|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) Gone With the Wind.
(b) The Red and the Black.
(c) Shakespeare's poems.
(d) A volume of love poems.
2. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
(a) In England and America.
(b) They traveled the world during her childhood.
(c) In India and America.
(d) They always lived in America.
3. How does Ashima feel about Gogol's living with Maxine?
(a) She's glad because soon Gogol and Maxine will marry.
(b) She refuses to admit he's living with a woman he's not married to.
(c) She doesn't like it but knows she must accept it.
(d) She constantly tells him he must not live with her.
4. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
(b) In Paris.
(c) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
(d) She was on an extended visit to India.
5. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
(a) They initiate him into the American ritual of Sunday afternoon football.
(b) They teach him how to play golf and tennis.
(c) They throw a party just for him.
(d) They introduce him to an architect who can advance his career.
6. How had Moushumi become engaged before meeting Gogol?
(a) She'd asked her lover to marry her and he'd accepted.
(b) They'd realized they couldn't continue on as they were doing and just decided to marry.
(c) Graham had gotten on his knees and proposed just like in the movies.
(d) Her parents arranged the marriage.
7. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(b) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
(c) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
(d) She doesn't see any changes at all.
8. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
(a) His parents arrange a meeting because he's old enough to marry.
(b) Coworkers invite him to a party she also attends.
(c) He bumps into her on the sidewalk and they laugh about it.
(d) She sees him and is interested and arranges a meeting.
9. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
(b) He is relieved to have his wife back.
(c) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
(d) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
10. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
(a) She's welcomed back by everyone she meets.
(b) She will never again in her life take a class.
(c) She prefers her classmates over everyone else she'd ever met.
(d) She's at the top of her class.
11. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
(a) Moushumi is asked to lecture there.
(b) Moushumi's father is there, they visit him and his new wife.
(c) It's a long-delayed honeymoon.
(d) Moushumi loves the city so Gogol suggests a trip there.
12. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
(a) He has unexplained leg cramps.
(b) He fell and his coworkers rushed him to the hospital.
(c) He has a stomach ache, he thinks he ate some bad chicken.
(d) He has been coughing a lot and thinks it might be pneumonia.
13. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
(b) The world she's always wanted and never had.
(c) The home she will return to in an hour or so.
14. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
(a) He was wary of her heritage from the start and said so.
(b) He wouldn't have anything to do with foreign customs.
(c) He seemed to be while he was in India visiting her relatives.
(d) He loved the customs of her people.
15. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(b) The cultural life of the city.
(c) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
(d) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
2. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
3. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
4. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
5. How do the Ganguli family friends react to the news of Ashoke's death?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)