|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Ganguli children help their mother after their father's death?
2. What does a waiter think when he sees Gogol and Moushumi together?
3. How is the Ratliff's house in New Hampshire different from the one in New York City?
4. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
5. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
2. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
3. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
4. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
5. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
6. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
7. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
8. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
9. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
10. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's descriptive style of writing is simple and straight-forward, helping her win a Pulitzer Prize. She uses it for both the story itself and to describe the settings. Do you believe this style works for both? Does this style work to delve deeply into the character's minds? Tell why you think the way you do. Did she do a better job of describing Indian immigrants or every-day native-born Americans? Tell why or why not. Cite examples from the novel to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
One main theme of this novel is culture shock. Cite instances from the book that can exemplify possible real life experiences of any second-generation immigrant to America and that are not just examples Indian-American immigrants might experience. Do you believe this book is more about culture shock or about the Indian American experience? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What significance does the title of this book hold? Why would the book be called this? Why would the book be called this? What does it symbolize within the novel? Please explore the meaning of the title through the character of Gogol.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)