|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What place does Ashima recall while in labor?
(a) The apartment she shares with her husband.
(b) The lake she once visited as a child.
(c) Her childhood home in India.
(d) No place, she's totally involved in her present situation.
2. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(b) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(c) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
(d) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
3. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
(b) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
(c) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
(d) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
4. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
(b) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
(c) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
(d) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
5. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
(a) He finally had a frosted cake and ice cream.
(b) He got presents from friends, something his parents had not allowed before.
(c) He had a boy-girl party with dancing.
(d) He said no to a frosted cake and ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
2. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
3. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
4. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
5. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
2. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
3. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
4. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
5. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
6. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
7. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
8. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
9. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
10. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)