing other.
(c) They lose their value in this country.
(d) They are sinners.
15. In "Chapter 3," what does Aunt Mae make for breakfast?
(a) Cereal and oatmeal.
(b) Ham and biscuits.
(c) Eggs and bacon.
(d) Biscuits and eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Mae admit when walking home from the factory party?
2. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
3. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
4. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
5. How does Aunt Mae feel about David returning her flower?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)