|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
(a) A mix of peoples from all over the world.
(b) Families of professors at Harvard.
(c) Out-of-work Americans.
(d) Other immigrants from India.
2. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
(a) Most of the children are about Gogol's age.
(b) There are a few his age, most are older.
(c) He and Sonia are the only children, the guests are his parents' friends.
(d) Only one, a girl named Moushumi.
3. What do Gogol's parents think of his wanting to change his name?
(a) They see it as an insult to his heritage and his family.
(b) They think it might improve his chances for a good job.
(c) They can't imagine why he'd want to do such a thing.
(d) They think it's too complicated and he's too old.
4. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
(b) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
(c) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
(d) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
5. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
(a) They seldom know what's going on with their families in India.
(b) They lose touch with their families in India.
(c) They both become orphans.
(d) They become true Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
2. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
3. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
4. Where do women in India go to have babies?
5. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Ashima's grandmother name their grandchild as Ashima and Ashoke requested?
2. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
3. Why is Ashima afraid while in labor?
4. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
5. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
6. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
7. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
8. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
9. What happens when Gogol takes an English class in high school?
10. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)