|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
(a) That he's never had a dog.
(b) That he doesn't know how to throw a ball to a dog.
(c) That he's afraid of dogs.
(d) That he's intrigued by Silas.
2. What does Moushumi wear for her wedding?
(a) A traditional Indian sari.
(b) A dress chosen for her by her family as tradition decrees.
(c) A white flowing wedding dress.
(d) She wears a suit because she must return to work shortly.
3. What do Moushumi and Gogol do during their free time after they are husband and wife?
(a) They spend time at the beach with their friends.
(b) They shop for items for their apartment.
(c) They visit their families.
(d) They take night classes to keep their licenses current.
4. Why isn't Ashima alarmed when Ashoke calls her in the evening when he is sick?
(a) She is used to surprises.
(b) She expects it to be Sonia, they talk often.
(c) She doesn't expect it to be him, they seldom call each other.
(d) They talk every evening by phone so she expects it.
5. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
(a) The Red and the Black.
(b) Shakespeare's poems.
(c) Gone With the Wind.
(d) A volume of love poems.
6. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
(b) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
(c) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
(d) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
7. Where had Moushumi been at the time of Ashoke's funeral?
(a) In Paris.
(b) She was on an extended visit to India.
(c) Traveling extensively, something she'd always wanted to do.
(d) At Brown University studying for her Ph.D.
8. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
(a) His parents arrange a meeting because he's old enough to marry.
(b) Coworkers invite him to a party she also attends.
(c) He bumps into her on the sidewalk and they laugh about it.
(d) She sees him and is interested and arranges a meeting.
9. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
(a) He has unexplained leg cramps.
(b) He fell and his coworkers rushed him to the hospital.
(c) He has been coughing a lot and thinks it might be pneumonia.
(d) He has a stomach ache, he thinks he ate some bad chicken.
10. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
(b) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
(c) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
(d) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
11. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How much he hates train rides.
(b) How much in love his parents were.
(c) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(d) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
12. What fact delights Moushumi as she begins her eighth semester at NYU?
(a) She's at the top of her class.
(b) She will never again in her life take a class.
(c) She's welcomed back by everyone she meets.
(d) She prefers her classmates over everyone else she'd ever met.
13. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
(a) She sits in the dark and misses her husband.
(b) She gets to know her neighbors better.
(c) She hires a maid just to have someone around.
(d) She makes her own Christmas cards.
14. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
(a) Gifts of money.
(b) Incense and other reminders of their Indian heritage.
(c) Useful household items.
(d) A wide assortment of upscale gifts.
15. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
(a) Spend some time remembering good times with his father.
(b) Get out of the apartment and check into a hotel.
(c) Pick out some mememtos for himself.
(d) Take any leftover clothing to Good Will.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
2. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
3. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
4. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
5. What does Gogol remember in the days after his first date with Moushumi?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)