|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) The Red and the Black.
(b) Shakespeare's poems.
(c) A volume of love poems.
(d) Gone With the Wind.
2. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
(a) Times growing up that they were together.
(b) Their careers and their educations.
(c) How much they both hated their family's traditions.
(d) Mutual friends.
3. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he's never had a dog.
(b) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(c) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(d) That he's afraid of dogs.
4. What does Gogol do as soon as he gets the news of his father's death?
(a) He rushes home to comfort his mother.
(b) He tells Sonia he can't get away and asks her to take care of things.
(c) He tries and fails to get time off from work.
(d) He flies to Ohio to take care of things.
5. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
(a) They are intrigued by him.
(b) They don't react any way, he's just another of Maxine's friends.
(c) They are too polite to say so but they dislike him.
(d) They think he looks like a recent immigrant from India.
6. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) Gifts of money.
(b) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
(c) Useful household items.
(d) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
7. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) Plane tickets.
(b) A set of encyclopedias.
(c) A weekend at a spa.
(d) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
8. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
(a) She makes a Xerox copy of it.
(b) She takes it home to show Gogol.
(c) She tears it into a hundred tiny pieces.
(d) She gives it to a professor with a strong recommendation.
9. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(b) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(c) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(d) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
10. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
(a) His parents arrange a meeting because he's old enough to marry.
(b) Coworkers invite him to a party she also attends.
(c) She sees him and is interested and arranges a meeting.
(d) He bumps into her on the sidewalk and they laugh about it.
11. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) She figures she'll save money this way.
(b) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
(c) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
(d) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
12. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) They are worn out and just want to rest.
(b) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
(c) They feel effervescent and energized.
(d) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
13. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
(b) She was on an extended visit to India.
(c) In Paris.
(d) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
14. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
(a) Because she's not completely comfortable in her marriage.
(b) Because her mother still does not know how to drive.
(c) Because she wants to be like other American women.
(d) Because being dependent makes her feel claustrophobic.
15. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(b) She helps out at the library.
(c) She works as a translator.
(d) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
2. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
3. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
4. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
5. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)