|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
(a) He stopped the flow of blood that otherwise would have killed him.
(b) He called out and someone heard his cry.
(c) He climbed out of the wreckage and ran to safety.
(d) He raised his hand and rescuers saw it.
2. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
(a) They have a huge fight and Gogol walks out on her.
(b) Ruth takes a class in England and that ends the affair.
(c) Gogol's friends tell him Ruth isn't right for him.
(d) Ruth's parents don't like her seeing an Indian so she ends it.
3. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He reads the Globe.
(b) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
(c) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(d) He drags his fingers through his hair.
4. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
(b) Ashima's grandmother.
(c) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
(d) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
5. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
(a) They become true Americans.
(b) They seldom know what's going on with their families in India.
(c) They lose touch with their families in India.
(d) They both become orphans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
2. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
3. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
4. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
5. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
2. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
3. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
4. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
5. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
6. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
7. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
8. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
9. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
10. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)