|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
2. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
3. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
4. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
5. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Ashima do with her life now that her husband is gone and Sonia is getting married?
2. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
3. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
4. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
5. What have Moushumi and Gogol done during the year since he bought the airline tickets?
6. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
7. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
8. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
9. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
10. How does Gogol feel about his family during visits home from college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Gogol and Moushumi ended up divorcing. Tell why this happened and then follow the problems in the marriage that were there from the beginning. Be sure to include those problems that were directly related to the fact that they were both second-generation Indian immigrants. Do you think the author succeeded in separating the problems that were unique to immigrants from those that can be found in any marriage in America today? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses unexpected events to change the direction of the story. One such event is Ashoke's death, but there are others. Cite at least three other examples of other such events and tell how they change the direction of the plot.
This section contains 1,663 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)