|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Section 3 refers to a person who leads an austerely simple life dedicated to the pursuit of contemplative ideals?
2. What was the Goanna found guilty of during his trial in Section 4?
3. What does Jack Rainbow's widow unexpectedly ask Dorrigo if he believes in, in Section 4, Chapter 12?
4. How many children does Jack Rainbow's widow say she and Jack had in Section 4, Chapter 12?
5. From whom does Dorrigo receive a letter at the POW camp in Section 5, Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the letter for Dorrigo from Ella in Section 5, Chapter 18?
2. Where and how does Darky Gardiner encounter Rooster MacNeice in Section 3, Chapter 14?
3. How is Dorrigo's visit with Jack Rainbow's widow described in Section 4, Chapter 12?
4. What are Amy's current circumstances like in Section 5, Chapter 10?
5. How does the Goanna feel about his past actions in Section 4, Chapter 3?
6. What happens when Dorrigo departs the home of Jack Rainbow's widow in Section 4, Chapter 13?
7. How is Nakamura's death described in Section 5, Chapter 5? What final haiku has he written?
8. Where does Nakamura apply for a job in Section 4, Chapter 10? Who hires him?
9. How are Nakamura's circumstances described in Section 4, Chapter 9? Where does he work?
10. What causes Dorrigo to rush to Fern Tree in Section 5, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s depictions of gender in The Narrow Road to the Deep North. What were gender expectations like for women in the 1940s when the novel takes place? Do you think that the women in the story adhere to those gender standards? Why or why not? Are the women in the novel portrayed as three-dimensionally as the men?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Amy and Ella in the novel. How are Amy and Ella different? How are they similar? What attracts Dorrigo to each of these women?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of culpability, responsibility, and history in the novel. Do you think that the Japanese characters in the story accept their culpability for the horrors visited on the POWs? Why or why not? How does the Goanna view his own responsibility for the crimes he is convicted of?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)