|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
2. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
3. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
4. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
5. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
2. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
3. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
4. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
5. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
6. How does Gogol feel about his family during visits home from college?
7. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
8. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
9. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
10. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gogol's and his father's relationship change throughout the story? Where do they start, and where do they end up? What changes do they experience in that relationship? Trace their relationship throughout the book. Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the character of Gogol's sister Sonia as a counterpoint to Gogol's character. Follow the development of her character throughout the book and show how her character differed from Gogol's and what the author accomplished through Sonia's character. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)