|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
(a) Family names and nicknames.
(b) Pet names and good names.
(c) Formal names and informal names.
(d) Names to be spoken and names never to be said out loud.
2. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
(a) She'll always live between two cultures.
(b) She doesn't want to know her future.
(c) She is the true American.
(d) She'll be important when she grows up.
3. Why does Gogol tell the judge he's changing his name?
(a) He doesn't like the writer he was named after.
(b) He wants a more normal name.
(c) People can't pronounce his name.
(d) He has always hated his name.
4. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
(a) The sound of the kids next door playing baseball.
(b) His parents discussing how to furnish their new home.
(c) Playing in the dirt because there is no yard yet.
(d) The movement of the sun's rays across his bedroom floor.
5. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
(a) A handful because most are too busy to come.
(b) Close to forty people.
(c) No one comes and the family is upset for Gogol's sake.
(d) So many that they spill into the back yard.
6. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(b) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
(c) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(d) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
7. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(b) He reads the Globe.
(c) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
(d) He drags his fingers through his hair.
8. When does the idea to change his name first occur to Gogol?
(a) When relatives in India tell him it's not an Indian name.
(b) When reading an issue of Readers Digest.
(c) When school officials can't pronounce his given name.
(d) When Sonia tells him people laugh behind his back.
9. How Gogol/Nikhil feel about his new name once a few weeks have passed?
(a) He wishes he'd never done it.
(b) He's confused and doesn't know why.
(c) He feels like a new and different person.
(d) He doesn't give it a second thought.
10. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
(a) They say the law about names in America makes such identities difficult if not impossible.
(b) They say alternative identities are not used in America.
(c) They tell people he would only respond to Gogol.
(d) They say they forgot such things after living in America.
11. What time of day was the train wreck?
(a) At noon, it happened when the depot was most crowded.
(b) At two-thirty in the morning, the middle of the night actually.
(c) In the morning, when animals crossed the tracks looking for water.
(d) In the evening, the engineer was blinded by the setting sun.
12. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
(a) She faints.
(b) She accuses Ashoke of substituting salt for sugar.
(c) She throws up after breakfast.
(d) She gains weight quickly, which makes them suspect pregnancy.
13. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
(b) Ashima's grandmother.
(c) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
(d) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
14. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
(a) He was crossing a street just like every other day.
(b) He was helping his parents clean the yard.
(c) He was reading a book.
(d) He was climbing a mountain.
15. Why doesn't the Ganguli baby get the name it was supposed to get before leaving the hospital?
(a) Indian babies are never named so early in life.
(b) There was a mixup on the birth certificate.
(c) The grandmother's letter never arrived.
(d) Ashoke and Ashima couldn't agree on a name.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
2. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
3. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
4. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
5. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)