|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
(b) He is relieved to have his wife back.
(c) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
(d) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
2. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
(b) She makes her own Christmas cards.
(c) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
(d) She gets to know her neighbors better.
3. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(b) There is no perfect name.
(c) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(d) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
4. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(b) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
(c) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
(d) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
5. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
(a) Mutual friends.
(b) Times growing up that they were together.
(c) Their careers and their educations.
(d) How much they both hated their family's traditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
2. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
3. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
4. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
5. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
2. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
3. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
4. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
5. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
6. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
7. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
8. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
9. Why does Ashima not fight her childrens' desires to live far away?
10. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)