|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
(a) Ruth takes a class in England and that ends the affair.
(b) Gogol's friends tell him Ruth isn't right for him.
(c) They have a huge fight and Gogol walks out on her.
(d) Ruth's parents don't like her seeing an Indian so she ends it.
2. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
(a) He has been told he will be called by a different name.
(b) He doesn't want to be the only Indian at the school.
(c) He wants to stay home and play.
(d) He is afraid of the strange building.
3. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) The back is open.
(b) She hates white.
(c) It only comes to her knees.
(d) It's ugly.
4. What two kinds of parties does Gogol have for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) One with friends from school and one with Indian friends of his family.
(b) One at home and one at a pizza parlor.
(c) One on his actual birthday, another on the weekend when it's convenient.
(d) One with family and one with school friends.
5. On the plane, why is Gogol happy to sit apart from his parents?
(a) Because he enjoys being on his own.
(b) He isn't happy, he's secretly afraid.
(c) He's glad because Sonia irritates him with her questions.
(d) Because he thinks no one will know they are related to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Gogol returns to school during his freshman year after meeting Ruth over the weekend?
2. What was Ashoke doing the day he almost died?
3. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
4. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
5. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)