|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ashima feel about Gogol having a girlfriend?
(a) She hopes he doesn't find a girlfriend because then he won't come home.
(b) She is quietly concerned and hopeful.
(c) She sees it as fate that eventually he will marry and leave her.
(d) She hopes he can find happiness as great as hers was.
2. What kind of wedding do Gogol and Moushumi decide on?
(a) A small wedding at Moushumi's family home.
(b) A typical American wedding like their friends have had.
(c) A traditional Indian wedding with some differences.
(d) They marry in the courthouse during their lunch hour.
3. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
(a) She burns lunch.
(b) She's wearing makeup and a good sari.
(c) She can't remember Maxine's name.
(d) She mumbles, something she only does when she's nervous.
4. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
(b) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(c) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(d) There is no perfect name.
5. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
(b) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
(c) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
(d) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
6. What does Ashoke tell Ashima is the reason he's in the hospital?
(a) He has unexplained leg cramps.
(b) He fell and his coworkers rushed him to the hospital.
(c) He has a stomach ache, he thinks he ate some bad chicken.
(d) He has been coughing a lot and thinks it might be pneumonia.
7. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
(a) Times growing up that they were together.
(b) Mutual friends.
(c) How much they both hated their family's traditions.
(d) Their careers and their educations.
8. Where did Moushumi live while growing up?
(a) They traveled the world during her childhood.
(b) They always lived in America.
(c) In England and America.
(d) In India and America.
9. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A well-organized military campaign.
(b) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(c) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
(d) A three-ring circus.
10. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
(a) Gogol knows his mother won't rest until she meets Maxine.
(b) Because Maxine is curious about how people from India live.
(c) It's on their way to New Hampshire.
(d) Maxine wants to meet Gogol's parents.
11. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
(b) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
(c) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
(d) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
12. What does Dimitri's neighborhood remind Moushumi of?
(a) The home she will return to in an hour or so.
(c) The world she's always wanted and never had.
13. What are Moushumi and Gogol doing when he kisses her in her apartment?
(b) Watching television.
(c) Grading papers for Moushumi's classes.
(d) Talking about shared childhood memories.
14. How does Ashima learn that her husband has died?
(a) Sonia learns first and tells her mother.
(b) Gogol tells her as gently as he knows how.
(c) She calls the hospital and insists on speaking with Ashoke.
(d) The hospital calls and says he has expired.
15. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
(a) Gogol doesn't return his mother's phone calls.
(b) Gogol is out of town and no one knows where he is.
(c) Maxine doesn't like Gogol talking to his family, so he doesn't.
(d) The phone lines are down.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gogol receive news of his father's death?
2. Who or what does Gogol fall in love with when he falls in love with Maxine?
3. What does Maxine notice about Gogol when he plays with her dog?
4. What does Gogol do after window shopping with Moushumi?
5. What does Gogol get Moushumi as a Christmas gift?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)