|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maxine tell Gogol he should do while at his mother's house for the religious ceremony?
(a) She tells him his family needs him and he should stay there for a while.
(b) She tells him he should get away and go to New Hampshire.
(c) She tells him that she now sees they are too different to be together permanently.
(d) She tells him that she will try to fit in with his culture.
2. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) She doesn't see any changes at all.
(b) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
(c) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(d) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
3. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Talking about shared childhood memories.
(c) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
4. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) Useful household items.
(b) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
(c) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
(d) Gifts of money.
5. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
(a) She hopes he can find happiness as great as hers was.
(b) She is quietly concerned and hopeful.
(c) She hopes he doesn't find a girlfriend because then he won't come home.
(d) She sees it as fate that eventually he will marry and leave her.
6. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(b) They visit their families.
(c) They shop for items for their apartment.
(d) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
7. Who wants to introduce Gogol to a girl he used to know as a child?
(a) A neighbor who knew them both as a child.
(b) His mother Ashima.
(c) His sister Sonia.
(d) His coworkers who met her recently at a party.
8. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
(b) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(c) How much he hates train rides.
(d) How much in love his parents were.
9. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
(b) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
(c) Every three weekends he comes home.
(d) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
10. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
(a) Moushumi's father is there, they visit him and his new wife.
(b) Moushumi loves the city so Gogol suggests a trip there.
(c) Moushumi is asked to lecture there.
(d) It's a long-delayed honeymoon.
11. How is the Ratliff's house in New Hampshire different from the one in New York City?
(a) It's the complete opposite, dark, musty and full of primitive furniture.
(b) The windows are always open, unlike in New York City.
(c) It's not, it's very similar, showing their taste in every piece of furniture.
(d) It's a typical summer home with no personality at all.
12. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi decide on?
(a) A traditional Indian wedding with some differences.
(b) They marry in the courthouse during their lunch hour.
(c) A small wedding at Moushumi's family home.
(d) A typical American wedding like their friends have had.
13. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(b) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
(c) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
(d) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
14. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
(b) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
(c) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
(d) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
15. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
(a) There is too much food and it's too rich for the warm weather.
(b) It's not the kind of food Maxine is used to.
(c) It's too spicy; Maxine doesn't like spicy food.
(d) His mother didn't care enough to prepare a nice meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
2. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
3. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
4. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
5. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)