|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
(a) A couple the Gangulis met and a professor friend of Ashoke.
(b) No one, they don't know anyone in America yet.
(c) Ashoke's fellow students from college.
(d) Neighbors of the Gangulis.
2. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
(a) She faints.
(b) She throws up after breakfast.
(c) She gains weight quickly, which makes them suspect pregnancy.
(d) She accuses Ashoke of substituting salt for sugar.
3. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
(a) He doesn't want Gogol to know about the terrible train wreck Ashoke was in.
(b) He sees that Gogol is interested in other things.
(c) He feels Gogol should figure it out on his own.
(d) He doesn't like the person his son has become.
4. How does Ashoke's career advance in Chapter 3?
(a) He is hired as assistant professor of electrical engineering.
(b) He is offered a post in California and accepts.
(c) He is asked to join a government research project.
(d) He is promoted over an American teacher.
5. What is Ashima's second pregnancy like?
(a) She has no problems such as when she had Gogol.
(b) She is in serious danger of having a miscarriage.
(c) She is constantly sick and smells bother her a lot.
(d) She is sick but doesn't let that slow her down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
2. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
3. What place does Ashima recall while in labor?
4. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
5. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)