|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Watkins tell David when the ambulance takes her away after trying to break down the door?
(a) That he'll be punished.
(b) That she is sorry.
(c) Not to tell anyone.
(d) To call her husband.
2. How does David know his first grade teacher before school begins?
(a) She was his pre-school teacher.
(b) He goes to her church.
(c) His mother plays cards with her.
(d) They used to be neighbors.
3. Why does David say he likes the porch on his new house in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Someone carved sayings into the boards.
(b) It is breezy.
(c) He is allowed out there alone.
(d) He can see the country.
4. What does Aunt Mae admit when walking home from the factory party?
(a) She likes dancing all night.
(b) She misses George.
(c) She could be happy in the hills.
(d) She should have calmed down at the party.
5. In "Chapter 4," who asks Aunt Mae about why she didn't go up on Bobbie Lee Taylor's stage?
(a) A woman.
(c) Bobbie Lee Taylor.
(d) A young boy.
6. What does David say about his emotions when he first learns his father died?
(a) He doesn't know how to feel.
(b) He can't think about his emotions.
(c) He has never been more sad.
(d) He feels bad for his mother.
7. Why does David's mother worry about his father in "Chapter 5"?
(a) He is in a dangerous country.
(b) She receives a medal in the mail.
(c) He hasn't written in a while.
(d) He says he has been injured.
8. Who throws the party at the factory in "Chapter 5"?
(a) The general contractor.
(b) Aunt Mae.
(c) David's mother.
(d) The women who work there.
9. When the Evangelist revival comes to town in "Chapter 4," how long has it been since the last revival?
(a) It's the first revival.
(b) A few months.
(c) Over a year.
(d) About five years.
10. In "Chapter 2," why doesn't David's mother see a doctor when she needs one?
(a) Because she falls asleep.
(b) Because Aunt Mae helps her instead.
(c) Because she doesn't have money.
(d) Because she is afraid.
11. Why does David think about the beach when he learns his father died?
(a) Because he was going to go there that weekend.
(b) Because of his fond memories there.
(c) Because they wanted to visit there.
(d) Because he's trying to think of something else.
12. At the end of "Chapter 1," what does David watch out his train window?
(a) The trees.
(c) The towns.
(d) People getting on the train.
13. Why does everyone clear off the floor when Aunt Mae begins dancing in "Chapter 5"?
(a) Because she is a terrible dancer.
(b) Because she says to stop the music.
(c) Because she kicks them off.
(d) Because she is dancing well.
14. What does the preacher schedule for the nights that the Evangelist revival is in town?
(a) Candlelight vigils.
(b) Bible conferences.
(d) Welcome parties.
15. What makes Aunt Mae stand out during the factory party?
(a) Her attitude.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her family.
(d) Her voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David's mother fall down the stairs in "Chapter 2"?
2. Where do David and his family move after his father loses his job?
3. In "Chapter 2," why does David's father need help in the fields?
4. Why does Aunt Mae go to the movie theater on Saturdays?
5. Why does Bobbie Lee Taylor invite people on stage with him?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)