|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
(b) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
(c) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
(d) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
2. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
(a) She says she can't do this.
(b) She rebukes him for not having done the dishes.
(c) She says nothing; she is tired and needs her sleep.
(d) She tells him they are starting on a new journey in life.
3. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
(a) She returns those that are duplicates for gift certificates.
(b) She sets them aside for regifting.
(c) She finds places for them in Gogol's crowded room.
(d) The stores them in their original boxes for future use.
4. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
(a) She'll be important when she grows up.
(b) She is the true American.
(c) She'll always live between two cultures.
(d) She doesn't want to know her future.
5. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) One on his actual birthday, another on the weekend when it's convenient.
(b) One with friends from school and one with Indian friends of his family.
(c) One at home and one at a pizza parlor.
(d) One with family and one with school friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
2. Why does Gogol tell the judge he's changing his name?
3. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
4. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
5. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gogol feel about his family during visits home from college?
2. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
3. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
4. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
5. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
6. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
7. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
8. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
9. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
10. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)