|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She makes her own Christmas cards.
(b) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
(c) She gets to know her neighbors better.
(d) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
2. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
(a) He is flattered by the boldness of her actions.
(b) He wishes she'd leave him alone.
(c) He is curious because he's never met someone so shy.
(d) He is taken aback by her boldness.
3. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
(a) The police are dispatched because he can't be found.
(b) His sister Sonia calls him at Maxine's home.
(c) Maxine's parents speak with Ashima then tell him.
(d) He calls his mother to chat minutes after she received the news.
4. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(b) How much he hates train rides.
(c) How much in love his parents were.
(d) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
5. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(b) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(c) There is no perfect name.
(d) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
6. What does Gogol remember in the days after his first date with Moushumi?
(a) The way her hair blows in the wind.
(b) How she'd finished his sentences for him.
(c) That he doesn't want to marry someone with a similar background to his.
(d) Things about her as a child that he'd forgotten.
7. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
(a) Her entire family and their lifestyle.
(b) Her taste in houses because he's an architect.
(c) Her dog Silas.
(d) Her friends because they are so like Maxine.
8. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
(a) She works as a translator.
(b) She works for a home decorator as a consultant.
(c) She works behind the counter at a nearby fast food place.
(d) She helps out at the library.
9. What happened to Gogol's relationship with Maxine after his father died?
(a) They each began seeing other people.
(b) Their relationship grew stronger.
(c) He stepped out of her life after many arguments.
(d) They became bored with each other and separated.
10. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
(a) She is used to surprises.
(b) She doesn't expect it to be him, they seldom call each other.
(c) They talk every evening by phone so she expects it.
(d) She expects it to be Sonia, they talk often.
11. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(b) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
(c) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
(d) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
12. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
(a) He feels like they are only pretending to like him.
(b) He feels like he doesn't belong and never will.
(c) He is uncomfortable with their overly friendly attitude towards him.
(d) He feels like he's effortlessly incorporated into their lives.
13. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A traditional Indian sari.
(b) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(c) A white flowing wedding dress.
(d) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
14. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
(a) Because she wants to be like other American women.
(b) Because being dependent makes her feel claustrophobic.
(c) Because her mother still does not know how to drive.
(d) Because she's not completely comfortable in her marriage.
15. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(b) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(c) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(d) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine tell Gogol he should do while at his mother's house for the religious ceremony?
2. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
3. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
4. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
5. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)