|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
2. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
3. What is the one complication about Gogol/Nikhil's new name?
4. What did Ashoke do after the train wreck when he had nightmares at night and couldn't sleep?
5. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
2. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
3. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
4. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
5. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
6. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
7. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
8. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
9. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
10. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ashoke's near-death experience is a theme of the novel. Describe this experience and how it affects his later decisions in life. Tell how those decisions affect the lives of the people close to him. Cite scenes or situations in the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Gogol's and his father's relationship change throughout the story? Where do they start, and where do they end up? What changes do they experience in that relationship? Trace their relationship throughout the book. Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gogol and Moushumi ended up divorcing. Tell why this happened and then follow the problems in the marriage that were there from the beginning. Be sure to include those problems that were directly related to the fact that they were both second-generation Indian immigrants. Do you think the author succeeded in separating the problems that were unique to immigrants from those that can be found in any marriage in America today? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)