|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
2. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
3. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
4. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
5. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
2. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
3. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
4. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
5. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
6. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
7. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
8. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
9. How does Gogol feel about his family during visits home from college?
10. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author chooses to use a common third-person voice for the narrative, but tells the story as if in the present. This is not common in literature. Tell whether you think this works well for this story. Tell why or why not and support you case by citing examples from the book that you feel are best told this way or that would be better told differently.
Essay Topic 2
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The author's previous book is a book of short stories. Some of the criticism of this book is that it is jerky and seems more like a collection of short stories than a novel. Cite examples from the book that you believe led to this criticism. Do you agree that the plot movement is jerky? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)