|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
2. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
3. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
4. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
5. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
2. Why does Gogol agree to visit his family when he'd rather go to New Hampshire with Maxine's family?
3. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
4. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
5. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
6. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
7. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
8. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
9. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
10. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ashoke's near-death experience is a theme of the novel. Describe this experience and how it affects his later decisions in life. Tell how those decisions affect the lives of the people close to him. Cite scenes or situations in the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
Essay Topic 3
One main theme of this novel is culture shock. Cite instances from the book that can exemplify possible real life experiences of any second-generation immigrant to America and that are not just examples Indian-American immigrants might experience. Do you believe this book is more about culture shock or about the Indian American experience? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)