|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aunt Mae spend less time at home after the factory party?
(a) She is trying to find a new job.
(b) She picks up extra shifts.
(c) She starts singing with a band.
(d) She is embarassed.
2. In "Chapter 1," how does David describe his years before starting school?
(a) Beautifully sad.
(b) The best of his childhood.
(c) Tortured and troubled.
(d) Quickly passing.
3. What does Aunt Mae pack David's lunches in?
(a) Brown bags.
(b) Plastic bags.
(c) Her old purse.
4. How old does David say he was when he learned the truth about George?
(a) In the eighth grade.
(b) When he was in the first grade.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) About seventeen.
5. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor tell the women to write in letters to their husbands who are overseas in the war?
(a) To honor their country.
(b) To remember their religion.
(c) To save their money.
(d) To avoid foreign women.
6. What does David remember Bruce doing the first time they play together?
(a) Bruce handcuffed him to a chair.
(b) Bruce threw his hat in the water.
(c) Bruce kicked him out of the house.
(d) Bruce made him eat dirt.
7. What color is the flower Aunt Mae packs in David's lunch?
8. What does David think is strange about the room Mrs. Watkins takes him to in "Chapter 3"?
(a) The lights won't turn on.
(b) It is missing a window pane.
(c) The door doesn't lock.
(d) It is full of junk.
9. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
(a) To the hills.
(b) In with his grandmother.
(c) To the city.
(d) Next to the factory.
10. In "Chapter 3," what leftovers does David find in his lunch?
(a) Hush puppies.
11. In "Chapter 4," why are the mechanic shops closed?
(a) There is a shortage of parts.
(b) Few people drive cars.
(c) There is an economic depression.
(d) The men are at war.
12. What does David do the first time he smells Mrs. Watkins' breath?
(a) Covers his nose.
(b) Breathes it in deeply.
(d) Throws up.
13. In "Chapter 3," why does Mrs. Watkins slap David?
(a) Because his pants are wet.
(b) Because he talks back.
(c) Because he burps.
(d) Because he won't stand up.
14. When the Evangelist revival comes to town in "Chapter 4," how long has it been since the last revival?
(a) Over a year.
(b) A few months.
(c) About five years.
(d) It's the first revival.
15. What does the band that plays at the factory party do when the war is over?
(a) Plays wedding receptions.
(b) Finds new members.
(c) Breaks up.
(d) Plays for a party at David's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
2. Why does David say he would stay inside and play with his train as a child?
3. What does Bobbie Lee Taylor say happens when the men who are overseas come home?
4. In "Chapter 3," what happens to Mrs. Watkins when she tries to knock the door down?
5. Why does David say it was difficult to play near his new house?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)