|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
(a) Unlike when they first met, he's attentive.
(b) He's finally achieved the self-confidence he always wanted.
(c) Some gray has come into his hair and some lines are around his mouth and eyes.
(d) She doesn't see any changes at all.
2. How does Ashima feel about Gogol's living with Maxine?
(a) She doesn't like it but knows she must accept it.
(b) She refuses to admit he's living with a woman he's not married to.
(c) She constantly tells him he must not live with her.
(d) She's glad because soon Gogol and Maxine will marry.
3. How do Gogol and Moushumi dress for their wedding reception?
(a) They wear formal Western clothes.
(b) They dress for warm weather for their honeymoon.
(c) They revert to traditional Indian dress.
(d) They are comfortable in casual clothes.
4. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
(a) The world she's always wanted and never had.
(c) The home she will return to in an hour or so.
5. What does Gogol remember in the days after his first date with Moushumi?
(a) The way her hair blows in the wind.
(b) Things about her as a child that he'd forgotten.
(c) How she'd finished his sentences for him.
(d) That he doesn't want to marry someone with a similar background to his.
6. What happens while Moushumi and Gogol make love for the first time?
(a) The neighbor's cat comes in through the window.
(b) The door is open and a neighbor comes in to visit.
(c) The phone rings and it's Gogol's mother.
(d) Dinner burns and they must order something in.
7. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(b) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
(c) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
(d) The cultural life of the city.
8. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
(b) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
(c) They are worn out and just want to rest.
(d) They feel effervescent and energized.
9. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
(b) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(c) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(d) There is no perfect name.
10. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
(a) She can't remember Maxine's name.
(b) She burns lunch.
(c) She mumbles, something she only does when she's nervous.
(d) She's wearing makeup and a good sari.
11. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
(a) Their relationship grew stronger.
(b) He stepped out of her life after many arguments.
(c) They became bored with each other and separated.
(d) They each began seeing other people.
12. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
(a) Dark Lady
(d) Half Pint
13. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
(b) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(c) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
(d) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
14. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(b) A traditional Indian sari.
(c) A white flowing wedding dress.
(d) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
15. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
(a) Gogol is out of town and no one knows where he is.
(b) The phone lines are down.
(c) Gogol doesn't return his mother's phone calls.
(d) Maxine doesn't like Gogol talking to his family, so he doesn't.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
2. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
3. Who wants to introduce Gogol to a girl he used to know as a child?
4. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
5. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)