|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the men with Dorrigo and Darky is an artist that sketches in his sketchbook as the men await orders in Section 1, Chapter 13?
(a) Jackie Maguire.
(b) Rabbit Hendricks.
(c) Jack Rainbow.
(d) Jimmy Bigelow.
2. What is the greatest obstacle that Dorrigo faces as a surgeon during his time in the POW camp?
(a) His inability to perform under stress.
(b) Not having adequate medical supplies.
(c) His lack of field experience.
(d) Constant micromanagement from the Japanese.
3. What word from Section 2 refers to a violent and noisy commotion or uproar?
4. What prisoner dies of malnutrition and illness in Section 3, Chapter 8?
(a) Jackie Maguire.
(b) Tiny Middleton.
(c) Darky Gardiner.
(d) Colonel Kota.
5. Where does Dorrigo first meet Amy in Section 2, Chapter 1?
(a) In a bookstore.
(b) In a pub.
(c) In an ice-cream parlor.
(d) In a restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Darky's men finds the coffee as the men await orders in Section 1, Chapter 13?
2. How does Amy contact Dorrigo in Section 2, Chapter 26?
3. Why is Sergeant Darky Gardiner's group of machine gunners stranded when Dorrigo encounters them in Section 1, Chapter 12?
4. What gift does Dorrigo recall giving to Amy before he departed in Section 3, Chapter 6?
5. How much time has passed since Dorrigo left to fight in the war in Section 2, Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author depict the Japanese viewpoint of surrender in Section 1, Chapter 14?
2. What infraction leads to Darky Gardiner being beaten in Section 3, Chapter 4?
3. What is the significance of Rabbit's sketchbook in the novel? What happens to the sketchbook when Rabbit dies in Section 3?
4. What do Dorrigo and his men do while awaiting orders in Section 1, Chapter 13?
5. How is Rooster MacNeice's relationship with the book Mein Kampf described in Section 3, Chapter 3?
6. What does Colonel Kota remark about the act of beheading in Section 2, Chapter 16?
7. In Section 2, Colonel Kota pulls Nakamura close and utters a few choked words, including “men” and “love.” Kota then “hoped he had been misunderstood.” What has been shared in this exchange?
8. What is Dorrigo's familial relationship with Keith and Amy Mulvaney?
9. What is the "Book of Souls" that is mentioned in The Narrow Road to the Deep North?
10. How does Amy describe the beginning of her relationship with Keith in Section 2, Chapter 20?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)