|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
(a) He had a boy-girl party with dancing.
(b) He finally had a frosted cake and ice cream.
(c) He said no to a frosted cake and ice cream.
(d) He got presents from friends, something his parents had not allowed before.
2. What does Gogol do with the book his father gives him for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He shuts the book and puts it on a shelf, unread.
(b) He sets it aside to read later when he has more time.
(c) He loses it almost immediately.
(d) He leafs through the book to see what it's about.
3. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
(a) Methodically, one paper at a time but in no hurry.
(b) In stealth, not letting his classmates know about it.
(c) He almost boasts to everyone about his name change.
(d) Only when necessary because paperwork doesn't match.
4. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
(a) He wonders if he did the right thing.
(b) He is concerned that his family will no longer accept him.
(c) He wonders if he now looks more like an American.
(d) He wants to tell passersby that his name is Nikhil.
5. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
(a) Gogol's friends tell him Ruth isn't right for him.
(b) Ruth takes a class in England and that ends the affair.
(c) They have a huge fight and Gogol walks out on her.
(d) Ruth's parents don't like her seeing an Indian so she ends it.
6. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
(a) Dictionaries, calculators, sweaters, and pens.
(b) Mementos of India.
(c) Trading cards for his collection.
(d) Baseballs, footballs and soccer balls.
7. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) Ashima's grandmother.
(b) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
(c) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
(d) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
8. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
(a) He called out and someone heard his cry.
(b) He stopped the flow of blood that otherwise would have killed him.
(c) He raised his hand and rescuers saw it.
(d) He climbed out of the wreckage and ran to safety.
9. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
(a) She hates the clothes she wears.
(b) She fears she'll color a streak in her hair.
(c) She fears she'll forget her Indian heritage.
(d) She has no real concerns, she's pleased with her daughter.
10. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
(a) The difficulty of getting her figure back afterwards.
(b) Raising it in a place so far from home.
(c) Caring for a child with an absent husband.
(d) The pain of childbirth.
11. What did Ashoke do after the train wreck when he had nightmares at night and couldn't sleep?
(a) He paced and talked himself into a calm state.
(b) He went looking for people to be with.
(c) He read books about other countries.
(d) He drank until he could sleep again.
12. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
(b) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
(c) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
(d) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
13. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
(a) She doesn't want to know her future.
(b) She'll be important when she grows up.
(c) She is the true American.
(d) She'll always live between two cultures.
14. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(b) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
(c) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
(d) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
15. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
(a) A stranger who reminds him of his father.
(b) A woman who moves because she doesn't like immigrants.
(c) A friend from childhood whom he barely remembers.
(d) A fellow student from school, a girl he recognizes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
2. What is the one complication about Gogol/Nikhil's new name?
3. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
4. What difference does Ashima notice in her days before and after Gogol's birth?
5. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)