|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encouraged Amy to have an abortion when she became pregnant out of wedlock?
2. Why is Darky Gardiner beaten by the POW guard in the beginning of Section 3, Chapter 4?
3. Whom had Dorrigo seen kissing Jackie Maguire's wife before she disappeared in Section 1, Chapter 2?
4. Who falls blind due to malnutrition and disease in Section 1, Chapter 15?
5. Who is the guard that beats Tiny when he collapses in Section 3, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorrigo's relationship with Tom described in the beginning of the novel?
2. What does the reader learn about Dorrigo's later life in Section 2, Chapter 5?
3. How are Amy's circumstances described in Section 2, Chapter 15? What internal conflicts is she grappling with?
4. What symbolic event occurs on the beach in Section 2, Chapter 17?
5. In Section 2, Colonel Kota pulls Nakamura close and utters a few choked words, including “men” and “love.” Kota then “hoped he had been misunderstood.” What has been shared in this exchange?
6. Whose 18th century death poem does Dorrigo contemplate in Section 1, Chapter 10? What is remarked about the poem?
7. How has Darky Gardiner come into possession of a duck egg in Section 3, Chapter 1?
8. How is Dorrigo's meeting with Keith described in Section 2, Chapter 9?
9. How are Dorrigo's circumstances described in Section 1, Chapter 11? What is Dorrigo's position?
10. What do Dorrigo and his men do while awaiting orders in Section 1, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Darky Gardiner in the novel. Where has Darky been discussed prior to his introduction? What has been said about Darky? How old is Darky when he first meets Dorrigo? What does Darky look like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the POW camp in Siam where Dorrigo and his men are imprisoned during World War II. How many prisoners are held at the camp? What are the conditions like for the prisoners? What is the historical significance of this camp?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of cultural contrasts, loyalty, and patriotism in the novel. How would you describe the cultural differences between the Japanese soldiers and the Australian soldiers in the narrative? How does Dorrigo perceive the loyalty of the English soldiers at the nearby camp? How are the concepts of loyalty and patriotism illustrated in the novel?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)