|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ashima feel about Gogol's living with Maxine?
(a) She constantly tells him he must not live with her.
(b) She's glad because soon Gogol and Maxine will marry.
(c) She doesn't like it but knows she must accept it.
(d) She refuses to admit he's living with a woman he's not married to.
2. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
(a) His mother didn't care enough to prepare a nice meal.
(b) There is too much food and it's too rich for the warm weather.
(c) It's too spicy; Maxine doesn't like spicy food.
(d) It's not the kind of food Maxine is used to.
3. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works as a translator.
(b) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(c) She helps out at the library.
(d) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
4. How had Moushumi become engaged before meeting Gogol?
(a) She'd asked her lover to marry her and he'd accepted.
(b) They'd realized they couldn't continue on as they were doing and just decided to marry.
(c) Graham had gotten on his knees and proposed just like in the movies.
(d) Her parents arranged the marriage.
5. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
(a) A dark-haired beauty.
(b) A jewel of great price.
(c) A woman of mystery and night.
(d) A damp, southwesterly breeze.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
2. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
3. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
4. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
5. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
2. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
3. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
4. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
5. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
6. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
7. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
8. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
9. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
10. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)