|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Talking about shared childhood memories.
(c) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
2. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
(a) He is taken aback by her boldness.
(b) He wishes she'd leave him alone.
(c) He is curious because he's never met someone so shy.
(d) He is flattered by the boldness of her actions.
3. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) There is no perfect name.
(b) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(c) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(d) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
4. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works as a translator.
(b) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(c) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
(d) She helps out at the library.
5. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
(b) Plane tickets.
(c) A set of encyclopedias.
(d) A weekend at a spa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
2. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
3. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
4. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
5. How is the Ratliff's house in New Hampshire different from the one in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gogol takes Maxine to meet his family?
2. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
3. Why doesn't Gogol know immediately of his father's death?
4. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
5. What do Moushumi and Dimitri do when they meet?
6. After Gogol breaks off his relationship with Maxine, who does his mother introduce him to?
7. What does Gogol do after graduating from college?
8. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
9. How does Gogol finally learn about his father's death?
10. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)