|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
(a) She uses the wrong word for baby.
(b) None, English was her best subject in Calcutta.
(c) She slips into her native tongue without realizing it.
(d) She forgets to use the plural when mentioning toes and fingers.
2. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
(a) A couple the Gangulis met and a professor friend of Ashoke.
(b) Ashoke's fellow students from college.
(c) Neighbors of the Gangulis.
(d) No one, they don't know anyone in America yet.
3. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
(a) They let Sonia and Gogol choose American food at the supermarket.
(b) They wear American clothes even in their own home.
(c) They buy season tickets to sporting events.
(d) They cease celebrating Indian holidays.
4. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(b) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(c) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
(d) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
5. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
(a) Her grandmother has had a stroke.
(b) Her little brother's wedding has been called off.
(c) Her father has lost his job.
(d) Their home was flooded and suffered extensive damage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
2. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
3. What concerns Ashima about Sonia as she grows up?
4. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
5. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)