|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what type of neighborhood do the Gangulis finally purchase a home?
(a) In the country, where there are no neighbors to look down on them.
(b) In an historic area where they will be steeped in tradition.
(c) An ordinary area where plastic wading pools are left out on the lawns.
(d) Where Ashoke can get to work quickly.
2. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
(a) He feels like they are only pretending to like him.
(b) He is uncomfortable with their overly friendly attitude towards him.
(c) He feels like he's effortlessly incorporated into their lives.
(d) He feels like he doesn't belong and never will.
3. What does Gogol give his mother as a gift when his baby sister is born?
(a) A picture of his family that he drew.
(b) A pretty bow for her hair that his father helped him pick out at the store.
(c) A blanket for the baby.
(d) A bracelet he made at school.
4. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
(a) He wonders if he did the right thing.
(b) He wants to tell passersby that his name is Nikhil.
(c) He wonders if he now looks more like an American.
(d) He is concerned that his family will no longer accept him.
5. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
(b) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(c) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(d) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important to Moushumi to know that she is still capable of living on her own?
2. What book does Moushumi look for that was inscribed for her by Dimitri?
3. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
4. How does Gogol feel when he and Moushumi return from Paris to America and attend parties?
5. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)