|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
(a) They are swallowed by hugs and kisses.
(b) They look for a taxi to carry them to their destination.
(c) They can't find their luggage.
(d) They are detained by security.
2. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
(a) Raising it in a place so far from home.
(b) The difficulty of getting her figure back afterwards.
(c) The pain of childbirth.
(d) Caring for a child with an absent husband.
3. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
(a) The still sky above such a terrible scene.
(b) The twisted, battered, capsized bogies of the train.
(c) The terrible silence after that first, wrenching crash.
(d) The cries of the people trapped inside.
4. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
(a) She makes sure their wrist bands match.
(b) She shows them how to change his diapers.
(c) She leaves them alone for a while.
(d) She tells them that a child is a fragile thing.
5. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
(b) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
(c) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
(d) Her father has lost his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
2. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
3. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
4. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
5. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
2. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
3. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
4. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
5. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
6. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
7. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
8. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
9. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
10. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)