|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What difference does Ashima notice in her days before and after Gogol's birth?
2. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
3. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
4. How does Gogol/Nakhil feel when people who used to call him Gogol use his new name?
5. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
2. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
3. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
4. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
5. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
6. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
7. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
8. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
9. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
10. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses Gogol's romantic relationships to explore different aspects of his character. Follow the development of Gogol's romantic life throughout the book and examine Gogol's character in each relationship. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The Ganguli family lifestyle is central to the story. Compare and contrast the Ganguli family's lifestyle to the lifestyle of the Ratliffs. Cite examples from the novel that show differences and explain how those differences are important to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Ashima Ganguli is a pivotal character in the novel. Explore the character of Ashima throughout the book and explain how she evolves. Focus on her independence, her acceptance of the American lifestyle and her support of her childrens' choice of lifestyles. Cite examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)