|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) An expensive leather jacket.
(b) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
(c) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
(d) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
2. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
(a) They don't know about the relationship.
(b) They are undecided.
(c) They are happy their son is seeing an American girl.
(d) They disaprove.
3. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
(b) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(c) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
(d) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
4. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
(a) They write letters, once as many as three a week.
(b) They call every evening at six, right after dinner.
(c) They communicate sporadically.
(d) They exchange long letters about once a month.
5. What does Ashima try to make for a midnight snack?
(a) Pickles, because she's pregnant
(b) A concoction sold for pennies in Calcutta
(c) Ice cream
(d) Rice Krispies bars
6. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(b) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
(c) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(d) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
7. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
(b) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
(c) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
(d) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
8. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(b) How to pronounce it correctly.
(c) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(d) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
9. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Her father has lost his job.
(b) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
(c) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
(d) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
10. What difference does Ashima notice in her days before and after Gogol's birth?
(a) Now she has something to occupy her time.
(b) Now she isn't the center of attention when Ashoke is home.
(c) Now friends stop by at all hours to see Gogol.
(d) Now she can't seem to organize her days.
11. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is promoted over an American teacher.
(b) He is asked to join a government research project.
(c) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
(d) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
12. How does Gogol/Nakhil feel when people who used to call him Gogol use his new name?
(a) He finds it startling.
(b) He wishes they'd still call him Gogol, he's used to it.
(c) He wonders how they can keep his names straight.
(d) He is pleased that they understand how important it is to him.
13. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(b) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(c) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
(d) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
14. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
(a) A fully furnished apartment near Harvard and MIT.
(b) An apartment in the slums, surrounded by noisy neighbors.
(c) A sunny, comfortable home shared by three immigrant families.
(d) A two-story Georgian home the Ganguli family purchased.
15. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
(a) He got presents from friends, something his parents had not allowed before.
(b) He had a boy-girl party with dancing.
(c) He said no to a frosted cake and ice cream.
(d) He finally had a frosted cake and ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol do with the book his father gives him for his fourteenth birthday?
2. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
3. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
4. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
5. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)