|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(b) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
(c) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(d) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
2. In what type of neighborhood do the Gangulis finally purchase a home?
(a) An ordinary area where plastic wading pools are left out on the lawns.
(b) In the country, where there are no neighbors to look down on them.
(c) In an historic area where they will be steeped in tradition.
(d) Where Ashoke can get to work quickly.
3. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
(a) The still sky above such a terrible scene.
(b) The terrible silence after that first, wrenching crash.
(c) The twisted, battered, capsized bogies of the train.
(d) The cries of the people trapped inside.
4. What do the Gangulis do with their home while they are in India?
(a) Pay a company to check on it every so often.
(b) The sell it, figuring to buy another, nicer home when they return.
(c) Rent it to an unmarried couple, students at the university.
(d) Turn off the utilities and lock the doors.
5. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(b) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(c) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
(d) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Gogol's parents explain his lack of an alternative identity to friends in India?
2. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
3. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
4. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
5. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)