|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
2. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
3. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
4. What did Ashoke do after the train wreck when he had nightmares at night and couldn't sleep?
5. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
2. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
3. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
4. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
5. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
6. What have Moushumi and Gogol done during the year since he bought the airline tickets?
7. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
8. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
9. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
10. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's previous book is a book of short stories. Some of the criticism of this book is that it is jerky and seems more like a collection of short stories than a novel. Cite examples from the book that you believe led to this criticism. Do you agree that the plot movement is jerky? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Gogol and Moushumi ended up divorcing. Tell why this happened and then follow the problems in the marriage that were there from the beginning. Be sure to include those problems that were directly related to the fact that they were both second-generation Indian immigrants. Do you think the author succeeded in separating the problems that were unique to immigrants from those that can be found in any marriage in America today? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses unexpected events to change the direction of the story. One such event is Ashoke's death, but there are others. Cite at least three other examples of other such events and tell how they change the direction of the plot.
This section contains 1,603 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)