|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
(a) They are swallowed by hugs and kisses.
(b) They look for a taxi to carry them to their destination.
(c) They can't find their luggage.
(d) They are detained by security.
2. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
(a) That they are doing it only to acquaint him and Sonia with India.
(b) That they are homesick.
(c) That they think he's become too American.
(d) That they are joking.
3. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
(a) They exchange long letters about once a month.
(b) They call every evening at six, right after dinner.
(c) They write letters, once as many as three a week.
(d) They communicate sporadically.
4. What does the school counselor say about Gogol missing so much school?
(a) They insist Gogol keep up on his studies.
(b) They feel the trip itself will be educational.
(c) They are concerned and do not like it.
(d) They say nothing, many of their students travel a lot.
5. What does the judge ask Gogol when he goes to court to change his name?
(a) Whether his family agrees.
(b) Whether he is a felon hiding from the law.
(c) What problems his name has caused him.
(d) What is the reason for wishing to change his name.
6. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
(b) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
(c) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
(d) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
7. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
(a) He sees that Gogol is interested in other things.
(b) He feels Gogol should figure it out on his own.
(c) He doesn't like the person his son has become.
(d) He doesn't want Gogol to know about the terrible train wreck Ashoke was in.
8. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
(a) Ashima is overcome by tears and can't bring him herself.
(b) Gogol asks his father to bring him.
(c) Ashima gets sick riding in a car so Ashoke must take him.
(d) It's a tradition in India for a father to do this.
9. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
(a) He moves back home because he's homesick and he commutes.
(b) He decides to change his name legally.
(c) Nothing, he finally accepts his name as a part of him.
(d) He goes a little wild and ends up drunk.
10. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
(a) She has no real concerns, she's pleased with her daughter.
(b) She fears she'll color a streak in her hair.
(c) She hates the clothes she wears.
(d) She fears she'll forget her Indian heritage.
11. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
(b) How to pronounce it correctly.
(c) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(d) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
12. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
(a) So many that the Gangulis rent a building on campus.
(b) Practically none because they have few Indian neighbors.
(c) Just a handful but they are good friends of the family.
(d) The whole neighborhood, including their American friends.
13. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(b) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(c) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
(d) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
14. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
(a) He stopped the flow of blood that otherwise would have killed him.
(b) He climbed out of the wreckage and ran to safety.
(c) He raised his hand and rescuers saw it.
(d) He called out and someone heard his cry.
15. What does the man who lends Ashoke the book on the train tell him that he should do?
(a) Be glad he has family that loves him.
(b) Meet the mans' family at the end of the trip.
(c) Travel and see the world.
(d) Read widely as that is the same as traveling the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
2. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
3. What time of day was the train wreck?
4. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
5. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)