|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
(b) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
(c) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(d) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
2. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
(a) Moushumi loves the city so Gogol suggests a trip there.
(b) Moushumi is asked to lecture there.
(c) It's a long-delayed honeymoon.
(d) Moushumi's father is there, they visit him and his new wife.
3. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
(a) They don't react any way, he's just another of Maxine's friends.
(b) They are intrigued by him.
(c) They think he looks like a recent immigrant from India.
(d) They are too polite to say so but they dislike him.
4. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
(a) He has been coughing a lot and thinks it might be pneumonia.
(b) He has a stomach ache, he thinks he ate some bad chicken.
(c) He fell and his coworkers rushed him to the hospital.
(d) He has unexplained leg cramps.
5. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
(b) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(c) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(d) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
2. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
3. What does Gogol remember in the days after his first date with Moushumi?
4. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
5. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
2. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
3. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
4. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
5. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
6. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's family?
7. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
8. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
9. What do the Ratliffs do for Gogol in New Hampshire?
10. Do Gogol and Mushumi marry immediately after meeting?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)