|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
(a) That he'd not wanted children so soon.
(b) How beautiful Ashima had been when they first met.
(c) That he has a meeting and must soon leave for a while.
(d) The conversation on the train before the train wreck.
2. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
(a) They say the law about names in America makes such identities difficult if not impossible.
(b) They tell people he would only respond to Gogol.
(c) They say they forgot such things after living in America.
(d) They say alternative identities are not used in America.
3. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
(a) They will ask an American because they want an American name.
(b) They have asked Ashoke's relatives in India to come up with a suitable name.
(c) Ashoke, because Indian fathers always name their children.
(d) Ashima's grandmother.
4. How many invited Indian immigrants come to Gogol's second birthday party?
(a) No one comes and the family is upset for Gogol's sake.
(b) So many that they spill into the back yard.
(c) A handful because most are too busy to come.
(d) Close to forty people.
5. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
(a) They are happy their son is seeing an American girl.
(b) They disaprove.
(c) They are undecided.
(d) They don't know about the relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
2. What is the one complication about Gogol/Nikhil's new name?
3. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
4. How does Gogol feel after leaving the courthouse with a changed name?
5. What did Ashoke do after the train wreck when he had nightmares at night and couldn't sleep?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)