|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
2. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
3. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
4. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
5. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
2. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
3. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
4. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
5. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
6. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
7. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
8. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
9. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
10. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does the title of this book hold? Why would the book be called this? Why would the book be called this? What does it symbolize within the novel? Please explore the meaning of the title through the character of Gogol.
Essay Topic 2
Ashima Ganguli is a pivotal character in the novel. Explore the character of Ashima throughout the book and explain how she evolves. Focus on her independence, her acceptance of the American lifestyle and her support of her childrens' choice of lifestyles. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)