|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
(a) It's too spicy; Maxine doesn't like spicy food.
(b) There is too much food and it's too rich for the warm weather.
(c) It's not the kind of food Maxine is used to.
(d) His mother didn't care enough to prepare a nice meal.
2. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
(b) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(c) They visit their families.
(d) They shop for items for their apartment.
3. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He is relieved to have his wife back.
(b) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
(c) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
(d) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
4. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He misses his work and feels useless.
(b) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
(c) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
(d) He doesn't like the French culture.
5. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
(a) Gogol tells her he's going on vacation to Maxine's New Hampshire home.
(b) Maxine invites her to a party.
(c) Ashima asks Gogol's friends.
(d) She corners Gogol and forces him to tell her.
6. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
(a) Dark Lady
(d) Half Pint
7. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) The Red and the Black.
(b) A volume of love poems.
(c) Gone With the Wind.
(d) Shakespeare's poems.
8. Where do Moushumi and Dimitri first meet for lunch?
(a) His apartment.
(b) A cafe they both remember fondly.
(c) A cafe near the train station because they are both in a hurry.
(d) A park where they share bag lunches.
9. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) A set of encyclopedias.
(b) A weekend at a spa.
(c) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
(d) Plane tickets.
10. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Talking about shared childhood memories.
(b) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
(c) Watching television.
11. How does Ashima feel about Gogol's living with Maxine?
(a) She refuses to admit he's living with a woman he's not married to.
(b) She doesn't like it but knows she must accept it.
(c) She constantly tells him he must not live with her.
(d) She's glad because soon Gogol and Maxine will marry.
12. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
(b) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(c) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
(d) She doesn't see any changes at all.
13. How had Moushumi become engaged before meeting Gogol?
(a) She'd asked her lover to marry her and he'd accepted.
(b) They'd realized they couldn't continue on as they were doing and just decided to marry.
(c) Her parents arranged the marriage.
(d) Graham had gotten on his knees and proposed just like in the movies.
14. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
(a) Moushumi is asked to lecture there.
(b) Moushumi's father is there, they visit him and his new wife.
(c) It's a long-delayed honeymoon.
(d) Moushumi loves the city so Gogol suggests a trip there.
15. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
(b) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
(c) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(d) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
2. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
3. Who wants to introduce Gogol to a girl he used to know as a child?
4. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
5. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)