|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the former POWs recall having told them about the tank at the fish shop in Section 4, Chapter 5?
2. How does Lizard Brancussi commit suicide in Section 4, Chapter 4?
3. What word from Section 3 refers to a person who leads an austerely simple life dedicated to the pursuit of contemplative ideals?
4. Who is the orderly that assists Dorrigo in the medical tent in Section 3, Chapter 17?
5. By what method are the Goanna and other prisoners executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Dorrigo to rush to Fern Tree in Section 5, Chapter 11?
2. How is Dorrigo's death described in Section 5, Chapter 17? Where does he die?
3. How is the setting of Chagi's P Hall described in Section 4, Chapter 8?
4. What happens when Dorrigo departs the home of Jack Rainbow's widow in Section 4, Chapter 13?
5. Whom does Nakamura pay a visit to in Section 5, Chapter 2? Why?
6. What circumstances does the Goanna face in Section 4, Chapter 3?
7. Where is Nakamura living in the beginning of Section 4, Chapter 1? How are his circumstances described?
8. What does Tomokawa remark about the war and the treatment of prisoners in Section 5, Chapter 5?
9. How does John Menadue describe his visit to Les Whittle's widow in Section 4, Chapter 11?
10. How are the lives of the POWs described after they return home from the war in Section 4, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of Rabbit’s sketchbook following his death in the novel. Who places the sketchbook into the cremation fire? Who takes the sketchbook when it “leaps” from the flames? What does this object come to mean to that character?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of “conservative humanism.” Why is Dorrigo labeled a conservative humanist? What does this label mean? Do you agree with the viewpoints of conservative humanism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of cultural contrasts, loyalty, and patriotism in the novel. How would you describe the cultural differences between the Japanese soldiers and the Australian soldiers in the narrative? How does Dorrigo perceive the loyalty of the English soldiers at the nearby camp? How are the concepts of loyalty and patriotism illustrated in the novel?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)