|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
(b) They meet in Central Park.
(c) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
(d) At Ashima's house.
2. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
(a) The phone lines are down.
(b) Maxine doesn't like Gogol talking to his family, so he doesn't.
(c) Gogol doesn't return his mother's phone calls.
(d) Gogol is out of town and no one knows where he is.
3. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A traditional Indian sari.
(b) A white flowing wedding dress.
(c) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
(d) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
4. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
(b) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
(c) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
(d) He is relieved to have his wife back.
5. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
(b) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
(c) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
(d) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Moushumi and Gogol make love for the first time?
2. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
3. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
4. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
5. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gogol agree to visit his family when he'd rather go to New Hampshire with Maxine's family?
2. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
3. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
4. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
5. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
6. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
7. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
8. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
9. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
10. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)