|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
2. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
3. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
4. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
5. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
2. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
3. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
4. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
5. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
6. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
7. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
8. Why does Gogol agree to visit his family when he'd rather go to New Hampshire with Maxine's family?
9. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
10. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ganguli family lifestyle is central to the story. Compare and contrast the Ganguli family's lifestyle to the lifestyle of the Ratliffs. Cite examples from the novel that show differences and explain how those differences are important to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
Essay Topic 3
The author's descriptive style of writing is simple and straight-forward, helping her win a Pulitzer Prize. She uses it for both the story itself and to describe the settings. Do you believe this style works for both? Does this style work to delve deeply into the character's minds? Tell why you think the way you do. Did she do a better job of describing Indian immigrants or every-day native-born Americans? Tell why or why not. Cite examples from the novel to support your case.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)