|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who lends Ashoke the book on the train tell him that he should do?
2. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
3. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
4. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
5. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
2. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
3. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
4. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
5. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
6. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
7. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
8. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
9. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
10. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is the story of the lives of the Ganguli family that are both intertwined and separate. Tell how each family member's story is affected and changed by the actions of other members of the family. Explain how these interactions changes the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 2
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Distance is one major theme in this novel. Explore the author's use of distance in the book, both physical and emotional, and tell how and where it is found and what the author accomplishes by using this theme. Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)