|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
(b) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
(c) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
(d) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
2. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
(a) They talk every evening by phone so she expects it.
(b) She doesn't expect it to be him, they seldom call each other.
(c) She expects it to be Sonia, they talk often.
(d) She is used to surprises.
3. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
(a) They became bored with each other and separated.
(b) Their relationship grew stronger.
(c) He stepped out of her life after many arguments.
(d) They each began seeing other people.
4. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
(b) He misses his work and feels useless.
(c) He doesn't like the French culture.
(d) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
5. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
(a) They always lived in America.
(b) In England and America.
(c) In India and America.
(d) They traveled the world during her childhood.
6. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
(b) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
(c) At Ashima's house.
(d) They meet in Central Park.
7. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) The cultural life of the city.
(b) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
(c) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(d) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
8. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
(b) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
(c) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
(d) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
9. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
(a) He has been coughing a lot and thinks it might be pneumonia.
(b) He has a stomach ache, he thinks he ate some bad chicken.
(c) He has unexplained leg cramps.
(d) He fell and his coworkers rushed him to the hospital.
10. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
(b) Her family in India.
11. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi decide on?
(a) A typical American wedding like their friends have had.
(b) A small wedding at Moushumi's family home.
(c) They marry in the courthouse during their lunch hour.
(d) A traditional Indian wedding with some differences.
12. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) A weekend at a spa.
(b) A set of encyclopedias.
(c) Plane tickets.
(d) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
13. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(b) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(c) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
(d) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
14. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he's afraid of dogs.
(b) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(c) That he's never had a dog.
(d) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
15. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
(a) A confused and confusing personal letter to Alices' husband.
(b) A schedule for Moushumi's classes.
(c) A list of applicants Alice didn't finish going through.
(d) A sender's name typed on the upper left corner of a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
2. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
3. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
4. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
5. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)