|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
(a) Coworkers invite him to a party she also attends.
(b) His parents arrange a meeting because he's old enough to marry.
(c) She sees him and is interested and arranges a meeting.
(d) He bumps into her on the sidewalk and they laugh about it.
2. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
(a) She's wearing makeup and a good sari.
(b) She can't remember Maxine's name.
(c) She burns lunch.
(d) She mumbles, something she only does when she's nervous.
3. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
(b) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(c) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(d) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
4. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
(b) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
(c) Useful household items.
(d) Gifts of money.
5. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
(a) Her entire family and their lifestyle.
(b) Her friends because they are so like Maxine.
(c) Her taste in houses because he's an architect.
(d) Her dog Silas.
6. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
(b) Her family in India.
7. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) The cultural life of the city.
(b) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(c) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
(d) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
8. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
(a) Gogol doesn't return his mother's phone calls.
(b) The phone lines are down.
(c) Maxine doesn't like Gogol talking to his family, so he doesn't.
(d) Gogol is out of town and no one knows where he is.
9. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
(a) He wishes she'd leave him alone.
(b) He is taken aback by her boldness.
(c) He is flattered by the boldness of her actions.
(d) He is curious because he's never met someone so shy.
10. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(b) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
(c) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(d) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
11. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) At Ashima's house.
(b) They meet in Central Park.
(c) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
(d) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
12. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
(b) They are worn out and just want to rest.
(c) They feel effervescent and energized.
(d) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
13. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
(a) They are too polite to say so but they dislike him.
(b) They are intrigued by him.
(c) They don't react any way, he's just another of Maxine's friends.
(d) They think he looks like a recent immigrant from India.
14. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
(b) He is relieved to have his wife back.
(c) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
(d) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
15. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(b) That he's afraid of dogs.
(c) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(d) That he's never had a dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
2. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
3. What does Gogol do as soon as he gets the news of his father's death?
4. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
5. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)