|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) They are worn out and just want to rest.
(b) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
(c) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
(d) They feel effervescent and energized.
2. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How much in love his parents were.
(b) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(c) How much he hates train rides.
(d) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
3. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
(b) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(c) She doesn't see any changes at all.
(d) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
4. What happened to one of the administrative assistants at NYU?
(a) She was turned down for pregnancy leave.
(b) She was fired.
(c) She was caught pilfering money.
(d) She had an aneurysm and died.
5. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A three-ring circus.
(b) A well-organized military campaign.
(c) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(d) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
2. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
3. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
4. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
5. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
2. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
3. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
4. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
5. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
6. What does Moushumi do while married to Gogol and feeling discontented with life?
7. What does Ashima do by herself with her husband in Ohio?
8. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
9. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
10. How do Gogol and Mushumi react to one another after all this time?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)