|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is among those cremated in Section 3, Chapter 12?
(a) Jimmy Bigelow.
(b) Dorrigo Evans.
(c) Rabbit Hendricks.
(d) Major Nakamura.
2. Who is Dorrigo's fiancee in Section 1, Chapter 5?
3. Where does Amy get scratched while at the beach in Section 2, Chapter 17?
(a) On her thigh.
(b) On her back.
(c) On her wrist.
(d) On her ankle.
4. What book is Rooster MacNeice memorizing in order to keep his mind sharp in Section 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The Great Gatsby.
(b) The Stranger.
(c) Mein Kampf.
(d) The Sun Also Rises.
5. What does Dorrigo awake to discover that Amy has left for him in Section 2, Chapter 12?
(b) A note.
(c) A ring.
(d) A bottle of champagne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gallipoli von Kessler's nickname in the novel?
2. What does Dorrigo pool together his money to purchase in Section 1, Chapter 16?
3. What word from Section 2 refers to a violent and noisy commotion or uproar?
4. How many duck eggs has Rabbit Hendricks received from the Japanese in Section 3, Chapter 1?
5. Who is the young woman that Dorrigo is involved with that is involved in Melbourne society in Section 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dorrigo and his men do while awaiting orders in Section 1, Chapter 13?
2. How is Dorrigo's relationship with Tom described in the beginning of the novel?
3. How are Dorrigo's circumstances described in Section 1, Chapter 11? What is Dorrigo's position?
4. How would you describe the language style of The Narrow Road to the Deep North?
5. In Section 2, Colonel Kota pulls Nakamura close and utters a few choked words, including “men” and “love.” Kota then “hoped he had been misunderstood.” What has been shared in this exchange?
6. Whose 18th century death poem does Dorrigo contemplate in Section 1, Chapter 10? What is remarked about the poem?
7. How is the character of Tiny Middleton described in Section 3, Chapter 1? What do the other prisoners think of Tiny?
8. What is the "Book of Souls" that is mentioned in The Narrow Road to the Deep North?
9. What leads to Tiny Middleton being beaten in Section 3, Chapter 1? How do the prisoners react?
10. What infraction leads to Darky Gardiner being beaten in Section 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)