|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
(a) A stranger who reminds him of his father.
(b) A fellow student from school, a girl he recognizes.
(c) A friend from childhood whom he barely remembers.
(d) A woman who moves because she doesn't like immigrants.
2. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
(a) He doesn't want Gogol to know about the terrible train wreck Ashoke was in.
(b) He feels Gogol should figure it out on his own.
(c) He doesn't like the person his son has become.
(d) He sees that Gogol is interested in other things.
3. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
(b) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(c) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
(d) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
4. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
(b) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(c) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(d) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
5. Where do women in India go to have babies?
(a) An obstetrical clinic.
(b) They stay home and have help from their mother-in-law.
(c) Home to their family.
(d) The maternity ward in a hospital.
6. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He drags his fingers through his hair.
(b) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(c) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
(d) He reads the Globe.
7. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
(a) Only when necessary because paperwork doesn't match.
(b) Methodically, one paper at a time but in no hurry.
(c) He almost boasts to everyone about his name change.
(d) In stealth, not letting his classmates know about it.
8. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
(a) He doesn't want to be the only Indian at the school.
(b) He has been told he will be called by a different name.
(c) He is afraid of the strange building.
(d) He wants to stay home and play.
9. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
(b) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
(c) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
(d) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
10. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
(a) Gogol feels suffocated at school and asks to come home.
(b) Some of Gogol's friends set him up with a girl they know.
(c) Gogol and Ruth have an argument.
(d) Gogol and Ruth start seeing each other.
11. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
(a) She tells him they are starting on a new journey in life.
(b) She says she can't do this.
(c) She says nothing; she is tired and needs her sleep.
(d) She rebukes him for not having done the dishes.
12. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
(b) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
(c) Her father has lost his job.
(d) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
13. In what type of neighborhood do the Gangulis finally purchase a home?
(a) Where Ashoke can get to work quickly.
(b) In an historic area where they will be steeped in tradition.
(c) In the country, where there are no neighbors to look down on them.
(d) An ordinary area where plastic wading pools are left out on the lawns.
14. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(b) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
(c) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
(d) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
15. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(b) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
(c) He is asked to join a government research project.
(d) He is promoted over an American teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
2. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
3. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
4. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
5. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)