|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
(a) Baseballs, footballs and soccer balls.
(b) Dictionaries, calculators, sweaters, and pens.
(c) Trading cards for his collection.
(d) Mementos of India.
2. What does Gogol do with the book his father gives him for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He sets it aside to read later when he has more time.
(b) He loses it almost immediately.
(c) He shuts the book and puts it on a shelf, unread.
(d) He leafs through the book to see what it's about.
3. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(b) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(c) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
(d) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
4. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
(b) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(c) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
(d) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
5. What do Gogol's parents think of his wanting to change his name?
(a) They can't imagine why he'd want to do such a thing.
(b) They think it might improve his chances for a good job.
(c) They see it as an insult to his heritage and his family.
(d) They think it's too complicated and he's too old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
2. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
3. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
4. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
5. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol plan to present Moushumi with the tickets?
2. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
3. What happens the day after Gogol meets a girl named Maxine?
4. What do Gogol and Moushumi decide to do with the money they receive as wedding presents?
5. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
6. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
7. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
8. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
9. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
10. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi have?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)