|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
(b) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(c) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
(d) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
2. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
(b) Her father has lost his job.
(c) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
(d) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
3. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
(a) He has been told he will be called by a different name.
(b) He wants to stay home and play.
(c) He is afraid of the strange building.
(d) He doesn't want to be the only Indian at the school.
4. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(b) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(c) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
(d) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
5. What is the one complication about Gogol/Nikhil's new name?
(a) He forgets and signs his old name every so often.
(b) He only wishes he'd done it years earlier.
(c) He doesn't feel like a Nikhil.
(d) He can't remember to respond to his new name.
6. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
(a) Other immigrants from India.
(b) Out-of-work Americans.
(c) A mix of peoples from all over the world.
(d) Families of professors at Harvard.
7. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
(a) A gift certificate, because he doen't know what Gogol wants.
(b) An expensive leather jacket.
(c) A book of short stories by Nikoli Gogol.
(d) The baseball bat Gogol truly wanted.
8. Why does Gogol/Nakhid take a class in Indian novels written in English?
(a) He feels it might answer questions about his heritage.
(b) He feels he's somewhat of an expert on the subject.
(c) It filled a void in his class schedule.
(d) One of the presenters is a cousin from India whom he has never met.
9. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
(b) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
(c) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
(d) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
10. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
(b) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
(c) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(d) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
11. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
(a) They look for a taxi to carry them to their destination.
(b) They are detained by security.
(c) They are swallowed by hugs and kisses.
(d) They can't find their luggage.
12. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
(b) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(c) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(d) How to pronounce it correctly.
13. Are there many children about Gogol''s age at his second birthday party?
(a) Most of the children are about Gogol's age.
(b) He and Sonia are the only children, the guests are his parents' friends.
(c) There are a few his age, most are older.
(d) Only one, a girl named Moushumi.
14. Where do women in India go to have babies?
(a) They stay home and have help from their mother-in-law.
(b) The maternity ward in a hospital.
(c) An obstetrical clinic.
(d) Home to their family.
15. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
(a) Trading cards for his collection.
(b) Mementos of India.
(c) Dictionaries, calculators, sweaters, and pens.
(d) Baseballs, footballs and soccer balls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
2. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
3. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
4. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
5. How does Gogol/Nakhil feel when people who used to call him Gogol use his new name?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)