|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
(a) The home she will return to in an hour or so.
(c) The world she's always wanted and never had.
2. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
(a) He was wary of her heritage from the start and said so.
(b) He seemed to be while he was in India visiting her relatives.
(c) He loved the customs of her people.
(d) He wouldn't have anything to do with foreign customs.
3. What had Moushumi's family done to find her a husband?
(a) Nothing, they figured she would find someone eventually.
(b) Brought young Bengali men home to visit.
(c) Asked their friends for names of suitable young men.
(d) Sought the help of a marriage broker.
4. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
(a) A set of encyclopedias.
(b) An expensive silk scarf she's admired.
(c) A weekend at a spa.
(d) Plane tickets.
5. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
(a) Maxine wants to meet Gogol's parents.
(b) It's on their way to New Hampshire.
(c) Gogol knows his mother won't rest until she meets Maxine.
(d) Because Maxine is curious about how people from India live.
6. Where do Moushumi and Gogol meet for their first date?
(a) They meet in Central Park.
(b) At Gogol's apartment in New York City.
(c) At Ashima's house.
(d) At a bar that's small, dark, and silent.
7. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(b) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(c) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(d) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
8. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A white flowing wedding dress.
(b) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
(c) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
(d) A traditional Indian sari.
9. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(b) That he's intrigued by Silas.
(c) That he's afraid of dogs.
(d) That he's never had a dog.
10. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
(a) She hopes he can find happiness as great as hers was.
(b) She sees it as fate that eventually he will marry and leave her.
(c) She hopes he doesn't find a girlfriend because then he won't come home.
(d) She is quietly concerned and hopeful.
11. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
(a) A woman of mystery and night.
(b) A jewel of great price.
(c) A damp, southwesterly breeze.
(d) A dark-haired beauty.
12. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
(a) His sister Sonia calls him at Maxine's home.
(b) Maxine's parents speak with Ashima then tell him.
(c) He calls his mother to chat minutes after she received the news.
(d) The police are dispatched because he can't be found.
13. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
(a) She doesn't expect it to be him, they seldom call each other.
(b) They talk every evening by phone so she expects it.
(c) She expects it to be Sonia, they talk often.
(d) She is used to surprises.
14. How do the Ganguli children help their mother after their father's death?
(a) They work out a schedule and each takes turns helping her.
(b) Gogol hates returning home, but Sonia makes up for his lack.
(c) Sonia moves in with her while Gogol visits often.
(d) Sonia isn't able to help but Gogol helps a lot.
15. Why does Ashima make her own Christmas cards?
(a) It's a project for a club she belongs to.
(b) She likes the idea of putting her own personality into them.
(c) It's an idea she got from the book section of the library.
(d) She figures she'll save money this way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of part-time job does Ashima get in chapter 7?
2. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
3. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
4. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
5. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)