|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(b) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(c) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
(d) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
2. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
(a) Gogol tells her he's going on vacation to Maxine's New Hampshire home.
(b) She corners Gogol and forces him to tell her.
(c) Ashima asks Gogol's friends.
(d) Maxine invites her to a party.
3. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
(a) Half Pint
(c) Dark Lady
4. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
(a) She's welcomed back by everyone she meets.
(b) She's at the top of her class.
(c) She will never again in her life take a class.
(d) She prefers her classmates over everyone else she'd ever met.
5. How had Moushumi become engaged before meeting Gogol?
(a) Graham had gotten on his knees and proposed just like in the movies.
(b) Her parents arranged the marriage.
(c) She'd asked her lover to marry her and he'd accepted.
(d) They'd realized they couldn't continue on as they were doing and just decided to marry.
6. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
(b) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
(c) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
(d) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
7. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works as a translator.
(b) She helps out at the library.
(c) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(d) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
8. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They shop for items for their apartment.
(b) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(c) They visit their families.
(d) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
9. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
(b) Every three weekends he comes home.
(c) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
(d) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
10. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(b) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(c) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(d) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
11. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
(b) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
(c) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
(d) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
12. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
(a) She makes a Xerox copy of it.
(b) She tears it into a hundred tiny pieces.
(c) She gives it to a professor with a strong recommendation.
(d) She takes it home to show Gogol.
13. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
(c) Watching television.
(d) Talking about shared childhood memories.
14. How is the Ratliff's house in New Hampshire different from the one in New York City?
(a) It's not, it's very similar, showing their taste in every piece of furniture.
(b) The windows are always open, unlike in New York City.
(c) It's a typical summer home with no personality at all.
(d) It's the complete opposite, dark, musty and full of primitive furniture.
15. What does Gogol remember in the days after his first date with Moushumi?
(a) How she'd finished his sentences for him.
(b) That he doesn't want to marry someone with a similar background to his.
(c) Things about her as a child that he'd forgotten.
(d) The way her hair blows in the wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi decide on?
2. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
3. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
4. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
5. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)