Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
2. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
3. What does Gogol do with the book his father gives him for his fourteenth birthday?
4. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
5. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
2. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
3. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
4. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
5. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
6. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
7. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
8. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
9. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
10. Why does Gogol agree to visit his family when he'd rather go to New Hampshire with Maxine's family?
Essay Topic 1
The author chooses to use a common third-person voice for the narrative, but tells the story as if in the present. This is not common in literature. Tell whether you think this works well for this story. Tell why or why not and support you case by citing examples from the book that you feel are best told this way or that would be better told differently.
Essay Topic 2
Distance is one major theme in this novel. Explore the author's use of distance in the book, both physical and emotional, and tell how and where it is found and what the author accomplishes by using this theme. Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses unexpected events to change the direction of the story. One such event is Ashoke's death, but there are others. Cite at least three other examples of other such events and tell how they change the direction of the plot.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)