|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
2. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
3. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
4. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
5. Who wants to introduce Gogol to a girl he used to know as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
2. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
3. What happens the day after Gogol meets a girl named Maxine?
4. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
5. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
6. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
7. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
8. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
9. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
10. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
Essay Topic 2
How does Gogol's and his father's relationship change throughout the story? Where do they start, and where do they end up? What changes do they experience in that relationship? Trace their relationship throughout the book. Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
One main theme of this novel is culture shock. Cite instances from the book that can exemplify possible real life experiences of any second-generation immigrant to America and that are not just examples Indian-American immigrants might experience. Do you believe this book is more about culture shock or about the Indian American experience? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)