|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Ganguli family friends react to the news of Ashoke's death?
(a) They tell the Ganguli family that they can now return to India.
(b) They are shocked and don't know what to say.
(c) They take turns helping with household chores.
(d) They all respond with visits, calls, and cards.
2. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
(b) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
(c) Every three weekends he comes home.
(d) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
3. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
(a) It's on their way to New Hampshire.
(b) Gogol knows his mother won't rest until she meets Maxine.
(c) Because Maxine is curious about how people from India live.
(d) Maxine wants to meet Gogol's parents.
4. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She gets to know her neighbors better.
(b) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
(c) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
(d) She makes her own Christmas cards.
5. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
(a) He doesn't want to make her cry.
(b) He doesn't have time to sort through things.
(c) There's nothing of personal importance in the apartment.
(d) It's not their way.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Ganguli children help their mother after their father's death?
2. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
3. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
4. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
5. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
2. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
3. Why does Ashima not fight her childrens' desires to live far away?
4. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
5. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
6. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
7. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
8. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
9. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
10. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)