|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Dorrigo receive a letter at the POW camp in Section 5, Chapter 18?
2. What physical problem has Amy developed in Section 5, Chapter 10?
3. What is described as the only lie that Ella tells Dorrigo in the novel?
4. How does Dorrigo begin his journey to visit Jack Rainbow's widow in Section 4, Chapter 11?
5. What physical attribute of Ella's does Dorrigo dislike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorrigo's visit with Jack Rainbow's widow described in Section 4, Chapter 12?
2. What prevents Rooster MacNeice from speaking up for Darky in Section 3, Chapter 19?
3. How do the prisoners react when they are forced to watch as Darky Gardiner is killed in Section 3, Chapters 20-21?
4. Where and how does Darky Gardiner encounter Rooster MacNeice in Section 3, Chapter 14?
5. How are Nakamura's circumstances described in Section 4, Chapter 9? Where does he work?
6. What circumstances does the Goanna face in Section 4, Chapter 3?
7. How are the lives of the POWs described after they return home from the war in Section 4, Chapter 4?
8. How does the Goanna feel about his past actions in Section 4, Chapter 3?
9. What does Tomokawa remark about the war and the treatment of prisoners in Section 5, Chapter 5?
10. What are Amy's current circumstances like in Section 5, Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of romantic and sexual longing in The Narrow Road to the Deep North. How are these themes connected to Dorrigo? What choices does Dorrigo make in the story based on romantic and/or sexual longing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear structure and narrative style of The Narrow Road to the Deep North. Is the narrator of the story involved in the action? Why do you think that the author chooses to relate the narrative in this manner? How does the author indicate the transitions back and forth through time? How is the structure of the story affected by its nonlinear narrative style?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Major Nakamura and Colonel Kota in the novel. How are Kota and Nakamura similar? How are they different? What are the overall objectives of each of these characters?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)