|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
2. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
3. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
4. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
5. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
2. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
3. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
4. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
5. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
6. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
7. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
8. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
9. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
10. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does the title of this book hold? Why would the book be called this? Why would the book be called this? What does it symbolize within the novel? Please explore the meaning of the title through the character of Gogol.
Essay Topic 2
Gogol's resistance to Indian traditions is a theme in this novel, but several times he return to those traditions. One time is after his father's death but there are others. Cite at least three times he returned willingly to his Indian traditions and what resulted from those choices. Do you think the author's decision to keep him coming back to those traditions helped or hindered the story? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The author's previous book is a book of short stories. Some of the criticism of this book is that it is jerky and seems more like a collection of short stories than a novel. Cite examples from the book that you believe led to this criticism. Do you agree that the plot movement is jerky? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)