|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
2. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
3. What does Maxine tell Gogol he should do while at his mother's house for the religious ceremony?
4. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
5. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
2. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
3. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
4. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
5. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
6. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
7. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
8. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
9. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
10. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gogol's and his father's relationship change throughout the story? Where do they start, and where do they end up? What changes do they experience in that relationship? Trace their relationship throughout the book. Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
This book is the story of the lives of the Ganguli family that are both intertwined and separate. Tell how each family member's story is affected and changed by the actions of other members of the family. Explain how these interactions changes the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Moushumi enters the book somewhat late in the story and doesn't remain to the end, but she is central to the development of Gogol's character. Trace her actions through the story. Why does she act as she does? Are her actions pivotal to the plot or can the story follow the same course to the same conclusion without her character? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)