|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
2. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
3. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
4. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
5. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
2. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
3. What happens the day after Gogol meets a girl named Maxine?
4. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
5. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
6. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
7. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
8. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
9. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
10. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's previous book is a book of short stories. Some of the criticism of this book is that it is jerky and seems more like a collection of short stories than a novel. Cite examples from the book that you believe led to this criticism. Do you agree that the plot movement is jerky? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Ashoke's near-death experience is a theme of the novel. Describe this experience and how it affects his later decisions in life. Tell how those decisions affect the lives of the people close to him. Cite scenes or situations in the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)