|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
(a) He moves back home because he's homesick and he commutes.
(b) He goes a little wild and ends up drunk.
(c) Nothing, he finally accepts his name as a part of him.
(d) He decides to change his name legally.
2. What does the man who lends Ashoke the book on the train tell him that he should do?
(a) Read widely as that is the same as traveling the world.
(b) Travel and see the world.
(c) Be glad he has family that loves him.
(d) Meet the mans' family at the end of the trip.
3. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
(a) He said no to a frosted cake and ice cream.
(b) He got presents from friends, something his parents had not allowed before.
(c) He had a boy-girl party with dancing.
(d) He finally had a frosted cake and ice cream.
4. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
(b) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
(c) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
(d) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
5. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(b) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(c) How to pronounce it correctly.
(d) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
6. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
(a) What problems his name has caused him.
(b) Whether his family agrees.
(c) What is the reason for wishing to change his name.
(d) Whether he is a felon hiding from the law.
7. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
(a) A couple the Gangulis met and a professor friend of Ashoke.
(b) Ashoke's fellow students from college.
(c) Neighbors of the Gangulis.
(d) No one, they don't know anyone in America yet.
8. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He reads the Globe.
(b) He drags his fingers through his hair.
(c) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(d) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
9. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
(a) They communicate sporadically.
(b) They write letters, once as many as three a week.
(c) They call every evening at six, right after dinner.
(d) They exchange long letters about once a month.
10. How does Gogol go about changing his school documents that were completed using the name Gogol?
(a) In stealth, not letting his classmates know about it.
(b) Only when necessary because paperwork doesn't match.
(c) He almost boasts to everyone about his name change.
(d) Methodically, one paper at a time but in no hurry.
11. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
(a) She shows them how to change his diapers.
(b) She leaves them alone for a while.
(c) She tells them that a child is a fragile thing.
(d) She makes sure their wrist bands match.
12. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
(a) They disaprove.
(b) They are happy their son is seeing an American girl.
(c) They don't know about the relationship.
(d) They are undecided.
13. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They work on their English language skills.
(b) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
(c) They watch American programs on their television.
(d) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
14. Why doesn't the Ganguli baby get the name it was supposed to get before leaving the hospital?
(a) Indian babies are never named so early in life.
(b) Ashoke and Ashima couldn't agree on a name.
(c) The grandmother's letter never arrived.
(d) There was a mixup on the birth certificate.
15. What do Gogol's parents think of his wanting to change his name?
(a) They see it as an insult to his heritage and his family.
(b) They think it's too complicated and he's too old.
(c) They can't imagine why he'd want to do such a thing.
(d) They think it might improve his chances for a good job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
2. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
3. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
4. When does the idea to change his name first occur to Gogol?
5. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)