|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima try to make for a midnight snack?
(a) Ice cream
(b) Pickles, because she's pregnant
(c) Rice Krispies bars
(d) A concoction sold for pennies in Calcutta
2. What did Ashoke do after the train wreck when he had nightmares at night and couldn't sleep?
(a) He read books about other countries.
(b) He went looking for people to be with.
(c) He paced and talked himself into a calm state.
(d) He drank until he could sleep again.
3. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
(b) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
(c) A pet name.
(d) A name his child should be proud to carry.
4. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) One with friends from school and one with Indian friends of his family.
(b) One with family and one with school friends.
(c) One at home and one at a pizza parlor.
(d) One on his actual birthday, another on the weekend when it's convenient.
5. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
(a) They are happy their son is seeing an American girl.
(b) They are undecided.
(c) They don't know about the relationship.
(d) They disaprove.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
2. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
3. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
4. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
5. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gogol and Moushumi have in common when they first meet?
2. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
3. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
4. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
5. What does Gogol do when he learns of his father's death?
6. What happens to change a friendly evening into an intimate encounter between Mushumi and Gogol?
7. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
8. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
9. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
10. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)