|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A traditional Indian sari.
(b) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(c) A white flowing wedding dress.
(d) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
2. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
(a) Half Pint
(c) Dark Lady
3. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
(b) She figures she'll save money this way.
(c) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(d) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
4. What happens while Moushumi and Gogol make love for the first time?
(a) Dinner burns and they must order something in.
(b) The door is open and a neighbor comes in to visit.
(c) The neighbor's cat comes in through the window.
(d) The phone rings and it's Gogol's mother.
5. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(b) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(c) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(d) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
2. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
3. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
4. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
5. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
2. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
3. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
4. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
5. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
6. What happens the day after Gogol meets a girl named Maxine?
7. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
8. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
9. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
10. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)