|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in the first grade, what does David analyze about Mrs. Watkins in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her accent.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her clothing.
2. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
(a) Bruce kicked him out of the house.
(b) Bruce threw his hat in the water.
(c) Bruce made him eat dirt.
(d) Bruce handcuffed him to a chair.
3. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
(b) Throws up.
(c) Breathes it in deeply.
(d) Covers his nose.
4. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
(a) Next to the factory.
(b) To the city.
(c) In with his grandmother.
(d) To the hills.
5. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
(a) When he was in the first grade.
(b) In the eighth grade.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) About seventeen.
6. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
(a) The towns.
(b) The trees.
(c) People getting on the train.
7. Where does David sleep at the end of "Chapter 2"?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The porch.
(c) The couch.
(d) The car.
8. In "Chapter 4," what is Aunt Mae promoted to at work?
(d) Field operator.
9. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
(a) To remember their religion.
(b) To avoid foreign women.
(c) To honor their country.
(d) To save their money.
10. Why does Aunt Mae spend less time at home after the factory party?
(a) She is embarassed.
(b) She picks up extra shifts.
(c) She starts singing with a band.
(d) She is trying to find a new job.
11. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
(a) Because she falls asleep.
(b) Because she doesn't have money.
(c) Because Aunt Mae helps her instead.
(d) Because she is afraid.
12. In "Chapter 3," what leftovers does David find in his lunch?
(c) Hush puppies.
13. Why does David return the flower to Aunt Mae?
(a) Because he doesn't want it at school.
(b) Because it's the only one she could grow.
(c) Because it smells good.
(d) Because he wants to give her something too.
14. What color is the flower Aunt Mae packs in David's lunch?
15. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) She receives a medal in the mail.
(b) He hasn't written in a while.
(c) He says he has been injured.
(d) He is in a dangerous country.
Short Answer Questions
1. While David's father is at war, what does his mother do around the house?
2. In "Chapter 3," why does David stop on the way to school to write?
3. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
4. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
5. Why does David's father sell the seeds in "Chapter 3"?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)