|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(b) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(c) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(d) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
2. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
(b) He misses his work and feels useless.
(c) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
(d) He doesn't like the French culture.
3. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
(a) Because her mother still does not know how to drive.
(b) Because she wants to be like other American women.
(c) Because being dependent makes her feel claustrophobic.
(d) Because she's not completely comfortable in her marriage.
4. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
(a) She gives it to a professor with a strong recommendation.
(b) She takes it home to show Gogol.
(c) She makes a Xerox copy of it.
(d) She tears it into a hundred tiny pieces.
5. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(b) She figures she'll save money this way.
(c) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
(d) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
2. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
3. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
4. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
5. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
2. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
3. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
4. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
5. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
6. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
7. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
8. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
9. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
10. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)