|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
(a) He has a stomach ache, he thinks he ate some bad chicken.
(b) He has been coughing a lot and thinks it might be pneumonia.
(c) He fell and his coworkers rushed him to the hospital.
(d) He has unexplained leg cramps.
2. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
(a) Dark Lady
(c) Half Pint
3. What happened to one of the administrative assistants at NYU?
(a) She was fired.
(b) She was turned down for pregnancy leave.
(c) She had an aneurysm and died.
(d) She was caught pilfering money.
4. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(b) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(c) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(d) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
5. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(b) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(c) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(d) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
6. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
(b) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
(c) Useful household items.
(d) Gifts of money.
7. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
(a) He rushes home because he has work that's waiting.
(b) He buys a hat for her that she'd admired.
(c) He drops her off at her apartment then goes home.
(d) He goes to a bar and has a quick drink.
8. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
(a) How soon can he see her again?
(b) Is she as lonely as he is?
(c) Was the date the disaster each expected?
(d) Should they make their parents happy and see each other again?
9. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
(a) Because she wants to be like other American women.
(b) Because being dependent makes her feel claustrophobic.
(c) Because her mother still does not know how to drive.
(d) Because she's not completely comfortable in her marriage.
10. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(b) There is no perfect name.
(c) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(d) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
11. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
(b) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
(c) He is relieved to have his wife back.
(d) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
12. What does Gogol do as soon as he gets the news of his father's death?
(a) He flies to Ohio to take care of things.
(b) He tries and fails to get time off from work.
(c) He rushes home to comfort his mother.
(d) He tells Sonia he can't get away and asks her to take care of things.
13. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) Shakespeare's poems.
(b) Gone With the Wind.
(c) The Red and the Black.
(d) A volume of love poems.
14. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
(a) That she's horrified by the wide-open spaces and yards.
(b) That she doesn't like the style of the buildings.
(c) That the landscape is foreign to her.
(d) That she feels at home in the normal, suburban environment.
15. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(b) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
(c) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
(d) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Ratliff's house in New Hampshire different from the one in New York City?
2. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
3. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
4. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
5. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)