|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
(b) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
(c) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(d) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
2. How Gogol/Nikhil feel about his new name once a few weeks have passed?
(a) He's confused and doesn't know why.
(b) He feels like a new and different person.
(c) He doesn't give it a second thought.
(d) He wishes he'd never done it.
3. What does Ashima try to make for a midnight snack?
(a) Rice Krispies bars
(b) Pickles, because she's pregnant
(c) A concoction sold for pennies in Calcutta
(d) Ice cream
4. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He reads the Globe.
(b) He drags his fingers through his hair.
(c) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(d) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
5. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(b) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(c) How to pronounce it correctly.
(d) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
2. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
3. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
4. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
5. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
2. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
3. How does Gogol feel about his family during visits home from college?
4. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
5. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
6. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
7. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
8. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
9. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
10. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)