|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(b) There is no perfect name.
(c) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
(d) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
2. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
(c) Her family in India.
3. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A white flowing wedding dress.
(b) A traditional Indian sari.
(c) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(d) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
4. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He doesn't like the French culture.
(b) He misses his work and feels useless.
(c) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
(d) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
5. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
(b) She gets to know her neighbors better.
(c) She makes her own Christmas cards.
(d) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
2. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
3. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
4. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
5. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)