|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gogol bring Maxine to his parents home?
(a) Because Maxine is curious about how people from India live.
(b) It's on their way to New Hampshire.
(c) Gogol knows his mother won't rest until she meets Maxine.
(d) Maxine wants to meet Gogol's parents.
2. Why doesn't the Ganguli baby get the name it was supposed to get before leaving the hospital?
(a) The grandmother's letter never arrived.
(b) Ashoke and Ashima couldn't agree on a name.
(c) Indian babies are never named so early in life.
(d) There was a mixup on the birth certificate.
3. How does Maxine treat Gogol's parents when they visit on their way to New Hampshire?
(a) She asks questions that are much too personal.
(b) She is polite and draws them out in conversation.
(c) She ignores them, talking only to Gogol.
(d) She insults them by refusing to eat their Indian food.
4. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
(a) Gogol doesn't return his mother's phone calls.
(b) Gogol is out of town and no one knows where he is.
(c) The phone lines are down.
(d) Maxine doesn't like Gogol talking to his family, so he doesn't.
5. What does Gogol decide to do a few weeks after moving away from his family and starting college?
(a) He moves back home because he's homesick and he commutes.
(b) He goes a little wild and ends up drunk.
(c) He decides to change his name legally.
(d) Nothing, he finally accepts his name as a part of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
2. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
3. How do Maxine's parents react to Gogol when he meets them?
4. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
5. Where does Gogol first begin to introduce himself to people as Nikhil?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)