|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
(a) That she doesn't like the style of the buildings.
(b) That she's horrified by the wide-open spaces and yards.
(c) That she feels at home in the normal, suburban environment.
(d) That the landscape is foreign to her.
2. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
(b) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
(c) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
(d) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
3. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
(a) He calls his mother to chat minutes after she received the news.
(b) Maxine's parents speak with Ashima then tell him.
(c) The police are dispatched because he can't be found.
(d) His sister Sonia calls him at Maxine's home.
4. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
(a) Coworkers invite him to a party she also attends.
(b) His parents arrange a meeting because he's old enough to marry.
(c) She sees him and is interested and arranges a meeting.
(d) He bumps into her on the sidewalk and they laugh about it.
5. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
(a) She hopes he doesn't find a girlfriend because then he won't come home.
(b) She hopes he can find happiness as great as hers was.
(c) She sees it as fate that eventually he will marry and leave her.
(d) She is quietly concerned and hopeful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
2. Who wants to introduce Gogol to a girl he used to know as a child?
3. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
4. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
5. How do Gogol and Moushumi dress for their wedding reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
2. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
3. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
4. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
5. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
6. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
7. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
8. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
9. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
10. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)