Section 1, Chapters 1-9
• Chapter 1 opens with Dorrigo Evans recalling Jackie Maguire arriving at his home in 1915 or 1916.
• In Chapter 2, Dorrigo recalls more of this scene: Jackie is crying because his wife, later identified as Ruth, has taken a train to Launceston with her youngest child and has not returned.
• In Chapter 3, Dorrigo earns his way into the Launceston High School and soon becomes accepted among the older students.
• In Chapter 4, 18 years have passed since the night of Jackie Maguire's tears, and Dorrigo is in bed with a young woman named Amy.
• Amy is married to Dorrigo's uncle Keith Mulvaney, though Keith is much older than Amy.
• Dorrigo is 27, has completed a medical degree, and is now a surgeon.
• In Chapter 5, Amy asks Dorrigo if he plans to leave Ella, his fiancée, and Dorrigo asks if Amy is prepared to leave her husband, Keith.
• In Chapter 6, Dorrigo is...
This section contains 2,631 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)