|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dorrigo's uncle that he intends to visit in Section 2, Chapter 1?
2. Which of the men with Dorrigo and Darky is an artist that sketches in his sketchbook as the men await orders in Section 1, Chapter 13?
3. Who sends Dorrigo a postcard at his military assignment in Section 2, Chapter 6?
4. How old is Dorrigo when he takes the Ability Test to attend high school in Section 1, Chapter 3?
5. What is the name of the pub where Dorrigo discovers Amy tending bar in Section 2, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorrigo's relationship with Tom described in the beginning of the novel?
2. What leads to Tiny Middleton being beaten in Section 3, Chapter 1? How do the prisoners react?
3. How does the author depict the Japanese viewpoint of surrender in Section 1, Chapter 14?
4. What internal conflicts does Dorrigo face in Section 2, Chapter 5?
5. What does Dorrigo observe at the prison camp with English prisoners in Section 1 of the novel?
6. What does Colonel Kota remark about the act of beheading in Section 2, Chapter 16?
7. What event leads to the surrender of Dorrigo and his men in Section 1, Chapter 13?
8. What is the "Book of Souls" that is mentioned in The Narrow Road to the Deep North?
9. How is Rooster MacNeice's relationship with the book Mein Kampf described in Section 3, Chapter 3?
10. What are your impressions of Amy's character when she is introduced in Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Australia’s role in World War II. When was the Commonwealth of Australia federated? What is its relationship with the United Kingdom? How many Australians fought in World War II? Where were the majority of the Australians stationed? How many Australians were taken prisoner during the war?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the concept of “conservative humanism.” Why is Dorrigo labeled a conservative humanist? What does this label mean? Do you agree with the viewpoints of conservative humanism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of cultural contrasts, loyalty, and patriotism in the novel. How would you describe the cultural differences between the Japanese soldiers and the Australian soldiers in the narrative? How does Dorrigo perceive the loyalty of the English soldiers at the nearby camp? How are the concepts of loyalty and patriotism illustrated in the novel?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)