|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
(a) Because she wants to be like other American women.
(b) Because she's not completely comfortable in her marriage.
(c) Because her mother still does not know how to drive.
(d) Because being dependent makes her feel claustrophobic.
2. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
(a) She will never again in her life take a class.
(b) She's at the top of her class.
(c) She prefers her classmates over everyone else she'd ever met.
(d) She's welcomed back by everyone she meets.
3. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How much in love his parents were.
(b) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(c) How much he hates train rides.
(d) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
4. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(b) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(c) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(d) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
5. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
(a) She is quietly concerned and hopeful.
(b) She hopes he can find happiness as great as hers was.
(c) She sees it as fate that eventually he will marry and leave her.
(d) She hopes he doesn't find a girlfriend because then he won't come home.
6. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) A set of encyclopedias.
(b) A weekend at a spa.
(c) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
(d) Plane tickets.
7. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
(a) A woman of mystery and night.
(b) A jewel of great price.
(c) A damp, southwesterly breeze.
(d) A dark-haired beauty.
8. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(b) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(c) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
(d) There is no perfect name.
9. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
(a) They are too polite to say so but they dislike him.
(b) They are intrigued by him.
(c) They think he looks like a recent immigrant from India.
(d) They don't react any way, he's just another of Maxine's friends.
10. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi decide on?
(a) A traditional Indian wedding with some differences.
(b) A typical American wedding like their friends have had.
(c) A small wedding at Moushumi's family home.
(d) They marry in the courthouse during their lunch hour.
11. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(b) That he's afraid of dogs.
(c) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(d) That he's never had a dog.
12. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
(b) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(c) The cultural life of the city.
(d) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
13. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
(a) Was the date the disaster each expected?
(b) Is she as lonely as he is?
(c) Should they make their parents happy and see each other again?
(d) How soon can he see her again?
14. How do the Ganguli family friends react to the news of Ashoke's death?
(a) They tell the Ganguli family that they can now return to India.
(b) They all respond with visits, calls, and cards.
(c) They take turns helping with household chores.
(d) They are shocked and don't know what to say.
15. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
(a) He buys a hat for her that she'd admired.
(b) He drops her off at her apartment then goes home.
(c) He rushes home because he has work that's waiting.
(d) He goes to a bar and has a quick drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
2. What does Gogol do as soon as he gets the news of his father's death?
3. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
4. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
5. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)