Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
2. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
3. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
4. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
5. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
Essay Topic 1
The author chooses to use a common third-person voice for the narrative, but tells the story as if in the present. This is not common in literature. Tell whether you think this works well for this story. Tell why or why not and support you case by citing examples from the book that you feel are best told this way or that would be better told differently.
Essay Topic 2
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses unexpected events to change the direction of the story. One such event is Ashoke's death, but there are others. Cite at least three other examples of other such events and tell how they change the direction of the plot.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)