|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
2. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
3. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
4. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
5. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
Essay Topic 2
Distance is one major theme in this novel. Explore the author's use of distance in the book, both physical and emotional, and tell how and where it is found and what the author accomplishes by using this theme. Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gogol and Moushumi ended up divorcing. Tell why this happened and then follow the problems in the marriage that were there from the beginning. Be sure to include those problems that were directly related to the fact that they were both second-generation Indian immigrants. Do you think the author succeeded in separating the problems that were unique to immigrants from those that can be found in any marriage in America today? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)