|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Section 3 refers to a person who leads an austerely simple life dedicated to the pursuit of contemplative ideals?
2. What health problem does Nakamura discover he has developed in Section 5, Chapter 1?
(a) Throat cancer.
(c) Prostate cancer.
3. Who goes to urge Darky to get up and work before the soldiers return and beat him in Section 3, Chapter 15?
4. How many years has it been since Dorrigo has seen Ella when he returns home in Section 4, Chapter 7?
5. With whom does Amy live in Section 5, Chapter 10?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
6. What does the charity do that Nakamura volunteers for in Section 5, Chapter 1?
(a) Delivers meals to the elderly.
(b) Delivers medical supplies to areas in need.
(c) Researches treatment for polio.
(d) Researches treatment for PTSD.
7. By what method are the Goanna and other prisoners executed?
(b) Lethal injection.
(c) Firing squad.
8. What does Ella announce about Dorrigo to friends in Section 5, Chapter 6?
(a) That Dorrigo is a murderer.
(b) That Dorrigo has been diagnosed with cancer.
(c) That Dorrigo is an adulterer.
(d) That Dorrigo is a lonely man.
9. What is the river in Greek mythology that forms the boundary between Earth and the Underworld?
(a) The Celadon River.
(b) The River Lethe.
(c) The Odyssey River.
(d) The River Styx.
10. Where does Nakamura go to visit a corporal from his platoon in Section 5, Chapter 2?
11. What object is buried with Amy when she dies?
(a) Rabbit's sketchbook.
(b) The pearl necklace.
(c) Her diary.
(d) The diamond ring.
12. What was the Goanna found guilty of during his trial in Section 4?
(a) Acts of a traitorous nature.
(b) Murder and ill-treatment of prisoners.
(c) Rape and murder.
(d) Stealing from the government.
13. Who is the prisoner that finds Darky collapsed near the camp in Section 3, Chapter 16?
14. What year is it when Nakamura gives up his false identity in Section 4, Chapter 10?
15. What do the former POWs do with the fish stolen from the fish shop in Section 4, Chapter 5?
(a) They cook them for dinner.
(b) They release them into the bay.
(c) They dump them in a friend's front yard.
(d) They sell them on the black market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorrigo offer to take to Jack Rainbow's widow in Section 4, Chapter 11?
2. Who is the only one of Nakamura's "old comrades" that he has stayed in touch with regularly in Section 5, Chapter 2?
3. Where is Nakamura living in the beginning of Section 4, Chapter 1?
4. Who is among the witnesses against the Goanna during his trial?
5. Where does Nakamura go after securing false identity papers in Section 4, Chapter 1?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)