|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What embarrasses Gogol about the meal his mother has prepared for his and Maxine's visit?
(a) It's not the kind of food Maxine is used to.
(b) His mother didn't care enough to prepare a nice meal.
(c) There is too much food and it's too rich for the warm weather.
(d) It's too spicy; Maxine doesn't like spicy food.
2. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
(a) They both become orphans.
(b) They seldom know what's going on with their families in India.
(c) They become true Americans.
(d) They lose touch with their families in India.
3. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
(a) She finds it more distressing than moving from Calcutta to America.
(b) She wishes there were more people from India nearby.
(c) She dislikes the house her husband insisted they rent.
(d) She is relieved to finally have a decent yard.
4. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
(a) Because he's drifting farther and farther away from his roots.
(b) Because she hasn't seen him and misses him.
(c) Because she wants him to meet Sonia's new boyfriend.
(d) Because Ashoke is leaving for a project in Ohio.
5. What do Moushumi and Gogol talk about on their first date?
(a) Times growing up that they were together.
(b) Mutual friends.
(c) Their careers and their educations.
(d) How much they both hated their family's traditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
2. What place does Ashima recall while in labor?
3. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
4. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
5. Why can't Ashima get hold of Gogol to tell him of his father's death?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)