|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(b) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
(c) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
(d) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
2. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
(b) He is promoted over an American teacher.
(c) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(d) He is asked to join a government research project.
3. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(b) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(c) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
(d) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
4. Why does Gogol tell the judge he's changing his name?
(a) He wants a more normal name.
(b) He doesn't like the writer he was named after.
(c) People can't pronounce his name.
(d) He has always hated his name.
5. When does the idea to change his name first occur to Gogol?
(a) When Sonia tells him people laugh behind his back.
(b) When reading an issue of Readers Digest.
(c) When relatives in India tell him it's not an Indian name.
(d) When school officials can't pronounce his given name.
6. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
(b) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
(c) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
(d) An expensive leather jacket.
7. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) It's ugly.
(b) The back is open.
(c) It only comes to her knees.
(d) She hates white.
8. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
(b) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
(c) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(d) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
9. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
(a) So many that the Gangulis rent a building on campus.
(b) Practically none because they have few Indian neighbors.
(c) The whole neighborhood, including their American friends.
(d) Just a handful but they are good friends of the family.
10. How does Gogol/Nakhil feel when people who used to call him Gogol use his new name?
(a) He is pleased that they understand how important it is to him.
(b) He wishes they'd still call him Gogol, he's used to it.
(c) He wonders how they can keep his names straight.
(d) He finds it startling.
11. Where does Gogol first begin to introduce himself to people as Nikhil?
(a) At the bank where he gets a school loan.
(b) At the park where a little boy asks his name.
(c) As soon as he gets home he introduces his new self to his family.
(d) His first day of school in New Haven.
12. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
(a) Close to forty people.
(b) So many that they spill into the back yard.
(c) A handful because most are too busy to come.
(d) No one comes and the family is upset for Gogol's sake.
13. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
(a) A fellow student from school, a girl he recognizes.
(b) A woman who moves because she doesn't like immigrants.
(c) A friend from childhood whom he barely remembers.
(d) A stranger who reminds him of his father.
14. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
(b) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(c) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
(d) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
15. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
(b) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
(c) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(d) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
2. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
3. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
4. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
5. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)