|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
(a) Practically none because they have few Indian neighbors.
(b) Just a handful but they are good friends of the family.
(c) So many that the Gangulis rent a building on campus.
(d) The whole neighborhood, including their American friends.
2. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
(b) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
(c) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
(d) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
3. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
(a) He was climbing a mountain.
(b) He was helping his parents clean the yard.
(c) He was crossing a street just like every other day.
(d) He was reading a book.
4. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(b) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(c) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
(d) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
5. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
(b) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(c) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
(d) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
2. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
3. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
4. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
5. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
2. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
3. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
4. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
5. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
6. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
7. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
8. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
9. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
10. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)