|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
(b) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
(c) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(d) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
2. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
(a) He drops her off at her apartment then goes home.
(b) He goes to a bar and has a quick drink.
(c) He rushes home because he has work that's waiting.
(d) He buys a hat for her that she'd admired.
3. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(b) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(c) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
(d) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
4. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
(a) Is she as lonely as he is?
(b) How soon can he see her again?
(c) Should they make their parents happy and see each other again?
(d) Was the date the disaster each expected?
5. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
(b) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(c) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
(d) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi decide on?
2. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
3. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
4. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
5. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
2. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
3. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
4. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
5. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
6. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
7. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
8. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
9. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
10. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)