|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Ganguli children help their mother after their father's death?
2. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
3. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
4. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
5. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
2. Why does Ashima not fight her childrens' desires to live far away?
3. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
4. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
5. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
6. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
7. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
8. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
9. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
10. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses Gogol's romantic relationships to explore different aspects of his character. Follow the development of Gogol's romantic life throughout the book and examine Gogol's character in each relationship. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses unexpected events to change the direction of the story. One such event is Ashoke's death, but there are others. Cite at least three other examples of other such events and tell how they change the direction of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the character of Gogol's sister Sonia as a counterpoint to Gogol's character. Follow the development of her character throughout the book and show how her character differed from Gogol's and what the author accomplished through Sonia's character. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)