|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
2. How does Ashima feel about Gogol's living with Maxine?
3. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
4. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
5. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
2. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
3. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
4. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
5. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
6. Why does Ashima not fight her childrens' desires to live far away?
7. What happens the day after Gogol meets a girl named Maxine?
8. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
9. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
10. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses unexpected events to change the direction of the story. One such event is Ashoke's death, but there are others. Cite at least three other examples of other such events and tell how they change the direction of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
The author chooses to use a common third-person voice for the narrative, but tells the story as if in the present. This is not common in literature. Tell whether you think this works well for this story. Tell why or why not and support you case by citing examples from the book that you feel are best told this way or that would be better told differently.
Essay Topic 3
How does Gogol's and his father's relationship change throughout the story? Where do they start, and where do they end up? What changes do they experience in that relationship? Trace their relationship throughout the book. Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)