|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
(b) She gets to know her neighbors better.
(c) She makes her own Christmas cards.
(d) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
2. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
(a) She gives it to a professor with a strong recommendation.
(b) She makes a Xerox copy of it.
(c) She tears it into a hundred tiny pieces.
(d) She takes it home to show Gogol.
3. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
(b) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
(c) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(d) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
4. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
(b) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
(c) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
(d) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
5. What happened to one of the administrative assistants at NYU?
(a) She was turned down for pregnancy leave.
(b) She was caught pilfering money.
(c) She had an aneurysm and died.
(d) She was fired.
6. What happens while Moushumi and Gogol make love for the first time?
(a) The phone rings and it's Gogol's mother.
(b) The neighbor's cat comes in through the window.
(c) The door is open and a neighbor comes in to visit.
(d) Dinner burns and they must order something in.
7. How does Ashima feel about Gogol's living with Maxine?
(a) She doesn't like it but knows she must accept it.
(b) She's glad because soon Gogol and Maxine will marry.
(c) She constantly tells him he must not live with her.
(d) She refuses to admit he's living with a woman he's not married to.
8. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
(a) How much they both hated their family's traditions.
(b) Mutual friends.
(c) Times growing up that they were together.
(d) Their careers and their educations.
9. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A white flowing wedding dress.
(b) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(c) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
(d) A traditional Indian sari.
10. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
(b) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(c) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
(d) She figures she'll save money this way.
11. Why doesn't Gogol enjoy the trip to Paris with Moushumi as much as he expected?
(a) He worries about his mother alone and a widow.
(b) He doesn't like the French culture.
(c) He misses his work and feels useless.
(d) He feels left out of Moushumi's circle of friends.
12. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
(a) She mumbles, something she only does when she's nervous.
(b) She burns lunch.
(c) She can't remember Maxine's name.
(d) She's wearing makeup and a good sari.
13. How do Gogol and Moushumi dress for their wedding reception?
(a) They dress for warm weather for their honeymoon.
(b) They revert to traditional Indian dress.
(c) They wear formal Western clothes.
(d) They are comfortable in casual clothes.
14. How often does Ashima see Ashoke while he's working in Ohio?
(a) His job doesn't allow for him to come home at all.
(b) Every weekend, though it is expensive that often.
(c) Once a month, it's all the time off he can get.
(d) Every three weekends he comes home.
15. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) Gone With the Wind.
(b) A volume of love poems.
(c) The Red and the Black.
(d) Shakespeare's poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
2. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
3. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
4. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
5. What does a waiter think when he sees Gogol and Moushumi together?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)