|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
(a) They say alternative identities are not used in America.
(b) They tell people he would only respond to Gogol.
(c) They say the law about names in America makes such identities difficult if not impossible.
(d) They say they forgot such things after living in America.
2. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
(a) He doesn't want Gogol to know about the terrible train wreck Ashoke was in.
(b) He doesn't like the person his son has become.
(c) He sees that Gogol is interested in other things.
(d) He feels Gogol should figure it out on his own.
3. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
(a) He feels he's somewhat of an expert on the subject.
(b) It filled a void in his class schedule.
(c) One of the presenters is a cousin from India whom he has never met.
(d) He feels it might answer questions about his heritage.
4. What difference does Ashima notice in her days before and after Gogol's birth?
(a) Now she has something to occupy her time.
(b) Now friends stop by at all hours to see Gogol.
(c) Now she can't seem to organize her days.
(d) Now she isn't the center of attention when Ashoke is home.
5. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
(a) They look for a taxi to carry them to their destination.
(b) They are swallowed by hugs and kisses.
(c) They can't find their luggage.
(d) They are detained by security.
6. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
(b) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
(c) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
(d) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
7. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
(b) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(c) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
(d) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
8. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
(a) She asks the nurse to give her child to her immediately.
(b) She cries from the pain.
(c) She begins to shiver profoundly.
(d) She gives thanks for a healthy child.
9. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
(a) No one, they don't know anyone in America yet.
(b) A couple the Gangulis met and a professor friend of Ashoke.
(c) Ashoke's fellow students from college.
(d) Neighbors of the Gangulis.
10. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
(b) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
(c) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
(d) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
11. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
(a) She has no real concerns, she's pleased with her daughter.
(b) She fears she'll forget her Indian heritage.
(c) She fears she'll color a streak in her hair.
(d) She hates the clothes she wears.
12. Where do women in India go to have babies?
(a) An obstetrical clinic.
(b) They stay home and have help from their mother-in-law.
(c) Home to their family.
(d) The maternity ward in a hospital.
13. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(b) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
(c) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
(d) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
14. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
(a) She can't understand Ashoke's Indian accent.
(b) She can't figure out how to pronounce the unfamiliar name.
(c) The birth certificate and Gogol's father state different names for him.
(d) She doesn't understand about Indian pet names.
15. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
(a) They seldom know what's going on with their families in India.
(b) They lose touch with their families in India.
(c) They become true Americans.
(d) They both become orphans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Ashima recall while in labor?
2. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
3. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
4. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
5. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)