|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) One with friends from school and one with Indian friends of his family.
(b) One with family and one with school friends.
(c) One at home and one at a pizza parlor.
(d) One on his actual birthday, another on the weekend when it's convenient.
2. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
(b) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
(c) Ashima's grandmother.
(d) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
3. Where does Gogol first begin to introduce himself to people as Nikhil?
(a) His first day of school in New Haven.
(b) At the park where a little boy asks his name.
(c) At the bank where he gets a school loan.
(d) As soon as he gets home he introduces his new self to his family.
4. How does Gogol/Nakhil feel when people who used to call him Gogol use his new name?
(a) He wishes they'd still call him Gogol, he's used to it.
(b) He finds it startling.
(c) He is pleased that they understand how important it is to him.
(d) He wonders how they can keep his names straight.
5. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
(a) In stealth, not letting his classmates know about it.
(b) He almost boasts to everyone about his name change.
(c) Methodically, one paper at a time but in no hurry.
(d) Only when necessary because paperwork doesn't match.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
2. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
3. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
4. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
5. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
2. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
3. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
4. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
5. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
6. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
7. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
8. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
9. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
10. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)