|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
(a) Neighbors of the Gangulis.
(b) A couple the Gangulis met and a professor friend of Ashoke.
(c) Ashoke's fellow students from college.
(d) No one, they don't know anyone in America yet.
2. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Her father has lost his job.
(b) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
(c) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
(d) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
3. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
(a) They say they forgot such things after living in America.
(b) They say alternative identities are not used in America.
(c) They say the law about names in America makes such identities difficult if not impossible.
(d) They tell people he would only respond to Gogol.
4. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
(a) He feels it might answer questions about his heritage.
(b) He feels he's somewhat of an expert on the subject.
(c) It filled a void in his class schedule.
(d) One of the presenters is a cousin from India whom he has never met.
5. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
(a) Nothing, he finally accepts his name as a part of him.
(b) He moves back home because he's homesick and he commutes.
(c) He goes a little wild and ends up drunk.
(d) He decides to change his name legally.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
2. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
3. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
4. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
5. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol do for Moushumi's Christmas gift?
2. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
3. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
4. Why does Gogol agree to visit his family when he'd rather go to New Hampshire with Maxine's family?
5. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
6. When bothers Gogol after he and Moushumi return to New York after a trip to Paris?
7. What does Moushumi reveal about her past that she finds humiliating?
8. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
9. What bothers Gogol when he goes to Paris with Moushumi when she lectures there?
10. What call does Ashima get while working on the Christmas cards?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)