Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
(a) He is taken aback by her boldness.
(b) He wishes she'd leave him alone.
(c) He is flattered by the boldness of her actions.
(d) He is curious because he's never met someone so shy.
2. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) They meet in Central Park.
(b) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
(c) At Ashima's house.
(d) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
3. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
(a) A jewel of great price.
(b) A woman of mystery and night.
(c) A damp, southwesterly breeze.
(d) A dark-haired beauty.
4. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
(a) He was wary of her heritage from the start and said so.
(b) He loved the customs of her people.
(c) He seemed to be while he was in India visiting her relatives.
(d) He wouldn't have anything to do with foreign customs.
5. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(b) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
(c) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
(d) The cultural life of the city.
6. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(b) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(c) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(d) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
7. What does Gogol do as soon as he gets the news of his father's death?
(a) He flies to Ohio to take care of things.
(b) He tries and fails to get time off from work.
(c) He tells Sonia he can't get away and asks her to take care of things.
(d) He rushes home to comfort his mother.
8. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
(a) It's on their way to New Hampshire.
(b) Gogol knows his mother won't rest until she meets Maxine.
(c) Because Maxine is curious about how people from India live.
(d) Maxine wants to meet Gogol's parents.
9. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
(a) They are intrigued by him.
(b) They are too polite to say so but they dislike him.
(c) They don't react any way, he's just another of Maxine's friends.
(d) They think he looks like a recent immigrant from India.
10. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(b) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
(c) She doesn't see any changes at all.
(d) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
11. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
(b) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
(c) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(d) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
12. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) They are worn out and just want to rest.
(b) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
(c) They feel effervescent and energized.
(d) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
13. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(b) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
(c) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(d) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
14. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
(a) Take any leftover clothing to Good Will.
(b) Get out of the apartment and check into a hotel.
(c) Pick out some mememtos for himself.
(d) Spend some time remembering good times with his father.
15. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(b) Watching television.
(c) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
(d) Talking about shared childhood memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
2. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
3. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
4. Where do Moushumi and Dimitri first meet for lunch?
5. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)