|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
(a) He doesn't want Gogol to know about the terrible train wreck Ashoke was in.
(b) He sees that Gogol is interested in other things.
(c) He feels Gogol should figure it out on his own.
(d) He doesn't like the person his son has become.
2. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
(a) A mix of peoples from all over the world.
(b) Families of professors at Harvard.
(c) Out-of-work Americans.
(d) Other immigrants from India.
3. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
(a) He wishes it was more American.
(b) He hates being Gogol Ganjuli.
(c) He doesn't like it because he believes it marks him as different.
(d) He doesn't mind his name.
4. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
(a) She makes sure their wrist bands match.
(b) She leaves them alone for a while.
(c) She shows them how to change his diapers.
(d) She tells them that a child is a fragile thing.
5. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
(a) He wants to stay home and play.
(b) He doesn't want to be the only Indian at the school.
(c) He is afraid of the strange building.
(d) He has been told he will be called by a different name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
2. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
3. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
4. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
5. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
2. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
3. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
4. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
5. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
6. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
7. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
8. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
9. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
10. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)