|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
(b) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
(c) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(d) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
2. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
(a) He doesn't want Gogol to know about the terrible train wreck Ashoke was in.
(b) He sees that Gogol is interested in other things.
(c) He doesn't like the person his son has become.
(d) He feels Gogol should figure it out on his own.
3. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
(a) They can't find their luggage.
(b) They look for a taxi to carry them to their destination.
(c) They are swallowed by hugs and kisses.
(d) They are detained by security.
4. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
(b) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
(c) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
(d) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
5. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(b) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
(c) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
(d) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
6. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
(a) She forgets to use the plural when mentioning toes and fingers.
(b) None, English was her best subject in Calcutta.
(c) She slips into her native tongue without realizing it.
(d) She uses the wrong word for baby.
7. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
(a) An apartment in the slums, surrounded by noisy neighbors.
(b) A two-story Georgian home the Ganguli family purchased.
(c) A fully furnished apartment near Harvard and MIT.
(d) A sunny, comfortable home shared by three immigrant families.
8. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
(a) The movement of the sun's rays across his bedroom floor.
(b) His parents discussing how to furnish their new home.
(c) Playing in the dirt because there is no yard yet.
(d) The sound of the kids next door playing baseball.
9. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
(a) He doesn't want to be called by any other name.
(b) She doesn't understand Indian culture.
(c) She feels Gogol is closer to an American name than Nikhil.
(d) She says the name on his birth certificate is his proper name.
10. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(b) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
(c) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
(d) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
11. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
(a) The terrible silence after that first, wrenching crash.
(b) The still sky above such a terrible scene.
(c) The cries of the people trapped inside.
(d) The twisted, battered, capsized bogies of the train.
12. How Gogol/Nikhil feel about his new name once a few weeks have passed?
(a) He doesn't give it a second thought.
(b) He feels like a new and different person.
(c) He wishes he'd never done it.
(d) He's confused and doesn't know why.
13. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(b) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(c) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
(d) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
14. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
(b) An expensive leather jacket.
(c) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
(d) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
15. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
(b) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
(c) They work on their English language skills.
(d) They watch American programs on their television.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
2. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
3. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
4. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
5. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)