|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
(a) That they are homesick.
(b) That they think he's become too American.
(c) That they are joking.
(d) That they are doing it only to acquaint him and Sonia with India.
2. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
(b) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(c) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
(d) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
3. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
(a) A friend from childhood whom he barely remembers.
(b) A stranger who reminds him of his father.
(c) A fellow student from school, a girl he recognizes.
(d) A woman who moves because she doesn't like immigrants.
4. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
(a) All the people of his family who came before him.
(b) The man who lent him the book that saved his life.
(c) Gogol, the Russian writer who saved his life in the train wreck.
(d) God, he is a very religious man.
5. Where do women in India go to have babies?
(a) An obstetrical clinic.
(b) The maternity ward in a hospital.
(c) They stay home and have help from their mother-in-law.
(d) Home to their family.
6. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
(a) Yes, because a name is extrememely important in India.
(b) Only if the child is in poor health and may not live long.
(c) Yes, because announcements cannot be sent out until the child has a name.
(d) No, because Indians believe names can wait.
7. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
(a) Gogol and Ruth start seeing each other.
(b) Gogol feels suffocated at school and asks to come home.
(c) Some of Gogol's friends set him up with a girl they know.
(d) Gogol and Ruth have an argument.
8. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is promoted over an American teacher.
(b) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(c) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
(d) He is asked to join a government research project.
9. On the plane, why is Gogol happy to sit apart from his parents?
(a) Because he enjoys being on his own.
(b) He isn't happy, he's secretly afraid.
(c) Because he thinks no one will know they are related to him.
(d) He's glad because Sonia irritates him with her questions.
10. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
(a) His parents discussing how to furnish their new home.
(b) Playing in the dirt because there is no yard yet.
(c) The sound of the kids next door playing baseball.
(d) The movement of the sun's rays across his bedroom floor.
11. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
(a) So many that they spill into the back yard.
(b) Close to forty people.
(c) No one comes and the family is upset for Gogol's sake.
(d) A handful because most are too busy to come.
12. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
(b) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(c) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
(d) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
13. How Gogol/Nikhil feel about his new name once a few weeks have passed?
(a) He wishes he'd never done it.
(b) He doesn't give it a second thought.
(c) He's confused and doesn't know why.
(d) He feels like a new and different person.
14. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
(a) She can't figure out how to pronounce the unfamiliar name.
(b) The birth certificate and Gogol's father state different names for him.
(c) She can't understand Ashoke's Indian accent.
(d) She doesn't understand about Indian pet names.
15. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
(a) She begins to shiver profoundly.
(b) She gives thanks for a healthy child.
(c) She asks the nurse to give her child to her immediately.
(d) She cries from the pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
2. What does Gogol do with the book his father gives him for his fourteenth birthday?
3. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
4. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
5. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)