|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(b) How much in love his parents were.
(c) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
(d) How much he hates train rides.
2. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
(b) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
(c) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
(d) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
3. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(b) That he's never had a dog.
(c) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(d) That he's afraid of dogs.
4. What happened to one of the administrative assistants at NYU?
(a) She was turned down for pregnancy leave.
(b) She was fired.
(c) She was caught pilfering money.
(d) She had an aneurysm and died.
5. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
(b) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
(c) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(d) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
6. Who wants to introduce Gogol to a girl he used to know as a child?
(a) A neighbor who knew them both as a child.
(b) His sister Sonia.
(c) His mother Ashima.
(d) His coworkers who met her recently at a party.
7. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
(b) In Paris.
(c) She was on an extended visit to India.
(d) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
8. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
(a) That the landscape is foreign to her.
(b) That she's horrified by the wide-open spaces and yards.
(c) That she doesn't like the style of the buildings.
(d) That she feels at home in the normal, suburban environment.
9. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
(b) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
(c) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
(d) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
10. How do Gogol and Moushumi dress for their wedding reception?
(a) They are comfortable in casual clothes.
(b) They dress for warm weather for their honeymoon.
(c) They revert to traditional Indian dress.
(d) They wear formal Western clothes.
11. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
(a) He is curious because he's never met someone so shy.
(b) He is flattered by the boldness of her actions.
(c) He is taken aback by her boldness.
(d) He wishes she'd leave him alone.
12. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(b) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
(c) The cultural life of the city.
(d) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
13. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
(a) He seemed to be while he was in India visiting her relatives.
(b) He was wary of her heritage from the start and said so.
(c) He loved the customs of her people.
(d) He wouldn't have anything to do with foreign customs.
14. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
(a) She sees him and is interested and arranges a meeting.
(b) He bumps into her on the sidewalk and they laugh about it.
(c) Coworkers invite him to a party she also attends.
(d) His parents arrange a meeting because he's old enough to marry.
15. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(b) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
(c) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(d) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
2. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
3. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
4. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
5. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)