|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
(b) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
(c) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
(d) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
2. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(b) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
(c) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
(d) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
3. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
(a) A schedule for Moushumi's classes.
(b) A confused and confusing personal letter to Alices' husband.
(c) A list of applicants Alice didn't finish going through.
(d) A sender's name typed on the upper left corner of a letter.
4. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(b) They shop for items for their apartment.
(c) They visit their families.
(d) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
5. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
(b) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(c) There is no perfect name.
(d) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
6. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
(b) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
(c) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
(d) Every three weekends he comes home.
7. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) They feel effervescent and energized.
(b) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
(c) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
(d) They are worn out and just want to rest.
8. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
(a) Gogol doesn't return his mother's phone calls.
(b) Maxine doesn't like Gogol talking to his family, so he doesn't.
(c) Gogol is out of town and no one knows where he is.
(d) The phone lines are down.
9. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How much he hates train rides.
(b) How much in love his parents were.
(c) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(d) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
10. Where do Moushumi and Dimitri first meet for lunch?
(a) A park where they share bag lunches.
(b) A cafe near the train station because they are both in a hurry.
(c) His apartment.
(d) A cafe they both remember fondly.
11. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
(a) He buys a hat for her that she'd admired.
(b) He drops her off at her apartment then goes home.
(c) He rushes home because he has work that's waiting.
(d) He goes to a bar and has a quick drink.
12. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
(a) She sees him and is interested and arranges a meeting.
(b) His parents arrange a meeting because he's old enough to marry.
(c) Coworkers invite him to a party she also attends.
(d) He bumps into her on the sidewalk and they laugh about it.
13. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works as a translator.
(b) She helps out at the library.
(c) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
(d) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
14. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Talking about shared childhood memories.
(b) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
(c) Watching television.
15. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
(a) Her dog Silas.
(b) Her entire family and their lifestyle.
(c) Her taste in houses because he's an architect.
(d) Her friends because they are so like Maxine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
2. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
3. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
4. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
5. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)