|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(b) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
(c) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(d) How to pronounce it correctly.
2. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(b) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(c) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
(d) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
3. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(b) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(c) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(d) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
4. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
(a) They become true Americans.
(b) They lose touch with their families in India.
(c) They both become orphans.
(d) They seldom know what's going on with their families in India.
5. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
(b) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
(c) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
(d) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
2. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
3. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
4. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
5. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gogol decide to do when he turns eighteen?
2. At college after changing his name, how does Gogol react to being called by his new name?
3. What happens to Gogol and Sonia while the family are sightseeing in India?
4. Why doesn't Gogol look forward to his fourteenth birthday party?
5. How do Ashima and Ashoke feel about Ruth when they learn of their son's girlfriend?
6. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
7. Why don't Ashima and Ashoke have a name picked out for their baby?
8. What job is Ashoke offered after finishing his college studies?
9. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
10. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)