|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
(b) He reads the Globe.
(c) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(d) He drags his fingers through his hair.
2. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
(a) He almost boasts to everyone about his name change.
(b) In stealth, not letting his classmates know about it.
(c) Only when necessary because paperwork doesn't match.
(d) Methodically, one paper at a time but in no hurry.
3. What difference does Ashima notice in her days before and after Gogol's birth?
(a) Now she isn't the center of attention when Ashoke is home.
(b) Now she has something to occupy her time.
(c) Now she can't seem to organize her days.
(d) Now friends stop by at all hours to see Gogol.
4. On the plane, why is Gogol happy to sit apart from his parents?
(a) Because he enjoys being on his own.
(b) Because he thinks no one will know they are related to him.
(c) He isn't happy, he's secretly afraid.
(d) He's glad because Sonia irritates him with her questions.
5. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
(b) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
(c) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(d) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
2. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
3. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
4. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
5. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
2. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
3. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
4. Why aren't Ashoke and Ashima concerned that they don't have a name picked out before the birth of their child?
5. What does Gogol do during the traditional rice ceremony when he is six months old?
6. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
7. What does Ashima think about while in labor?
8. Why does Ashoke choose the name Nikhil for Gogol when he begins school?
9. How does Gogol feel about his family during visits home from college?
10. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)