|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
(a) His sister Sonia calls him at Maxine's home.
(b) He calls his mother to chat minutes after she received the news.
(c) The police are dispatched because he can't be found.
(d) Maxine's parents speak with Ashima then tell him.
2. What happens while Moushumi and Gogol make love for the first time?
(a) The door is open and a neighbor comes in to visit.
(b) The neighbor's cat comes in through the window.
(c) Dinner burns and they must order something in.
(d) The phone rings and it's Gogol's mother.
3. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
(a) He buys a hat for her that she'd admired.
(b) He rushes home because he has work that's waiting.
(c) He drops her off at her apartment then goes home.
(d) He goes to a bar and has a quick drink.
4. What does Gogol remember in the days after his first date with Moushumi?
(a) Things about her as a child that he'd forgotten.
(b) The way her hair blows in the wind.
(c) How she'd finished his sentences for him.
(d) That he doesn't want to marry someone with a similar background to his.
5. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
(a) His mother didn't care enough to prepare a nice meal.
(b) It's not the kind of food Maxine is used to.
(c) There is too much food and it's too rich for the warm weather.
(d) It's too spicy; Maxine doesn't like spicy food.
6. What does a waiter think when he sees Gogol and Moushumi together?
(a) That they must share a similar heritage.
(b) That they are brother and sister.
(c) That they seem unhappy.
(d) That they must be in love.
7. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
(b) A weekend at a spa.
(c) Plane tickets.
(d) A set of encyclopedias.
8. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(b) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
(c) They shop for items for their apartment.
(d) They visit their families.
9. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
(a) A list of applicants Alice didn't finish going through.
(b) A schedule for Moushumi's classes.
(c) A confused and confusing personal letter to Alices' husband.
(d) A sender's name typed on the upper left corner of a letter.
10. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
(a) They traveled the world during her childhood.
(b) They always lived in America.
(c) In India and America.
(d) In England and America.
11. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
(b) She figures she'll save money this way.
(c) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(d) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
12. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) Useful household items.
(b) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
(c) Gifts of money.
(d) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
13. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
(a) He loved the customs of her people.
(b) He seemed to be while he was in India visiting her relatives.
(c) He wouldn't have anything to do with foreign customs.
(d) He was wary of her heritage from the start and said so.
14. What happened to one of the administrative assistants at NYU?
(a) She had an aneurysm and died.
(b) She was fired.
(c) She was caught pilfering money.
(d) She was turned down for pregnancy leave.
15. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) They meet in Central Park.
(b) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
(c) At Ashima's house.
(d) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine tell Gogol he should do while at his mother's house for the religious ceremony?
2. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
3. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
4. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
5. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)