|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
(a) Ashoke's fellow students from college.
(b) A couple the Gangulis met and a professor friend of Ashoke.
(c) Neighbors of the Gangulis.
(d) No one, they don't know anyone in America yet.
2. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
(a) They say nothing, many of their students travel a lot.
(b) They are concerned and do not like it.
(c) They feel the trip itself will be educational.
(d) They insist Gogol keep up on his studies.
3. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A pet name.
(b) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
(c) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
(d) A name his child should be proud to carry.
4. On the plane, why is Gogol happy to sit apart from his parents?
(a) Because he thinks no one will know they are related to him.
(b) Because he enjoys being on his own.
(c) He's glad because Sonia irritates him with her questions.
(d) He isn't happy, he's secretly afraid.
5. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
(a) There are a few his age, most are older.
(b) Most of the children are about Gogol's age.
(c) Only one, a girl named Moushumi.
(d) He and Sonia are the only children, the guests are his parents' friends.
6. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) One with family and one with school friends.
(b) One on his actual birthday, another on the weekend when it's convenient.
(c) One with friends from school and one with Indian friends of his family.
(d) One at home and one at a pizza parlor.
7. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
(b) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
(c) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
(d) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
8. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
(a) They exchange long letters about once a month.
(b) They communicate sporadically.
(c) They write letters, once as many as three a week.
(d) They call every evening at six, right after dinner.
9. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
(a) Yes, because a name is extrememely important in India.
(b) Only if the child is in poor health and may not live long.
(c) No, because Indians believe names can wait.
(d) Yes, because announcements cannot be sent out until the child has a name.
10. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
(a) He wonders if he did the right thing.
(b) He wants to tell passersby that his name is Nikhil.
(c) He is concerned that his family will no longer accept him.
(d) He wonders if he now looks more like an American.
11. What time of day was the train wreck?
(a) At noon, it happened when the depot was most crowded.
(b) In the morning, when animals crossed the tracks looking for water.
(c) At two-thirty in the morning, the middle of the night actually.
(d) In the evening, the engineer was blinded by the setting sun.
12. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(b) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
(c) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
(d) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
13. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
(a) He wishes it was more American.
(b) He doesn't like it because he believes it marks him as different.
(c) He doesn't mind his name.
(d) He hates being Gogol Ganjuli.
14. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) It only comes to her knees.
(b) She hates white.
(c) It's ugly.
(d) The back is open.
15. What does Gogol give his mother as a gift when his baby sister is born?
(a) A blanket for the baby.
(b) A pretty bow for her hair that his father helped him pick out at the store.
(c) A bracelet he made at school.
(d) A picture of his family that he drew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
2. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
3. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
4. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
5. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)