|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
(a) Maxine invites her to a party.
(b) Gogol tells her he's going on vacation to Maxine's New Hampshire home.
(c) She corners Gogol and forces him to tell her.
(d) Ashima asks Gogol's friends.
2. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How much in love his parents were.
(b) How much he hates train rides.
(c) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(d) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
3. Where do Moushumi and Dimitri first meet for lunch?
(a) A cafe they both remember fondly.
(b) His apartment.
(c) A park where they share bag lunches.
(d) A cafe near the train station because they are both in a hurry.
4. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
(a) They initiate him into the American ritual of Sunday afternoon football.
(b) They introduce him to an architect who can advance his career.
(c) They teach him how to play golf and tennis.
(d) They throw a party just for him.
5. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She helps out at the library.
(b) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(c) She works as a translator.
(d) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
6. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
(b) She figures she'll save money this way.
(c) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(d) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
7. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
(a) It's a long-delayed honeymoon.
(b) Moushumi's father is there, they visit him and his new wife.
(c) Moushumi loves the city so Gogol suggests a trip there.
(d) Moushumi is asked to lecture there.
8. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
(a) She can't remember Maxine's name.
(b) She's wearing makeup and a good sari.
(c) She burns lunch.
(d) She mumbles, something she only does when she's nervous.
9. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
(a) It's not their way.
(b) He doesn't have time to sort through things.
(c) There's nothing of personal importance in the apartment.
(d) He doesn't want to make her cry.
10. Who wants to introduce Gogol to a girl he used to know as a child?
(a) His sister Sonia.
(b) His coworkers who met her recently at a party.
(c) His mother Ashima.
(d) A neighbor who knew them both as a child.
11. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They shop for items for their apartment.
(b) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
(c) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(d) They visit their families.
12. How is the Ratliff's house in New Hampshire different from the one in New York City?
(a) It's a typical summer home with no personality at all.
(b) It's the complete opposite, dark, musty and full of primitive furniture.
(c) The windows are always open, unlike in New York City.
(d) It's not, it's very similar, showing their taste in every piece of furniture.
13. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
(b) In Paris.
(c) She was on an extended visit to India.
(d) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
14. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
(a) Because her mother still does not know how to drive.
(b) Because she wants to be like other American women.
(c) Because she's not completely comfortable in her marriage.
(d) Because being dependent makes her feel claustrophobic.
15. What happens while Moushumi and Gogol make love for the first time?
(a) The neighbor's cat comes in through the window.
(b) Dinner burns and they must order something in.
(c) The door is open and a neighbor comes in to visit.
(d) The phone rings and it's Gogol's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
2. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
3. How do Gogol and Moushumi dress for their wedding reception?
4. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
5. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)