|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
(a) That they are doing it only to acquaint him and Sonia with India.
(b) That they are homesick.
(c) That they are joking.
(d) That they think he's become too American.
2. What time of day was the train wreck?
(a) In the morning, when animals crossed the tracks looking for water.
(b) At noon, it happened when the depot was most crowded.
(c) In the evening, the engineer was blinded by the setting sun.
(d) At two-thirty in the morning, the middle of the night actually.
3. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
(a) They say alternative identities are not used in America.
(b) They say they forgot such things after living in America.
(c) They say the law about names in America makes such identities difficult if not impossible.
(d) They tell people he would only respond to Gogol.
4. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
(a) They write letters, once as many as three a week.
(b) They call every evening at six, right after dinner.
(c) They communicate sporadically.
(d) They exchange long letters about once a month.
5. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
(a) The cries of the people trapped inside.
(b) The still sky above such a terrible scene.
(c) The terrible silence after that first, wrenching crash.
(d) The twisted, battered, capsized bogies of the train.
6. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
(a) She uses the wrong word for baby.
(b) She slips into her native tongue without realizing it.
(c) None, English was her best subject in Calcutta.
(d) She forgets to use the plural when mentioning toes and fingers.
7. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
(b) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
(c) They work on their English language skills.
(d) They watch American programs on their television.
8. On the plane, why is Gogol happy to sit apart from his parents?
(a) Because he thinks no one will know they are related to him.
(b) He isn't happy, he's secretly afraid.
(c) He's glad because Sonia irritates him with her questions.
(d) Because he enjoys being on his own.
9. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
(b) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
(c) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
(d) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
10. What do Gogol's parents think of his wanting to change his name?
(a) They think it's too complicated and he's too old.
(b) They can't imagine why he'd want to do such a thing.
(c) They see it as an insult to his heritage and his family.
(d) They think it might improve his chances for a good job.
11. How Gogol/Nikhil feel about his new name once a few weeks have passed?
(a) He's confused and doesn't know why.
(b) He feels like a new and different person.
(c) He doesn't give it a second thought.
(d) He wishes he'd never done it.
12. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
(a) She begins to shiver profoundly.
(b) She gives thanks for a healthy child.
(c) She asks the nurse to give her child to her immediately.
(d) She cries from the pain.
13. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
(b) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(c) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
(d) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
14. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) How to pronounce it correctly.
(b) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(c) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
(d) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
15. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(b) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
(c) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(d) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
2. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
3. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
4. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
5. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)