|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
(a) She returns those that are duplicates for gift certificates.
(b) She finds places for them in Gogol's crowded room.
(c) She sets them aside for regifting.
(d) The stores them in their original boxes for future use.
2. What time of day was the train wreck?
(a) At noon, it happened when the depot was most crowded.
(b) In the morning, when animals crossed the tracks looking for water.
(c) In the evening, the engineer was blinded by the setting sun.
(d) At two-thirty in the morning, the middle of the night actually.
3. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(b) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
(c) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(d) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
4. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
(a) She is relieved to finally have a decent yard.
(b) She wishes there were more people from India nearby.
(c) She dislikes the house her husband insisted they rent.
(d) She finds it more distressing than moving from Calcutta to America.
5. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
(a) Raising it in a place so far from home.
(b) The difficulty of getting her figure back afterwards.
(c) Caring for a child with an absent husband.
(d) The pain of childbirth.
6. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
(a) It filled a void in his class schedule.
(b) He feels it might answer questions about his heritage.
(c) One of the presenters is a cousin from India whom he has never met.
(d) He feels he's somewhat of an expert on the subject.
7. Why does Gogol tell the judge he's changing his name?
(a) He doesn't like the writer he was named after.
(b) He has always hated his name.
(c) He wants a more normal name.
(d) People can't pronounce his name.
8. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
(a) She says the name on his birth certificate is his proper name.
(b) She doesn't understand Indian culture.
(c) He doesn't want to be called by any other name.
(d) She feels Gogol is closer to an American name than Nikhil.
9. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
(a) He doesn't mind his name.
(b) He hates being Gogol Ganjuli.
(c) He wishes it was more American.
(d) He doesn't like it because he believes it marks him as different.
10. On the plane, why is Gogol happy to sit apart from his parents?
(a) Because he enjoys being on his own.
(b) He isn't happy, he's secretly afraid.
(c) Because he thinks no one will know they are related to him.
(d) He's glad because Sonia irritates him with her questions.
11. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(b) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
(c) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(d) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
12. In what type of neighborhood do the Gangulis finally purchase a home?
(a) Where Ashoke can get to work quickly.
(b) An ordinary area where plastic wading pools are left out on the lawns.
(c) In the country, where there are no neighbors to look down on them.
(d) In an historic area where they will be steeped in tradition.
13. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
(b) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(c) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
(d) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
14. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(b) He reads the Globe.
(c) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
(d) He drags his fingers through his hair.
15. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(b) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(c) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
(d) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
2. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
3. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
4. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
5. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)