|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
(a) What is the reason for wishing to change his name.
(b) Whether his family agrees.
(c) What problems his name has caused him.
(d) Whether he is a felon hiding from the law.
2. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
(b) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(c) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
(d) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
3. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
(a) He goes a little wild and ends up drunk.
(b) He decides to change his name legally.
(c) He moves back home because he's homesick and he commutes.
(d) Nothing, he finally accepts his name as a part of him.
4. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
(b) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
(c) A name his child should be proud to carry.
(d) A pet name.
5. Where does Gogol first begin to introduce himself to people as Nikhil?
(a) As soon as he gets home he introduces his new self to his family.
(b) At the park where a little boy asks his name.
(c) At the bank where he gets a school loan.
(d) His first day of school in New Haven.
6. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They watch American programs on their television.
(b) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
(c) They work on their English language skills.
(d) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
7. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
(a) All the people of his family who came before him.
(b) The man who lent him the book that saved his life.
(c) God, he is a very religious man.
(d) Gogol, the Russian writer who saved his life in the train wreck.
8. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
(a) She wishes she could learn alongside him.
(b) She is despondent, unused to being alone all over again.
(c) She finds herself at long last with time for herself.
(d) She is concerned that he will forget his Indian heritage.
9. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
(a) He said no to a frosted cake and ice cream.
(b) He had a boy-girl party with dancing.
(c) He finally had a frosted cake and ice cream.
(d) He got presents from friends, something his parents had not allowed before.
10. Why does Gogol tell the judge he's changing his name?
(a) He doesn't like the writer he was named after.
(b) He has always hated his name.
(c) He wants a more normal name.
(d) People can't pronounce his name.
11. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
(a) She faints.
(b) She accuses Ashoke of substituting salt for sugar.
(c) She throws up after breakfast.
(d) She gains weight quickly, which makes them suspect pregnancy.
12. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
(a) No one comes and the family is upset for Gogol's sake.
(b) So many that they spill into the back yard.
(c) Close to forty people.
(d) A handful because most are too busy to come.
13. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
(b) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
(c) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(d) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
14. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) It's ugly.
(b) It only comes to her knees.
(c) She hates white.
(d) The back is open.
15. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
(a) They become true Americans.
(b) They seldom know what's going on with their families in India.
(c) They both become orphans.
(d) They lose touch with their families in India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
2. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
3. What does the man who lends Ashoke the book on the train tell him that he should do?
4. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
5. What does Gogol give his mother as a gift when his baby sister is born?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)