|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A name his child should be proud to carry.
(b) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
(c) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
(d) A pet name.
2. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
(a) A woman who moves because she doesn't like immigrants.
(b) A stranger who reminds him of his father.
(c) A friend from childhood whom he barely remembers.
(d) A fellow student from school, a girl he recognizes.
3. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) She hates white.
(b) The back is open.
(c) It only comes to her knees.
(d) It's ugly.
4. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
(a) Formal names and informal names.
(b) Names to be spoken and names never to be said out loud.
(c) Family names and nicknames.
(d) Pet names and good names.
5. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
(b) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
(c) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
(d) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
6. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Her father has lost his job.
(b) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
(c) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
(d) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
7. How does Gogol/Nakhil feel when people who used to call him Gogol use his new name?
(a) He finds it startling.
(b) He wishes they'd still call him Gogol, he's used to it.
(c) He is pleased that they understand how important it is to him.
(d) He wonders how they can keep his names straight.
8. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
(a) Most of the children are about Gogol's age.
(b) He and Sonia are the only children, the guests are his parents' friends.
(c) Only one, a girl named Moushumi.
(d) There are a few his age, most are older.
9. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(b) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
(c) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
(d) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
10. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
(a) He was reading a book.
(b) He was climbing a mountain.
(c) He was helping his parents clean the yard.
(d) He was crossing a street just like every other day.
11. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
(b) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
(c) An expensive leather jacket.
(d) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
12. Why doesn't the Ganguli baby get the name it was supposed to get before leaving the hospital?
(a) Ashoke and Ashima couldn't agree on a name.
(b) There was a mixup on the birth certificate.
(c) The grandmother's letter never arrived.
(d) Indian babies are never named so early in life.
13. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) One at home and one at a pizza parlor.
(b) One on his actual birthday, another on the weekend when it's convenient.
(c) One with family and one with school friends.
(d) One with friends from school and one with Indian friends of his family.
14. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
(a) She rebukes him for not having done the dishes.
(b) She tells him they are starting on a new journey in life.
(c) She says she can't do this.
(d) She says nothing; she is tired and needs her sleep.
15. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
(a) He finally had a frosted cake and ice cream.
(b) He got presents from friends, something his parents had not allowed before.
(c) He had a boy-girl party with dancing.
(d) He said no to a frosted cake and ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
2. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
3. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
4. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
5. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)