|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
2. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
3. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
4. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
5. What does Gogol do as soon as he gets the news of his father's death?
Essay Topic 1
The author chooses to use a common third-person voice for the narrative, but tells the story as if in the present. This is not common in literature. Tell whether you think this works well for this story. Tell why or why not and support you case by citing examples from the book that you feel are best told this way or that would be better told differently.
Essay Topic 2
What significance does the title of this book hold? Why would the book be called this? Why would the book be called this? What does it symbolize within the novel? Please explore the meaning of the title through the character of Gogol.
Essay Topic 3
Ashima Ganguli is a pivotal character in the novel. Explore the character of Ashima throughout the book and explain how she evolves. Focus on her independence, her acceptance of the American lifestyle and her support of her childrens' choice of lifestyles. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)