|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
(a) A sunny, comfortable home shared by three immigrant families.
(b) A fully furnished apartment near Harvard and MIT.
(c) An apartment in the slums, surrounded by noisy neighbors.
(d) A two-story Georgian home the Ganguli family purchased.
2. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
(a) A mix of peoples from all over the world.
(b) Out-of-work Americans.
(c) Families of professors at Harvard.
(d) Other immigrants from India.
3. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Her father has lost his job.
(b) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
(c) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
(d) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
4. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(b) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(c) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(d) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
5. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
(a) That they are joking.
(b) That they are doing it only to acquaint him and Sonia with India.
(c) That they think he's become too American.
(d) That they are homesick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
2. When does the idea to change his name first occur to Gogol?
3. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
4. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
5. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol feel about his family during visits home from college?
2. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
3. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
4. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
5. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
6. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
7. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
8. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
9. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
10. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)