|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
(a) She gives thanks for a healthy child.
(b) She asks the nurse to give her child to her immediately.
(c) She cries from the pain.
(d) She begins to shiver profoundly.
2. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
(a) He feels he's somewhat of an expert on the subject.
(b) It filled a void in his class schedule.
(c) He feels it might answer questions about his heritage.
(d) One of the presenters is a cousin from India whom he has never met.
3. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
(a) She fears she'll forget her Indian heritage.
(b) She hates the clothes she wears.
(c) She fears she'll color a streak in her hair.
(d) She has no real concerns, she's pleased with her daughter.
4. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
(b) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(c) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
(d) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
5. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
(a) She returns those that are duplicates for gift certificates.
(b) The stores them in their original boxes for future use.
(c) She sets them aside for regifting.
(d) She finds places for them in Gogol's crowded room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
2. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
3. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
4. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
5. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
2. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
3. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
4. When Gogol is six, what event changes in the Ganguli family?
5. Who befriends Ashima at the hospital and how?
6. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
7. What does Ashoke think about while Ashima is in labor?
8. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
9. What happens when Gogol wants to see his girlfriend, Ruth, over the Christmas holidays?
10. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)