|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
2. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
3. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
4. What difference does Ashima notice in her days before and after Gogol's birth?
5. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
2. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
3. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
4. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
5. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
6. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
7. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
8. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
9. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
10. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ashima Ganguli is a pivotal character in the novel. Explore the character of Ashima throughout the book and explain how she evolves. Focus on her independence, her acceptance of the American lifestyle and her support of her childrens' choice of lifestyles. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Ashoke's near-death experience is a theme of the novel. Describe this experience and how it affects his later decisions in life. Tell how those decisions affect the lives of the people close to him. Cite scenes or situations in the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author's previous book is a book of short stories. Some of the criticism of this book is that it is jerky and seems more like a collection of short stories than a novel. Cite examples from the book that you believe led to this criticism. Do you agree that the plot movement is jerky? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)