Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
2. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
3. What does Gogol do with the book his father gives him for his fourteenth birthday?
4. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
5. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
2. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
3. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
4. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
5. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
6. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
7. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
8. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
9. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
10. Why does Gogol agree to visit his family when he'd rather go to New Hampshire with Maxine's family?
Essay Topic 1
Gogol and Moushumi ended up divorcing. Tell why this happened and then follow the problems in the marriage that were there from the beginning. Be sure to include those problems that were directly related to the fact that they were both second-generation Indian immigrants. Do you think the author succeeded in separating the problems that were unique to immigrants from those that can be found in any marriage in America today? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the marriage of Ashim and Ashoke Ganguli different from most American marriages? Cite examples to support your answer. Discuss some advantages or disadvantages of each kind of marriage as described in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Moushumi experiences much the same cultural ambivalence as Gogol. Explain why this is so and cite scenes from the book that show this ambivalence.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)