|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the train wreck, what did Ashoke do which he believes saved his life?
(a) He called out and someone heard his cry.
(b) He climbed out of the wreckage and ran to safety.
(c) He stopped the flow of blood that otherwise would have killed him.
(d) He raised his hand and rescuers saw it.
2. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(b) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
(c) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
(d) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
3. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
(b) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(c) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
(d) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
4. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
(b) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(c) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
(d) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
5. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
(a) His parents discussing how to furnish their new home.
(b) Playing in the dirt because there is no yard yet.
(c) The movement of the sun's rays across his bedroom floor.
(d) The sound of the kids next door playing baseball.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ashima's family keep in touch with her after Gogol's birth?
2. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
3. What does Gogol give his mother as a gift when his baby sister is born?
4. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
5. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)