|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman in bed with Dorrigo in Section 2, Chapter 5?
2. What word from Section 2 refers to a violent and noisy commotion or uproar?
3. Where does the Death Railroad begin when Dorrigo arrives with other POWs to work on it in Section 1, Chapter 7?
4. Who rouses the POW camp each morning by playing the bugle?
5. What gift does Dorrigo recall giving to Amy before he departed in Section 3, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Tiny Middleton being beaten in Section 3, Chapter 1? How do the prisoners react?
2. How is Rooster MacNeice's relationship with the book Mein Kampf described in Section 3, Chapter 3?
3. How is the character of Tiny Middleton described in Section 3, Chapter 1? What do the other prisoners think of Tiny?
4. Where is Dorrigo in Section 2, Chapter 1? What is he doing in this setting?
5. How would you describe the language style of The Narrow Road to the Deep North?
6. What do Dorrigo and his men do while awaiting orders in Section 1, Chapter 13?
7. How are Dorrigo's circumstances described in Section 1, Chapter 11? What is Dorrigo's position?
8. How are Amy's circumstances described in Section 2, Chapter 15? What internal conflicts is she grappling with?
9. In Section 2, Colonel Kota pulls Nakamura close and utters a few choked words, including “men” and “love.” Kota then “hoped he had been misunderstood.” What has been shared in this exchange?
10. How does Amy describe the beginning of her relationship with Keith in Section 2, Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of cultural contrasts, loyalty, and patriotism in the novel. How would you describe the cultural differences between the Japanese soldiers and the Australian soldiers in the narrative? How does Dorrigo perceive the loyalty of the English soldiers at the nearby camp? How are the concepts of loyalty and patriotism illustrated in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear structure and narrative style of The Narrow Road to the Deep North. Is the narrator of the story involved in the action? Why do you think that the author chooses to relate the narrative in this manner? How does the author indicate the transitions back and forth through time? How is the structure of the story affected by its nonlinear narrative style?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the concept of “conservative humanism.” Why is Dorrigo labeled a conservative humanist? What does this label mean? Do you agree with the viewpoints of conservative humanism? Why or why not?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)