|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
(a) The police are dispatched because he can't be found.
(b) Maxine's parents speak with Ashima then tell him.
(c) He calls his mother to chat minutes after she received the news.
(d) His sister Sonia calls him at Maxine's home.
2. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
(b) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
(c) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(d) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
3. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
(a) Was the date the disaster each expected?
(b) Is she as lonely as he is?
(c) Should they make their parents happy and see each other again?
(d) How soon can he see her again?
4. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(b) A well-organized military campaign.
(c) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
(d) A three-ring circus.
5. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
(a) She doesn't expect it to be him, they seldom call each other.
(b) They talk every evening by phone so she expects it.
(c) She is used to surprises.
(d) She expects it to be Sonia, they talk often.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
2. What does a waiter think when he sees Gogol and Moushumi together?
3. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
4. How do the Ganguli family friends react to the news of Ashoke's death?
5. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
2. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
3. Why does Gogol agree to visit his family when he'd rather go to New Hampshire with Maxine's family?
4. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
5. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
6. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
7. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
8. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
9. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
10. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)