|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
(b) He misses his work and feels useless.
(c) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
(d) He doesn't like the French culture.
2. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
(a) They throw a party just for him.
(b) They introduce him to an architect who can advance his career.
(c) They initiate him into the American ritual of Sunday afternoon football.
(d) They teach him how to play golf and tennis.
3. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) A volume of love poems.
(b) The Red and the Black.
(c) Shakespeare's poems.
(d) Gone With the Wind.
4. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
(b) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
(c) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(d) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
5. What does Maxine tell Gogol he should do while at his mother's house for the religious ceremony?
(a) She tells him he should get away and go to New Hampshire.
(b) She tells him that she now sees they are too different to be together permanently.
(c) She tells him his family needs him and he should stay there for a while.
(d) She tells him that she will try to fit in with his culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
2. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
3. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
4. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
5. What does Gogol do as soon as he gets the news of his father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
2. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
3. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
4. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
5. What happens the day after Gogol meets a girl named Maxine?
6. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
7. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
8. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
9. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
10. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)