|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What health problem does Dorrigo learn that Tom has recently experienced in Section 5, Chapter 8?
2. Where does Dorrigo find Jack Rainbow's wife working when he reaches her home in Section 4, Chapter 11?
3. From whom does Dorrigo receive a letter at the POW camp in Section 5, Chapter 18?
4. How many children does Jack Rainbow's widow say she and Jack had in Section 4, Chapter 12?
5. How does Jack Rainbow die in Section 3, Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the prisoners react when they are forced to watch as Darky Gardiner is killed in Section 3, Chapters 20-21?
2. How is Dorrigo's visit with Jack Rainbow's widow described in Section 4, Chapter 12?
3. What are Amy's current circumstances like in Section 5, Chapter 10?
4. What is revealed in the letter for Dorrigo from Ella in Section 5, Chapter 18?
5. How is Nakamura's death described in Section 5, Chapter 5? What final haiku has he written?
6. How is Dorrigo's death described in Section 5, Chapter 17? Where does he die?
7. What stops Colonel Kota from beheading Darky in Section 3, Chapter 15?
8. What is discovered when Colonel Kota orders the prisoners to be counted in Section 3, Chapter 19?
9. Whom does Nakamura pay a visit to in Section 5, Chapter 2? Why?
10. How is the setting of Chagi's P Hall described in Section 4, Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting established in Section 1, Chapters 1-2. What town does Dorrigo’s family live in? How big is it? How important is the setting to the story? What is the importance of this setting to Dorrigo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Yasukuni Shrine and the Book of Souls. How many individuals are memorialized in the Book of Souls? How many of these individuals were found guilty of war crimes? What do you think is the significance of the author’s allusion to this memorial?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hitler’s role in World War II, the political views of Hitler and those seen in the Japanese Empire, and the depiction of Hitler and Nazism in The Narrow Road to the Deep North. When did Hitler write Mein Kampf? What ideologies are described in this work? Why is Rooster MacNeice reading and memorizing this book?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)