|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
2. What time of day was the train wreck?
3. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
4. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
5. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
2. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
3. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
4. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
5. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
6. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
7. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
8. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
9. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
10. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ashoke's near-death experience is a theme of the novel. Describe this experience and how it affects his later decisions in life. Tell how those decisions affect the lives of the people close to him. Cite scenes or situations in the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One main theme of this novel is culture shock. Cite instances from the book that can exemplify possible real life experiences of any second-generation immigrant to America and that are not just examples Indian-American immigrants might experience. Do you believe this book is more about culture shock or about the Indian American experience? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)