|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
(a) No, because Indians believe names can wait.
(b) Only if the child is in poor health and may not live long.
(c) Yes, because a name is extrememely important in India.
(d) Yes, because announcements cannot be sent out until the child has a name.
2. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
(a) She was delighted with the sunny, spacious rooms.
(b) It was not at all what she had expected.
(c) It was smaller than Ashoke had described.
(d) She didn't like the neighbors.
3. What time of day was the train wreck?
(a) In the evening, the engineer was blinded by the setting sun.
(b) In the morning, when animals crossed the tracks looking for water.
(c) At two-thirty in the morning, the middle of the night actually.
(d) At noon, it happened when the depot was most crowded.
4. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) One with friends from school and one with Indian friends of his family.
(b) One with family and one with school friends.
(c) One on his actual birthday, another on the weekend when it's convenient.
(d) One at home and one at a pizza parlor.
5. When does the idea to change his name first occur to Gogol?
(a) When relatives in India tell him it's not an Indian name.
(b) When school officials can't pronounce his given name.
(c) When reading an issue of Readers Digest.
(d) When Sonia tells him people laugh behind his back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
2. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
3. What do Gogol/Nakhil's parents think about his relationship with Ruth?
4. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
5. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)