|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Moushumi become engaged before meeting Gogol?
2. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
3. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
4. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi decide on?
5. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
2. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
3. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
4. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
5. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
6. Why does Ashima not fight her childrens' desires to live far away?
7. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
8. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
9. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
10. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ashoke's near-death experience is a theme of the novel. Describe this experience and how it affects his later decisions in life. Tell how those decisions affect the lives of the people close to him. Cite scenes or situations in the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses Gogol's romantic relationships to explore different aspects of his character. Follow the development of Gogol's romantic life throughout the book and examine Gogol's character in each relationship. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Ashima Ganguli is a pivotal character in the novel. Explore the character of Ashima throughout the book and explain how she evolves. Focus on her independence, her acceptance of the American lifestyle and her support of her childrens' choice of lifestyles. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)