|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(b) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(c) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(d) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
2. Where do Moushumi and Dimitri first meet for lunch?
(a) A cafe they both remember fondly.
(b) His apartment.
(c) A park where they share bag lunches.
(d) A cafe near the train station because they are both in a hurry.
3. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(b) That he's never had a dog.
(c) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(d) That he's afraid of dogs.
4. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
(a) He doesn't have time to sort through things.
(b) He doesn't want to make her cry.
(c) It's not their way.
(d) There's nothing of personal importance in the apartment.
5. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
(b) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
(c) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(d) She doesn't see any changes at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
2. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
3. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
4. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
5. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
2. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
3. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
4. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
5. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
6. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
7. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
8. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
9. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
10. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)