|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
(a) It was not at all what she had expected.
(b) She didn't like the neighbors.
(c) It was smaller than Ashoke had described.
(d) She was delighted with the sunny, spacious rooms.
2. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
(a) Caring for a child with an absent husband.
(b) The pain of childbirth.
(c) Raising it in a place so far from home.
(d) The difficulty of getting her figure back afterwards.
3. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(b) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(c) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
(d) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
4. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
(b) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(c) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
(d) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
5. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
(a) What problems his name has caused him.
(b) What is the reason for wishing to change his name.
(c) Whether his family agrees.
(d) Whether he is a felon hiding from the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
2. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
3. What is the one complication about Gogol/Nikhil's new name?
4. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
5. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
2. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
3. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
4. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
5. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
6. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
7. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
8. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
9. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
10. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)