|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gogol first begin to introduce himself to people as Nikhil?
(a) At the bank where he gets a school loan.
(b) As soon as he gets home he introduces his new self to his family.
(c) His first day of school in New Haven.
(d) At the park where a little boy asks his name.
2. What does Ashima try to make for a midnight snack?
(a) Pickles, because she's pregnant
(b) Rice Krispies bars
(c) A concoction sold for pennies in Calcutta
(d) Ice cream
3. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
(b) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
(c) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(d) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
4. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) She hates white.
(b) It only comes to her knees.
(c) The back is open.
(d) It's ugly.
5. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
(a) No, because Indians believe names can wait.
(b) Only if the child is in poor health and may not live long.
(c) Yes, because a name is extrememely important in India.
(d) Yes, because announcements cannot be sent out until the child has a name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Gogol's parents think of his wanting to change his name?
2. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
3. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
4. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
5. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
2. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
3. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
4. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
5. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
6. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
7. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
8. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
9. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
10. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)