|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
(a) They communicate sporadically.
(b) They exchange long letters about once a month.
(c) They write letters, once as many as three a week.
(d) They call every evening at six, right after dinner.
2. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
(b) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
(c) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(d) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
3. In what type of neighborhood do the Gangulis finally purchase a home?
(a) Where Ashoke can get to work quickly.
(b) In the country, where there are no neighbors to look down on them.
(c) An ordinary area where plastic wading pools are left out on the lawns.
(d) In an historic area where they will be steeped in tradition.
4. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
(b) Ashima's grandmother.
(c) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
(d) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
5. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(b) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
(c) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(d) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
2. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
3. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
4. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
5. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashima think of the name Gogol that is chosen by her husband for their baby?
2. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
3. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
4. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
5. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
6. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
7. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
8. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
9. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
10. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)