|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
(b) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
(c) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(d) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
2. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He is relieved to have his wife back.
(b) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
(c) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
(d) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
3. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(b) A well-organized military campaign.
(c) A three-ring circus.
(d) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
4. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
(b) A set of encyclopedias.
(c) Plane tickets.
(d) A weekend at a spa.
5. What happened to one of the administrative assistants at NYU?
(a) She had an aneurysm and died.
(b) She was fired.
(c) She was caught pilfering money.
(d) She was turned down for pregnancy leave.
6. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
(b) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
(c) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
(d) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
7. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
(b) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(c) She helps out at the library.
(d) She works as a translator.
8. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
(b) She figures she'll save money this way.
(c) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(d) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
9. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(b) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(c) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(d) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
10. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
(a) She corners Gogol and forces him to tell her.
(b) Ashima asks Gogol's friends.
(c) Gogol tells her he's going on vacation to Maxine's New Hampshire home.
(d) Maxine invites her to a party.
11. How do Gogol and Moushumi dress for their wedding reception?
(a) They dress for warm weather for their honeymoon.
(b) They wear formal Western clothes.
(c) They are comfortable in casual clothes.
(d) They revert to traditional Indian dress.
12. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He misses his work and feels useless.
(b) He doesn't like the French culture.
(c) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
(d) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
13. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
(a) That she doesn't like the style of the buildings.
(b) That she's horrified by the wide-open spaces and yards.
(c) That the landscape is foreign to her.
(d) That she feels at home in the normal, suburban environment.
14. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
(a) In India and America.
(b) They always lived in America.
(c) In England and America.
(d) They traveled the world during her childhood.
15. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) They feel effervescent and energized.
(b) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
(c) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
(d) They are worn out and just want to rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
2. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
3. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
4. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
5. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)