|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
(b) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
(c) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
(d) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
2. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
(b) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(c) A white flowing wedding dress.
(d) A traditional Indian sari.
3. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) A volume of love poems.
(b) Shakespeare's poems.
(c) The Red and the Black.
(d) Gone With the Wind.
4. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) Plane tickets.
(b) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
(c) A weekend at a spa.
(d) A set of encyclopedias.
5. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
(b) She was on an extended visit to India.
(c) In Paris.
(d) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
2. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
3. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
4. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
5. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
2. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
3. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
4. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
5. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
6. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
7. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
8. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
9. What happens the day after Gogol meets a girl named Maxine?
10. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)