Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
2. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
3. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
4. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
5. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
The anger of second-generation immigrants who feel they are treated as second-class citizens is a theme in many novels. In this novel, the author uses the second-generation Indian immigrant Moushumi as an example of this anger. What happens in the novel that she sees as slights to her Indian heritage? How do these imagined slights affect her? How does her resulting anger affect her marriage to Gogol? Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)