|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
(a) They say nothing, many of their students travel a lot.
(b) They are concerned and do not like it.
(c) They feel the trip itself will be educational.
(d) They insist Gogol keep up on his studies.
2. How Gogol/Nikhil feel about his new name once a few weeks have passed?
(a) He feels like a new and different person.
(b) He's confused and doesn't know why.
(c) He wishes he'd never done it.
(d) He doesn't give it a second thought.
3. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
(a) The conversation on the train before the train wreck.
(b) That he'd not wanted children so soon.
(c) How beautiful Ashima had been when they first met.
(d) That he has a meeting and must soon leave for a while.
4. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(b) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
(c) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
(d) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
5. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
(a) Playing in the dirt because there is no yard yet.
(b) The sound of the kids next door playing baseball.
(c) His parents discussing how to furnish their new home.
(d) The movement of the sun's rays across his bedroom floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
2. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
3. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
4. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
5. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
2. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
3. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
4. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
5. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
6. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
7. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
8. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
9. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
10. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)