|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Dorrigo's uncle that he intends to visit in Section 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Tom Evans.
(b) Jimmy Bigelow.
(c) Keith Mulvaney.
(d) Darky Gardiner.
2. Whom had Dorrigo seen kissing Jackie Maguire's wife before she disappeared in Section 1, Chapter 2?
3. What is Dorrigo's father's profession during Dorrigo's childhood?
(a) He is a butcher.
(b) He is a railway fettler.
(c) He is a doctor.
(d) He is an architect.
4. How many Tasmanian machine gunners are in Sergeant Darky Gardiner's group when Dorrigo encounters them in Section 1, Chapter 12?
5. Where does Dorrigo first meet Amy in Section 2, Chapter 1?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) In an ice-cream parlor.
(c) In a pub.
(d) In a bookstore.
6. Who encouraged Amy to have an abortion when she became pregnant out of wedlock?
7. Who is Dorrigo's fiancee in Section 1, Chapter 5?
8. What year is it when Dorrigo and his fellow POWs arrive in Siam in Section 1, Chapter 7?
9. What is Gallipoli von Kessler's nickname in the novel?
10. Who takes the sketchbook that falls out of the fire in Section 3, Chapter 13?
(a) Rooster MacNeice.
(b) Dorrigo Evans.
(c) Colonel Kota.
(d) Jack Rainbow.
11. What does Amy take off the first time she meets Dorrigo?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) Her hat.
(c) Her wedding ring.
(d) Her veil.
12. Who is the woman in bed with Dorrigo in Section 1, Chapter 6?
13. What gift does Dorrigo recall giving to Amy before he departed in Section 3, Chapter 6?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A set of emerald earrings.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A pearl necklace.
14. What does Rabbit trade one of his duck eggs to Darky for in Section 3, Chapter 1?
(a) A paint brush.
(b) A toothbrush.
(c) A Swiss Army knife.
(d) A can of condensed milk.
15. Why is Darky Gardiner beaten by the POW guard in the beginning of Section 3, Chapter 4?
(a) For hiding food.
(b) For folding his blanket incorrectly.
(c) For attempting to escape.
(d) For smoking cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the translator that translates orders from Japanese to English for Dorrigo in Section 2, Chapter 4?
2. What symbol comprises Shisui's death poem?
3. Who shoots the pilot in Section 1, Chapter 13?
4. In what year does Section 2, Chapter 1 begin?
5. What word from Section 2 refers to a large, powerful whirlpool?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)