|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol comprises Shisui's death poem?
2. Where has Jackie Maguire's wife taken a train in Dorrigo's memory in Section 1, Chapter 2?
3. What does Dorrigo awake to discover that Amy has left for him in Section 2, Chapter 12?
4. How many years have passed since the night that Jackie Maguire came to Dorrigo's family's home when Section 1, Chapter 4 begins?
5. How much time has passed since Dorrigo left to fight in the war in Section 2, Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dorrigo's relationship with Tom described in the beginning of the novel?
2. How is Rooster MacNeice's relationship with the book Mein Kampf described in Section 3, Chapter 3?
3. What does the reader learn about Dorrigo's later life in Section 2, Chapter 5?
4. How are Dorrigo's circumstances described in Section 1, Chapter 11? What is Dorrigo's position?
5. What is Dorrigo's familial relationship with Keith and Amy Mulvaney?
6. Whose 18th century death poem does Dorrigo contemplate in Section 1, Chapter 10? What is remarked about the poem?
7. What is the significance of Rabbit's sketchbook in the novel? What happens to the sketchbook when Rabbit dies in Section 3?
8. In Section 1, Dorrigo recalls an interview during which a journalist asks why Japan was bombed twice. What response does Dorrigo give to the interviewer?
9. What leads to Tiny Middleton being beaten in Section 3, Chapter 1? How do the prisoners react?
10. What event leads to the surrender of Dorrigo and his men in Section 1, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the POW camp in Siam where Dorrigo and his men are imprisoned during World War II. How many prisoners are held at the camp? What are the conditions like for the prisoners? What is the historical significance of this camp?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Jimmy Bigelow, Rabbit Hendricks, and Lizard Brancussi in the novel. What is each of these men’s talent? What attributes stand out for each character? Which of the characters in the novel do you most relate to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Australia’s role in World War II. When was the Commonwealth of Australia federated? What is its relationship with the United Kingdom? How many Australians fought in World War II? Where were the majority of the Australians stationed? How many Australians were taken prisoner during the war?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)