|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
(a) He stopped the flow of blood that otherwise would have killed him.
(b) He raised his hand and rescuers saw it.
(c) He climbed out of the wreckage and ran to safety.
(d) He called out and someone heard his cry.
2. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(b) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
(c) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
(d) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
3. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
(a) She finds herself at long last with time for herself.
(b) She is concerned that he will forget his Indian heritage.
(c) She is despondent, unused to being alone all over again.
(d) She wishes she could learn alongside him.
4. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
(a) None, English was her best subject in Calcutta.
(b) She slips into her native tongue without realizing it.
(c) She forgets to use the plural when mentioning toes and fingers.
(d) She uses the wrong word for baby.
5. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
(b) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
(c) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
(d) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
6. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
(a) They don't know about the relationship.
(b) They are happy their son is seeing an American girl.
(c) They are undecided.
(d) They disaprove.
7. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
(a) A friend from childhood whom he barely remembers.
(b) A fellow student from school, a girl he recognizes.
(c) A woman who moves because she doesn't like immigrants.
(d) A stranger who reminds him of his father.
8. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
(a) He doesn't like the person his son has become.
(b) He feels Gogol should figure it out on his own.
(c) He doesn't want Gogol to know about the terrible train wreck Ashoke was in.
(d) He sees that Gogol is interested in other things.
9. Where do women in India go to have babies?
(a) The maternity ward in a hospital.
(b) An obstetrical clinic.
(c) Home to their family.
(d) They stay home and have help from their mother-in-law.
10. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
(b) They watch American programs on their television.
(c) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
(d) They work on their English language skills.
11. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(b) He is asked to join a government research project.
(c) He is promoted over an American teacher.
(d) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
12. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(b) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
(c) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
(d) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
13. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
(b) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
(c) An expensive leather jacket.
(d) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
14. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A name his child should be proud to carry.
(b) A pet name.
(c) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
(d) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
15. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(b) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
(c) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
(d) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
2. What does the man who lends Ashoke the book on the train tell him that he should do?
3. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
4. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
5. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)