|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(b) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(c) How to pronounce it correctly.
(d) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
2. When does the idea to change his name first occur to Gogol?
(a) When school officials can't pronounce his given name.
(b) When Sonia tells him people laugh behind his back.
(c) When reading an issue of Readers Digest.
(d) When relatives in India tell him it's not an Indian name.
3. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
(a) She was delighted with the sunny, spacious rooms.
(b) It was smaller than Ashoke had described.
(c) It was not at all what she had expected.
(d) She didn't like the neighbors.
4. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
(a) He was wary of her heritage from the start and said so.
(b) He loved the customs of her people.
(c) He wouldn't have anything to do with foreign customs.
(d) He seemed to be while he was in India visiting her relatives.
5. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
(b) How much he hates train rides.
(c) How much in love his parents were.
(d) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
2. What do Maxine's parents do for Gogol while in New Hampshire?
3. What does Ashima do before Christmas while Ashoke is in Ohio?
4. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
5. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)