|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a waiter think when he sees Gogol and Moushumi together?
(a) That they must be in love.
(b) That they are brother and sister.
(c) That they must share a similar heritage.
(d) That they seem unhappy.
2. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) Plane tickets.
(b) A weekend at a spa.
(c) A set of encyclopedias.
(d) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
3. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
(a) There's nothing of personal importance in the apartment.
(b) He doesn't have time to sort through things.
(c) He doesn't want to make her cry.
(d) It's not their way.
4. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
(b) The cultural life of the city.
(c) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(d) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
5. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
(a) They are intrigued by him.
(b) They think he looks like a recent immigrant from India.
(c) They don't react any way, he's just another of Maxine's friends.
(d) They are too polite to say so but they dislike him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
2. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
3. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
4. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
5. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
2. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
3. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
4. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
5. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
6. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
7. Why does Ashima not fight her childrens' desires to live far away?
8. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
9. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
10. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)