|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
(a) The stores them in their original boxes for future use.
(b) She finds places for them in Gogol's crowded room.
(c) She returns those that are duplicates for gift certificates.
(d) She sets them aside for regifting.
2. What does the man who lends Ashoke the book on the train tell him that he should do?
(a) Be glad he has family that loves him.
(b) Meet the mans' family at the end of the trip.
(c) Travel and see the world.
(d) Read widely as that is the same as traveling the world.
3. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
(a) She'll always live between two cultures.
(b) She is the true American.
(c) She'll be important when she grows up.
(d) She doesn't want to know her future.
4. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) Ashima's grandmother.
(b) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
(c) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
(d) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
5. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
(b) An expensive leather jacket.
(c) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
(d) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
6. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
(a) God, he is a very religious man.
(b) Gogol, the Russian writer who saved his life in the train wreck.
(c) The man who lent him the book that saved his life.
(d) All the people of his family who came before him.
7. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
(a) So many that the Gangulis rent a building on campus.
(b) The whole neighborhood, including their American friends.
(c) Practically none because they have few Indian neighbors.
(d) Just a handful but they are good friends of the family.
8. On the plane, why is Gogol happy to sit apart from his parents?
(a) Because he enjoys being on his own.
(b) Because he thinks no one will know they are related to him.
(c) He's glad because Sonia irritates him with her questions.
(d) He isn't happy, he's secretly afraid.
9. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(b) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
(c) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
(d) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
10. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
(a) Gogol and Ruth have an argument.
(b) Some of Gogol's friends set him up with a girl they know.
(c) Gogol feels suffocated at school and asks to come home.
(d) Gogol and Ruth start seeing each other.
11. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
(a) That they think he's become too American.
(b) That they are doing it only to acquaint him and Sonia with India.
(c) That they are joking.
(d) That they are homesick.
12. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
(b) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
(c) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
(d) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
13. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(b) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(c) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(d) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
14. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
(a) Playing in the dirt because there is no yard yet.
(b) The sound of the kids next door playing baseball.
(c) The movement of the sun's rays across his bedroom floor.
(d) His parents discussing how to furnish their new home.
15. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
(a) One of the presenters is a cousin from India whom he has never met.
(b) It filled a void in his class schedule.
(c) He feels it might answer questions about his heritage.
(d) He feels he's somewhat of an expert on the subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol give his mother as a gift when his baby sister is born?
2. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
3. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
4. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
5. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)