|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
(a) Her taste in houses because he's an architect.
(b) Her entire family and their lifestyle.
(c) Her dog Silas.
(d) Her friends because they are so like Maxine.
2. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) Shakespeare's poems.
(b) A volume of love poems.
(c) Gone With the Wind.
(d) The Red and the Black.
3. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
(a) She's wearing makeup and a good sari.
(b) She can't remember Maxine's name.
(c) She burns lunch.
(d) She mumbles, something she only does when she's nervous.
4. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
(b) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(c) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
(d) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
5. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) Useful household items.
(b) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
(c) Gifts of money.
(d) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
6. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A well-organized military campaign.
(b) A three-ring circus.
(c) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(d) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
7. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
(b) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
(c) She gets to know her neighbors better.
(d) She makes her own Christmas cards.
8. What unexpected effect does the wedding have on Gogol and Moushumi?
(a) They are worn out and just want to rest.
(b) It makes them realize how serious marriage truly is.
(c) They feel greater respect for their Indian heritage.
(d) They feel effervescent and energized.
9. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
(a) Pick out some mememtos for himself.
(b) Spend some time remembering good times with his father.
(c) Take any leftover clothing to Good Will.
(d) Get out of the apartment and check into a hotel.
10. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
(b) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
(c) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(d) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
11. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A white flowing wedding dress.
(b) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(c) A traditional Indian sari.
(d) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
12. What does a waiter think when he sees Gogol and Moushumi together?
(a) That they must be in love.
(b) That they seem unhappy.
(c) That they must share a similar heritage.
(d) That they are brother and sister.
13. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
(a) He feels like he doesn't belong and never will.
(b) He feels like they are only pretending to like him.
(c) He is uncomfortable with their overly friendly attitude towards him.
(d) He feels like he's effortlessly incorporated into their lives.
14. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(b) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
(c) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(d) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
15. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
(a) A dark-haired beauty.
(b) A damp, southwesterly breeze.
(c) A jewel of great price.
(d) A woman of mystery and night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol sense about Maxine's reaction to the neighborhood where he lives?
2. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
3. How has Dimitri changed since Moushumi first met him?
4. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
5. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)