|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
(b) At Ashima's house.
(c) They meet in Central Park.
(d) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
2. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
(a) She expects it to be Sonia, they talk often.
(b) She doesn't expect it to be him, they seldom call each other.
(c) They talk every evening by phone so she expects it.
(d) She is used to surprises.
3. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(b) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(c) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(d) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
4. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
(c) The home she will return to in an hour or so.
(d) The world she's always wanted and never had.
5. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
(b) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
(c) The cultural life of the city.
(d) Nothing, they avoided going there.
6. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
(a) She hopes he can find happiness as great as hers was.
(b) She hopes he doesn't find a girlfriend because then he won't come home.
(c) She sees it as fate that eventually he will marry and leave her.
(d) She is quietly concerned and hopeful.
7. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works as a translator.
(b) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(c) She helps out at the library.
(d) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
8. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
(a) Moushumi's father is there, they visit him and his new wife.
(b) Moushumi is asked to lecture there.
(c) Moushumi loves the city so Gogol suggests a trip there.
(d) It's a long-delayed honeymoon.
9. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She makes her own Christmas cards.
(b) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
(c) She gets to know her neighbors better.
(d) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
10. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
(a) She overheard him criticizing her Indian heritage.
(b) Moushumi's parents didn't approve so she ended it.
(c) An old girlfriend of Graham's showed up and he left with her.
(d) She needed her freedom and broke it off.
11. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Talking about shared childhood memories.
(c) Watching television.
(d) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
12. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
(a) Half Pint
(b) Dark Lady
13. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) Every three weekends he comes home.
(b) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
(c) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
(d) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
14. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
(a) She's welcomed back by everyone she meets.
(b) She's at the top of her class.
(c) She will never again in her life take a class.
(d) She prefers her classmates over everyone else she'd ever met.
15. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
(a) He still feels left out because they are Moushumi's friends.
(b) He is relieved to have his wife back.
(c) He wishes they were still in Paris; at least people spoke to him there.
(d) He feels guilty that Moushumi is left out but he figures it's her turn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
2. How is the Ratliff's house in New Hampshire different from the one in New York City?
3. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
4. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
5. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)