|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(b) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
(c) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
(d) She figures she'll save money this way.
2. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(b) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
(c) They shop for items for their apartment.
(d) They visit their families.
3. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
(a) His mother didn't care enough to prepare a nice meal.
(b) It's too spicy; Maxine doesn't like spicy food.
(c) It's not the kind of food Maxine is used to.
(d) There is too much food and it's too rich for the warm weather.
4. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
(b) She was on an extended visit to India.
(c) In Paris.
(d) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
5. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
(b) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
(c) Gifts of money.
(d) Useful household items.
6. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
(a) He calls his mother to chat minutes after she received the news.
(b) His sister Sonia calls him at Maxine's home.
(c) The police are dispatched because he can't be found.
(d) Maxine's parents speak with Ashima then tell him.
7. How does Ashima feel about Gogol's living with Maxine?
(a) She refuses to admit he's living with a woman he's not married to.
(b) She doesn't like it but knows she must accept it.
(c) She constantly tells him he must not live with her.
(d) She's glad because soon Gogol and Maxine will marry.
8. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) They meet in Central Park.
(b) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
(c) At Ashima's house.
(d) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
9. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
(a) How soon can he see her again?
(b) Was the date the disaster each expected?
(c) Should they make their parents happy and see each other again?
(d) Is she as lonely as he is?
10. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
(a) She takes it home to show Gogol.
(b) She makes a Xerox copy of it.
(c) She gives it to a professor with a strong recommendation.
(d) She tears it into a hundred tiny pieces.
11. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(b) That he's afraid of dogs.
(c) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(d) That he's never had a dog.
12. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
(a) The phone lines are down.
(b) Gogol doesn't return his mother's phone calls.
(c) Gogol is out of town and no one knows where he is.
(d) Maxine doesn't like Gogol talking to his family, so he doesn't.
13. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
(c) Talking about shared childhood memories.
14. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) Shakespeare's poems.
(b) Gone With the Wind.
(c) The Red and the Black.
(d) A volume of love poems.
15. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
(a) Her friends because they are so like Maxine.
(b) Her taste in houses because he's an architect.
(c) Her dog Silas.
(d) Her entire family and their lifestyle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Ganguli children help their mother after their father's death?
2. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
3. Why doesn't Gogol bring things home from his father's apartment in Ohio for his mother?
4. Why do Moushumi and Gogol go to Paris after they are married?
5. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)