|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
(b) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
(c) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
(d) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
2. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
(a) A handful because most are too busy to come.
(b) Close to forty people.
(c) So many that they spill into the back yard.
(d) No one comes and the family is upset for Gogol's sake.
3. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
(b) A pet name.
(c) A name his child should be proud to carry.
(d) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
4. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
(b) Ashima's grandmother.
(c) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
(d) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
5. What place does Ashima recall while in labor?
(a) The apartment she shares with her husband.
(b) No place, she's totally involved in her present situation.
(c) Her childhood home in India.
(d) The lake she once visited as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one complication about Gogol/Nikhil's new name?
2. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
3. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
4. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
5. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
2. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
3. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
4. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
5. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
6. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
7. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
8. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
9. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
10. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)