|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "Chapter 5," what does David realize about himself?
(a) He is crying.
(b) He is running.
(c) He is tired.
(d) He sat down.
2. Why does David visit the courthouse with Mrs. Moore?
(a) To help his father with money.
(b) To be part of a play.
(c) To speak to a judge.
(d) To pay for Aunt Mae's ticket.
3. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
(a) He wanted to be near his mother.
(b) He was always in trouble.
(c) He was shy.
(d) There weren't other child around.
4. Why does Mrs. Watkins use her husband as a threat against her students?
(a) Because of his reputation.
(b) Because of his strength.
(c) Because of his violent past.
(d) Because of his size.
5. What does David say happened to him when Bruce and his friends found him crying?
(a) They beat him up.
(b) They tossed him in the river.
(c) They took him home.
(d) They told his dad.
6. What is wrong with Aunt Mae's breakfast in "Chapter 3"?
(a) It got cold.
(b) It fell on the floor.
(c) It is poorly prepared.
(d) She is sick when she makes it.
7. What was George charged with that sent him to prison?
(a) A battery charge.
(b) A robbery charge.
(c) A tax evasion charge.
(d) A morals charge.
8. When David sees his father off at the train station in "Chapter 4," what strikes him most?
(a) His mother's attitude.
(b) His father's crying.
(c) The weather.
(d) Aunt Mae's singing.
9. How does David say he learned that George was arrested?
(a) An article in the paper.
(b) A phone call.
(c) His mother told him.
(d) Through a letter.
10. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
(b) The trees.
(c) The towns.
(d) People getting on the train.
11. What color is the flower Aunt Mae packs in David's lunch?
12. What does David say happened to George after he and Aunt Mae broke up?
(a) George started dating her sister.
(b) George went back to college.
(c) George opened a car wash.
(d) George moved away.
13. Who does David tell about thinking Mrs. Watkins is cross-eyed?
(a) Aunt Mae.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) Mrs. Watkins.
14. How does David's mother learn that David's father died in the war?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A phone call.
(c) A visit from his superior.
(d) A letter.
15. In "Chapter 3," what does David's father sell along with some seeds?
(a) A cat.
(b) A rake.
(c) A plow.
(d) His clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do they make a dance floor in the factory for the party?
2. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
3. Why does Aunt Mae spend less time at home after the factory party?
4. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
5. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)