|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) Plane tickets.
(b) A set of encyclopedias.
(c) A weekend at a spa.
(d) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
2. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(b) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
(c) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(d) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
3. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
(b) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(c) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
(d) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
4. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) She doesn't see any changes at all.
(b) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
(c) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(d) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
5. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
(b) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(c) A traditional Indian sari.
(d) A white flowing wedding dress.
6. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
(a) They throw a party just for him.
(b) They introduce him to an architect who can advance his career.
(c) They teach him how to play golf and tennis.
(d) They initiate him into the American ritual of Sunday afternoon football.
7. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
(a) That she's horrified by the wide-open spaces and yards.
(b) That she feels at home in the normal, suburban environment.
(c) That the landscape is foreign to her.
(d) That she doesn't like the style of the buildings.
8. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
(b) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
(c) Every three weekends he comes home.
(d) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
9. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
(b) There is no perfect name.
(c) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(d) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
10. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
(b) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
(c) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
(d) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
11. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
(b) A three-ring circus.
(c) A well-organized military campaign.
(d) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
12. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
(b) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(c) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
(d) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
13. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
(b) The world she's always wanted and never had.
(c) The home she will return to in an hour or so.
14. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
(b) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
(c) Gifts of money.
(d) Useful household items.
15. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
(b) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
(c) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
(d) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
2. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
3. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
4. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
5. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)