|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(b) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
(c) How much he hates train rides.
(d) How much in love his parents were.
2. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
(b) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(c) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(d) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
3. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
(b) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(c) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
(d) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
4. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
(b) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
(c) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
(d) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
5. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He misses his work and feels useless.
(b) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
(c) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
(d) He doesn't like the French culture.
6. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
(b) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
(c) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
(d) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
7. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
(a) She hopes he doesn't find a girlfriend because then he won't come home.
(b) She sees it as fate that eventually he will marry and leave her.
(c) She is quietly concerned and hopeful.
(d) She hopes he can find happiness as great as hers was.
8. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
(a) They are too polite to say so but they dislike him.
(b) They think he looks like a recent immigrant from India.
(c) They don't react any way, he's just another of Maxine's friends.
(d) They are intrigued by him.
9. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
(a) She is used to surprises.
(b) They talk every evening by phone so she expects it.
(c) She expects it to be Sonia, they talk often.
(d) She doesn't expect it to be him, they seldom call each other.
10. How had Moushumi become engaged before meeting Gogol?
(a) Graham had gotten on his knees and proposed just like in the movies.
(b) She'd asked her lover to marry her and he'd accepted.
(c) Her parents arranged the marriage.
(d) They'd realized they couldn't continue on as they were doing and just decided to marry.
11. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
(b) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
(c) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
(d) Every three weekends he comes home.
12. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
(a) He has a stomach ache, he thinks he ate some bad chicken.
(b) He fell and his coworkers rushed him to the hospital.
(c) He has unexplained leg cramps.
(d) He has been coughing a lot and thinks it might be pneumonia.
13. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
(a) Maxine wants to meet Gogol's parents.
(b) Gogol knows his mother won't rest until she meets Maxine.
(c) It's on their way to New Hampshire.
(d) Because Maxine is curious about how people from India live.
14. How do Gogol and Moushumi dress for their wedding reception?
(a) They dress for warm weather for their honeymoon.
(b) They are comfortable in casual clothes.
(c) They wear formal Western clothes.
(d) They revert to traditional Indian dress.
15. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
(b) In Paris.
(c) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
(d) She was on an extended visit to India.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
2. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
3. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
4. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
5. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)