|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
(b) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
(c) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
(d) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
2. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
(a) A handful because most are too busy to come.
(b) Close to forty people.
(c) So many that they spill into the back yard.
(d) No one comes and the family is upset for Gogol's sake.
3. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
(b) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
(c) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
(d) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
4. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) The back is open.
(b) It only comes to her knees.
(c) She hates white.
(d) It's ugly.
5. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
(a) Whether he is a felon hiding from the law.
(b) What is the reason for wishing to change his name.
(c) Whether his family agrees.
(d) What problems his name has caused him.
6. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
(a) They say nothing, many of their students travel a lot.
(b) They insist Gogol keep up on his studies.
(c) They are concerned and do not like it.
(d) They feel the trip itself will be educational.
7. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
(a) He called out and someone heard his cry.
(b) He climbed out of the wreckage and ran to safety.
(c) He stopped the flow of blood that otherwise would have killed him.
(d) He raised his hand and rescuers saw it.
8. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is promoted over an American teacher.
(b) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(c) He is asked to join a government research project.
(d) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
9. When does the idea to change his name first occur to Gogol?
(a) When reading an issue of Readers Digest.
(b) When relatives in India tell him it's not an Indian name.
(c) When Sonia tells him people laugh behind his back.
(d) When school officials can't pronounce his given name.
10. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
(b) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
(c) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(d) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
11. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
(a) Just a handful but they are good friends of the family.
(b) So many that the Gangulis rent a building on campus.
(c) The whole neighborhood, including their American friends.
(d) Practically none because they have few Indian neighbors.
12. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(b) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(c) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
(d) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
13. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
(b) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
(c) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
(d) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
14. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
(b) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(c) How to pronounce it correctly.
(d) That many people in India have pet names when children.
15. What place does Ashima recall while in labor?
(a) Her childhood home in India.
(b) The apartment she shares with her husband.
(c) No place, she's totally involved in her present situation.
(d) The lake she once visited as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
2. Why doesn't the Ganguli baby get the name it was supposed to get before leaving the hospital?
3. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
4. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
5. What does Ashima try to make for a midnight snack?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)