|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
(a) The man who lent him the book that saved his life.
(b) God, he is a very religious man.
(c) All the people of his family who came before him.
(d) Gogol, the Russian writer who saved his life in the train wreck.
2. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
(b) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(c) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(d) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
3. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
(a) That he'd not wanted children so soon.
(b) How beautiful Ashima had been when they first met.
(c) That he has a meeting and must soon leave for a while.
(d) The conversation on the train before the train wreck.
4. Where does Gogol first begin to introduce himself to people as Nikhil?
(a) At the park where a little boy asks his name.
(b) At the bank where he gets a school loan.
(c) His first day of school in New Haven.
(d) As soon as he gets home he introduces his new self to his family.
5. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) It only comes to her knees.
(b) The back is open.
(c) She hates white.
(d) It's ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Gogol tell the judge he's changing his name?
3. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
4. In what type of neighborhood do the Gangulis finally purchase a home?
5. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gogol's train coming home from college is late?
2. What does Ashoke do for Gogol's fourteenth birthday?
3. What is Ashima doing when her water breaks?
4. What did Ashoke swear to do during his long recovery from the injuries he received during a train wreck when he was a young man?
5. What type of home do the Gangulis settle down in to raise their family?
6. How are the Ganguli family plans changed while preparing for a visit to India when Gogol is a year old?
7. What do the Ganguli family do during Ashoke's sabbatical?
8. How does Gogol react to the gifts he receives at his fourteenth birthday party?
9. What do the Gangulis do differently when naming their daughter Sonali than they did when Gogol was born?
10. Why doesn't the school call Gogol by the name Nikhil?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)