|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(b) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(c) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(d) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
2. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
(a) She finds herself at long last with time for herself.
(b) She is concerned that he will forget his Indian heritage.
(c) She is despondent, unused to being alone all over again.
(d) She wishes she could learn alongside him.
3. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
(a) He is afraid of the strange building.
(b) He wants to stay home and play.
(c) He doesn't want to be the only Indian at the school.
(d) He has been told he will be called by a different name.
4. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
(b) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
(c) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(d) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
5. In what type of neighborhood do the Gangulis finally purchase a home?
(a) An ordinary area where plastic wading pools are left out on the lawns.
(b) In the country, where there are no neighbors to look down on them.
(c) In an historic area where they will be steeped in tradition.
(d) Where Ashoke can get to work quickly.
6. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(b) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
(c) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(d) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
7. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
(a) Family names and nicknames.
(b) Formal names and informal names.
(c) Pet names and good names.
(d) Names to be spoken and names never to be said out loud.
8. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
(a) That he has a meeting and must soon leave for a while.
(b) How beautiful Ashima had been when they first met.
(c) That he'd not wanted children so soon.
(d) The conversation on the train before the train wreck.
9. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
(b) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
(c) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
(d) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
10. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is asked to join a government research project.
(b) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
(c) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(d) He is promoted over an American teacher.
11. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
(a) Yes, because a name is extrememely important in India.
(b) Yes, because announcements cannot be sent out until the child has a name.
(c) No, because Indians believe names can wait.
(d) Only if the child is in poor health and may not live long.
12. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
(a) Mementos of India.
(b) Trading cards for his collection.
(c) Dictionaries, calculators, sweaters, and pens.
(d) Baseballs, footballs and soccer balls.
13. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
(a) He and Sonia are the only children, the guests are his parents' friends.
(b) Most of the children are about Gogol's age.
(c) Only one, a girl named Moushumi.
(d) There are a few his age, most are older.
14. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
(a) He almost boasts to everyone about his name change.
(b) In stealth, not letting his classmates know about it.
(c) Methodically, one paper at a time but in no hurry.
(d) Only when necessary because paperwork doesn't match.
15. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) An expensive leather jacket.
(b) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
(c) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
(d) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
2. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
3. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
4. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
5. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)