|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(b) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(c) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(d) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
2. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
(a) He calls his mother to chat minutes after she received the news.
(b) His sister Sonia calls him at Maxine's home.
(c) Maxine's parents speak with Ashima then tell him.
(d) The police are dispatched because he can't be found.
3. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(a) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
(c) Talking about shared childhood memories.
(d) Watching television.
4. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(b) A well-organized military campaign.
(c) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
(d) A three-ring circus.
5. What does Gogol ask Moushumi at the end of their first date?
(a) How soon can he see her again?
(b) Should they make their parents happy and see each other again?
(c) Is she as lonely as he is?
(d) Was the date the disaster each expected?
6. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
(a) She can't remember Maxine's name.
(b) She's wearing makeup and a good sari.
(c) She burns lunch.
(d) She mumbles, something she only does when she's nervous.
7. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(b) That he's never had a dog.
(c) That he's afraid of dogs.
(d) That he's intrigued by Silas.
8. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
(b) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(c) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(d) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
9. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
(a) A dark-haired beauty.
(b) A jewel of great price.
(c) A woman of mystery and night.
(d) A damp, southwesterly breeze.
10. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
(b) Dark Lady
(c) Half Pint
11. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
(b) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
(c) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
(d) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
12. How do the Ganguli family friends react to the news of Ashoke's death?
(a) They take turns helping with household chores.
(b) They all respond with visits, calls, and cards.
(c) They are shocked and don't know what to say.
(d) They tell the Ganguli family that they can now return to India.
13. What catches Moushumi's eye as she goes through Alice's desk?
(a) A sender's name typed on the upper left corner of a letter.
(b) A schedule for Moushumi's classes.
(c) A confused and confusing personal letter to Alices' husband.
(d) A list of applicants Alice didn't finish going through.
14. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) Gone With the Wind.
(b) Shakespeare's poems.
(c) The Red and the Black.
(d) A volume of love poems.
15. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
(a) He feels like he's effortlessly incorporated into their lives.
(b) He is uncomfortable with their overly friendly attitude towards him.
(c) He feels like he doesn't belong and never will.
(d) He feels like they are only pretending to like him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
2. What does Moushumi do with Dimitri's resume?
3. Who does Ashima try to contact first after learning of Ashoke's death?
4. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
5. How did Moushumi's engagement end?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)