|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
(a) Raising it in a place so far from home.
(b) Caring for a child with an absent husband.
(c) The pain of childbirth.
(d) The difficulty of getting her figure back afterwards.
2. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
(a) They are concerned and do not like it.
(b) They say nothing, many of their students travel a lot.
(c) They feel the trip itself will be educational.
(d) They insist Gogol keep up on his studies.
3. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
(b) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
(c) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(d) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
4. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
(b) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
(c) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
(d) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
5. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
(b) A pet name.
(c) A name his child should be proud to carry.
(d) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
2. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
3. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
4. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
5. What did Ashoke do after the train wreck when he had nightmares at night and couldn't sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
2. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
3. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
4. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
5. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
6. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
7. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
8. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
9. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
10. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)