|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
(a) She doesn't understand Indian culture.
(b) He doesn't want to be called by any other name.
(c) She says the name on his birth certificate is his proper name.
(d) She feels Gogol is closer to an American name than Nikhil.
2. How Gogol/Nikhil feel about his new name once a few weeks have passed?
(a) He's confused and doesn't know why.
(b) He wishes he'd never done it.
(c) He feels like a new and different person.
(d) He doesn't give it a second thought.
3. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
(a) He and Sonia are the only children, the guests are his parents' friends.
(b) There are a few his age, most are older.
(c) Only one, a girl named Moushumi.
(d) Most of the children are about Gogol's age.
4. What do Gogol's parents think of his wanting to change his name?
(a) They can't imagine why he'd want to do such a thing.
(b) They think it's too complicated and he's too old.
(c) They think it might improve his chances for a good job.
(d) They see it as an insult to his heritage and his family.
5. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
(a) She doesn't understand about Indian pet names.
(b) She can't understand Ashoke's Indian accent.
(c) The birth certificate and Gogol's father state different names for him.
(d) She can't figure out how to pronounce the unfamiliar name.
6. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(b) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(c) How to pronounce it correctly.
(d) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
7. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
(a) She uses the wrong word for baby.
(b) She forgets to use the plural when mentioning toes and fingers.
(c) None, English was her best subject in Calcutta.
(d) She slips into her native tongue without realizing it.
8. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
(a) She finds herself at long last with time for herself.
(b) She is concerned that he will forget his Indian heritage.
(c) She wishes she could learn alongside him.
(d) She is despondent, unused to being alone all over again.
9. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is promoted over an American teacher.
(b) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(c) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
(d) He is asked to join a government research project.
10. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
(a) They lose touch with their families in India.
(b) They become true Americans.
(c) They seldom know what's going on with their families in India.
(d) They both become orphans.
11. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A name his child should be proud to carry.
(b) A pet name.
(c) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
(d) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
12. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
(a) What problems his name has caused him.
(b) Whether he is a felon hiding from the law.
(c) What is the reason for wishing to change his name.
(d) Whether his family agrees.
13. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
(a) She rebukes him for not having done the dishes.
(b) She tells him they are starting on a new journey in life.
(c) She says nothing; she is tired and needs her sleep.
(d) She says she can't do this.
14. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They watch American programs on their television.
(b) They work on their English language skills.
(c) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
(d) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
15. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
(a) Only when necessary because paperwork doesn't match.
(b) Methodically, one paper at a time but in no hurry.
(c) In stealth, not letting his classmates know about it.
(d) He almost boasts to everyone about his name change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
2. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
3. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
4. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
5. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)